Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

Please don't tell me that's BiS.

It should not be, but it'll tide you over until Diamond since it's better than the crafted 350 thanks to the 2 extra VIs, and the tome body belongs in the garbage can. Diamond is Crit capped/DH, and 29 more Dex which'll blow any amount of Determination out of the water.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

God that poo poo was loving terrible. And people are begging for classic servers. It's like I mentioned before - people don't want an old game, they long for an old time. People don't really want "classic WoW", they want "2005 WoW." The latter can never exist again.

People got really annoyed when a dev basically tried to say this (something to degree of 'you think you want it but you don't') to the point they use the phrase as a bit of a meme. I can understand the frustration of feeling dismissed because there are some people who are genuinely broke brain enough to like vanilla, but it annoys me how unwilling people are to realizing this phrase is probably true for a lot of people. I'm willing to put money down that there will be a ton of people that will rush to try out classic, only to burn out within a week or two.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

Spending a while 2+ hours on o8s and failing to make it yo enrage makes me wonder if I can even do this poo poo. Often end up dying from the first graven image often even using second wind. I have 42k hp and it keeps happening.

How are you attempting to handle the first one?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Oxyclean posted:

People got really annoyed when a dev basically tried to say this (something to degree of 'you think you want it but you don't') to the point they use the phrase as a bit of a meme. I can understand the frustration of feeling dismissed because there are some people who are genuinely broke brain enough to like vanilla, but it annoys me how unwilling people are to realizing this phrase is probably true for a lot of people. I'm willing to put money down that there will be a ton of people that will rush to try out classic, only to burn out within a week or two.

Yeah. I don't think people realize or remember how loving broken 1.0 WoW was. Even the difference between WoW at 1.0 vs WoW at 1.12 (the last "major" patch before Burning Crusade) was a loving world of difference.

I would venture to guess that at least 75% of people clamoring for Classic WoW never even played it and are just enamored by the idea of it. They won't last a week.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Skaw posted:

How are you attempting to handle the first one?

Eh box strat, just the damage from the line aoe and knockback brings me under and healers seem too occupied to heal so it's very annoying.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

Eh box strat, just the damage from the line aoe and knockback brings me under and healers seem too occupied to heal so it's very annoying.

Are you using Vitality melds at all?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Thundarr posted:

Yunalesca making healers pull their hair out via constant Zombie attacks

We got that in Weeping City.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Last i was aware 40 base was the breaking point for pre-food health for o8s, i get to 45k but I hate using food on just practice

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Skaw posted:

It should not be, but it'll tide you over until Diamond since it's better than the crafted 350 thanks to the 2 extra VIs, and the tome body belongs in the garbage can. Diamond is Crit capped/DH, and 29 more Dex which'll blow any amount of Determination out of the water.

It's worse than the crafted chest

You're trading like 65 crit for like 40 extra DH

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Eureka armor only seems really useful for doing ultimate bahumat due to not dealing with scaling.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

We got that in Weeping City.

Sure, but imagine that happening at savage attack speed rather than 24man speed. And in combination with other weird attacks that'll nickle and dime you to death if you screw them up because the healers can't help you.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
This could very well just be my skewed view point, but the only people I personally know that are interested in actually playing a vanilla WoW are those that love the game now, but never played it in the vanilla days. Many of them got into WoW in Wrath or later, and they just want to see what it was like. What they hear is like legends, like how C'thun and Four Horsemen is still in some of the hardest WoW boss videos, and they want to be a part of that.

As a result, I sometimes wonder if people talking about wanting some FFXI in their FFXIV actually played FFXI extensively.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Aenor and Clemence are sisters.
Oh man I forgot that. That somehow almost makes it better.

Oxyclean posted:

People got really annoyed when a dev basically tried to say this (something to degree of 'you think you want it but you don't') to the point they use the phrase as a bit of a meme.

Every game dev worth their salt knows the maxim 'your players will have a really accurate view of the problem and they will have absolutely horrible solutions for it.'

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 17, 2018

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Just realized it's a bad idea to use ACT in Eureka if you've got logs saved. I have a 212mb file for one session.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

ruta posted:

This could very well just be my skewed view point, but the only people I personally know that are interested in actually playing a vanilla WoW are those that love the game now, but never played it in the vanilla days. Many of them got into WoW in Wrath or later, and they just want to see what it was like. What they hear is like legends, like how C'thun and Four Horsemen is still in some of the hardest WoW boss videos, and they want to be a part of that.

As a result, I sometimes wonder if people talking about wanting some FFXI in their FFXIV actually played FFXI extensively.

Who in their right mind wants to be part of the pain that was C'thun? AQ40 burned out so many people in my guild. I guess they're probably the same people that would find the gate opening garbage to be fun in their own minds.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
what if we're misinterpreting eureka

what if it's not meant to be an ffxi experience

hear me out...

hundred players drop on to an island
they're all trying to screw each other to gain levels
last man standing wins

eureka is battle royale

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ruta posted:

Do they realize that "to be a part of that" literally requires hundreds of hours of grinding to get there?

It's not like you get to just go pop in and see C'thun or 4horsemen.

Do people not remember the times back when it would take weeks to learn a single boss in a 10 boss raid? And then you get to spend all that time reclearing trash because you spent so much time wiping on the boss.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Do they realize that "to be a part of that" literally requires hundreds of hours of grinding to get there?

It's not like you get to just go pop in and see C'thun or 4horsemen.

Do people not remember the times back when it would take weeks to learn a single boss in a 10 boss raid? And then you get to spend all that time reclearing trash because you spent so much time wiping on the boss.

There's a quote from a book series that has absolutely nothing to do with FF14, MMOs, or even gaming in general, and is nevertheless perfect for this situation:

quote:

I know girls who pine for it. They like to play dress up and pretend being Vor ladies of old, rescued from menace by romantic Vor youths. For some reason they never play dying in childbirth or vomiting your guts up from the red dysentery or weaving until you go blind and crippled from arthritis and dye poisoning or infanticide. Well, they do die romantically of disease sometimes. But somehow it's always an illness that makes you interestingly pale and everyone sorry, and doesn't involve losing bowel control.

Some things are just universal.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Trasson posted:

Some things are just universal.

loving seconded.

The me in 2005 had a loving huge amount more free time than the me of 2018 too. I have deadlines and quotas and evaluations and conference calls and planning sessions now instead of being able to read a bit ahead in the syllabus and keep up without missing a class.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

TheHeadSage posted:

Elf club best club. Also repping the Dark Elf sub-club.

:yeah: how did I miss this post

I'm a member of both parts of the best club; my alt on Excal is a Wildwood, and my Duskwight is still very much alive and raiding (badly), but in the bone zone on Balmung until further notice.

ChaseSP posted:

Eureka armor only seems really useful for doing ultimate bahumat due to not dealing with scaling.

I think Ultimate Coil scales down to i345, doesn't it? So even that edge case kind of goes out the window.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So it is, like, possible to gain XP from mobs without killing them solo yourself, in Eureka, right? Because I just spent twenty minutes trying to work with a friendly pub to kill some basic mobs and get past level 1, and I received literally zero XP or any other benefit from the process.

Now the pub was in fact quite high level compared to me, I think they were 12 or 13. Except then when we left I went back to finish off a mob that had been engaged, preventing me from leaving the duty. I had help from another level 1 player. But I didn't get XP for that, either.

Is it because I changed to AST or did the game just figure that since I wasn't in Eureka the first day I didn't need to get XP from killing mobs?

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Nessus posted:

So it is, like, possible to gain XP from mobs without killing them solo yourself, in Eureka, right? Because I just spent twenty minutes trying to work with a friendly pub to kill some basic mobs and get past level 1, and I received literally zero XP or any other benefit from the process.

Now the pub was in fact quite high level compared to me, I think they were 12 or 13. Except then when we left I went back to finish off a mob that had been engaged, preventing me from leaving the duty. I had help from another level 1 player. But I didn't get XP for that, either.

Is it because I changed to AST or did the game just figure that since I wasn't in Eureka the first day I didn't need to get XP from killing mobs?

You don't get exp when grouping with people that are too high in level, I think. It's one of those wonderful design choices that were popular in the stone age that Eureka hearkens back to.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Philonius posted:

You don't get exp when grouping with people that are too high in level, I think. It's one of those wonderful design choices that were popular in the stone age that Eureka hearkens back to.
As best as I can tell you don't get XP or EXP at all, you mostly get to see people saying "NM dino NW snake dog metal gear" and "need a rez please?" in /shout while repeatedly dying to a level 1 mob

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Someone posted a picture of the Altar to Pazuzu on reddit and a comment was this:

quote:

This is really interesting, especially in terms of speculation of how the rest of Eureka is going to go...

"Anemos" comes from the Greek word for wind. Presumably the other Eureka Installations will be based off of other elements (you can even see a volcano off in the distance, so that's probably where the fire themed one is going to be...).

This alter clearly has a mini tornado coming out of it, so assuming the other areas will also have alters you can get from their "Final boss" that involves its respective element.

It's kinda cool trying to guess what those alters will look like. Will the fire alter have a flame? Or a little mini volcano? Literal lava lamp, anyone?

I didn't even think about there being whole different Eureka zones (I'm the dumbass). So how long do you think until the next zone? How many zones will there be this expansion. I guess that explains how the relic questline will stay 100% confined to Eureka.

Hope you all are ready to keep doing this for another 18 months.

I wonder if they will make ANY changes to the gameplay/progression style of Eureka for each zone or if it is going to be "Here's a new zone. Now go 20-40. And here are your two new crystals. Nothing else changes."

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 17, 2018

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Someone posted a picture of the Altar to Pazuzu on reddit and a comment was this:

I didn't even think about there being whole different Eureka zones (I'm the dumbass). So how long do you think until the next zone? How many zones will there be this expansion. I guess that explains how the relic questline will stay 100% confined to Eureka.

Hope you all are ready to keep doing this for another 18 months.

I wonder if they will make ANY changes to the gameplay/progression style of Eureka for each zone or if it is going to be "Here's a new zone. Now go 20-40. And here are your two new crystals. Nothing else changes."

It would be disgraceful if more Eureka zones would keep the exact same gameplay, but it wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I didn't even think about there being whole different Eureka zones (I'm the dumbass). So how long do you think until the next zone?

stop releasing raids and dungeons to push out more eurekas, faster

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

eureka (savage) deletes your character on death and forces you to do the attunement to eureka again. all of ffxiv to this point is now the attunement.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Hoary Boulder and Coultinet are popular not only because of their bit part in the main story, but also because Hoary is also part of a silly little sitcom with his brother Ocher, Ocher's girlfriend Aenor and Aenor's friend Clemence. The gist was introduced in the incidental dialogue during the MSQ but it continued on up through Heavensward. All pretty much because of attention to detail.

Their sitcom is loving hilarious. The funniest bit is where you talk to Aenor who promptly goes "Totally got nailed by Ochre last night, hopefully I can get Hoary too!" and when you talk to Clemence she's pretty much traumatised mentioning "My tent was next to her's". And Coultenet just gives zero fucks to this little drama.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Some of the best lines in the game are also in the tiny chatboxes that pop up from non-interactable NPC's when you get close to them.

The little saga in Ishgard involving the noble woman running away with the servant was incredibly interesting. I'm still annoyed the english translation gave it a sad ending compared to the JP translation.

All this reminds me to check these areas again to see if anything has changed since 4.1

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Does the gear from Eureka even have a unique appearance?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Does the gear from Eureka even have a unique appearance?
I think the FF11 gear that drops from NM are unique, scorpion harness and strider boots. The lockbox gear is all from the gyuki leather set, and the relic weapon/armor don't have changed models. The glows are sick though

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

homeless snail posted:

I think the FF11 gear that drops from NM are unique, scorpion harness and strider boots. The lockbox gear is all from the gyuki leather set, and the relic weapon/armor don't have changed models. The glows are sick though

Also the emp hairpin, which is just a giant-rear end slab of jade. It owns

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm kind of confused, I havn't played Eureka since patch day and really want to see the story, what should I expect going into the instance tonight?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm kind of confused, I havn't played Eureka since patch day and really want to see the story, what should I expect going into the instance tonight?

Well I'm to Level 13 right now and the story is nearly non-existent. I imagine it will happen to me later. Hop in, get on the FATE train, ride it until you're around my level if not higher. Report back for further instruction.

Also don't go in expecting to have fun.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I really do hate Eureka, but

I can't stop farming it. :supaburn:

Sinners Sandwich posted:

There is literally no story in Eureka until the Level 17 quest suddenly gives you cutscenes and tells you at the end of the quest to come back when they patch more content in.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ChaseSP posted:

Last i was aware 40 base was the breaking point for pre-food health for o8s, i get to 45k but I hate using food on just practice

Use food on practice man. The stat differences actually matter when you haven't cleared the fight yet; once you can clear the fight then anything beyond that point is overkill.

And I have a feeling you aren't competing for parses either, so it's not like you have a pressing need to conserve resources to get the high score.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I really do hate Eureka, but

I can't stop farming it. :supaburn:

There is literally no story in Eureka until the Level 17 quest suddenly gives you cutscenes and tells you at the end of the quest to come back when they patch more content in.

Well if the story won't conclude I guess I'm better off waiting because next patch cycle will probably have Eureka fixes

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Use food on practice man. The stat differences actually matter when you haven't cleared the fight yet; once you can clear the fight then anything beyond that point is overkill.

And I have a feeling you aren't competing for parses either, so it's not like you have a pressing need to conserve resources to get the high score.

It's the money cost and I have more health then the caster in our group. I shouldn't be dying if they aren't yet this keeps happening.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Well if the story won't conclude I guess I'm better off waiting because next patch cycle will probably have Eureka fixes

If you're really curious, the only story is that the XIV version of the Dawn Warriors sealed away something in Anemos, which is probably most assuredly related to some masked guy who shows up and asks the Warrior of Light if they seek further power on Anemos. Also, Krile makes an Anchorman reference.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If you're really curious, the only story is that the XIV version of the Dawn Warriors sealed away something in Anemos, which is probably most assuredly related to some masked guy who shows up and asks the Warrior of Light if they seek further power on Anemos. Also, Krile makes an Anchorman reference.

I remember someone talking about it earlier, but does being in side content really give a character plot armor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I remember someone talking about it earlier, but does being in side content really give a character plot armor?

Pretty much. Aside from very rare instances (Shiva Extreme is one that comes to mind and that doesn't have a cutscene involved) they don't really have the ability to change cutscenes to compensate for a character dying or anything so it seems like anyone who appears in sidequest cutscenes will survive.