Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

porkface posted:

I just watched a show heavily associated with a product, and immediately started seeing ads for the product on my social. The product isn't named anywhere in the show meta data, however it's a pretty clear campaign to associate with this episode of the show.

How do I turn this off?

There are a lot of good ad blockers out there. uBlock Origin is probably the best available at the moment.

Other than that, avoiding social media is always good advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

Correlation != Causation

EDIT: To be more specific, some products have large marketing budgets and it's possible the people behind the product, knowing they would be featured on a TV show people watch, purchased more online ads than usual. Like I can't avoid an ad for Coca-Cola simply because my interests skew into markets they heavily advertise in, and I don't know what game show replaced The Apprentice as product placement central but it used to be that products featured on that show would do a heavy ad buy around the time their episode was scheduled to air.

However, "how do I turn this off" implies you think Plex is selling viewership telemetry to marketers, and that's bullshit.

I'd bet your "big push" ad buy theory is probably the cause in this case. For another take on "THEY'RE SPYING ON YOU!!!!": https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/109-facebook-spying

TL;DR
Probably not spying on you, but they know a ton about you and coincidences are a thing.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Craptacular! posted:

Correlation != Causation

EDIT: To be more specific, some products have large marketing budgets and it's possible the people behind the product, knowing they would be featured on a TV show people watch, purchased more online ads than usual. Like I can't avoid an ad for Coca-Cola simply because my interests skew into markets they heavily advertise in, and I don't know what game show replaced The Apprentice as product placement central but it used to be that products featured on that show would do a heavy ad buy around the time their episode was scheduled to air.

However, "how do I turn this off" implies you think Plex is selling viewership telemetry to marketers, and that's bullshit.

I get all of that, and I wasn't trying to imply any intentional selling of data. I was more interested in how to block anything that might be picked up via my browser.

It was especially weird because it showed up in a place where I normally get highly targeted ads for software and things I've searched for or from industries I work with. But this was a fairly specific product, that had nothing to do with anything I look for. The only demographics that match are age, gender, and income (which I admit are generally the most important demographics for ads). It was just striking how it took the place of much more targeted ads, so I assumed it was based on the show.

I will see if this happens with other shows.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My server has over 500 episodes of Power Rangers, with a little less than half of them marked, and that’s before we get into the Japanese show it’s based on, where I have hundreds more. I also watch a bunch of “based on comic books” shows like The Flash, Supergirl, and one of those Marvel programs. I should be swimming in superhero toy ads, right?

My social ads are for pizza, Starbucks, and pet beds.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

porkface posted:

I get all of that, and I wasn't trying to imply any intentional selling of data. I was more interested in how to block anything that might be picked up via my browser.

It was especially weird because it showed up in a place where I normally get highly targeted ads for software and things I've searched for or from industries I work with. But this was a fairly specific product, that had nothing to do with anything I look for. The only demographics that match are age, gender, and income (which I admit are generally the most important demographics for ads). It was just striking how it took the place of much more targeted ads, so I assumed it was based on the show.

I will see if this happens with other shows.

Try Ghostery, Privacy Badger, and similar browser extensions.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Try Ghostery, Privacy Badger, and similar browser extensions.

Ghostery sells the poo poo out of your data.

Friendship ended with Ghostery

Now Ublock Origin (origin, not the regular one) and HTTPS Everywhere are my best friends.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm more of an Adguard person. It's simple and effective for people who don't like having to set up filters themselves. It's also a free browser extension yet funded through running a premium system-wide blocker that I don't need.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

E: Wrong thread

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

porkface posted:

I just watched a show heavily associated with a product, and immediately started seeing ads for the product on my social. The product isn't named anywhere in the show meta data, however it's a pretty clear campaign to associate with this episode of the show.

How do I turn this off?

It's probably not plex, but maybe your phone.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If you want to block ads like a pro, spend a couple bucks on a Raspberry Pi and install a Pi Hole

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Craptacular! posted:

It's simple and effective for people who don't like having to set up filters themselves. It's also a free browser extension
So, you mean uBlock Origin, right?

(Or Origin, or Adblock Plus, or AdBlock, for that matter. They're all simple and effective, but UO plays nice with MSN.com and Comcast.net's searches, for what that's worth.)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Plex on Apple TV has been really unstable for me. Once it's running a show it's fine, but opening the app usually causes it to crash or restart or not find the server maybe 3-4 times before it comes good. Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My plex has been so much better since I had the house wired up for cat 6 and moved the dedicated server box to the garage plugged into the backbone of the network directly. Haven't had it drop off once.

gently caress off wireless technology forever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haven’t had any issues like that on my Apple TV. Wireless from memory (it’s so close to the router anyway it doesn’t make much difference for me).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My whole setup is wired so it's not that for me either. Plex server is running on my NAS and both ends are up to date.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spent some time stripping out all the collection tags brought in via tMDB (which are generally garbage) and stopping them from coming in, and now pretty happy with how that all looks. Helps separate big chunks of a collection at least that I don't really want to trawl through every time I pick a movie to watch. Just gotta hope it plays nice with the clients now. Shame everything still comes through in the 'Recently Added' view, but eh.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Does anyone have any plugins/scripts to basically do what plex optimizer does but not lovely?

I want to drop a bluray rip into a directory, have it notice and use a low priority process to make some transcodes to a couple of different settings. As far as I can tell plex optimizer will only let me optimize to a single format, its configurability and options are limited, and it seems to choke on stuff halfway through and die w/ no way to kick it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I mean there's this crazy thing some guy made with ruby and some other stuff to make his blu-ray rips roughly itunes stream size (6000 kbps 1080p, 3000 kbps 720p) https://github.com/donmelton/video_transcoding

Probably not really what you're looking for but it's kinda impressive nonetheless.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

havenwaters posted:

I mean there's this crazy thing some guy made with ruby and some other stuff to make his blu-ray rips roughly itunes stream size (6000 kbps 1080p, 3000 kbps 720p) https://github.com/donmelton/video_transcoding

Probably not really what you're looking for but it's kinda impressive nonetheless.

that's pretty nice. I wrote a low-rent version of the same thing that I've been using for years.

I could write a cron job that kicks off a file scanner to run the encoder at low-priority, it wouldn't be a big deal, I was just hoping someone already had.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Is there a way to set a sleep timer? I feel like Plex used to do this and then just...stopped.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On what sort of device? Only device I do that with is a Roku TV, so I use its own built-in sleep timer.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

On what sort of device? Only device I do that with is a Roku TV, so I use its own built-in sleep timer.

I use the Web Player normally. I just downloaded OpenPHT so I might give that a try.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dren posted:

Does anyone have any plugins/scripts to basically do what plex optimizer does but not lovely?

I want to drop a bluray rip into a directory, have it notice and use a low priority process to make some transcodes to a couple of different settings. As far as I can tell plex optimizer will only let me optimize to a single format, its configurability and options are limited, and it seems to choke on stuff halfway through and die w/ no way to kick it.

Is your use-case such that your PMS has a weak CPU but with a ton of storage? Because otherwise I'm struggling to come up with a reason to have a bunch of pre-rendered transcodes instead of letting PMS do it on the fly as needed by the clients.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Atomizer posted:

Is your use-case such that your PMS has a weak CPU but with a ton of storage? Because otherwise I'm struggling to come up with a reason to have a bunch of pre-rendered transcodes instead of letting PMS do it on the fly as needed by the clients.

I think so but I’m not sure. I guess I should bench it. Is there an easy way to bench it?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Dren posted:

I think so but I’m not sure. I guess I should bench it. Is there an easy way to bench it?

So...you don't even know if you need this?

Why is it so hard for people to just use Plex like Plex and not worry about it?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

So...you don't even know if you need this?

Why is it so hard for people to just use Plex like Plex and not worry about it?

Pretranscoding my media: problem I know how to solve
Figuring out how much transcoding I can/need to do at once: problem that is slightly annoying to solve (I share with a few friends and I’m not sure what a good peak usage number is) and I’m not gonna upgrade the cpu anyway if the answer turns out to be “not enough”

If I figure out how to pretranscode the stuff then I never need to think about if there’s enough cpu for transcoding. And I just found out yesterday that hard drives got way bigger and cheaper since I set my system up in 2013.

Dren fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 3, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I have a Chromecast, Plex, an Echo, and a Pixel 2. I also have a spare Android phone lying around if I need it, and an iPad Pro. What's my best option for watching shows off Plex on my TV? Currently I have to manually select what I want to watch from a menu but I was hoping I could just announce something like "Computer, play all the latest episodes I haven't seen yet" and save myself the trouble. The problem I've found is that Alexa has a Plex skill, but only Google Assistant has a casting skill, neither of them having the other, so it's a bit aggravating.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Dren posted:

Figuring out how much transcoding I can/need to do at once: problem that is slightly annoying to solve (I share with a few friends and I’m not sure what a good peak usage number is) and I’m not gonna upgrade the cpu anyway if the answer turns out to be “not enough”

If I figure out how to pretranscode the stuff then I never need to think about if there’s enough cpu for transcoding. And I just found out yesterday that hard drives got way bigger and cheaper since I set my system up in 2013.

Or you could just not worry about it.

Argue posted:

I have a Chromecast, Plex, an Echo, and a Pixel 2. I also have a spare Android phone lying around if I need it, and an iPad Pro. What's my best option for watching shows off Plex on my TV? Currently I have to manually select what I want to watch from a menu but I was hoping I could just announce something like "Computer, play all the latest episodes I haven't seen yet" and save myself the trouble. The problem I've found is that Alexa has a Plex skill, but only Google Assistant has a casting skill, neither of them having the other, so it's a bit aggravating.

Nothing is that slick. Just cast from whatever device you're holding.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dren posted:

Look up your CPU on cpubenchmark.net and see what it scores there. Divide that by 2000 and that's roughly the number of concurrent 1080p transcodes your server can handle. Done.

The only thing I optimize are 4k source files, because transcoding those sucks up a ton of CPU. Even then I only do it once to 1080p.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Look up your CPU on cpubenchmark.net and see what it scores there. Divide that by 2000 and that's roughly the number of concurrent 1080p transcodes your server can handle. Done.

The only thing I optimize are 4k source files, because transcoding those sucks up a ton of CPU. Even then I only do it once to 1080p.

Thanks. According to that my cpu can't even do 1 transcode so I need to keep encoding my media like I have been unless I buy a new machine. A system with an E5-2667 that has a 17,000 passmark score is like $400 so I'll have to figure out if being able to transcode everything is worth it to me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dren posted:

my cpu can't even do 1 transcode so I need to keep encoding my media like I have been unless I buy a new machine.

Are you running Plex Media Server on a NAS or a PC with an 800MHz Celeron?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

teagone posted:

Are you running Plex Media Server on a NAS or a PC with an 800MHz Celeron?

It’s an AMD Opteron from 2007. Dual-core :smuggo:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:drat: That's ancient, lol.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Why do you hate yourself? :cmon:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

havenwaters posted:

oooo thanks for this. I was just looking at cobbling something like this together.

Anyone use Plex+TiVo? I can't seem to seek backwards/forwards without the whole thing making GBS threads itself. I think this is more of a TiVo thing than a plex thing. h.264 RF=24, 4.0 level, 1920x??? in a mkv with one AAC Stereo Audio stream. I'm trying out a MP4 "Web Optimized" version of this otherwise identical profile to see if it helps.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Dren posted:

Man those were pretty good CPUs back in the day even if C2Ds did end up blowing the crap out of all of them.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 4, 2018

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I’ve been running it as a plex server for five years, encoding all my rips before I upload them to it. I picked a fairly vanilla encode format for my rips and I guess literally everything will play it without transcoding. I’ve never noticed how underpowered it is so why fix what ain’t broke?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dren posted:

Hardware transcoding is now a thing (via QuickSync and NVENC) so you could potentially add a cheap nVidia GPU to your current setup and transcode on the fly with that.

Dren posted:

Oof, that's positively ancient. Upgrading will be worth the expense.

Dren posted:

You can peek into your server's Web interface on occasion and glance at how many people are streaming at once. If it's you + 3 friends don't be surprised if you never have more than one, maybe 2 clients at any given time unless you've got a shitton of content and/or you guys watch movies all the time (I have almost 2k movies and have never had more than 2 people streaming at once.)

I mean it's not a bad idea to budget more resources than you plan to need, but don't overestimate.

Dren posted:

Thanks. According to that my cpu can't even do 1 transcode so I need to keep encoding my media like I have been unless I buy a new machine. A system with an E5-2667 that has a 17,000 passmark score is like $400 so I'll have to figure out if being able to transcode everything is worth it to me.

Yeah, you don't need to go overboard with a 17k Passmark Xeon, but $400 isn't bad for an older, used PC for PMS. That's basically in the price range we'd recommend to a new user who needs to acquire the hardware for his server rather than having stuff lying around. For example this would suffice if you wanted a SFF PC and either had your media on USB HDDs or connected to them over the network (you could leave them on your current Opteron PC and stick it in a closet as a file server.) This would be a more traditional desktop in the same price range.

Dren posted:

I’ve been running it as a plex server for five years, encoding all my rips before I upload them to it. I picked a fairly vanilla encode format for my rips and I guess literally everything will play it without transcoding. I’ve never noticed how underpowered it is so why fix what ain’t broke?

The point is, one of Plex's main features is that it handles transcoding for you. Your current PC is probably comparable to one of the new, transcoding-capable NASs (which are nevertheless barely capable of transcoding) so it's sort of right on the cusp of being functional. If you wanted to enable subtitles (requiring transcoding to burn-in,) add UHD files, encode in HEVC, etc., you'd run into issues with your current hardware.

You've basically got a barely functional setup relying on the equivalent of digital duct-tape.

Argue posted:

Chromecast will be the easiest, and while you can't use voice control to have Plex play "all unwatched episodes," it at least does a good job of keeping track of what you have and haven't watched so it makes that part easier.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Dren is the guy who the Shield's "I'm a set top box that can run Plex SERVER too!" thing is for.

Way to get your money's worth out of that CPU, guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

oooo thanks for this. I was just looking at cobbling something like this together.

Anyone use Plex+TiVo? I can't seem to seek backwards/forwards without the whole thing making GBS threads itself. I think this is more of a TiVo thing than a plex thing. h.264 RF=24, 4.0 level, 1920x??? in a mkv with one AAC Stereo Audio stream. I'm trying out a MP4 "Web Optimized" version of this otherwise identical profile to see if it helps.

Yes, on a Roamio and first gen mini, so I'm limited to 720p 4mbps (everything is transcoded). I've had success seeking fast enough that the video doesn't resume, just the time seeks forward, waiting for about 5 seconds of video playback before trying to jump elsewhere or else the plex app crashes. Not ideal but I don't find myself needing to skip around a lot so I don't encounter it much.