Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rainuwastaken posted:

Is it the one that takes place over near Snowcloak? I failed that a few times while leveling up a WHM on another server, it's pretty brutal. Only thing I can really suggest is to stand far from the NPCs and try to kill everything as fast as possible. They have an enormous amount of HP (which is probably why the heals aren't showing much effect) but they'll get worn down pretty quick by the boss. I had to try and tank everything I could personally while being far from the NPCs so they didn't get popped by area attacks.

Benediction should still full heal one of them if things get dicey. If that's not working, I've got nothing. :shrug:

It's level 40 or so, so the whole level sync thing would rule out Benediction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Tenik posted:

You can't do that until you get your first protean crystals

:stare:

Well that's just stupid.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shere posted:

Just kill 30 of these level one mobs and then spend untold hours in a frustratingly obtuse hellscape that was absolutely designed in an intentionally maddening way to punish the player for participating in it.

"It's not that bad" is like the most disappointing argument because it makes me want to tell people that their time is more valuable than Eureka or it's designers seems to think. gently caress.
My time isn't that valuable

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's level 40 or so, so the whole level sync thing would rule out Benediction.

Bah, my brain thought of Snowcloak and just assumed it was the level 50 circuit through Coerthas. Then yeah it's just a matter of having a good weapon, baiting AoEs away from Drillemont & Pals, and winning the death race.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Shere posted:

Just kill 30 of these level one mobs and then spend untold hours in a frustratingly obtuse hellscape that was absolutely designed in an intentionally maddening way to punish the player for participating in it.

"It's not that bad" is like the most disappointing argument because it makes me want to tell people that their time is more valuable than Eureka or it's designers seems to think. gently caress.

It's that bad, but it's tolerable. Up to level 16 now and I have come around on this zone to, "better than the light grind steps." And that has nothing to do with the quality of the content and everything to do with getting to afk for extended periods of time and do something else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yay, finished Baelsar's Wall for my first time, what's Illberd going to... :stare:

Illberd's probably been my favorite villain so far. His motives are understandable, his tactics reasonable, and I found his outsmarting and outplaying the good guys believable. I don't like how he seemed to go off the deep end at the last second to the point of sacrificing his own men, but I suspect that was probably Squeenix realizing that they might have made him too sympathetic.

Godspeed, Papalymo. You were an alright dude at the end.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

"Guess my ilevel is getting up there, might check out this rabanastre place"

On a side note I love that the raise mechanics mean I can just die over and over in the same fight, learning the mechanics one instant death at a time.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
AN IMPOSTOR EMERGES

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Tangents posted:

On a side note I love that the raise mechanics mean I can just die over and over in the same fight, learning the mechanics one instant death at a time.

Top Tip: you have several seconds of mercy invulnerability after being raised, but doing anything besides moving will end it early. So if you raise into a Quake IV or whatever, just chill for a couple of seconds and hope that your healers wake up before the invuln ends.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

Yay, finished Baelsar's Wall for my first time, what's Illberd going to... :stare:

Illberd's probably been my favorite villain so far. His motives are understandable, his tactics reasonable, and I found his outsmarting and outplaying the good guys believable. I don't like how he seemed to go off the deep end at the last second to the point of sacrificing his own men, but I suspect that was probably Squeenix realizing that they might have made him too sympathetic.

Godspeed, Papalymo. You were an alright dude at the end.

Ilberd

Killed his own men for mixed reasons. It's a little bit of A) "can't make an omelette", he needs their anguished dying faith for Shinryu and a little bit of B) Ilberd alludes to this in the end but while he's an ardent patriot he also kind of hates his countrymen, he's overflowing with bile for everyone who NEEDED the Griffin in the first place. The way he sees it, he's been fighting the good fight this whole time, why weren't they? They don't deserve Ala Mhigo. Which is probably also him extrapolating his rage at Raubahn onto anyone who behaved even remotely like him.

Ilberd is a very broken person is what I'm getting at here. For understandable reasons, but yeah

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

Sloppeh. :getin:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

:sloppy:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Hell, same.

Rabanastre has lots of stuff that will outright kill you but in general it's rare nowadays to end up in a compete raid wipe, so just keep eyes open and do what you can to learn the mechanics.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

BrightWing posted:

Hell, same.

Rabanastre has lots of stuff that will outright kill you but in general it's rare nowadays to end up in a compete raid wipe, so just keep eyes open and do what you can to learn the mechanics.

I wiped just yesterday on the third boss because our tank dc'd before the fight and no one wanted to wait for a fill. The Archeodemon just took apart our alliance's healers and DPS during the cage match mechanic.

e: Also one group just couldn't seem to kill sand spheres at all.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’m starting to realize I’ll probably never get to do eureka, I only have like 1-2 hours a day to play and I’m usually prioritizing roulettes, so by the time I’m done with those I’ve got like 45 minutes, and eureka sounds like it’s gonna take fuckin forever if you didn’t already start the Zerg rush the second the son was released. Oh well, I guess.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Good news you're barely missing out on anything at all outside of mediocre artifact gear not doing it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mordiceius posted:

Okay. I'm ready to Eureka. Except - I'm level 1. How do I get into it since I missed the initial rush?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823905&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=882#post482249832

nowadays the average level is higher so the cut off is more like abraxas at a minimum and then nm trains sputtering out around cyclops/simurgh but sometimes you get fafnir or a hazmat and you can go tag pazuzu for more exp.

do it as a rdm to chain rez everyone or do it as a healer to spam aoe and build threat to make sure you get gold on the super high level bosses if there's no one above level 10 in your party

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I can't remember the last time i did Rabanastre and didn't wipe to at least one of the bosses. It's always at least one. Usually Hashmallim, if not then probably Mateus, sometimes it's the last one too and only very rarely the third.

Today, it was Mateus again.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

lmao at the loving confusion over how to get a protean crystal on the last page

here's how you get it............. you go kill a mob the same level as you.

this seriously takes 5 minutes at level 1, less if you're higher level since protean drop chances go up. what the gently caress are you making a big deal out of when there's so much Actual poo poo and flaws in eureka to make fun of

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Top Tip: you have several seconds of mercy invulnerability after being raised, but doing anything besides moving will end it early. So if you raise into a Quake IV or whatever, just chill for a couple of seconds and hope that your healers wake up before the invuln ends.
Nah, moving is fine too. Attacking (even auto-attacking) or casting or using items or doing anything else will end it though, yeah.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Omega is one silly looking robo-bug. Reminds me of a Soul Ripper from Supreme Commander.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Cythereal posted:

Omega is one silly looking robo-bug. Reminds me of a Soul Ripper from Supreme Commander.

Omega (distinct from various Omega Weapons) is one of those odd legacy designs.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Minrad posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823905&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=882#post482249832

nowadays the average level is higher so the cut off is more like abraxas at a minimum and then nm trains sputtering out around cyclops/simurgh but sometimes you get fafnir or a hazmat and you can go tag pazuzu for more exp.

do it as a rdm to chain rez everyone or do it as a healer to spam aoe and build threat to make sure you get gold on the super high level bosses if there's no one above level 10 in your party

Well, I have an AST and a DRK at max level. I put off Eureka because I was feeling the desire to level my DRK, which I finally hit 70 on last night.

I went into Eureka the first day, ended up in multiple parties that were 2-4 healers, 4-6 DPS, and no tanks. I was able to do a couple chains with people so I could get a crystal for that first part of the quest. Got half way through level 1, but my connection was unstable that day so I hosed off to go level my DRK.

So that’s where I am now. Not at the COMPLETE start, but close.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
PSA as I just learned the hard way delevelling from 17 to 16 on the way to the magicite: contrary to what some people are saying, you do not, in fact, need to have 0 exp to delevel.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Minrad posted:

this seriously takes 5 minutes at level 1, less if you're higher level since protean drop chances go up. what the gently caress are you making a big deal out of when there's so much Actual poo poo and flaws in eureka to make fun of

I believe the general thrust of the complaints before were that if you drop in and group up right now (something the content goddamn near necessitates) as a level 1 the odds are pretty good you're going to be in a party with someone else high enough to disqualify you from drops. Anyone significantly over the level of a new player literally can't help out someone new, it's one of the major flaws of the trash heap that is Eureka.

But sure, get indignant about people ~not getting it~

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

Good news you're barely missing out on anything at all outside of mediocre artifact gear not doing it.

that will be BiS over raid gear at points in time during this expansion and even now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I wish I was lucky with my rng to get my first protean in 5 minutes. It took me till level 3 to finally have one drop.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Minrad posted:

We had a level 1 buddy head over to the beach for.. get this.. 30 minutes killing level 1 things, without a single protean drop. Yeah, Eureka has a bunch of other problems too, this does count as one of them.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Failboattootoot posted:

PSA as I just learned the hard way delevelling from 17 to 16 on the way to the magicite: contrary to what some people are saying, you do not, in fact, need to have 0 exp to delevel.

I can't parse this sentence, what?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Thundarr posted:

We had a level 1 buddy head over to the beach for.. get this.. 30 minutes killing level 1 things, without a single protean drop. Yeah, Eureka has a bunch of other problems too, this does count as one of them.

why does he need a protean crystal at level 1

is he gonna exploit a pazuzu feather and turn in his weapon right then or something

who gives a gently caress about the quests, do them at later levels when they aren't sending you to face mobs 5 levels higher than you instead of joining the throngs of people spamming "Help rez please" for 10 minutes before they auto raise in town

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

like I guarantee if you just enter the zone and fate train all the way to 19 so you can get your weapon, a protean crystal will randomly drop from just happening upon a party with everyone around the same level or from you being the highest in the party. i've gotten like a hundred proteans from doing this without ever intending to farm them.

it makes about as much sense to bitch about as complaining you have to go to the calamity salvage outside the instance to buy your antiquated gear. yeah? so what? why not complain about the fact that it has level downs and exp downs, or that level syncing to fight NMs means you pick up aggro and die to the random +5 level adds around the NM, or the fact that you have an instance timer, or the fact that you can't choose your instance, there's no way to track NMs respawns except manually which doesn't work with the instance timer aggravating misinformation, the random spawn chance for NMs instead of tying it to just a set amount of mobs to kill, etc etc

why something that Literally Doesn't Matter

Minera fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 19, 2018

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Because the first quest of Eureka is to get a protean crystal. Until you get one you can't get magicite or talk to Gerolt to do anything. This includes turning Anemos into Protean. Meaning someone can even potentially get on the train fighting NM's and never get a protean crystal and thus never get his magicite. You don't NEED one till level 3 but unless that person wants to solo grind for 3 levels he'll get NOTHING fighting mobs and supposedly even NM's if one person I heard is telling the truth(I assume he got dragged to high level ones not the lower ones) and barely get any xp or the ability to progress. Because the zerg has left them behind and both won't and can't help them until they become higher level.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, that's the end of Heavensward.

It goes without saying that I think this was a much stronger story than ARR. Some missteps, which I've recounted previously, but if this is representative of the story going forward then I think I'm good with that. Not sure how to feel about Yda, she never made much of an impression on me before as the Scions' brute, albeit one with a ditzy personality. While I'm not a fan of sudden reveals and dumping a character's hitherto-unknown motives in one big motive rant, I'm interested to see what comes of her in Stormblood.

I still think Heavensward's biggest problems were with its villains. Illberd was the only one throughout the whole game I really liked, I could buy how he outsmarted the good guys which is rather rare for supposedly super-smart villains whose plans succeed mainly by plot fiat or the good guys suddenly being really dumb. Nidhogg was perfunctory, I did want to kill him pretty bad by the end so mission accomplished with him, but I think he desperately needed a massive ham to voice him. Thordan and the Heaven's Ward were "Oh yeah, those guys are also in this story and bad." For an expansion named after them, they were barely present and lackluster in what screen time they had. Bismarck was visually cool and nothing more, neither he nor the evil Vanu got a personality. Ravana at least had a fun personality and awesome boss music. The Warriors of Darkness were a great idea executed absolutely terribly, and in the bottom line I think they were the dumbest villains yet in the game.

But for the guys tying all these threats together, the Ascians continue to bore me and I think some of the villains were done a disservice by tying them to the Ascians. I think they're similar to the Iconians in Star Trek Online - for the guys responsible for pretty much everything bad in the universe, they're an awfully boring bunch when you actually encounter them.

Still, a generally strong cast helped Heavensward immensely. I liked Ysayle, Estinian, Ayemric (eventually), Count Fortemps, the Fortemps son guys (eventually), Krile, Alisaie, Nero, and even Shithead became much more tolerable. I still don't care much for the Scions, but if they had to survive ARR I think they've been handled about as well as they could have.

I think HW also had much more interesting dungeons than ARR, at least visually. Limitless Blue, Antitower, Sohr Kai, and The Vault were all terrific, and Aetherochemical Research Facility's music track on youtube has joined my collection of bookmarked music themes (from this game, incidentally, it joins the Ascian battle theme, the Snowcloak dungeon theme, the Good King Moggle Mog XII battle theme, and Leviathan's phase one music with the drums and no vocals).

All told, I'm pretty happy with HW. Bring on Stormblood.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Gally posted:

Some people, probably those who never played an MMO where experience and level loss was a real mechanic, thought you had die with zero to lose a level. As long as you had one experience point you would be safe from level loss, like Sonic the loving Hedgehog. would be their logic.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 19, 2018

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I will paypal you 100 dollars if you can film yourself fate training in random parties all the way to level 19 without getting a random protean crystal at any point. the quests don't matter until the one at level 17 that gives you a mount and being level 19 to turn in your artifact weapon.

then after I'm banned you can collect a protean crystal from fighting a single same level mob because the drop chances go way, way up on crystals as you get to higher levels. it's a complete non-issue.

:toxx:

e: as I typed this up i got 10 protean crystals from people killing zus. there's a level 3 in the party and I'm level 18 and completely afk. lol.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Gally posted:

You have an experience bar, 0 to X where X is what you need to level. Some fools were saying that as long as you had some buffer experience you wouldn't level down. They were wrong.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Cythereal posted:

So, that's the end of Heavensward.

It goes without saying that I think this was a much stronger story than ARR. Some missteps, which I've recounted previously, but if this is representative of the story going forward then I think I'm good with that.

It isn't. For an expansion that has been a disappointment on nearly all fronts, how weak the plot is compared to HW is the biggest.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I'd say it's still better than ARR's plot, which was totally non-existent. And the flaws with ARR are mostly tied to having a split narrative; I think the Othard side of the story is fine.

Plus you're coming up on the Best Zone and Zone Plot Line in the game when you reach the Azim Steppe, so get ready for a fun time.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Minrad posted:

e: as I typed this up i got 10 protean crystals from people killing zus. there's a level 3 in the party and I'm level 18 and completely afk. lol.

Guess how many the level 3 got?

e:
Eureka is obtuse bullshit I don't know what the gently caress you're trying to get out of arguing the semantics of how obtuse it really is or isn't. I'm glad you have it all figured out though, good for you.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Shere posted:

Guess how many the level 3 got?

about as many as he has things to spend them on