Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Covok posted:

They came home.

They got banned.

"Kitten petting smaller kitten".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/mcpli/status/975392271100252161?s=20

The GOP might be in trouble guys.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Furnaceface posted:

His wife is a Democrat.

No, this isnt a joke.

That's the justification he gives, and the conspiracy theory he's spun up and now believes as to why.

The real reason is that McCabe refused to tell him who he voted for in 2016, also he refused to swear loyalty. More or less the same reason Trump came to hate Comey, dude wouldn't kiss the ring. Also nobody in the FBI would kill the Russia Investigation for him.

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

what? how? am I consuming lead somehow?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Blunami incoming.

thewalk posted:

what? how? am I consuming lead somehow?

Probably. https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/tips/sources.htm

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so what are the chances of a october revolution type poo poo happening. like a populist uprising or some poo poo.

None, once you reach china, russia, north korea levels of government control and corruption. combined with modern

surveilance technology
military power

the days of planning a coup and succeding are over. Even turkeys military failed that was the last gasp of any nation ever overthrowing their corrupt government

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Covok posted:

They came home.

More like Trump went home and forgot about it because they never budged. Even the NRA was claiming he never proposed or he would change his mind about recent gun control.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Hardened Democrats

It's a dick joke

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

skeleton warrior posted:

That's a lie and a half-truth combined.

The lie: McCabe wasn't involved in the Clinton investigation until he was promoted into supervising it months after his wife's campaign had ended.

The half-truth: McCabe's wife ran for the Virginia State Senate, and was given money by Clinton friend Terry MacAuliffe, who also was governor of Virginia at the time, so he was responsible for fundraising for Virginia Democrats. She wasn't just given money by friends of the Clintons because friends of the Clintons were looking out for Hillary and wanted to influence her, as is heavily implied by your phrasing.

So McCabe supervised an investigation into Clinton AFTER his wife had received a half a million dollar donation from a FoB. That absolves the Clintons from trying to buy off McCabe, but doesn't change the fact he might be prejudiced towards the people he's investigating. He shouldn't have been involved. Pick an FBI agent whose wife doesn't have big time political aspirations.

I'll be perfectly honest I did not look at the time table because either way it looks bad. It'd look worse had he already been involved in the investigation, but it doesn't look good the other way either.

It doesn't really matter since the question was about Trump's problem with McCabe, which is probably totally because he thinks McCabe engaged in a tit for tat involving his wife's Senate run.

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

STAC Goat posted:

I would guess no. And a quick perusal of the article says that many of the people who signed only did so because they knew it was unenforcable. And we have people like Omarossa and Michael Wolf writing tell all hooks already so I'm guessing it's just garbage pieces of paper.

At least until we hear that Trump is threatening to sue a former staffer to silence them. And thats probably more politically damaging a position than whatever they have to say.

Maybe when hes done playing president he will sue every one in the government 10million a pop and rake in several billion :)

OMG what if that was his plan all long. double his wealth in 4 years genius

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I want to see those GOP backed districts polling with a 6 point buffer. :getin:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The purpose is to threaten to sue and make any staffer have to pay tens of thousands in attorneys fees, win or lose. It doesn’t matter that it’s a worthless document, it would still take a long time to hash out and have a court rule in your favor.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

thewalk posted:

None, once you reach china, russia, north korea levels of government control and corruption. combined with modern

surveilance technology
military power

the days of planning a coup and succeding are over. Even turkeys military failed that was the last gasp of any nation ever overthrowing their corrupt government

I doubt this, largely because of Libya and Syria, where they've had almost North Korea levels of personality cult, corruption, and internal security. Military power only goes so far, because once the military starts openly revolting, that power is degraded. Even if surveillance these days is a lot more pervasive, remember, the most advanced facial recognition can be defeated with a ski mask.

Turkey's coup was also an officer coup: they planned for a shock and awe campaign, similar to America's invasion of Iraq, using the small number of loyal forces, mostly airpower, they had access to, mixed in with the martial law. A popular revolution with allied military units and bases would have turned out different.

Also, if a foreign power has an interest, then they're will always be a way to overthrow them. That's always been true, I doubt the United States would have ever become a separate nation if it wasn't for the French looking to give King George a black eye.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
China's already in the 1984 timeline what with re-education camps for gays / muslims and social "credit" scores affecting multiple aspects of your life.

It's not hyperbole to say that China is now a surveillance state. Like they have hundreds of spies in the United States who have the job of spying on their own people.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 18, 2018

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

thewalk posted:

surveilance technology
military power

Incompetence and not copiously bribing the Praetorian Guard and not paying the rest of the military can still gently caress over an otherwise entrenched dictatorship.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

China's already in the 1984 timeline what with re-education camps for gays / muslims and social "credit" scores affecting multiple aspects of your life.

It's not hyperbole to say that China is now a surveillance state. Like they have hundreds of spies in the United States who have the job of spying on their own people.

It’s not hyperbole to call the US a surveillance state either. We just spend more of an effort on trying to pretend otherwise.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VanSandman posted:

Incompetence and not copiously bribing the Praetorian Guard and not paying the rest of the military can still gently caress over an otherwise entrenched dictatorship.

thats why i dont think trump will ever become some dictator. he may try if he gets scared or angry enough and i am sure he would love to be one. but his attacks on DOJ/IC/etc doesnt seems smart for building support. he is too dumb and angry and petty.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

<extremely Kenneth Branagh in Wild Wild West voice* who could have foreseen this!?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...m=.6fbe46c998e1

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!

What was the average margin of the 241 House seats Republicans won in 2016?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rex-Goliath posted:

this is only because it's the commonly accepted method to communicate. once they drop below a certain threshold you'll see a mass migration to a different platform

And then that platform will be horrible and a blight on society. :v:

Social media is probably here to stay, talking about how to make it less bad is probably preferable to "well just don't use it ever :smug: "

(That tip about uninstalling the app, for instance, is potentially productive on an individual basis)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

withak posted:

It takes a shitload more work without Facebook.

You make it sounds like pre-FB people were using the Pony Express or some poo poo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats why i dont think trump will ever become some dictator. he may try if he gets scared or angry enough and i am sure he would love to be one. but his attacks on DOJ/IC/etc doesnt seems smart for building support. he is too dumb and angry and petty.

It is worth while for those who despise all human interests in comparison with riches, and think that there is no scope for high honours or for virtue except where lavish wealth abounds, to listen to this story. The one hope of America, R. Mueller, used to cultivate a four-acre field on the other side of the Tiber, just opposite the place where the dockyard and arsenal are now;

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

VanSandman posted:

This is also why Asaad was never ever in danger of an internal coup. Dude took years and years before he even stepped foot in office to purge the poo poo out of everyone close and replace them with people friendly to his tiny branch of Islam. As long as his Guard hated the surrounding Muslims more than him, he would be fine.

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Crain posted:

The limit is two consecutive terms with no cap on total number of terms. That's the key.

it will be interesting in 6 years to see if Putin pulls another vice president stunt. or if he goes the china route and changes the constitution. Lets stop pretending we all know Im dictator for life lets be efficient about this

why is it so hard for countries to avoid the dictator problem

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

This is also why Asaad was never ever in danger of an internal coup. Dude took years and years before he even stepped foot in office to purge the poo poo out of everyone close and replace them with people friendly to his tiny branch of Islam. As long as his Guard hated the surrounding Muslims more than him, he would be fine.

Wasn't Assad a reluctant despot? He's grown into it very well, but he was the spare heir and studied optometry I think.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

thewalk posted:

it will be interesting in 6 years to see if Putin pulls another vice president stunt. or if he goes the china route and changes the constitution. Lets stop pretending we all know Im dictator for life lets be efficient about this

To be fair Russia has never been a Democracy in the first place (except maybe for a while after the revolution)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

thewalk posted:

It's considerably easier to tolerate dictatorship when you don't have strong democratic institutions or a tradition of democracy. Here in the US, we've got an independent judiciary keeping most of the worst excesses of the Trump Administration at bay, and people would flip the gently caress out if he tried to change the constitution to gently caress with elections. Russia and China have never had real functioning democracies, so it's easier to just say "eh, that's the way it's always been."

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Krispy Wafer posted:

So McCabe supervised an investigation into Clinton AFTER his wife had received a half a million dollar donation from a FoB. That absolves the Clintons from trying to buy off McCabe, but doesn't change the fact he might be prejudiced towards the people he's investigating. He shouldn't have been involved. Pick an FBI agent whose wife doesn't have big time political aspirations.

I'll be perfectly honest I did not look at the time table because either way it looks bad. It'd look worse had he already been involved in the investigation, but it doesn't look good the other way either.

He was a Deputy Director of the FBI. There is literally one of them. He was not 'picked' as an 'agent' to run the investigation, he was picked as an executive to support Comey in running the FBI, and if you're arguing that he shouldn't have been picked because his wife ran for office and received a donation from politicians who several months later would be under FBI investigation, then I guess you're arguing that no one in the FBI is allowed to have family members who run for office.

He filed his potential conflicts with the OGC. No agent or investigator is saying anything about how leaned on the investigation - this is entirely Trump and the GOP and Fox putting two people into the same circle and screaming that it obviously means that they were corrupt and passing information across and how you should know that jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams.

quote:

It doesn't really matter since the question was about Trump's problem with McCabe, which is probably totally because he thinks McCabe engaged in a tit for tat involving his wife's Senate run.

Yes, and going "this looks pretty corrupt" like you did is making it seem like Trump has a case. He doesn't. There's no connection or corruption, there's only an rear end in a top hat throwing out smoke and screaming that it must mean someone else is on fire.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

DeathChicken posted:

Another way to get overthrown is to gently caress up the economy hard enough that a lot of people feel they have nothing to lose by rebelling.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Pakled posted:

It's considerably easier to tolerate dictatorship when you don't have strong democratic institutions or a tradition of democracy. Here in the US, we've got an independent judiciary keeping most of the worst excesses of the Trump Administration at bay, and people would flip the gently caress out if he tried to change the constitution to gently caress with elections. Russia and China have never had real functioning democracies, so it's easier to just say "eh, that's the way it's always been."

The US also has a diffuse distribution of power along state lines that is optimized for regional conflict and polarization (and the end-point of that, Civil War), but that also makes it much harder for a dictator to take power.

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Covok posted:

No they wouldn't. They would cut their penises off themselves on video while kissing a Quron. Their a cult, if he told them to believe the opposite of everything they think now, they'd follow.

If you did it slowly enough I believe this to be true

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

thewalk posted:

Putin will be 71 after this term of office, he might just take on a lighter role.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

skeleton warrior posted:

He was a Deputy Director of the FBI. There is literally one of them. He was not 'picked' as an 'agent' to run the investigation, he was picked as an executive to support Comey in running the FBI, and if you're arguing that he shouldn't have been picked because his wife ran for office and received a donation from politicians who several months later would be under FBI investigation, then I guess you're arguing that no one in the FBI is allowed to have family members who run for office.

He filed his potential conflicts with the OGC. No agent or investigator is saying anything about how leaned on the investigation - this is entirely Trump and the GOP and Fox putting two people into the same circle and screaming that it obviously means that they were corrupt and passing information across and how you should know that jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams.

Yes, and going "this looks pretty corrupt" like you did is making it seem like Trump has a case. He doesn't. There's no connection or corruption, there's only an rear end in a top hat throwing out smoke and screaming that it must mean someone else is on fire.

Jeff Sessions is the Attorney General. There is only one of him and he recused himself from the Russia investigation. In that case it was a really good idea. In the McCabe case it would've been just a good idea so there would be no worries about propriety while conducting a very high profile investigation. And yes, people whose spouses are running for political offices probably shouldn't be investigating politicians who could show up on a mind map with strings linking one another.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pollyanna posted:

He's gonna do it anyway and nobody will tell him he can't. The only thing stopping presidents from being dictators is decorum and decorum is dead.

courts will

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Krispy Wafer posted:

There was some shifty stuff going on with his wife and her Senate run. She got a big donation from a PAC associated with friends of the Clintons while at the same time her husband was investigating the Clinton email server. There are maybe two or three degrees of separation here, but it's close enough that McCabe shouldn't have been involved in the FBI investigation.

Trump probably believes the $500k political contribution influenced the Clinton email results. So you've got FBI (hates), Clinton (hates even more), and a wife who was almost more successful than her husband (hates the most).

I do think PACs and big money is a problem in politics but..

Heres a question. Assuming an FBI director had a democratic wife running for an office. Is there a scenario where he can stay in charge of the investigation?

I imagine a wife(not important) running for office needs money

that money will come from a pac

pacs get money from big donors.

a big democratic donor is gonna be a "friend" of hillaries since she ran for president. I use friend loosely.

Which circles back around to no one with any political connections to the democratic party is allowed to investigate Trump or Hillary.

Only republicans are allowed to investigate either parties.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Jeff Sessions is the Attorney General. There is only one of him and he recused himself from the Russia investigation. In that case it was a really good idea. In the McCabe case it would've been just a good idea so there would be no worries about propriety while conducting a very high profile investigation. And yes, people whose spouses are running for political offices probably shouldn't be investigating politicians who could show up on a mind map with strings linking one another.

McCabe had superiors and there are institutional review systems in place. If anyone internal to the FBI had any qualms about him they would have raised them. You're armchair quarterbacking and arguing for the Republicans' framing on the issue.

Perhaps you should recuse yourself from this argument as you do not appear to be unbiased.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
It would be nice to have a look at the IG report that Sessions used as a basis to fire him and form an opinion off of that but, you know, its not actually public yet. Curious as to why that is.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Krispy Wafer posted:

The key difference here is that the donations to Jill McCabe weren't a special favor; she wasn't singled out due to being the spouse of an FBI guy. McAuliffe was involved in fundraising for all the state-level candidates. And Andrew McCabe wasn't involved in the investigation at the time, and it's not like he personally saw any of that money. Also, he and his wife are not of the same political party so it's doubtful that he'd be inclined to favor Democratic pols just for that.

By contrast, Sessions due to his campaign role would specifically have been involved in any wrongdoing that took place in the campaign, either as a subject or as a witness. So the situations aren't analogous at all.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fraction Jackson posted:

The key difference here is that the donations to Jill McCabe weren't a special favor; she wasn't singled out due to being the spouse of an FBI guy. McAuliffe was involved in fundraising for all the state-level candidates. And Andrew McCabe wasn't involved in the investigation at the time, and it's not like he personally saw any of that money. Also, he and his wife are not of the same political party so it's doubtful that he'd be inclined to favor Democratic pols just for that.

By contrast, Sessions due to his campaign role would specifically have been involved in any wrongdoing that took place in the campaign, either as a subject or as a witness. So the situations aren't analogous at all.

are you my doppelgänger???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Putin will be 71 after this term of office, he might just take on a lighter role.

do 71 dictators usually decide their done having all the power?

• Locked thread