Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

trunkh posted:

Labour polices that were slightly worse basically and the typical bullshit 1 liners with no substance. 2 sides of the same as always.

Nah Labor had a ton of specific policies describing how they wanted to build the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Zenithe posted:

You used to be better than QLD
The lowest of low bars.

Tokamak posted:

Give me a bullet train, or give me death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgk-lA12FBk

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-18/sa-election-jay-weatherill-to-resign-as-labor-leader-after-loss/9560238

Weatherill (aka weather nothing) resigns.

Of course Malformed Turdball takes this as a sign that coal is the future.

quote:

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull claimed the Liberal Party's win was an endorsement of the federal government's energy policy. The prime minister spoke to incoming Mr Marshall this morning after his win ended 16 years of Labor government in the state. Mr Weatherill was the most vocal opponent of the federal government's National Energy Guarantee, Mr Turnbull said. "Jay Weatherill said this was a referendum on energy policy," he said. "The people have spoken and spoken in favour of our policies which is to support affordable and reliable energy to ensure that we can meet our Paris commitment, and at the same time ensure that we can keep the lights on and indeed afford to keep the lights on."

Thanks SA we really needed a self destructive short sighted energy policy in this country.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
http://junkee.com/black-comedy-sunrise/151038

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

hooman posted:

Just imagine being this wrong about everything.

The best one is that Corbyn ran dead on Brexit because of an anti-establishment base - no, Corbyn ran dead on Brexit because he supported it and has for decades, and his base hated him for it as they are by and large eurocentric. It's one of the issues that Corbyn is a failure on and Hildebrand managed to gently caress that reading up.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

The best one is that Corbyn ran dead on Brexit because of an anti-establishment base - no, Corbyn ran dead on Brexit because he supported it and has for decades, and his base hated him for it as they are by and large eurocentric. It's one of the issues that Corbyn is a failure on and Hildebrand managed to gently caress that reading up.

Except that corbyn running dead on brexit is poo poo. He may not have agreed with it but he actually campaigned much harder than the tories to remain.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

Except that corbyn running dead on brexit is poo poo. He may not have agreed with it but he actually campaigned much harder than the tories to remain.

Campaigning less hard than the Tories wouldn't be hard, but it could be viewed from a mile away his heart wasn't in defending it. The downside of being a principled person is when you have to do something against your principles you can't pretend to whole heartedly be for it.

ibelieve.gif

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
SA wtf is wrong with that stat jfc

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Cartoon posted:

The lowest of low bars.

Yeah, you'd think, but look at this loving country.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

So best states now VIC, WA and QLD?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
In reverse order, yes

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Who wants to read a Janet Albrechtsen column about Trinity Grammar School?

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

The only news I want to hear about elite private schools is their closure and redevelopment into public education.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

My mother loves this show and the bolt report.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
How do I become an inner-city elite? Sounds good

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Recoome posted:

It's loving great. You get to strut around all day with your designer skinny jeans riding up your crack while you tell hard working battlers they are wrong about stuff

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Recoome posted:

step one get a latte

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

My mother loves this show and the bolt report.

thats an odd combination

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

gay picnic defence posted:

It's loving great. You get to strut around all day with your designer skinny jeans riding up your crack while you tell hard working battlers they are wrong about stuff

skinny jeans? how old are you?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

I thought Clarke and Dawe ended? Did he find a new partner?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Ffs SA, no longer best state. Toilet state for toilet people. See you next election thread.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Lizard Combatant posted:

Toilet state for toilet people.

Yeah, the SA Liberals are a bunch of spectacularly boring gently caress ups who offer no leadership or forward thinking and have failed to articulate any vision for the future of the state.

It's so depressing how their entire campaign was just making GBS threads on the progress SA has made over the last few years. The state always had a difficult transition ahead of it, but the Liberals are entirely unequipped and incapable of handling it.

The state can't afford not to change, and this election is the most frustratingly "Adelaide" thing imaginable.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Analysis:Association of South East Asian Nations unlikely to ever invite Australia to join

Ironies abound in this piece.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mad Katter posted:

Yeah, the SA Liberals are a bunch of spectacularly boring gently caress ups who offer no leadership or forward thinking and have failed to articulate any vision for the future of the state.

It's so depressing how their entire campaign was just making GBS threads on the progress SA has made over the last few years. The state always had a difficult transition ahead of it, but the Liberals are entirely unequipped and incapable of handling it.

The state can't afford not to change, and this election is the most frustratingly "Adelaide" thing imaginable.

So what's the post-mortem? I can't bring myself to research outside this thread to find out how hosed we are, but I always assumed poo poo's going to get worse around here anyway. Guessing best case scenario is the Libs are floundering one-termers who've long forgotten how to do anything, though they probably smash as much infrastructure as they can on the way out either way.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Can't be all that much infrastructure left to flog off to mates after a couple decades of that.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Fire sale on SA assets (whatever assets are left at this point), 50% off, get 'em while they're hot.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Inescapable Duck posted:

So what's the post-mortem? I can't bring myself to research outside this thread to find out how hosed we are, but I always assumed poo poo's going to get worse around here anyway. Guessing best case scenario is the Libs are floundering one-termers who've long forgotten how to do anything, though they probably smash as much infrastructure as they can on the way out either way.

The post mortem is that if the SAEC had not changed the electorate boundaries, as forced to by the gerrymander the Liberals had inserted into the state constitution in the late 80s, there would have been no seats change hands. The final result fell exactly where the numbers were notionally post reistribution.

The Libs are worthless, visionless, and gormless. 16 years down, and they didn't actually win the election so much as fall over a line that was placed there for them decades ago. Should be one term, but depends how many boomers we can drown in the ocean.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 18, 2018

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Also, queensland.txt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKTq8WEc1oo

I'm fairly certain this plays in Anidav's head 24/7:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtlnBxVnVQw

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CrazyTolradi posted:

Fire sale on SA assets (whatever assets are left at this point), 50% off, get 'em while they're hot.

Is the Giant Rocking Horse for sale?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

You Am I posted:

Is the Giant Rocking Horse for sale?
Oh poo poo, I remember going on that thing as a kid.

IIRC I think the PT trains and trams are still state owned, so they'll probably try to hock them off to a mate.

EDIT: Watch as they scrap plans to electrify the Gawler line too.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 18, 2018

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

RIP Magic Mountain at Glenelg :smith:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

You Am I posted:

Still too soon. Those loving apartment owners complaining about their views.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SA still has an upper house, and the balance of power will be held by SA Best, so Marshall can't go full Newman

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

You Am I posted:

That thing seriously looked like a huge turd from the air, it's a lovely sight as you leave the city by plane and are reminded of what you're leaving behind.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

NTRabbit posted:

SA still has an upper house, and the balance of power will be held by SA Best, so Marshall can't go full Newman

Lol if you think Xenophon of all people is going to stop the worst excesses of the liberal party, my commiserations on your state, you were doing cool stuff for a while there

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

WA Labor stopped Roe 8 and mining in the Helena-Aurora Valley range and are progressing with a massive expansion of Perth's train network so things are looking pretty good so far

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Voting maps from the Batman by-election: http://www.tallyroom.com.au/33097

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/george-christensen-attacks-coalition-on-abortion-20180318-p4z4z5.html

From the great state of Queensland, where abortion is still heavily restricted.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Voting maps from the Batman by-election: http://www.tallyroom.com.au/33097

Wasn't that the opposite of what was expected, with the 'Greenest' booths being in the south of the electorate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

Wasn't that the opposite of what was expected, with the 'Greenest' booths being in the south of the electorate?
It's important to note that the areas where the Greens polled strongest are where the RMIT and LaTrobe campuses are.

• Locked thread