Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://youtu.be/DLsPoJWO-e8?t=752
"Early access and beta versions of games often cause players to become cheerleaders and deflect criticism on discussion forums. If you've ever taken part in any conversation about an early access game you must have seen such comments often sounding like they're all written from the same person who just goes from early access game to early access game about how 'you should remember it's just a beta' or 'this is what early access means, remember that' and that 'the issues being brought up will surely be addressed for the full release.' In my experience, they almost always are not."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/L27didJ.gifv

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Foo Diddley posted:

Aaaaaaaaagh no no no no no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrfcglOmBYw

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

:gonk: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhh

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Virtual Captain posted:

"Early access and beta versions of games often cause players to become cheerleaders and deflect criticism on discussion forums. If you've ever taken part in any conversation about an early access game you must have seen such comments often sounding like they're all written from the same person who just goes from early access game to early access game about how 'you should remember it's just a beta' or 'this is what early access means, remember that' and that 'the issues being brought up will surely be addressed for the full release.' In my experience, they almost always are not."

Can confirm; I have so many cheerleader uniforms and pom-poms now, just from buying early access games

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

something's wrong with your dog

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

Can confirm; I have so many cheerleader uniforms and pom-poms now, just from buying early access games

Shake it, baby!

Also dont shake the baby, please. Shaken baby syndrome is bad

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CubicalSucrose posted:

Late to the game on this, but I thought "defenstrate" was Toast trying to say "defend" and "demonstrate" at the same time in a novel fashion, rather than a misspelling.

In the same way that when I see one oh his posts, I think the word "twunt."

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Starfish Citizen

-limbs

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

SomethingJones posted:

The studio tours are not a peek behind the curtain at a studio, they are an orchestrated exercise in confirmation bias.

ON THE NORMALIZATION OF DEVELOPMENTAL DYSFUNCTION

The hardest thing for true believers to accept, particularly after interacting with developers and artists on a tour, is based on a false dichotomy framing.

“All these people can’t be lying to me. They are nice, sincere, talented and working like dogs for this dream therefore it really is real.”

The frame is wrong. A visit, particularly to the HQ of CIG Mythmaking (CIG LA), amounts to a guided tour of the acute developmental dysfunction “normalized” under Chris Roberts practiced, Code Whispering hands.

The appearance of “Bad Sean” on the Newegg livestream shows exactly what this looks like, as Sean is asked “what is Star Citizen?” and gives the Chris Roberts answer.

Do we see willful calculation and nefarious intent at work here? No, we see a developer who spends the majority of his working hours in close proximity to the Reality Distortion Field that is Chris Roberts. This is how Chris talks about the game despite the fact that it does not have hundreds of Star Systems, it has 1/4th of only 1. Yet if Sean Tracy had gone on that stream and said “Star Citizen has a few moons and a planetoid in it right now” Chris would’ve surely said “what the hell are you doing telling people that?!”

The beauty of “The Road to CitizenCon” is that it meant to glorify their struggles and excuse their failures yet what it really did was capture Chris’s pathology so incriminatingly.

Josh Herman states it plainly: “Chris has very high expectations and I think a lot of us do, and we all want to match them.”

Indeed, no one can doubt Chris can be a cruel taskmaster. But his “very high expectations” are more truly described as “very dysfunctional expectations” and the video gives testament to exactly that.

Chris is more pre-occupied with the gesticulations of an imaginary worm than nearly anything else in the Homestead demo, a point only further driven home in the Jump Point transcripts which offer yet more glimpses as conductor leads orchestra in rehearsals for the wrong song. Throughout the video, we get pull quotes from developers worldwide, all laboring to hit that which the boss has deemed the target. And hit it they mostly did, save for some minor glitches, and the video spends ample time basking in the afterglow of the wrong job well done. Yet to what end, really, beyond fundraising jolts and breathless coverage of credulous press?

Eurogamer posted:

Specifically it shows off Star Citizen's procedural planet-making abilities which, yes I know that's a sensitive subject, but look at the results here. Those vistas are gobsmacking. Trees! Deserts! Other living things! And those sky-boxes? They're not - that's the game world. Whatever the unrestricted view distance touches, you should be able to get to.

The mission demonstrated is apparently indicative of the kind of planetary missions we'll be carrying out in Star Citizen, the game's leader, Chris Roberts, said. They'll be handcrafted missions supplemented with "algorithmic" content. The demo also shows us a stealth takedown.

(Eurogamer then went on to outline all the features of 3.0 that would be arriving by the end of 2016, and we recall all too well how that turned out as CIG endured the painful work of downsizing formerly sold fictive expectations so they could deliver the practical compromise a year after the fact.)

Returning to “The Road to CitizenCon”, It’s incredible, really, the surreal victory lap everyone takes for having won the wrong race. The coercions to normalize all of it, every misguided week spent in its construction, are everywhere even as we and CIG all know now what a high price was paid for it.

“The game will come out when the game comes out.”

”I definitely backed the right game.”

A special guest appearance by The Boss’s Wife, who is unseen during crunch and had nothing to do with the demo prep yet wasn’t too busy to stop by and emote so she’d get her share of the glory due her lessers.

A tagteam performance from Lando and Ben, both making explicit entreaties for viewers to interpret the dysfunction on grand display as not just normal but ideal.

Brian Chambers describing the event as emotional and saying, “We came to show off our progress, and I think that’s what we did.”

And the capper, as we hear in plain terms why the demo was such a smashing success. They made the Boss proud. Mission accomplished.

How, after seeing all the blood, sweat and tears, could anyone doubt the hard working, friendly people who endured a summertime crunch to create that emotional moment? The developers themselves believe this is normal because their Boss has deemed it so and it was the necessary business to please him.

It is against this entire backdrop of collective effort that we can really appreciate the contrast offered by the stoic, cautious Todd Papy. As teams worldwide were laboring furiously to realize Chris’s grand fictive ambitions, it is Papy who anticipates the confusion risk and states point blank, “I just don’t want to be selling something we might not have in the game.”

Imagine that entirely reasonable soundbite edited in to The Road to CitizenCon, as teams were constructing the sandworm demo.

It’s impossible, right? That an entirely reasonable, morally cautious statement like that would never belong in such a video is because it would stand like a sharp pin above the fragile bubble of dysfunctional fiction that the entire video inflates over the course of 20 minutes.

Papy isn’t the only one expressing caution and sobriety, however much it runs counter to CIG’s aspirational semi-fictions. We saw a similar sobriety on “Calling All Devs” from Luke Pressley as he openly admitted Cargo Missions weren’t fun. You’d never have guessed that by watching The Alpha 3.0 Feature Trailer as the Cargo Box is the top-billed star and what a delightful adventure it enjoys (that has little to do with the actually quite mundane business of Cargo Transport in the game...)

But we can be sure that anyone visiting CIG LA for a glimpse of hidden wizardry isn’t getting a tour guide pointing out sorting fictions from facts, the short term likelihoods from the long term hopes. This is true for MoMA and will surely be true of the $350 guests in May. Any secret demos shown will all one big glowing ball of the transcendent glorious gaming that’s finally, finally right around the corner. It’s coming to validate the indeterminable wait and unbelievable expense. It will make all the past lies okay. It will humble all who dared doubt the process. And it will stand as open rebuke to the AAA industry itself; they didn’t believe in Chris’s vision and now must endure humiliation by it.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 18, 2018

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Virtual Captain posted:

Every early access/kickstarter game is a religion for some people. The only thing unique about citizens is they've spent the equivalent of like 40 or more early access games.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

G0RF posted:

:jackbud:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

grimcreaper posted:

Shake it, baby!

Also dont shake the baby, please. Shaken baby syndrome is bad

text me ;)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ah, the days of the DR LP being paywalled. Good times. :allears:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
G0rf that was a well considered analysis with links and citations and evidence - and it shows how much of the skin has been picked away revealing the sick, flaccid, festering underbelly of the entire rotten enterprise, and you do it with flair and style and basic observation of the facts.

Luke Pressley's admittal of lack of fun in the cargo missions was frank, I have an Erin quote where he admits the travel isn't fun, I'll have to dig it out of my history. It's interesting because he cuts himself off mid sentence.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

This is a fair and true description of CIG LA's output and characteristic of the poor state of their builds.

And a loving great title for a poo poo hot G0rf effortpost.

For any new lurkers/backers to the thread - G0rf is a poster you need to give serious consideration to, that's a level of quality and conviction you just don't see often and you do yourself a favour to pay attention.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Peter.Quint posted:

All this time lurking I thought there was a filter or program that ran on the posts that translated swear words to the absurd SA version. You guys actually type things like "gently caress"?
I think the filter only runs when you're not logged in, if that helps.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

It looks very reminiscent of a game called "Hard War". Not sure if this is what you're thinking of though.

I take it you're not talking about the 1998 space ship game Hardwar, where you had to escape Titan by earning enough money, or something like that?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I come back from self imposed cat prison and the thread is good again. Thank you for an excellent post G0RF

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Combat Theory posted:

I come back from self imposed cat prison and the thread is good again. Thank you for an excellent post G0RF

Looks like Beet needs to probate you more often

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Daztek posted:

Looks like Beet needs to probate you more often

I saw that coming :ohdear:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Well, he's Toast. So. :colbert:

Hold on, are you saying MoMA is Toast?!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Bofast posted:

I take it you're not talking about the 1998 space ship game Hardwar, where you had to escape Titan by earning enough money, or something like that?

That was a fantastic game, way ahead of its time. A very convincing living world, very immersive, good sci fi, addictive, tough and drat fun.

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Well caught up with the thread! Been busy this past week with taking these three to doctors & vet: https://imgur.com/W8nvvQq

So we have someone claiming they've seen Sq. 42 being played and they offered the hot tub space machine again only with a green paint job? And they had a new ship that actually looked cool while landing. The ships and all that looked good. The Music has been excellent, I've had a few moments in the 2.x days in the PTU. But the fact people who had purchased the merchant man back in 2014(?) still had no info on what it was supposed to look like anymore let alone an ETA on arrival? Plus things like the Gladiator rendered practically obsolete by the P-38 looking one that cost $125 more before there was even a game and capital ships going from a dozen crew members to three dozen...I mean getting a dozen people together and coordinated for an online game is doable. Not easy, but doable. But trying to organize 30 people in tasks beyond C&C, pilot, gunner, and marines? Really? My friends and I took a look at that and knew it was time to think about cashing out and waiting to see if CIG can ever pull it out.

But there were some other things as I saw people on disability basically spending every spare dime they had on ships and such then complaining about not having money for other things in life. I've known two people who have died while waiting for the game. I one of the guys was in his late 70's. It was no surprise when he passed away. The other was only 34 and was shockingly sudden last year, and his death really took any wind left in the hype sails away. Honestly he was dealt a poo poo hand in life and was planning to use SC as a kind of escape after an allergic reaction to anesthesia for a routine surgery left him blind in one eye and kidney damage that required dialysis 3 times a week. That I could understand...kept his mind off pain and what not. But there were others who spent so much it led to divorces or law suits even when they spent $10k on star citizen instead of contributing to their kids' college fund as they were required to by custody agreements. Yeah $500 might sound like a lot, but I've spent well in excess of that for FSX, X-Plane, and DCS addons since 2013.

I'm basically retired at this point other than looking after the little one and continuing the consulting work I do, especially since this year we went to cash rent on the farms. I'll go down in two weeks, sign the rental agreement, and collect a check. A check large enough that even if my wife decides she's had enough of the bullshit in the legal world we'd be able to pay our bills and be comfortable. May not eat out as much, but we're not doing that anyway these days.

Star Citizen may end up being the end all, be all, but I have my doubts and I've had them for a while. Some of the things they "promised" never made sense like this whole mesh networking model. It could be innovative if they can pull it off, but so far they can't seem to implement features that are well understood and used by other games. Bind culling isn't exactly a new invention. If it is, hell I could swing buying that $5k pack of military ships or something....whichever that was...I don't remember anymore. And had CIG been making steady progress at least at the pace and competence of FDEV I probably would have spent that much. And FDEV has had their fair share of misteps and crap too.

Good news is that no matter what happens with SC, you won't spend that much on video games ever again.

Goosfraba fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 18, 2018

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

They told you to get a refund.

:thurman:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

:golfclap:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 18, 2018

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
does Sandi still host the Star Citizen TV show?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

This song is called 'The Seven Drunken Nights."

But we're only allowed to sing five of 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Hb5nzwE4I

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Happy St. Patrick's Day, fellow heathens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QdbeM2JWYE

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

G0RF posted:

Papy isn’t the only one expressing caution and sobriety, however much it runs counter to CIG’s aspirational semi-fictions. We saw a similar sobriety on “Calling All Devs” from Luke Pressley as he openly admitted Cargo Missions weren’t fun. You’d never have guessed that by watching The Alpha 3.0 Feature Trailer as the Cargo Box is the top-billed star and what a delightful adventure it enjoys (that has little to do with the actually quite mundane business of Cargo Transport in the game...)

How had I never seen this? Surely this was peak insanity?

Thanks as always for the deep dive your GORFness. Making the unbelievable believable...

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

NoMas posted:

does Sandi still host the Star Citizen TV show?

Star Citizen is the host, Sandi is just there to feed

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Did no one ever make this connection? or am I late to the obvious party?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

sharknado slashfic posted:

I can't believe I just read the last 7 pages

Star shizzle is the ibs of the ponzi scheme, its detected only because tests for other things are not conclusive, and appendicitis just can't happen.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Blue On Blue posted:

If I remember correctly, it was universally panned because the IDEA of a money grubbing multi national private corporate entity (CIG is such a beast now) was using Vet's day charity to piggy back for marketing exposure and ship sales

Basically scummy of scummies

Not even sure they were donating even the full tally, just a small %

But I also don't care enough to check

No it was a shitshow because star citizen has a tonnn of germans and they weren't happy about giving american vets money because of the war.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

hakimashou posted:

No it was a shitshow because star citizen has a tonnn of germans and they weren't happy about giving american vets money because of the war.

Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

There was a lot of that but it's pretty tone deaf to not predict the UN level cluster gently caress that will result. Surprisingly, not everyone is from the US and the obvious solution of just not buying during the sale wasn't an option as the item was limited edition and in-stock.

Probably the birth of the "snowflake" term internally at CIG.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SomethingJones posted:

You aren't wrong, that's right on the money imo.

Impressive building, bunch of genuinely cool and good devs, gameplay on the big screen, nothing to worry about.

As Eightace said there are two missions - Levski and a mining mission with a Chris Roberts plot twist. That's what the entire backer ideaology rests upon, those controlled demos and one or two different ones that have been seen down the years, transmitted via streamers and paid pr under NDA.

That's a central mechanism of the fundraising and the issue I have isn't that MoMA has been taken in by them, but that he has potentially suckered others in too - and that's the reason I take the attitude toward him that I do.

The studio tours are not a peek behind the curtain at a studio, they are an orchestrated exercise in confirmation bias.

Showing people what they actually built has massacred interest in the game. People streaming and/or "playing" it has all but dried up. This new plan is exactly what you're all saying it is - taking away the visible evidence, and cherry-picking fully deluded backers - those who have sustained such extensive brain and neurological damage that they would pay the man they gave free money to for the privilege of face time. Those people are going to swallow whatever CGI dick Chris hands them - right down to the balls. Then they'll go out into the world and spread their cognitive plague to the ignorant, telling tales of incredible gameplay, stunning AI, and swearing on their mothers' graves that The Dream Is Real.

When in doubt, recruit more fanatics. It works for Amway, it works for Scientology, and it works for CIG. Anyone thinking that CIG's end, whether or not it's brought about by Skadden or some unforeseen circumstance, will be permanent is just as deluded as the backers themselves. "Star Citizen" the concept will go on for decades. It will become a sort of intellectual leprosy - people with functioning minds will go to great pains to avoid those who talk about how great it was/is/will be.

Sort of like now, come to think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard