Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Guy Goodbody posted:

Finally, somebody made the Sazabi cool

I can never like these redesigns that have millions of panel lines and blocky angles slapped on an existing design for no conceivable reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gyobu’s version of that is kind of interesting, though. His mechanical designs aren’t ultra-gritty tacticool junkheaps, they’re alien, futuristic stone sculptures. He’s definitely going for that Eighties Hollywood sci-fi vibe, where square and blocky was high-tech, not primitive.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Finally, somebody made the Sazabi cool

This is fully dope, but can we not pretend that the Sazabi wasn't already cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Attaching the extra fuel pods to the funnel launchers makes no sense.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blocky designs can be good if they go all in on looking like some boring engineer put it together rather than someone trying to be artistic. Blocky designs like the bodies of the Thrones are bad, though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There is only one redesign that matters, and it is the Gundam Unicorn Destroy Mode, 7-11 Variant. And that is because I have determined it is powered by Mountain Dew.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shinjobi posted:

There is only one redesign that matters, and it is the Gundam Unicorn Destroy Mode, 7-11 Variant. And that is because I have determined it is powered by Mountain Dew.

I have that kit and can confirm it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I would rather take every suit being more panel line than panel if it meant nothing ever having a spherical joint ever again.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

golden bubble posted:

Having clean streets everywhere is actually a problem. If they made it clear that this is the Gundam equivalent of the Shanghai International Settlement, that's fine. But that level of public services does not appear in colonial oppression. Fascist oppression could do it, but colonialist oppression is too busy looting all the non-elite areas to prevent the population from openly starving to death. Because historically, colonialism is contains some of greatest famines in world history. Federation does not have to be good guys, but they do not visually look like colonial oppressors. Gjallarhorn has the visual imagery of colonial oppressors. The Federation gets something more like slacker fascism.
I think part of the issue here is that "colony" is being used in a different sense than you are using it; the Federation did not go and conquer independent space nations, it literally created terra nullius and settled it with people who were given some limited self-regulatory powers. There isn't really a direct precedent for this in history.

To be clear this doesn't mean the EF was bad but this is a failure of 20th/21st-century concepts.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Wish I had picked that up when I was there, I could only get the RX-78.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Same. I was in Japan in June 2014, but every 7-11 I visited did not have them. It was heart breaking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Amazon is your friend if you want the 7-11 Gunpla :ssh:.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh, I know that now. I just...didn't then.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

chumbler posted:

Blocky designs can be good if they go all in on looking like some boring engineer put it together rather than someone trying to be artistic. Blocky designs like the bodies of the Thrones are bad, though.
Blocky works if you're selling the idea that it's a layer of armor rather than a big box of something. Yanase is my favorite designer (from Armored Core and whatnot) and does blocky well because it's always beveled or trapezoidal, giving the impression of a 'thickness' less than the bulk of hardware behind it.

I don't know how much of IBO came from Gyobu, but you can see the difference where some attempt at this is made but it's not coherent or consistent.

These lack a lot of under structure, opting for big blocks of color that need to be broken up by panel lines and other garbage. It's more 'futuristic' to have a well engineered shape like that, but harder to sell as a 3D object for sure.

This one is better, but also even less consistent.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 16, 2018

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Shinjobi posted:

finally, a gundam i want to drink

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

tsob posted:

What terrorist act resulted in the colonies no longer having representation? Because I think you're on about Gundam Unicorn, but that's not what actually happened. The original UC charter doesn't give colonists representation, it gives Newtypes representation. And it only gives it to them if and when they appear, not from the inception of the Federation. More than that I suppose, I don't even think the idea that the Federation was ruling the colonies without equal representation in government even came in to UC until Char's Counterattack. There's definitely no mention of it 0079 at least, and I'm pretty sure it's not in Zeta or ZZ either.

Yeah, CCA has Adenaur Paraya as the Vice-Foreign Minister, ie: a dude in charge of relations with spacenoids and CCA is the first time he's ever been off-world. Its mentioned somewhere that the Federation government has representatives of various groups of countries and then they have one guy to represent all of the colonies and they get to pick who it is, the spacenoids don't get to vote or put forth a candidate, the Federation government just name a rich Earth dude to make all the decisions on the behalf of everyone on space. I think its implied that that is pretty much the status quo since UC01, what with all the good and smart politicians and policy makers staying on Earth, with space getting whoever isn't important enough to not get shipped out and become a space mayor.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

Yeah, CCA has Adenaur Paraya as the Vice-Foreign Minister, ie: a dude in charge of relations with spacenoids and CCA is the first time he's ever been off-world. Its mentioned somewhere that the Federation government has representatives of various groups of countries and then they have one guy to represent all of the colonies and they get to pick who it is, the spacenoids don't get to vote or put forth a candidate, the Federation government just name a rich Earth dude to make all the decisions on the behalf of everyone on space. I think its implied that that is pretty much the status quo since UC01, what with all the good and smart politicians and policy makers staying on Earth, with space getting whoever isn't important enough to not get shipped out and become a space mayor.

If I remember right, old UC cannon had Zeon himself be from Earth, but actually volunteer to go up to side 3 in a "practice what you preach" move. Which covers both his idolization, as he's someone who could be anywhere, but he CHOSE to be in the promised land, and Degwin resenting him, since this rich Earthling came up to his town and kinda took over.

But, well, might not be a thing any more, even if it once was. Interesting angle anyway.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Nessus posted:

I think part of the issue here is that "colony" is being used in a different sense than you are using it; the Federation did not go and conquer independent space nations, it literally created terra nullius and settled it with people who were given some limited self-regulatory powers. There isn't really a direct precedent for this in history.

To be clear this doesn't mean the EF was bad but this is a failure of 20th/21st-century concepts.

Even then, it's still creating mass housing. If they want the imagery of corrupt governments ignoring spaceoids, they should look like the abandoned Soviet bricks, run-down Chinese mass housing, or at least well-lived housing projects in need of a new paintjob. Giving way Suburbia for free is so far away from oppressive imagery that completely dissociates me from the conflict. If you want to make Zeon mustache twirling evil, talking about how cruel it is to be forced into space Suburbia works visually. But if you want to say that Zeon had a point before the Zabis ruined it, we need at least a structural expressionist colony, if not an outright brutalist colony.

Honestly, I think having the EF act in bad faith towards the colonies makes it a better story. But that requires the colonies to look at least neutral, instead of the ideal middle class dream.

Speaking of which, a structural expressionist colony would look so cool. Imagine this, but as an entire space colony.

It would even fit the narrative of an bad EF. Structural expressionism is about letting the internal structure show on the construction's exterior, while still looking futuristic (by the standards of the 70s). It would fit the idea that the EF put in the bare minimum of effort into providing living space for spaceoids in a futuristic way.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 17, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So if the colonies looked more like Industrial 7 but even more crowded and Blade Runner hellscape-ish?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/kaijyunopapa/status/974276758798139392

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

EthanSteele posted:

The political situation re: the Federation and the colonies is pretty muddy. The Federation is indisputably in the position of power, but the colony and lunar governments are portrayed as having an enormous amount of political sway of their own. Side 3 of course became Zeon, but even before they became Zeon they declared independence and operated as such for several years outside of the Federation's control. Side 6 was able to openly declare its own independence and neutrality in the OYW and maintained itself as an independent entity until voluntarily re-entering the Federation a few years later, and if Thunderbolt is taken as canon the survivors of Side 4 had enough pull in the Federation military that they were able to secure what amounts to a small fleet and entire task force of mobile suits to retake the worthless broken ruins of their home colonies despite Thunderbolt taking place on the cusp of Operation Star One.

It honestly seems to vary from Side to Side and colony to colony. You've got dirty shitholes where people seem to live in squalor like Palau and then you've got beautiful open suburban colonies like Munzo/Zeon and Green Noa.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Isn't Palau just a resource asteroid with a simulated gravity environment? I mean, it's effectively similar to the o'neill cylinder but that does explain why it's built up the way it is as opposed to how most other space which colonies have a blend of suburban, urban, and even industrial complexes.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm watching the MSG triology movies and the English dub is hilariously bad. Amuro is way more of a dick and Bright has a British accent for some reason. The TV series dub was a lot better, right?

Oh and it's missing random points of dialogue. When Matilda comes to resupply the White Base in the beginning of the second movie all the audio drops for about a minute.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I'm watching the MSG triology movies and the English dub is hilariously bad. Amuro is way more of a dick and Bright has a British accent for some reason. The TV series dub was a lot better, right?

Oh and it's missing random points of dialogue. When Matilda comes to resupply the White Base in the beginning of the second movie all the audio drops for about a minute.

Bright's a Hong Kong native, so presumably he's got some British in his family tree.

Can't explain the rest.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

chiasaur11 posted:

Bright's a Hong Kong native, so presumably he's got some British in his family tree.

Can't explain the rest.

Ack, totally forgot that. Still no excuse for pronouncing Gundam as "Gun-daamn" and not being able to get anywhere near how to say Hayato's name.b

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

i recall really liking the tv series dub

dub char laughing in garma's face as garma dies is iconic for me

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I never got why movie dub made Sayla a Russian, when her brother clearly is not.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The TV dub is a classic, and even though some people got recast, the TV voices are still how I hear the characters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Steve Blum's char was okay in the films but Michael Kopsa is Char as far as I'm concerned. Keith Silverstein does a good job in The Origin but he's a little too smooth and doesn't sell Char's massive bitterness as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
For the longest time, they had a separate team for OVA/movies and TV shows. Ocean Dub (Canada) had the Tv series (which is why most of the voice repeat throughout Wing and SEED and 00) while California handled the other stuff (08th MS team, 0083, etc).

It's only recently that they gave TV to california (IBO is California) and I think? the Unicorn dub is New York.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Arcsquad12 posted:

Steve Blum's char was okay in the films but Michael Kopsa is Char as far as I'm concerned. Keith Silverstein does a good job in The Origin but he's a little too smooth and doesn't sell Char's massive bitterness as well.

Kopsa loving rocked it as Char. As smooth as butter, baby.:c00lbert:

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Silverstein will be number 2 until we hear him say "Blame this on the misfortune of your birth!" That's the line it all hinges on.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah, he's almost as iconic to me as Ikeda.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Silverstein's biggest problem is I cannot separate him from Nazeem.

"Do you get to the cloud district very often? What am I saying, of course you don't. I'll have you know there's no PUSSEEEEEEEEEEEE"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ourB80IQEes

The best (after Ikeda).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Teetons

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLMENNyUxcI

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Now on episode 22 of my wing rewatch. I feel real bad for the wing gundam. The poor thing seems to be out of action, blown up or sitting at the bottom of the ocean 90% of the time.

Also the gently caress is zech's thinking: "Why no, I'm not zech marquise, I just happen to have long blonde hair as well. Please ignore that fact that I just happen to own and pilot this one of a kind prototype mobile suit that zechs coincidentally also piloted!"

EDIT: oh and oz is real dumb for not just putting a bullet in the wing boys heads but instead chooses to keep them prisoner and have them occasionally pilot mobile suits.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 19, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Now on episode 22 of my wing rewatch. I feel real bad for the wing gundam. The poor thing seems to be out of action, blown up or sitting at the bottom of the ocean 90% of the time.

Also the gently caress is zech's thinking: "Why no, I'm not zech marquise, I just happen to have long blonde hair as well. Please ignore that fact that I just happen to own and pilot this one of a kind prototype mobile suit that zechs coincidentally also piloted!"

EDIT: oh and oz is real dumb for not just putting a bullet in the wing boys heads but instead chooses to keep them prisoner and have them occasionally pilot mobile suits.

Obviously, what he needs is some cool shades and a name so insane that everyone will be too distracted to notice.

Might help to murder a space cowboy, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Obviously, what he needs is some cool shades and a name so insane that everyone will be too distracted to notice.

Might help to murder a space cowboy, too.

I get the quatro similarties, but it'd be like Quattro riding around in char's custom zaku. Just one step too far imo.