Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much. Aside from very rare instances (Shiva Extreme is one that comes to mind and that doesn't have a cutscene involved) they don't really have the ability to change cutscenes to compensate for a character dying or anything so it seems like anyone who appears in sidequest cutscenes will survive.

There’s also precedent for them ignoring any timeline issues. (Level 50 CUL quest/2.55 msq)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So I went and paid Yoshi P to skip the final ARR quests. I bought the game and all xpacs at steep discount but you still got me you crafty guy! Anyways, I watched the cutscenes on youtube and they aren't perfect but apparently:
That lady totally hosed that dragon?
gently caress Ishgard, I think, maybe not
So if I no longer have the blessing of light and instead a poo poo talking little dragon (which owns), what is my excuse for not dying? Wasn't that the canon reason why my character can come back?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

Someone posted a picture of the Altar to Pazuzu on reddit and a comment was this:

I didn't even think about there being whole different Eureka zones (I'm the dumbass). So how long do you think until the next zone? How many zones will there be this expansion. I guess that explains how the relic questline will stay 100% confined to Eureka.

Hope you all are ready to keep doing this for another 18 months.

I wonder if they will make ANY changes to the gameplay/progression style of Eureka for each zone or if it is going to be "Here's a new zone. Now go 20-40. And here are your two new crystals. Nothing else changes."

I was pretty certain right away that this was only part of Eureka because the zone is specifically called Eureka Anemos and not just Eureka. So poor Hobgoblin2099 is going to wind up farming another 3000 crystals in a different zone at some point.

Eltoasto posted:

So I went and paid Yoshi P to skip the final ARR quests. I bought the game and all xpacs at steep discount but you still got me you crafty guy! Anyways, I watched the cutscenes on youtube and they aren't perfect but apparently:
So if I no longer have the blessing of light and instead a poo poo talking little dragon (which owns), what is my excuse for not dying? Wasn't that the canon reason why my character can come back?

The Blessing of Light and the Echo are different things, though it's a bit unclear from the story that this is the case. The Echo is intrinsic to your character and it lets you do things like teleport around, ignore attempts by primals to temper you, and say "oops I didn't actually die there". The Blessing was basically a shield that Hydaelin put on you at the beginning to protect you from overtly ridiculous things like the Ultima spell and assholes from another dimension picking on you. Middy ate that to give himself a new corporeal form, and in exchange you get a cranky dragon grandpa making snarky comments on current events.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 17, 2018

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

You still have the Echo, just no whatever buffs Hydalean gave which I don't even really remember what they did besides letting you nullify stuff from the ascians in some fashion

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

AFAIK Dragons don't gently caress, consorts are an emotional bond, and they reproduce asexually

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ChaseSP posted:

You still have the Echo, just no whatever buffs Hydalean gave which I don't even really remember what they did besides letting you nullify stuff from the ascians in some fashion

The blessing of light protects you from ascians in a few ways. First it shields you (and other blessed like minfilia) from detection and protects certain spaces as well. It even protects you from ultimate magic like ultima, but it costs the earth a lot to provide said shield. The ultima shield basically tapped her out in a bad way.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Bolow posted:

AFAIK Dragons don't gently caress, consorts are an emotional bond, and they reproduce asexually

He did totally eat her though in order to make that emotional bond last forever rather than a human lifespan.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
so after relentlessly making GBS threads on eureka in here for a few days and then forcing myself through it, here's my guide and advice on how to best treat your cancerous eureka addiction. here's a map for reference.

step 1: suffer

when you first enter there's nothing much you can do except prepare yourself to grind. at level 1 everything in the zone will aggro on to you, and it sucks, and nobody will invite you to anything. if you watch shout for a party or head to the beach on the right and invite anyone grinding mobs to a party, you can get a group going and kill a bunch of mobs quickly and level at a snail's pace. do this for like 30 minutes and you'll be level 3ish, and you can go get a second materia, and everything will suck slightly less. (ask in shout for the 2nd/3rd/etc materia locations when you hit level 3/5?/13/17). the only other power up is that at level 9 you can learn and start using the two teleport stones in the zone.

step 2: accepting your fate

so you can navigate through the zone if you walk behind mobs. everything has vision based aggro. the mobs move once every... 30 seconds or so, so if a mob is blocking your path, wait for it to move and you can head past it. rely on this to actually get through the zone and start begging for NM train invites (just shout "invite NM train" and don't reveal your power level). if you're lucky and you zone in to a fresh instance, you can get on board the NM train right away and if anything aggros on to you, you can get rezzed, but it'll probably be chasing someone else ahead of you so just keep running. you'll level pretty quickly if the fates are actually spawning.

step 3: understanding eureka fates

so there's a bunch of NMs in the zone that are tied to killing specific mobs. once spawned and killed, the NMs reset about 2 hours later in my experience, meaning the most efficient way to farm the zone is to try and corral your train to each and every NM in a vaguely linear fashion. my preferred pattern that I've been leading pubs through (to great review) is

1. sabotender, from killing sabotenders
2. emperor of anemos, from darners
3. jahanam, from killing wind sprites (which require gale weather)
4. amemet, from killing abraxas
5. caym, from killing stalker ziz. (generally has a very high kill count, keep at it)
6. bombadeel, from killing traveling gourmand (which requires night time)
7. serket, from killing khor claw
8. number, from killing pneumaflayer (generally has a very high kill count, keep at it)
9. callisto, from killing val bears
10. lord of anemos, from killing sea bishops
11. teles, from killing anemos harpeia
12. judgemental julika, from killing henbane (generally has a very high kill count, keep at it)
13. white rider, from killing dullahan. (which requires night time)

usually it takes ~1 hour and 30 minutes to get through the first 11, and 12/13 can be kind of a crap shoot because malboro has a very high kill count and the mobs start to out level your average pubbie significantly.

if you enter an instance and people are screeching to go to polyphemus or simurgh in the northeast, and the fates aren't actually up, skip town and find a new one because the pubbies have self owned themselves into a scenario where 90% of the instance is too low to kill mobs and it will take 40+ minutes to pop a single fate.

the way I like to corral pubbies (If I enter the instance and see a ton of people in town and everyone shouting looking for group, implying it's fresh) is to try and immediately grab the reins and lead them to the NMs in that order, to save them from themselves.

/shout NM train leaving the station, starting with Sabotender! <flag> Sabotenders -> Darners -> Jahannam (if it's windy, otherwise just put Abraxas)

And as soon as one fate dies, announce the next location as well as the next few upcoming. this keeps a nice variety between low, mid, and high level fates so everyone stays relatively happy as well as only needing to stop and cross the zone once, for the benefit of sub level 9 people that can't teleport.

step 4: embrace eternity

since you can't just sit down and corral pubbies and actually get a good train going forever while your life force ebbs away thanks to the timer, my advice is to find either a 2 hour long movie or two episodes of a miniseries you want to watch and settle in for a rousing session of Northern Thanalan fates. it'll be really, really loving poo poo at levels 1-8, but by 9 the radiation dies down to dental office visit levels instead of chemo treatment levels, and you can more easily set this garbage in the background to be forgotten while you work towards that cosmetic item.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

my actual advice

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

oh, and since levels are shared, whatever you do, absolutely do not be a melee class. i don't care if you have no ilvl 300+ gear for it, just be a bard/mch (and give your group peloton) or a healer/smn/rdm and just mass raise all of the things. you're welcome.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Minrad posted:

oh, and since levels are shared, whatever you do, absolutely do not be a melee class. i don't care if you have no ilvl 300+ gear for it, just be a bard/mch (and give your group peloton) or a healer/smn/rdm and just mass raise all of the things. you're welcome.

Healer, tank or Rez mage are the only jobs you should play.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I've spent more time in there as whm than I'd prefer (agro is *extremely loose* in most of the trains I've been in, so attempting to Holy like a proper whm is only going to get you murdered) but I think I'm going to say gently caress it and just roll as rdm from now on unless I wind up in a party with no healers at all. At least when I'm being dapper I can also doublecast rez the pile of corpses and work on those Good Samaritan cheevos.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

yeah I stick with scholar so the fairy can rip aggro off incidental mobs and die, and I can just be rez bot and otherwise not attract mob attention.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
On the NMs and kill counts, I don't think it's an exact amount, more rather each kill has a tiny percent chance to spawn the NM. I was in for a full 3 hour session that spawned Numbers when i entered, and we when went back to spawn him again 2 hours later, he popped after a grand total of like 8 Pneumaflayers being killed. Night only enemies have a higher chance it feels (Gourmands spawn the NM in like 3-4 clears of them), and the gale weather only Typhoon Sprites spawn their NM super loving fast.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

It's the money cost and I have more health then the caster in our group. I shouldn't be dying if they aren't yet this keeps happening.

Food shouldn’t be that bad of a cost, it’s way less than pots even, which do get very expensive if you are doing lots of pulls

If you’re really that dire of Gil I would heavily suggest befriending a crafter or at the very least pick up some sushi or kakuni from last tier, there’s probably plenty of people just trying to get rid of the stuff. Cider is better, notably in vitality, but it’s bettet than not having any food

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Axle_Stukov posted:

On the NMs and kill counts, I don't think it's an exact amount, more rather each kill has a tiny percent chance to spawn the NM. I was in for a full 3 hour session that spawned Numbers when i entered, and we when went back to spawn him again 2 hours later, he popped after a grand total of like 8 Pneumaflayers being killed. Night only enemies have a higher chance it feels (Gourmands spawn the NM in like 3-4 clears of them), and the gale weather only Typhoon Sprites spawn their NM super loving fast.

It's entirely possible other people were killing those before loving off to whatever FATE spawned across the map, that happens to me pretty regularly, especially if a group is way above/below the average train level. idk if it's OPTIMAL but it's not uncommon.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

[14:15]You may now ride mounts within Eureka Anemos!

:shepicide:

300k XP until I can get feathers....

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bolow posted:

[14:15]You may now ride mounts within Eureka Anemos!

:shepicide:

300k XP until I can get feathers....

Get ready to get angry at instances that only want to spawn the Level 1 - 7 NMs.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Someone in discord was wondering about how and when we'll get more.

Eureka: Anemos is the "wind" aspect of Eureka. Well, there are six aspects. So does that mean there will be six separate Eureka zones? But also probably the castle as "unaspected"?

If we are really going to be going with the same 5 major content patch structure of 2.x/3.x (and not going beyond that like YoshiP has occasionally hinted at the possibility), you could put out Eureka zones every major and mid content patch and it would line up perfectly.

Using this hypothesis, it could line up like this:
4.25 - Anemos (wind)
4.3 - Element 2
4.35 - Element 3
4.4 - Element 4
4.45 - Element 5
4.5 - Element 6
4.55 - Castle/Unaspected

If they wanted to pump them out fast, that is. Maybe they held it back so long since they were working on a mass load of Eureka.

Please look forward to it.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Get ready to get angry at instances that only want to spawn the Level 1 - 7 NMs.

I just got out of one that spawned everything from Fafnir on down

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm very curious what will be at the end of this weird FF3/5 mash up because both of those games' Void bosses are already done.

If Square was brave, it'd be Bartz and the crew.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I hope they don't make any more content like Eureka.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Wait wait wait wait

if Pazuzu is the boss of Anemos

does that mean they're doing the four fiends from Mystic Quest?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Verranicus posted:

I hope they don't make any more content like Eureka.

If it's any consolation the posts about how Eureka is poo poo outnumber the Eureka is cool posts by about 15 to 1 on the OF. Which is not even close to a high enough ratio but maybe it's enough.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

It's the money cost and I have more health then the caster in our group. I shouldn't be dying if they aren't yet this keeps happening.

Casters may have higher magic defense then you, why they live and you don't, other dps sometime require more hp to survive the same attack then healers or casters due to that.
If money is an issue then just find a cheap food that gives a lot of VIT and use that for practice, or just meld VIT materia in couple slots.
If you'r dead the crit/direct hit melds u would be replacing with VIT won't do any good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Out of curiosity, how large IS the impact of materia? I'm kind of curious what the average DPS increase is for it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Materia is like ~1.5% to 2% extra damage. It doesn't really even matter what you meld, substats are super close for most jobs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I got the best monk top.

In blue!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

If it's any consolation the posts about how Eureka is poo poo outnumber the Eureka is cool posts by about 15 to 1 on the OF. Which is not even close to a high enough ratio but maybe it's enough.

Eureka is bad.

It's still less terrible than the Zodiac is right now, and the Anima if you're actually trying to get it in a time frame that isn't measured in months.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bolow posted:

Eureka is bad.

It's still less terrible than the Zodiac is right now, and the Anima if you're actually trying to get it in a time frame that isn't measured in months.

The loving books i want to die

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Faster =/= less awful, actually.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I've yet to had to afk for 3 loving hours waiting for fate to spawn in Eureka :shrug:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bolow posted:

I've yet to had to afk for 3 loving hours waiting for fate to spawn in Eureka :shrug:

I swear if they took the fates out of the books they would still be appropriately tedious for an old relic grind.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

I got the best monk top.

In blue!

Horizon Seventh Dawn

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wonder Turbine posted:

Horizon Seventh Dawn

:prepop:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

You ungrateful gargoyle! I pay your way through college, and you can't wait until I have a couple more thousand EXP to spawn!? :argh:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Bolow posted:

AFKing while waiting for a fate to spawn does you about as much good as AFKing hoping that a NM will spawn in Eureka when you're the only one in the zone.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I got my 3rd lvl 70 job today but how do you manage the pain of ilvl grind? I still need i325 for Drk but the struggle is real since RDM is next who will share gear with Blm.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
By the time the new expansion is out some development is going to have to be done on streamlining MSQ content introduced in patches, waiting over an hour for a 10-man group for The Final Steps of Faith, annoyingly this is about the first time the game has introduced a song that doesn't work on repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, finished Xelphatol and have to say... the Warriors of Darkness are the silliest, dumbest bad guys this game has offered yet, and I'm including the Hildibrand story lines by that measure. Am I supposed to take these gothy idiots seriously?