Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Enishidono posted:

Bah, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm not wholly tired of this genre yet....somehow.

No one is. Outside of Justice league all the comic book movies released in the last year have all done incredibly well. People should stop pretending comic book movies are just a fad at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And even then Justice League still made $650 million.

Enishidono
Mar 10, 2018

JT Smiley posted:

No one is. Outside of Justice league all the comic book movies released in the last year have all done incredibly well. People should stop pretending comic book movies are just a fad at this point.

I don't believe I ever thought of it as a fad, but I can't say I would have guessed it would explode to where it currently is. Not a bad thing, upon some thought. I do enjoy the hell out of most of the comic book movies so far, even Justice League had some good moments.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I think the sense a lot of critics/fans have is that superhero movies are a trend in the same way that gothic supernatural movies were a trend in the late 90s-2000s. Sure, they still make an Underworld or a Resident Evil or whatever each year, and it makes money, but there aren't 10 other sexy vampire techno movies all breaking the box office the same year. In other words, they think the market is shrinking, when the numbers basically say the exact opposite. Comic book adaptations are obviously here to stay, like adapting any form of story. I think the question, at this point, is whether "superheroes" are a stylistic trend, or big and unique enough to really be their own genre, like westerns or noir.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
2017 had 6 big-two comics superhero movie adaptations, all of them were financial successes, and 5 of them were good.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

2017 had 6 big-two comics superhero movie adaptations, all of them were financial successes, and 5 of them were good.

I don't think Justice League was really a financial success unless you define that very broadly

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I find the superhero movies are dyin cloud thing funny when Hollywood in general is deadset on rebooting old franchises ad nauseum because they apparently can't think of anything new to save their lives

At least marvel is giving us a continuous, evolving storyline of good quality, which is more than you can say for most other film franchises

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The fad argument is also bizarre when you consider major comic book movies have been around for 40 years now (Superman ‘78), and have been a Big Deal Event since Batman ‘89. And that’s not even counting the decades of film serials that preceded them.

“But this one will surely be the film that bursts the bubble!” :jerkbag:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Barry Convex posted:

I don't think Justice League was really a financial success unless you define that very broadly

It comes close if you ignore the $1 billion spent on mustache removal.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Barry Convex posted:

Its budget was up around $300 million because of the extent of reshoots and it made $650 million or so, but that doesn't account for marketing (and there was a lot of marketing). So the movie itself may or may not have turned a profit. It will probably do well in terms of merchandise.streaming/home video etc. though. That's a pretty big revenue stream for these movies but it's never really clear how much of one.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was somewhat refreshing that people didn't say that for BP. The narrative there was, "How big of a success will it be?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chill Penguin posted:

Also there was no Chinese star cameo, was there? Like that scientist in some of the Iron Man and Avengers movie.

Edit: who could Jackie Chan play in the MCU?
The Beyonder

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This was my favorite joke from the first Guardians of the Galaxy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
a walking tree and a talking raccoon?? no ones gonna go see that

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The smart thing Marvel did was not go "hey its a marvel movie!" as much as "here's fun space movie!" because really, its Star Wars that's silly.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I liked it better when we got movies like Ang Lee's Hulk.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

site posted:

I find the superhero movies are dyin cloud thing funny when Hollywood in general is deadset on rebooting old franchises ad nauseum because they apparently can't think of anything new to save their lives

At least marvel is giving us a continuous, evolving storyline of good quality, which is more than you can say for most other film franchises

There are new and original scripts but they don't see the light of day, because:

1: No one wants a blockbuster script from a nobody because it's a huge investment and a lot of writers without experience don't take notes well. To add to this a lot of inexperienced writers make dumb mistakes like over describing basic poo poo. So even if the premise is interesting the script gets tossed.

2: A lot of original content and fresh ideas are from women and poc and while attitudes are changing (mostly because of actors who are starting their own production companies and trying to push the industry forward) no big studios want scripts from them, especially if they are also in category one. Source: me starting with Lifetime/Hallmark movies. But to their credit they're specifically looking for women and poc who write.

3: Executives don't think audiences can handle a certain amount of deviation, so when you get past 1&2, your script gets rewritten, or you get pages of notes that chop up and often remove all of the stuff that made it interesting/different.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Chill Penguin posted:

Edit: who could Jackie Chan play in the MCU?

Wolverine

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
People make the comparison with Westerns a lot when talking about the superhero bubble bursting. But Superhero movies are able to have a much broader range of stories and characters than Westerns. A western is a genre. Make 5 a year and people will eventually get sick of it. Superhero movies aren't a genre, they're a template. There's literally no limit to what genre you can explore and what story you can tell. As long as people remember that and keep trying different things and making different types of movies (Logan and Deadpool spring to mind) then they'll keep going. Even if things do cool off, all it takes is one film to reinvigorate things, make a shitload of money, and get people talking (Superman, Batman 89, Spider-Man 2002, Avengers, Dark Knight, Black Panther) and you're back up and running.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, most superhero movies are actually action movies, and you'd be an idiot to predict action movies bursting.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think discussing a trend that has existed for nearly two decades as a fad is pretty silly. What I do wonder is if there is a limit to the audience's yearly superhero movie bandwidth. Like, theoretically, if the DC movies were more well-liked, could a DC cinematic universe co-exist with Marvels with both providing the same output.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Its budget was up around $300 million because of the extent of reshoots and it made $650 million or so, but that doesn't account for marketing (and there was a lot of marketing). So the movie itself may or may not have turned a profit. It will probably do well in terms of merchandise.streaming/home video etc. though. That's a pretty big revenue stream for these movies but it's never really clear how much of one.

I'm reasonably certain it'll eventually turn at least a modest profit when all revenue streams are factored in, but given how many future films it was intended to lay the groundwork for (at least at the time it was greenlit) and how other superhero team movies have performed at the box office, I don't think "eking out a modest profit" qualifies as a success.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think discussing a trend that has existed for nearly two decades as a fad is pretty silly. What I do wonder is if there is a limit to the audience's yearly superhero movie bandwidth. Like, theoretically, if the DC movies were more well-liked, could a DC cinematic universe co-exist with Marvels with both providing the same output.

Or, not that I think this will happen, if Marvel went up to four or even five films per year after the Fox acquisition goes through.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 17, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Barry Convex posted:

I'm reasonably certain it'll eventually turn at least a modest profit when all revenue streams are factored in, but given how many future films it was intended to lay the groundwork for (at least at the time it was greenlit) and how other superhero team movies have performed at the box office, I don't think "eking out a modest profit" qualifies as a success.
No it's not, considering they wanted JL to be bigger than Avengers and I have to assume they spent an assload marketing the thing

There's a reason they fired a lot of the DCCU film execs after JL flatlined.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Koalas March posted:

There are new and original scripts but they don't see the light of day, because:

1: No one wants a blockbuster script from a nobody because it's a huge investment and a lot of writers without experience don't take notes well. To add to this a lot of inexperienced writers make dumb mistakes like over describing basic poo poo. So even if the premise is interesting the script gets tossed.

2: A lot of original content and fresh ideas are from women and poc and while attitudes are changing (mostly because of actors who are starting their own production companies and trying to push the industry forward) no big studios want scripts from them, especially if they are also in category one. Source: me starting with Lifetime/Hallmark movies. But to their credit they're specifically looking for women and poc who write.

3: Executives don't think audiences can handle a certain amount of deviation, so when you get past 1&2, your script gets rewritten, or you get pages of notes that chop up and often remove all of the stuff that made it interesting/different.

Wait, you have written scripts? Is there are a thread about your experiences somewhere? It would be a quite interesting thing to read about. I've only read here and there how scripts get changed completely from what they once where but I'm not sure how stressful and killing that might be for a creative person (graphic design can be annoying in the fact that you come with some really awesome new idea and your client decides they want this generic poo poo with a splatter of colors that don't make sense at all. "I WANT ALL THE COLORS OF THE RAINBOW!",is a thing that actually happended, so I'm wondering if writers get to do the equivalent of the ugly rainbow.)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
People talk so much about comic book movies, but the current lineup of comic book TV series is loving insane, and that's something that runs the entire year long.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Like, theoretically, if the DC movies were more well-liked, could a DC cinematic universe co-exist with Marvels with both providing the same output.

Sure. Fundamentally nobody gives a poo poo that a comic book movie is a comic book movie. Some people may geek out that their favorite comic character is on the screen doing the thing, but what they really care about is that the movie is entertaining. And if the movie is entertaining it's just another blockbuster.

But it's an entirely theoretical question because WB is poo poo and Fox is trying to sell their stuff to Disney, so the real question becomes "How many movies can Marvel put out a year?".

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The most recent F4 flick was just on the telly and I decided to give it a spin thinking it couldn't possibly be as bad as they all say.

Oh man yes, it was. It really was. Dat Victor, holeeeeeeeeeeee crap. I liked that they basically got bored and drunk and decided to go to the negative zone on a whim as a result but that was about it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FlamingLiberal posted:

No it's not, considering they wanted JL to be bigger than Avengers and I have to assume they spent an assload marketing the thing

There's a reason they fired a lot of the DCCU film execs after JL flatlined.

This reminds me of CinemaSins dumb video about how Marvel should just pack it in because Batman and Superman are so much more popular than anything Marvel has, so Justice League is going to absolutely destroy anything Marvel does.

Also someone at my LCS was asking me if Captain Marvel was going to be in Infinity War, and I said no they have said she won't, but maybe the 4th one. I then mentioned that Dr Minerva was cast, and then I realized that the movie is probably going to do something Kree/Skrull war related. We have been told Skrulls are in the movie, but the only named villain so far is a Kree.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Carol Danvers is probably in Infinity War based on what the Russos have said, though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Samuringa posted:

People talk so much about comic book movies, but the current lineup of comic book TV series is loving insane, and that's something that runs the entire year long.
In honesty though, this is an area where a fair bit of fatigue has indeed settled in, at least for me personally. There are literally just not enough hours in the day to be able to handle the amount of content we're getting, so you really have to pick and choose the ones you devote your energy to.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It doesn’t help that the quality of those shows is all over the place. Sometimes it feels like there’s two Iron Fists for every one Legion.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

In honesty though, this is an area where a fair bit of fatigue has indeed settled in, at least for me personally. There are literally just not enough hours in the day to be able to handle the amount of content we're getting, so you really have to pick and choose the ones you devote your energy to.

Yea, that's why I haven't started watching Black Lightning, there's too much other stuff. Arrow keeps trying to get me to stop watching, but it just has the spark enough to keep me going.

Good thing Legion is mostly an off season show so its easy to watch as there's nothing else on.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, that's why I haven't started watching Black Lightning, there's too much other stuff. Arrow keeps trying to get me to stop watching, but it just has the spark enough to keep me going.

Good thing Legion is mostly an off season show so its easy to watch as there's nothing else on.

You should drop something else and watch Black Lightning. It’s surprisingly great.

Like, seriously, if you have to choose between it and Arrow that’s really not a hard choice. gently caress sunk cost fallacy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phylodox posted:

You should drop something else and watch Black Lightning. It’s surprisingly great.

Like, seriously, if you have to choose between it and Arrow that’s really not a hard choice. gently caress sunk cost fallacy.

Also, its on netflix so once the season ends i can just binge it. That's probably why i'm waiting. Binging Legion really helped me, as I was kind of turned off when i watched the Pilot and I was worried the entire show was going to be "whats real and whats not???" which i felt sounded incredibly unsatifying because no character could ever grow because there would be constant resets. But they quickly established a baseline for reality once they got out of the pilot. It was better when you knew that they were inside David's head or someone elses but the unreality of the whole thing was heightened, becuase there was flashes of poo poo that was no obvious.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I can’t vouch for the second season yet, but Agent Carter is another solid watch that’s up on Hulu in its entirety

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can’t vouch for the second season yet, but Agent Carter is another solid watch that’s up on Hulu in its entirety

I found that season two was more fun but less...good, if that makes any sense.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If you watch only one comic book show, it should be Riverdale.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I need to catch up on BL, it went on break during the Olympics and i kinda slacked off on staying with it

Phylodox posted:

I found that season two was more fun but less...good, if that makes any sense.

Yeah iirc i had the same reaction cuz it was stretching its budget for bmovie cgi effects for the villain??

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hulu is US Only. It drives me nuts because all I hear is "x is on hulu!" and like, it might as well be on the moon.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

I'll buy that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Desperado Bones posted:

Wait, you have written scripts? Is there are a thread about your experiences somewhere? It would be a quite interesting thing to read about. I've only read here and there how scripts get changed completely from what they once where but I'm not sure how stressful and killing that might be for a creative person (graphic design can be annoying in the fact that you come with some really awesome new idea and your client decides they want this generic poo poo with a splatter of colors that don't make sense at all. "I WANT ALL THE COLORS OF THE RAINBOW!",is a thing that actually happended, so I'm wondering if writers get to do the equivalent of the ugly rainbow.)

I was once assistant to a producer and got the chance to do a pitch for the biopic of a turn of the century industrialist candy mogul. I wrote a well researched story pitch that built a layered narrative about the dude and his life and family, as well as a historical bible of the topic over a sleepless weekend (unpaid), only to be told "Oh, we actually want to do something completely different now." I was then given charge to write a "scriptment" for a lighthearted kids adventure movie based around the candy property and its adjacent history. Scriptments are like 10 page treatments of a movie that broadly outline characters, stakes, arc, set pieces, etc. It's basically like describing a movie you just saw to a friend over beers.

The producer I was working for said he wanted something "like The Goonies," so (over another sleepless, unpaid weekend) I wrote something very much in the vein of The Goonies; a squad of archetypal, uniquely talented kid characters coming together in defiance of adults to solve a bunch of puzzles of varying complexity and lethality in order to defeat a greedy scumbag villain and discover a MacGuffin that would change their fortunes and the fortunes of their families. I was honestly pretty proud of what I wrote at the time (it was yeeears ago at this point). I turned it over and find out the producer didn't like it at all. Like literally disliked every point I just mentioned above, and when his direct assistant (who loved it) said "but it's exactly what you wanted, it's very similar to The Goonies," the producer admitted he had never seen The Goonies.

He gave the materials to another producer friend who did a nearly complete teardown of the story I wrote and did an incoherent rewrite where the protagonist kid spends most of the time hanging out with the horrifically scarred ghost of a kid who died in a house fire that was based on a totally unrelated movie idea he had and it was... it was insane trash. It was a lunatic cokehead's idea of what constitutes a movie people would take their children to. It was about that time that I realized I needed to get the gently caress out of that job and L.A. in general for a while.

edit: this wasn't even for a story I really gave much of a poo poo about; it was some stupid licensed property that shouldn't be a movie anyway. I can only imagine how bad it would be for something you really put your heart and soul into.

• Locked thread