Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am not through the game completely yet, but I would like to say that this game rewarded me for being as serious as I am about common breakfast food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've now finished P5 so here are some of my thoughts. Spoilers obviously, not going to make this post look like a CIA document though.

Overall plot: It really suffers from having been developed over like 10 years and having 30 iterations. I agree that the start is the strongest part, but I actually think the midgame part is fine (as in Kaneshiro, Medjed, Okumra is a perfectly fine progression). However, the END is the part that feels kinda meh to me. Mementos Depths was fine, Qilphoth World was just annoying. Also the Archangels were were more difficult than Yaldabaoth, which was kind of weird. The entire last fifth of the game felt kinda... Rushed. It was also weird that Nyarthalotep wasn't involved at all, but whatever. Akechi's entire subplot resolution was kinda a huge waste of time. It`s not like there was any real chance of anyone being the traitor. Having some reason to doubt other people probably would've made it more interesting.

It would have been nice if there were some more scenes that acknowledged your current social link ranks, and maybe a few more non s-link hangout events.

Gameplay: Man, mages are kinda lame. Just having one element type and minimal utility made skill sets feel anemic. Would it have killed them to put in Fire Dance or something for Ann? It's weird they even have Nuke Break for Makoto because Nuke sucks. It'd be nice if there were a few more bonus bosses that were a bit more challenging, since the main dungeon bosses were pretty much pushovers except for Azazel and Samael.

Party members: I liked everyone except Morgana. I would have been happy kicking Morgana out after the stunt he pulls in Okumura's palace. Not as bad as teddie was, at least.

Social links: Mixed bag, like always. I liked almost all of the CHARACTERS, but some of the links still sucked. There was also only 1 less social link than P4 (or 3 less than Golden) but it felt like there were a lot less for some reason. Maybe because so many were girls that could be romanced as opposed to just friends or something.

Best: Chariot, Sun, Emperor. Coherent character arcs, every time an event happens something actually happens and it doesn't feel like filler.

Good: Strength, Temperence. Some kinda filler moments but I liked them for the most part.

Average: Lovers, Moon, Death, Star. A bunch of the events feel like re-treading of previous parts (a problem the game has in general) but when stuff actually happens, it's nice. Mishima takes a long time to get to be likable.

Bad: Fortune, Devil. Basically the entire link is filler and I didn't care too much about what happened.

WORST: High Priestess. Makoto is my favorite party member, so they really had to try to figure out a way to make this s-link suck and boy howdy did they manage! Spending like 6-7 of the events focusing on some random NPC who was rude and unlikable instead of Makoto wasn't what I expected, but it was sure dumb. Needing high knowledge and maxed charm just made it even more dumb!

Didn't do enough to say: Hierophant, Hermit, Empress, Hanged Man.

Overall: I liked P3P more, but I liked it more than 1/2/4 and I really like those 4 games! Part of why I liked P3P more is being able to play as a girl, though.

I'd probably buy persona 5 crimson CIR.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It's almost been a year since release and It's Time To Return.

I've actually tried to return to the game a few times since then, but I couldn't bring myself to not play on Merciless, and most of my runs have ended because I got stonewalled in the first dungeon, realized I wouldn't be able to do it in one day, and decided I'd try again but harder another time. Now is that time, and I did all the dumb things the guide told me to like grinding by save/loading on the tutorial days. I hit the top of the first Palace, but I still gotta go back down and grab all the Personas I'm gonna need for social links, which includes grinding to level 9 so I can grab Berith and also have a shot at beating the boss.

Basically the only thing keeping me motivated from a gameplay-standpoint is knowing that the second palace boss is the one with weaknesses and it's gonna be real fun to absolutely trash him. My next big decision is whether or not to exploit the confusion mementos trick to get a bazillion dollars

lol good luck, you're gonna be in for a surprise!

Just turn down the difficulty if you can't beat some fights, there's no point in wasting time because Berith randomly crits you and one-shots joker from full HP.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 18, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Wait if the player avatar drops in battle you get an unconditional game over?

What in the absolute gently caress is that bullshit loving design. I just lost a good hour to that.

Also some sort of loving horseshit where I stun every enemy on the field and then don't get a hold up for some bizarre reason.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

Also some sort of loving horseshit where I stun every enemy on the field and then don't get a hold up for some bizarre reason.

To get the hold-up, you must knock down all the enemies while Main Character is standing and doesn't have a debilitating ailment like confusion or rage. If he recovers from being down or from an ailment and the enemies are all knocked down, that still doesn't trigger a hold-up.

Cuntellectual posted:

Didn't do enough to say: Hierophant

What the gently caress

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cuntellectual posted:

Didn't do enough to say: Hierophant, Hermit.

What on earth where you doing with your time that you were unable to hang out with your surrogate family?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cuntellectual posted:

Overall: I liked P3P more, but I liked it more than 1/2/4 and I really like those 4 games! Part of why I liked P3P more is being able to play as a girl, though.

Same.

Female protagonist for Persona 6 please.

Natural 20 posted:

Wait if the player avatar drops in battle you get an unconditional game over?

What in the absolute gently caress is that bullshit loving design. I just lost a good hour to that.

The game ending when the main character dies is a holdover from Persona 3 where the other party members being controlled by AI was mandatory.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The game ending when the main character dies is a holdover from Persona 3 where the other party members being controlled by AI was mandatory.

It's more a holdover from SMT games, where it was another layer of brutal difficulty. Hilariously, the mainline SMT games have dropped that aspect while the spinoff Persona series is still clinging to it :v:

The Warthog
Mar 25, 2013

Did I just do your job for you?

Cuntellectual posted:

Didn't do enough to say: Hierophant

:negative:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I finally finished the game tonight, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't have as much to say as Cuntellectual did, but I'll just say that the way the party dealt with Mister Ace Detective was pretty great.

I'll admit I used the Flu Season trick to get to near max level by using biological warfare on the Reaper, but even so I still had a great time, and I hope for Persona 6. Where one of the books you can read will almost certainly be about the Phantom Thieves.

And I'd love a female protagonist for 6 as well.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

Overall plot: It really suffers from having been developed over like 10 years and having 30 iterations. I agree that the start is the strongest part, but I actually think the midgame part is fine (as in Kaneshiro, Medjed, Okumra is a perfectly fine progression). However, the END is the part that feels kinda meh to me. Mementos Depths was fine, Qilphoth World was just annoying. Also the Archangels were were more difficult than Yaldabaoth, which was kind of weird. The entire last fifth of the game felt kinda... Rushed. It was also weird that Nyarthalotep wasn't involved at all, but whatever. Akechi's entire subplot resolution was kinda a huge waste of time. It`s not like there was any real chance of anyone being the traitor. Having some reason to doubt other people probably would've made it more interesting.

Akechi was the obvious choice for the traitor with how some of the cutscenes were edited with him so I never thought that element of the plot worked other then before you met Akechi.

Agreed with most of what you said. The last boss was just long but not hard. I did find that boss fight pretty epic especially the very end.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There are a few points where the game tries to make you suspicious of Makoto, but yeah.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The only time I thought it might be Makoto was when I thought it was an elaborate setup to help her sister.

I knew Akechi was bad news the first time I met him though because I caught that he understood Morgana

Bikindok
May 3, 2012
Akechi is so transparently the guy that the only time I doubted it was him was when I thought they might be double-bluffing me. Nobody is that unsubtle, right?

Turns out yes. Yes he is.

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

IMHO the twist is that the MC figures it out when the player does. I absolutely didn't see that coming, and it got me incredibly stoked and excited that the MC wasn't the stupid dumb idiot this sort of plot normally requires.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ApplesandOranges posted:

There are a few points where the game tries to make you suspicious of Makoto, but yeah.

IcePhoenix posted:

The only time I thought it might be Makoto was when I thought it was an elaborate setup to help her sister.

I knew Akechi was bad news the first time I met him though because I caught that he understood Morgana

I'd argue that if you catch that Akechi understands Morgana when they all first meet, that sort of points more towards the fact that he's been to the Metaverse before. That and he's on the front cover of the game. There's not really evidence that he's the black masked killer alluded to prior. I figured that was going to be Shido.

They do give some minor red herrings about Makoto doing something behind everyone's back around the time of the 6th palace, but it is pretty obvious who it is.

Maybe the reason why I didn't pick up on it is because prior to that, the game had introduced characters who you initially didn't like or were sort of antagonistic towards (Sojiro, Yusuke, Makoto, and I suppose Futaba), but you grew to like them. I thought that's what was going to happen with Akechi, but he's the killer, and so I felt like they were setting up a trend with the characters, but then pulled the rug out from under you with the reveal.

Cuntellectual posted:

It's like after you beat Shido (not gonna bother with more spoiler tags), you think, "Now the game's over, right?", and then it goes on for another few hours.

The ten years of development and 30 iterations is something that I wish there was more information on. Someone mentioned how the beach scene exists because Futaba was originally supposed to be part of the Hawaii trip. One of the things I noticed while playing was that Ann's modeling rival (whose name I forget) is I think the only character who has a portrait, but is neither a confidant, nor someone who plays into the main story, which in turn makes me think she had a much bigger role which was cut out. Hifumi Togo (the shogi girl in the church) I've heard was also supposed to be a party member.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 19, 2018

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah Haru getting a movie introducing her halfway through the game and then not being relevant until basically the end (and even then barely which sucked) was another thing that felt like it was the result of editing over the course of many plot changes. The entire Hawaii trip felt weird and pointless as well so I wouldn't be surprised if that was originally something else entirely. Yusuke just randomly walking into scene because his trip to California was diverted but then not mattering in that event anyway also felt like something that was hastily fixed last minute.

I'm really hoping the next Persona changes the format since I'm kind of done with the slow roll out of characters. The ones near the end either get short changed like Haru or the Poochy treatment (where everyone has to talk about how awesome they are as they were devoid of real interaction for 75% of the game) like Naoto.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 19, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

It's like after you beat Shido (not gonna bother with more spoiler tags), you think, "Now the game's over, right?", and then it goes on for another few hours.

Anyone who thought the game would end at Shido hasn't played a Persona title in the last decade.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I didn't even bother hanging out with Haru. She seemed more like an acquaintance than a friend of the main group.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I definitely only hung out with her for the achievement. Introducing a character that late in a game is so weird.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Jesus christ what a horrendous mechanic. So basically you're massively incentivised to just run the most defensive persona possible on your avatar in case something hits a weakness and proceeds to ORKO you.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Natural 20 posted:

Jesus christ what a horrendous mechanic. So basically you're massively incentivised to just run the most defensive persona possible on your avatar in case something hits a weakness and proceeds to ORKO you.

This is also game where some enemies have OHKO moves so that's probably a cool way to lose a bunch of dungeon progress.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I think it would’ve been better to not even set up at the beginning that you were caught because of a traitor. then you maybe wouldn’t be as suspicious at akechi joining since as far as you know you were caught in the future as part of Shidos master plan and not cause of a traitor that would obviously be akechi at that point.

Also I don’t think makotos s-link is that bad. I probably enjoyed it more than Anns. The worst has to be Ohya I feel although part of that is also her abilities being so useless.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010

So It Goes posted:

Also I don’t think makotos s-link is that bad. I probably enjoyed it more than Anns. The worst has to be Ohya I feel although part of that is also her abilities being so useless.

Ohya's reward would have felt more valuable if Palace security level didn't go down as you killed guys.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My dumb personal favourite Confidant list:

Fool: Ehhh they're all story-based so discounting this one
Magician: Junpei (P3P)
Priestess: Fuuka (P3P)
Empress: Mitsuru (P3P)
Emperor: Yusuke (P5)
Hierophant: Dojima (P4)
Lovers: Yukari (P3P)
Chariot: Chie (P4)
Justice: Nanako (P4)
Hermit: Futaba (P5)
Fortune: Naoto (P4)
Strength: Daisuke (P4)
Hanged Man: Naoki (P4)
Death: Takemi (P5)
Temperance: Kawakami (P5)
Devil: Ohya (P5)
Tower: Shinya (P5)
Star: Akihiko (P3P)
Moon: Shinjiro (P3P)
Sun: Yoshida (P5)

I went back and forth on a few of those. I initially had Iwai for Hanged, but as much as I liked the guy, Naoki's SL left a stronger impression. Also didn't care for anybody from Devil or Tower.

Also all the ones I picked from P3P were from the female side. The male/neutral links were either bad or just not that impressive.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Natural 20 posted:

Its not that bad. Your personas can learn dodge passives that can be inherited, you'll learn an ability in the velvet room that can make a persona learn a resistance skill during lockdown and you can always guard to negate weakness for one turn.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

IcePhoenix posted:

This is also game where some enemies have OHKO moves so that's probably a cool way to lose a bunch of dungeon progress.

Christ alive.

There's no safety bit accessory right?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Natural 20 posted:

Christ alive.

There's no safety bit accessory right?

You can fuse Personas with resistance/immunity to Light/Dark (the elements with the OHKO moves). You can also carry around sacrificial items that block them, and use skills that can absorb a single hit from them.

That said, they have pretty poor accuracy and are rarely the main threat to the party. If you get KO'd by one it's almost always a one-off.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's a bummer that crappy video game writing has trained everyone to assume that everything will be either explicitly spelled out immediately, or supposed to be a massive twist that completely surprises you.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

So It Goes posted:

I think it would’ve been better to not even set up at the beginning that you were caught because of a traitor. then you maybe wouldn’t be as suspicious at akechi joining since as far as you know you were caught in the future as part of Shidos master plan and not cause of a traitor that would obviously be akechi at that point.

The twist isn't that Akechi's the traitor, the twist is that you know he's the traitor. Even without the in media res opening, the game all but spells out that Akechi isn't to be trusted, and I was glad that the scooby gang actually picked up on it and planned a counter-offensive.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

So It Goes posted:

Real question here: have you ever read/seen a Lupin story? Like, ever?

It's not a mystery. It's not meant to be a surprise. There's nothing to figure out here. You were told up front, because that's the point

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Real question here: have you ever read/seen a Lupin story? Like, ever?

It's not a mystery. It's not meant to be a surprise. There's nothing to figure out here. You were told up front, because that's the point

TBH this post comes off needlessly aggressive to me and makes me not inclined to engage in the matter further if this is the discourse that is going to follow.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I mean, sure, if you want. But, the point is you were asking the wrong question, because it's the question you wanted the game to answer and not the one it was posing. It's a Lupin story, and the question isn't "who is the bad guy" because you already know that. It's "how does he get away this time?" and that's the question the game answers. It's a spectacle, not a mystery. Your default persona is literally Arsène Lupin. You live in a cafe named after Maurice Leblanc (the guy who wrote the stories). You are a gentleman Phantom Thief. It could only be less subtle if there was someone after you named Ganimard.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I don't think it's unreasonable to want Le Twist to be written better and not so easily telegraphed, even the original Lupin stories had suspense elements

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

HIJK posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to want Le Twist to be written better and not so easily telegraphed, even the original Lupin stories had suspense elements

It is, when you want "the twist" to be something that is explicitly isn't. The Twist is that everyone already knew Akechi was full of poo poo from literally their first conversation because he mentioned Pancakes. Even Ryuji saw right through it on the spot. And they were all able to keep that under wraps and sit on it for months and months and then bust him when he tried to bust them first. Hence, "who is the bad guy" is not the question being posed and answered. How they get away with it and one-up him is.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Dragonatrix posted:

It is, when you want "the twist" to be something that is explicitly isn't. The Twist is that everyone already knew Akechi was full of poo poo from literally their first conversation because he mentioned Pancakes. Even Ryuji saw right through it on the spot. And they were all able to keep that under wraps and sit on it for months and months and then bust him when he tried to bust them first. Hence, "who is the bad guy" is not the question being posed and answered. How they get away with it and one-up him is.

I don't disagree with you on what it is, I just think both aspects could have been done a little better. I figured out that the Thieves were laying a trap for Akechi when Joker had his first white-out in the interrogation room.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

HIJK posted:

I don't disagree with you on what it is, I just think both aspects could have been done a little better. I figured out that the Thieves were laying a trap for Akechi when Joker had his first white-out in the interrogation room.

Ah, yeah, that's definitely fair. That part was too obvious for all the wrong reasons, because of when it started and all. Even if someone didn't figure it out relatively quickly then, that it always happened to conveniently obscure information around the plan and nothing else would've made it especially blatant.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dragonatrix posted:

I mean, sure, if you want. But, the point is you were asking the wrong question, because it's the question you wanted the game to answer and not the one it was posing. It's a Lupin story, and the question isn't "who is the bad guy" because you already know that. It's "how does he get away this time?" and that's the question the game answers. It's a spectacle, not a mystery. Your default persona is literally Arsène Lupin. You live in a cafe named after Maurice Leblanc (the guy who wrote the stories). You are a gentleman Phantom Thief. It could only be less subtle if there was someone after you named Ganimard.

Where does Zenigata factor into this?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sojiro is Jigen without a suit and hat

EDIT: Actually Sojiro wears a hat too sometimes

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Sojiro is Jigen without a suit and hat

EDIT: Actually Sojiro wears a hat too sometimes

I'm like 90% sure I remember him wearing a suit whenever you go somewhere with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeah, he has this great, awful suit and hat that he wears occasionally.

IcePhoenix posted:

Where does Zenigata factor into this?

About 3 sequels generations in the future.