Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Nah, the reason people generally don't like the Other M Varia Suit is because it looks bad and bland compared to the iconic look of the original. Here's a timeline of the varia suit, from super metroid, to prime, to zero mission's power suit, to other m

The super/prime versions look like a force to be reckoned with. The Other M designs look delicate.

Looks like the thigh bones are progressively falling out of the hip sockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shifty Nipples posted:

Looks like the thigh bones are progressively falling out of the hip sockets.

The thighs have shifted from being flank armor to thigh-high boots. The pose with the last pic is pretty damning too.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Aphrodite posted:

The difference is just 2 ridges on each shoulder?

The last design has a lot more curved lines. Everything that was straight or a hard angle is now a gentle sweep. Design wise, it reads more feminine, and also less like armor. That goes into a lot of weird gendered issues in design, but I see where it's coming from.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That also shifts with the way Samus herself has been portrayed. It was a pretty big surprise in the first Metroid when it turned out she was, you know, a woman because everybody just assumed it was a dude in the suit. The story was that she was a tough as nails bounty hunter and also just a big woman; she was billed as 6'3". Later games made her smaller and more delicate.

It's like hey guys, Samus has always been a huge badass and we accepted her as a large bounty hunter in cool armor.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Dear Hollywood,

Please make a Metroid movie with Gwendolyn Christie as Samus. Thanks in advance.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samus being 6’3 and 200 pounds was always a mistake, that was meant to be when she’s armored up. It’s a Japanese game that rewards you for beating it fast by putting her in her underwear, should have been obvious in hindsight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aphrodite posted:

Samus being 6’3 and 200 pounds was always a mistake, that was meant to be when she’s armored up. It’s a Japanese game that rewards you for beating it fast by putting her in her underwear, should have been obvious in hindsight.

Might want to take another look at that armor, because there is no way for there to be any noticeable difference in height outside of it. The promo artwork for Super Metroid also showed her to be buff as hell.

rydiafan posted:

Dear Hollywood,

Please make a Metroid movie with Gwendolyn Christie as Samus. Thanks in advance.

She really would be perfect for the role :allears:.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

rydiafan posted:

Dear Hollywood,

Agreed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, Super Metroid’s American promo material and guide and stuff were all made with that mistake. Nintendo Japan told them 6’3/200 out of the suit so they made art appropriate to that, but it’s meant to be in the suit.

As is often the case, the mistake is better.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
She's visibly built in Super Metroid, Sakamoto just slowly turned into her a tiny waifu over time.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 06:21 on Mar 18, 2018

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

rydiafan posted:

Dear Hollywood,

This would be a thing that would get me to watch a video game based movie yes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, Super Metroid’s American promo material and guide and stuff were all made with that mistake. Nintendo Japan told them 6’3/200 out of the suit so they made art appropriate to that, but it’s meant to be in the suit.

Yeah everything is a mistake except the stuff you believe.

Sure.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Edna Mode points out the design flaws in all the other cosplays

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

rydiafan posted:

Dear Hollywood,

With Andy Serkis as The Last Metroid

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edna Mode points out the design flaws in all the other cosplays

Well can you blame her? That is her one rule, after all.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That also shifts with the way Samus herself has been portrayed. It was a pretty big surprise in the first Metroid when it turned out she was, you know, a woman because everybody just assumed it was a dude in the suit. The story was that she was a tough as nails bounty hunter and also just a big woman; she was billed as 6'3". Later games made her smaller and more delicate.

It's like hey guys, Samus has always been a huge badass and we accepted her as a large bounty hunter in cool armor.

Old Samus being an absolute beast outside the armor is what I loved about the old design. You get the vibe that shed kill ridley with a teacup if her suit failed at any point.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Aphrodite posted:

yeah the old art being official and then abruptly changing her into high-heel-wearing wank material for other m sure is a mistake

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

" average guy : 5'6" "

yeah, no

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Add bayonetta to that image for extra laughs. What is she, like 8 feet tall?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Creamed Cormp posted:

" average guy : 5'6" "
yeah, no
A quick conversion tells me that is 1.67m and a quick search tells me the global average is around 172 cm so that seems decently accurate to me to make the point of the image valid? I'm Dutch and with 181cm I'm under the national average but there are some shorter people around. :v:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

rydiafan posted:

Dear Hollywood,

Holy poo poo, hello thing I never knew I wanted.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Old Samus being an absolute beast outside the armor is what I loved about the old design. You get the vibe that shed kill ridley with a teacup if her suit failed at any point.

Average height for guys is 5'6''? I thought it was 5'3''. This is very unsettling.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I'm 5'3" and don't care. :toot:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Average 150 lbs lmao

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If we're talking world wide data, I can believe it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Was her being such a timid little girl that she will literally die instead of use items the big strong man she has a crush on hasn't told her to use also something that was totally always meant to be a thing?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Old guides also suggest that Samus has a dick, so

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

You don't know that she doesn't.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rydiafan posted:

Was her being such a timid little girl that she will literally die instead of use items the big strong man she has a crush on hasn't told her to use also something that was totally always meant to be a thing?

If you asked Sakamoto, probably.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

Dear Hollywood,

An ideal Metroid wouldn't really need an actress. Just a CG suit that never speaks.

Maybe you see her in a bikini at the end, but if they did that, I don't know how good a Metroid movie you could make that's under an hour.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Rough Lobster posted:

Average height for guys is 5'6''? I thought it was 5'3''. This is very unsettling.

:discourse:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cultural appropriation!

lol

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hahaha, this is great.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/1rCLp2c.gifv

That's pretty funny but holy poo poo is it creepy

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

:golfclap:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

https://i.imgur.com/1rCLp2c.gifv

That's pretty funny but holy poo poo is it creepy

Why is it like that? I don't remember Saitama being a faceless monstrosity.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Why is it like that? I don't remember Saitama being a faceless monstrosity.

They're going for the low-effort version.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

They're going for the low-effort version.

Right, but that still has eyes and ears. Unless that gif is just low resolution it looks like that costumes has nothing but a mouth void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless