Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

by "only" I assume you actually mean every pop culture thing ever

I mean, we're in the middle of a multi-page argument about product placement in MoS and the question has been repeatedly asked "why is it bad here and not in Marvel movies/other blockbusters" and that keeps getting ignored for people to say "the IHOP being there is just dishonest(lol) and dumb".

There's definitely some skewed standards at work here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That is what I meant, with Batman the double standards seem to only apply to Batman himself with everything else on his mythology being susceptible to change with relatively minor changes. I haven't seen anyone complain about Gotham not being the same as Burton's movies for example. But change anything related to Superman and people will complain like there's no tomorrow.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That is what I meant, with Batman the double standards seem to only apply to Batman himself with everything else on his mythology being susceptible to change with relatively minor changes. I haven't seen anyone complain about Gotham not being the same as Burton's movies for example. But change anything related to Superman and people will complain like there's no tomorrow.

Not entirely true. Look at any attempts at even suggesting giving The Joker an origin (especially post Dark Knight). Look for the constant cries of "He can't have his origin explained."

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

A town of 40k people having an IHOP, Sears and 7/11 is not less honest you dodos

Edit: in the town my grandparents live in all of the family owned restaurants that have been around are dying and people get food from McD’s, DQ and Casey’s.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 18, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Waffle House, K-Mart, and a Speedway.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Has anyone here seen My Friend Dahmer? I'm curious about it and considering renting it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I always thought the ihop fight was supposed to be funny because of the thousands of videos of people fighting at ihop.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I always interpreted that scene very simply: nowhere was safe. Downtown Smallville? Geography is irrelevant. These guys are at the interstate IHOP in the blink of an eye, they're soaring across the Metropolis skyline in seconds, smashing through cornfields one moment and in cities the next, they're beating each other with satellites in space! There are no safe places, nowhere remote enough to escape the conflict. It can't be "contained" which is absolutely a major theme of a certain other superhero franchise.

I read it slightly differently: nowhere is safe from IHOP.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I assume IHOP, along with Applebee's and Olive Garden etc, is getting slaughtered these days, but I am not going to check.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Ferrinus posted:

I read it slightly differently: nowhere is safe from IHOP.

Good thing Martha didn't go into work that day. Poor woman trying to make ends meet has a loving train thrown through her job the same day someone threw a truck through her house.

Also, I like the implication that the Sears never rebuilt because Martha's working in the generic non-franchise diner in BvS. Maybe IHOP didn't either?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Timeless Appeal posted:

The transition to the IHOP is pretty jarring because it doesn't really vibe with what we've been seeing. A ma and pop diner standing in for the old west saloon would feel a bit more at home in the scene. I'm not saying it ruins the movie or much, but i get why people felt it was silly.

The Smallville scenes were filmed in rural communities in Illinois. What we see in the Smallville scenes is pretty representative of these towns - some large chains on the outskirts, and nondescript shops on a main street.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, we're in the middle of a multi-page argument about product placement in MoS and the question has been repeatedly asked "why is it bad here and not in Marvel movies/other blockbusters" and that keeps getting ignored for people to say "the IHOP being there is just dishonest(lol) and dumb".

There's definitely some skewed standards at work here

I already loving said it's bad in those movies too dude

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

I already loving said it's bad in those movies too dude

Oh gently caress! I missed that one person agreed it was bad but then the conversation immediately went back to laser focusing on MoS specifically (exactly like I said it did)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Davros1 posted:

Waffle House, K-Mart, and a Speedway.

A Waffle House in rural Kansas *would* be dishonest.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

A Waffle House in rural Kansas *would* be dishonest.

Waffle House story: once, after attending a Black Sabbath concert, a group of us stopped there to eat. When we asked for our checks at the end, the waitress told one friend to "scoot over", and she sat at the booth writing out our checks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DC Murderverse posted:

A town of 40k people having an IHOP, Sears and 7/11 is not less honest you dodos

Edit: in the town my grandparents live in all of the family owned restaurants that have been around are dying and people get food from McD’s, DQ and Casey’s.

Anywhere in the world having a Sears that's actually open seems unlikely to me

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

jesus christ I didn't notice until now but the bruiser pops that poor A-10 pilot like a zit :stonk:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Subway might play a role in Shazam.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
The issue with the honesty isn't really
One of product placement, it's the entire worldview that it stems froml

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My father worked in Hazard, Kentucky 5 years is officially a Duke of Hazard per a certificate granted by the Governor or Mayor or some Official and we are all Kentucky Colonels. I've lived in Hazard for a bit as a kid during college and summer.

A more realistic modern Smallville would have had a Super Walmart eradicate all small and family business competing against an ancient K-Mart, a middling Chinese restaurant run by an immigrant family and maybe the only Chinese/Japanese immigrant family there, couple local diners, an amazing BBQ joint, a couple of saloons (not bars, saloons, there is a difference), a basic but good and expensive Steak house with a yokel type name say "Cliff Hagen's", a Dollar Store of some type, some craft/home made shops for furniture, old theater with like 5 screens, good natured Hillbillies and hospitality with a social people oriented atmosphere as long as the colored folk minded their own business, lots of home business moonshine, trucks of all kinds and run down older cars, the rich people living on a high hill area 2-3 of those families are doctors and from out of country like Mid East or India/Pakistan/Asia required to serve in an undeserved area for citizenship, festivals, a vet clinic, farmhouses, and maybe, maybe a strip joint with some local and foreign girls and one or two amongst them who are surprisingly captivating with ambitions to be nurses eyeing the docs and angry boyfriends who will start to resent the foreign doctors and the doctors going "...best mind my own business." Local sports are a big deal and a church on every street corner making you wonder if they're a bigger business than McDonalds.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gatts posted:

My father worked in Hazard, Kentucky 5 years is officially a Duke of Hazard per a certificate granted by the Governor or Mayor or some Official

This is explicitly unconstitutional.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Gatts posted:

A more realistic modern Smallville would have had a Super Walmart eradicate all small and family business competing against an ancient K-Mart, a middling Chinese restaurant run by an immigrant family and maybe the only Chinese/Japanese immigrant family there, couple local diners, an amazing BBQ joint, a couple of saloons (not bars, saloons, there is a difference), a basic but good and expensive Steak house with a yokel type name say "Cliff Hagen's", a Dollar Store of some type, some craft/home made shops for furniture, old theater with like 5 screens, good natured Hillbillies and hospitality with a social people oriented atmosphere as long as the colored folk minded their own business, lots of home business moonshine, trucks of all kinds and run down older cars, the rich people living on a high hill area 2-3 of those families are doctors and from out of country like Mid East or India/Pakistan/Asia required to serve in an undeserved area for citizenship, festivals, a vet clinic, farmhouses, and maybe, maybe a strip joint with some local and foreign girls and one or two amongst them who are surprisingly captivating with ambitions to be nurses eyeing the docs and angry boyfriends who will start to resent the foreign doctors and the doctors going "...best mind my own business." Local sports are a big deal and a church on every street corner making you wonder if they're a bigger business than McDonalds.

The film would have quite long if Superman had to fight a Kryptonian in every single one of these locations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

josh04 posted:

The film would have quite long if Superman had to fight a Kryptonian in every single one of these locations.
Yes but surely we all agree that Superman fighting someone in multiple real life franchises is a more honest and intelligent way of advertising within a movie

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Farg posted:

For gently caress's sake, either elaborate or gently caress off. Stop shifting your cryptic, vague goalposts.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

josh04 posted:

That’s a price I’m willing to pay.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Gatts posted:

My father worked in Hazard, Kentucky 5 years is officially a Duke of Hazard per a certificate granted by the Governor or Mayor or some Official and we are all Kentucky Colonels. I've lived in Hazard for a bit as a kid during college and summer.

Sir, this is the Fandango Customer Service Line.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Conal Cochran posted:

Has anyone here seen My Friend Dahmer? I'm curious about it and considering renting it.

It's very solid but doesn't capture the oddball slice of life stuff as well as the graphic novel. Ross Lynch is great in it though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Related: Ross Lynch is playing Harvey in Netflix’s Sabrina series.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Subway might play a role in Shazam.

Nice callback to Chuck, too. Subway should really just use Zach Levy as their Jared Fogle replacement.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

Smallville seems more like a Bob Evans type town. And they're suspicious of anyone who drinks Coke or Pepsi. They're firmly a RC Cola people

The only IHOP Kansas has is the International House of PRAYER.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

:discourse:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

“IHOP means I Hope in the language of my earth people.”

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Um, that's in Missouri, you scrub.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 19, 2018

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/awesomerawks/status/975157041130979328

https://twitter.com/Russo_Brothers/status/975468442131210240

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

For gently caress's sake, either elaborate or gently caress off. Stop shifting your cryptic, vague goalposts.

the gently caress are you even talking about

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Never say Be Kind Rewind wasn’t an important historical piece of work.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Farg posted:

Your post that he's responding to is incredibly vague at best. It's hard to interpret it in any meaningful way. What is the "it" that results from a certain worldview? Does product placement come from a worldview? Which worldview? What problem with "the honesty" are you referring to?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Farg posted:

Correct. That is what I'm asking. What the gently caress are you going on about? Either make your point about product placement, or gently caress off.

Martman posted:

Your post that he's responding to is incredibly vague at best. It's hard to interpret it in any meaningful way. What is the "it" that results from a certain worldview? Does product placement come from a worldview? Which worldview? What problem with "the honesty" are you referring to?

Or this, if you're feeling polite.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Farg posted:

i agree, capitalism should be destroyed

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I'm fairly sure if Chris Nolan had just taken man of steel , badly Photoshop his name on the credits and release the movie as is, the criticism of the movie would have been cut at least in half.
It would be considered a minor Nolan movie, and there would be much less vitriol and youtube videos about "What went wrong with MoS".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Really? There's plenty of people who think Nolan's finger slipped and he accidentally made Dark Knight Rises, a "bad movie", rather than Dark Knight 2.