Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bongwizzard posted:

Ok, that is what I was thinking of, I guess the ones on the Bay out here don't get very rough as I have never felt in any danger on one, even when it is storming.

I have also like never caught much off of them, but have way way better luck getting in my kayak and fishing them backwards.

People have died from slipping on the jacks on the left. I did get hit on the right by an odd wave but i just weathered it. Lost some gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

What do you catch when you fish jetties on your coast from your kayak? It's good to see you posting, too!

Mostly white perch as they are easy, this season I am going to make a real try a stripers a few times though.

This winter has killed me, like 2-3 weeks of sub-20fweather and a super long freeze has hosed freshwater poo poo up out here. We are still 4-5d away from 50f weather when things will pick up. I have gotten nothing exciting so far this year, just one good day on stocked trout (like ~25 in two hours) and a single monster pickerel, which I think I posted?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Mostly white perch as they are easy, this season I am going to make a real try a stripers a few times though.

This winter has killed me, like 2-3 weeks of sub-20fweather and a super long freeze has hosed freshwater poo poo up out here. We are still 4-5d away from 50f weather when things will pick up. I have gotten nothing exciting so far this year, just one good day on stocked trout (like ~25 in two hours) and a single monster pickerel, which I think I posted?

I saw your post about the pickerel but there wasn't a pic included as far as I could tell. Did this one require blood sacrifice, as pickerels historically have?

My local lake was stocked with 10,000 trout over the last two days. I'm going after work.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

So it turns out I needed brain surgery, which I got last week, and I'm going to be laid up for between 6 weeks and 2 months, starting this week. I'm thinking about ordering some cheap fixed-line carp rods from aliexpress, something like these guys:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lieyuwang-3-Color-Carp-3-6-7-2M-Fishing-rod-carbon-spinning-pole-casting-Baitcasting-Rods/32824593214.html

just to give me something to plan out and fuss over for this first month, and then maybe do a bit of bank baitfishing for carp/pike/bass. Has anyone used these cheaper rods? They look decent, and 20 bucks for a 7 meter rod is crazy cheap. I'm sure it won't feel as nice as my actual tenkara rods, but for dunking bait in the lake, they should do fine.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

So it turns out I needed brain surgery, which I got last week, and I'm going to be laid up for between 6 weeks and 2 months, starting this week. I'm thinking about ordering some cheap fixed-line carp rods from aliexpress, something like these guys:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lieyuwang-3-Color-Carp-3-6-7-2M-Fishing-rod-carbon-spinning-pole-casting-Baitcasting-Rods/32824593214.html

just to give me something to plan out and fuss over for this first month, and then maybe do a bit of bank baitfishing for carp/pike/bass. Has anyone used these cheaper rods? They look decent, and 20 bucks for a 7 meter rod is crazy cheap. I'm sure it won't feel as nice as my actual tenkara rods, but for dunking bait in the lake, they should do fine.

Dude, are you okay? I assume that things aren't too grim if you're posting about carp rods and future plans, but ... brain surgery.

I don't have any experience with that type of rod, but I've bought several other rods from AE and all have been surprisingly nice. I think it's a good $20 gamble.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Finally some decent bass, got these two and about three other smaller ones this afternoon. The cost was too high, I lost four square bill crankbaits, one lipless crank, and a spinner bait. This late gets slammed with guys bank fishing for Croppie and panfish so the bottom is just a snarl of old line. I believe I lost most of my lures on what seems like a piece of hundred pound braid that stretches along the creek channel, of course the most productive spot for bass most of the time. I actually managed to get it to the surface for a second before it sawed through my floro, which only cost me a drop shot rig.

I think I have a snag hook somewhere and I may go try to have a loving piece of line out of the water tomorrow.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Finally some decent bass, got these two and about three other smaller ones this afternoon. The cost was too high, I lost four square bill crankbaits, one lipless crank, and a spinner bait. This late gets slammed with guys bank fishing for Croppie and panfish so the bottom is just a snarl of old line. I believe I lost most of my lures on what seems like a piece of hundred pound braid that stretches along the creek channel, of course the most productive spot for bass most of the time. I actually managed to get it to the surface for a second before it sawed through my floro, which only cost me a drop shot rig.

I think I have a snag hook somewhere and I may go try to have a loving piece of line out of the water tomorrow.

Those are some nice early bass! Were they lethargic fighters in the colder water?

And I'm really sorry to hear about your lures. I know your tackle standards are super high and that poo poo isn't cheap. Do you think you'd be able to recover any of it if you dragged the bottom with like a grappling hook and rope to clear out the scrap line? It probably wouldn't be very fun, but might be worth the effort if you fish there a lot.

I got out to the lake for about 45 minutes of fishing last night. I had a little stockie on my Powerbait lazy rod, but it wiggled off the hook before I could get it in the net. I saw its face, though. We locked eyes. I also lost my first dick spoon off the bottom with my ultralight setup. So it goes.

Coast day tomorrow! :dance:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I SAW A HUMPBACK WHALE AT WORK TODAY

I did not catch it :(

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Tastes like dolphin.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

i had a nice trip to a lil fishing shop today, got a $35 mitchell rod/reel combo that the dude said was a great all-purpose beginner rod, strung it with 8# line, got a few various sizes of hooks, splitshot, egg sinkers, swivels, a few spinner lures, and some rubber minnowy thingers. oh and a license duh. gonna go out tomorrow and try to catch some bass, catfish, or pike, all of which are in season and likely-ish to live in the allegheny basin. excite!

alnilam fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 17, 2018

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Good day out until a group of dudebros from the local uni tried to get my attention by throwing rocks at me from the trail above. They even screamed at imaginary fish.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

gamera009 posted:

until a group of dudebros from the local uni tried to get my attention by throwing rocks at me from the trail above. They even screamed at imaginary fish.

st pattys day is the worst

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dude bros today, cut bait tomorrow. Assholes.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

First redtail of 2018. Caught it ten minutes in, didn't catch poo poo for the rest of the day. I took a buddy who had never been surf fishing before and he got a really decent one, too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

First redtail of 2018. Caught it ten minutes in, didn't catch poo poo for the rest of the day. I took a buddy who had never been surf fishing before and he got a really decent one, too.

what bait?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Went down to the creek and pulled some poop trout out for fun. Not the most desirable fish, but they bent the gently caress out of my 9' ugly stick and gave my Pflueger Supreme with 20lb braid a good workout. It's only a small creek, but the carp made it fun with my somewhat heavy gear. Took a couple minutes to get them into the bank.

Fish #1

Fish #2

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Razor clam necks. Perch love 'em, and between me and friends someone always has some in their freezer left over from a dig. I want to try sand shrimp also; I hear they work a treat.

I'm a little bummed to only get one, though that beats getting skunked any day. What I really need to do is learn to reliably read the water to identify where the shoals of them are. I know to look for the flat water between breakers and cross currents, but I guess I'm not great at putting that to practical use. Either that or Grayland Beach is not as good as its reputation, but I'm more likely to blame.

Rad! And just think, if you were British you could have paid thousands of dollars for specialized gear to catch that poop trout. Also I eagerly await your next pic of a table covered in walleyes.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gamera009 posted:

Good day out until a group of dudebros from the local uni tried to get my attention by throwing rocks at me from the trail above. They even screamed at imaginary fish.

:murder:

You catch the cutest trout though. :3:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Poop trout lol.

Gonna remember that.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

:murder:

You catch the cutest trout though. :3:

The network of creeks here is crazy good. Absolutely amazing. Everything between 5-15 minutes can yield 14-16” browns and rainbows, with average length around 8-10”. Generally on good days I can land one every five minutes. On amazing days it is a literal run-and-gun scenario where every other cast is hauling something out, as you casually wade up the stream.

Had a swell time in Eldo Canyon this morning. A bit slow, but I landed a half dozen with this guy really bending the rod. Looks skinny, but was in good shape, just not barrel chested. The fish are definitely awake now and are getting hungry!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I seriously need to move somewhere where I can just go to a creek and spend an hour catching trout on whatever day I wish. Mad jelly over here.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I love those smaller torpedo-shaped browns from faster-moving water. They just look so purposeful.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
I'd like to get into fishing while hiking/camping. I live in NYC, but we do a lot of hiking outside of the city. Looking at tenkara for the portability of it. I have basic fishing knowledge, but never fly fishing.

Was considering one of the starting tenkara kits on tenkara bum, but not sure if it's more worthwhile to get something cheaper to ease into it, or go a different direction altogether.

Would also appreciate any good resources for fishing in New York/the northeast if anyone has some handy!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

I'd like to get into fishing while hiking/camping. I live in NYC, but we do a lot of hiking outside of the city. Looking at tenkara for the portability of it. I have basic fishing knowledge, but never fly fishing.

Was considering one of the starting tenkara kits on tenkara bum, but not sure if it's more worthwhile to get something cheaper to ease into it, or go a different direction altogether.

Would also appreciate any good resources for fishing in New York/the northeast if anyone has some handy!

I will leave the tenkara advice to people that know what they're talking about, but you have some pretty cool fishing options in NYC itself! I fantasize about catching a striped bass off the beach at Coney Island or something.

I bet the salty old timers' fishing stories in the city are pretty good, like the time Frank hooked a bloated informant in the East River back in '74.

NY Department of Environmental Conservation - License sales, laws and regulations, places to fish, stocking reports, etc.
DEC's Getting Started Fishing in NYC Guide
DEC's Saltwater Fishing Guide for NYC Area

If you're primarily interested in tenkara, though, is it safe to assume that your primary interest is trout?

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Go with one of TenBum’s kits if you can, he sells great rods. The difference in a good quality rod and something like one of the $10 Amazon/Alibaba rods is significant. Also, take a look at Dragontail Tenkara, Badger Tenkara, Three Rivers Tenkara, or Tenkara Tanuki. All make great rods and are pretty reasonable.

What kind of water will you be fishing, like little thin blue lines for smallish brookies and browns, ponds for bluegill/bass, or bigger water? We can give you some specific rod advice if we know what kind of fishing you’re going to be doing.

Picking up a $30 fly tying vise kit from Cabelas or somewhere is a good investment too. Grab a nice cheap $5 India hen cape or two and a couple spools of thread and hooks and you have flies for miles.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Picking up a $30 fly tying vise kit from Cabelas or somewhere is a good investment too. Grab a nice cheap $5 India hen cape or two and a couple spools of thread and hooks and you have flies for miles.

gently caress, is it really that cheap to get into fly tying? I should probably catch a fish on my fly rod before I start making plans, but drat, that is intriguing.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Thank you both!

If you're primarily interested in tenkara, though, is it safe to assume that your primary interest is trout?

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

What kind of water will you be fishing, like little thin blue lines for smallish brookies and browns, ponds for bluegill/bass, or bigger water? We can give you some specific rod advice if we know what kind of fishing you’re going to be doing.

I hadn't really given much thought to type of fish - the tenkara interest was mostly because of how portable it looks and we often end up hiking along smaller streams to little lakes or ponds so thought it would be a good fit for an easy cast in.

Ultimate goal would be to be able to catch stuff when camping to eat every once in a while, but as a start just to start playing around and catching whatever I can

Was thinking about the small stream kit (http://www.tenkarabum.com/small-stream-tenkara-starter-kit.html) just to start with something well made for the type of really small waters and pond sides we'd most likely be hitting.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

gently caress, is it really that cheap to get into fly tying? I should probably catch a fish on my fly rod before I start making plans, but drat, that is intriguing.

It starts cheap, then you think "oh, I could use a fancier vise" and then "oh, I should get some peacock herl for sakasa kebari flies" and then "oh, I could really use some of these nice barbless scud hooks" and the list grows and grows until you've spent three times what you'd planned and your desk starts looking like this:

Tying flies is really relaxing, though, and it's great to catch fish on something you've made yourself.

EDIT:

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

I hadn't really given much thought to type of fish - the tenkara interest was mostly because of how portable it looks and we often end up hiking along smaller streams to little lakes or ponds so thought it would be a good fit for an easy cast in.

Ultimate goal would be to be able to catch stuff when camping to eat every once in a while, but as a start just to start playing around and catching whatever I can

Was thinking about the small stream kit (http://www.tenkarabum.com/small-stream-tenkara-starter-kit.html) just to start with something well made for the type of really small waters and pond sides we'd most likely be hitting.

Are you going to be near creeks more? Or lakes and ponds? If it's the former, then that small stream kit will be awesome. If you're going to be on lakes and ponds, a longer rod will be helpful, something like the Tenkara Rod Co Owyhee, or a longer Daiwa Expert. The Tenkararodco rod is about a third the price of the Daiwa, but it's still a great rod, and you shouldn't underestimate the utility of having a US-based company with English-speaking reps. I broke two sections of my Owyhee when I tripped while wading, and they sent me new sections in the mail inside a week. The Daiwa is a beautiful rod, though - the finish and details are far above what you get from US-made rods I've seen.

Anyway, if you're going to be fishing ponds or lakes very often, I'd recommend one of the Daiwa starter kits over the small stream kit - it'll be more generally useful.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 20, 2018

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Thank you both!

That small stream kit is a great rod. If you’re going to be mostly small streams then it’d be all you need. Something longer would be a help on ponds, tho. The TenBum Traveller 39 or 44 might be a good compromise for you, as they’re both zoom rods that fish at different lengths. The 39 goes down to 3.2m, which is doable in most areas, unless you have a lot of tight cover overhead like thick brush or whatever.

FWIW, the Traveller 44 is probably going to be my next rod.

Edit: since you’re in New York anyway, try hitting Chris Stewart up at TenBum. He’s in NYC, I believe, and may be familiar with the areas you’re going to fish and he could give you some more specific kit advice.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Edit: since you’re in New York anyway, try hitting Chris Stewart up at TenBum. He’s in NYC, I believe, and may be familiar with the areas you’re going to fish and he could give you some more specific kit advice.

Yea, he is super nice and seems really really into fish-chat. He also runs a site called finessefishing.com that sells UL baitcasting and spinning tackle.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, he is super nice and seems really really into fish-chat. He also runs a site called finesse-fishing.com that sells UL baitcasting and spinning tackle.

Speaking of finesse, ask him (or google) about the Ned rig. A wise man turned me on to it when I was getting started and I caught a lot of fish without really knowing what I was doing.

BW, I recall you saying that you're going after stripers this year, right? If I'm remembering that correctly I'd love to hear about your plans/tactics/efforts.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Has anyone ever fished Lake Of The Ozarks? Can you reccomend a good guide outfit? I keep reading scary stuff about idiots in speedboats making like miserable for rental boaters. BF and I will be visiting for a weekend in May.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, he is super nice and seems really really into fish-chat. He also runs a site called finessefishing.com that sells UL baitcasting and spinning tackle.

I bought my dad one of the Daiwa Iprimi ultralight setups for his birthday last August. Like 4# max. It’s a gorgeous rod and reel, but I don’t think he’s taken it fishing yet. I’m gonna hafta borrow it off of him and take it for a test drive. I got him a bunch of fancy mini-spoons and some of the Japanese rubber worm/nymph baits too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Any of you guys out of Tampa?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

LingcodKilla posted:

Any of you guys out of Tampa?

There are a few of us from the Bay Area. I can’t remember specifically if it’s this post or the other but I’d imagine most people are posting in both like I am.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

TheBizzness posted:

There are a few of us from the Bay Area. I can’t remember specifically if it’s this post or the other but I’d imagine most people are posting in both like I am.

You may be my new best friend if I land some orders to Tampa. See what happens in the next couple of weeks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

People have died from slipping on the jacks on the left. I did get hit on the right by an odd wave but i just weathered it. Lost some gear.

Oh yea, the ones in the tidal rivers off the Bay never seem to get waves like that during normal weather. I live close enough to a few waterfront parks that I like to go out and hike around in the middle of huge storms and look at the water, the only time I see the jetties get over topped is during an obviously "unsafe to fish" level strom event.

I have never slipped on the jetty rocks, but I did slip while wading a stream last year and like somehow landed directly on my rear end in a top hat, like it felt like someone spread my cheeks and smack it with a 2x4. It was kinda awful and I was scared to get up for a second.

BW, I recall you saying that you're going after stripers this year, right? If I'm remembering that correctly I'd love to hear about your plans/tactics/efforts.

I am going to give kayak trolling a try. This dude named Alan Battista wrote this book about the exact waters I fish and his methods are the generally accepted best way to catch them.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 21, 2018

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I bought my dad one of the Daiwa Iprimi ultralight setups for his birthday last August. Like 4# max. It’s a gorgeous rod and reel, but I don’t think he’s taken it fishing yet. I’m gonna hafta borrow it off of him and take it for a test drive. I got him a bunch of fancy mini-spoons and some of the Japanese rubber worm/nymph baits too.

Oh man, I want a combo like that but I am so gunshy about buying fancy UL rods. Those tips are so brittle! I got a great deal over the winter on a Legend Inshore UL/M casting rod, so that should keep the UL urges under control for a while. But man, some of the UL/XF spinning rods he sells sound so fuckin cool.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Oh yea, the ones in the tidal rivers off the Bay never seem to get waves like that during normal weather. I live close enough to a few waterfront parks that I like to go out and hike around in the middle of huge storms and look at the water, the only time I see the jetties get over topped is during an obviously "unsafe to fish" level strom event.

I have never slipped on the jetty rocks, but I did slip while wading a stream last year and like somehow landed directly on my rear end in a top hat, like it felt like someone spread my cheeks and smack it with a 2x4. It was kinda awful and I was scared to get up for a second.

I am going to give kayak trolling a try. This dude named Alan Battista wrote this book about the exact waters I fish and his methods are the generally accepted best way to catch them.

Oh man, your poor anus! I didn't wind up fishing the jetty last weekend, not because it seemed too dangerous, but because it was way too crowded. I want to buy a kayak now to avoid that poo poo, but storing it would be an issue.

I cannot wait to see pics of striped bass! I'm really bummed that it doesn't live in my part of the world, and I'm kinda surprised that more goons don't fish for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yo Kolbold Area 10 Puget Sound fishing is gonna open up soon. I’ll be launching my kayak out of port orchard to make a run at lingcod or whatever will really bite off of Blake island.