Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Rhyno posted:

Winter Soldier, GotG, Thor3, BP.

Gotta expand he best of area when you got more good flicks.

Yea, now that Black Panther is out we gotta have Top 4s instead of Top 3s

Or say "Not counting Black Panther" when we ask people's favorite MCU flicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fartbox you are no longer allowed to talk about any Rhinos. Or Rhynos for that matter. Let's see how long until your head explodes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He just really wants someone to buy him a war rhino avatar. War rhino was a good boy, and I'll just assume everyone loves him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm reading through Panther's Rage in the old Jungle Action comics that Christopher Priest says did a lot of the heavy lifting for inspiring the Black Panther movie and the first issue certainly is proving him right.

Jungle Action featuring the Black Panther #6

That's a vengeful Killmonger throwing a defeated Panther off a big ol' waterfall to his supposed death.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My personal MCU Top 10:

1. Black Panther
2. Winter Soldier
3. Civil War
4. Thor Ragnarok
5. Spider-man Homecoming
6. Guardians 2
7. Iron Man
8. First Avenger
9. Guardians 1
10. Ant Man

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Fartbox you are no longer allowed to talk about any Rhinos. Or Rhynos for that matter. Let's see how long until your head explodes.

LoL, now I'm going to quote all of his posts until he responds to me.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Rhyno posted:

Winter Soldier, GotG, Thor3, BP.

This is the objectively correct list.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Chill Penguin posted:

This is the objectively correct list.

It's very solid, I'd maybe just put GotG2 on it instead of 1 because the Family theme it has really fucks me up.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Samuringa posted:

It's very solid, I'd maybe just put GotG2 on it instead of 1 because the Family theme it has really fucks me up.

Sean Gunn at the end when he sees the ravager funeral is one of the best scenes I think I have seen in a while

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GotG2 has too many flat spots for me. 1 was lightning in a a bottle. 2 is like, in a jar.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
We doing Top 3/5/10s?

Cap 2
Guardians 1
Black Panther
Ant-Man
Thor 3

And no, I don’t have a logical reason for Ant-Man’s ranking. I like Paul Rudd, heist flicks, and the jokes really landed for me :shrug:

Rhyno posted:

GotG2 has too many flat spots for me. 1 was lightning in a a bottle. 2 is like, in a jar.
This is how I feel. There are parts of 2 that I love more than anything in 1, but I just can’t justify ranking it higher because the film as a whole feels lacking. It’s very middle of the pack for me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Thor 3, Black Panther, Civil War, Iron Man 3, Ant-Man.

Rhyno posted:

I felt the reverse. The Thanos stuff in 1 is dead air whereas 2 was more interested in its own characters and had a surprisingly heartfelt ending, especially given how much I dislike Star-Lord. It's still middle of the pack but I'd rewatch it again over the first one.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'll never understand why that extremely brief Thanos cameo in GOTG bothers people so much.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JT Smiley posted:

I'll never understand why that extremely brief Thanos cameo in GOTG bothers people so much.

He's got more than a cameo and the main effect is to slow down the pace and to make Thanos look weak and incompetent. It's barely better than Iron Man 2's franchise stuff.

James Gunn posted:

There’s pressure with Thanos because you’re setting up this gigantic character that, in one way, isn’t really a part of your movie. His presence doesn’t really serve being in Guardians, and having Thanos be in that scene was more helpful to the Marvel universe than it was to Guardians of the Galaxy. I always wanted to have Thanos in there, but from a structural standpoint, you don’t need him. So that’s part of it, and then part of it is the fact that you’re setting up this incredibly powerful character, but you don’t want to belittle the actual antagonist of the film, which is Ronan. You don’t want him to seem like a big wussy. So how do you make that work?
And that’s why Ronan kills The Other

Between Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy Thanos is betrayed or let down by basically every major underling, has gone backwards in his search for Infinity Stones, and has sat on his arse and done nothing to rectify it except make the same mistakes again.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I know that connections between movies are minimal and inconsequential, but do you think NOT seeing Black Panther before Infinity War would have any impact on enjoying that movie? At this rate, it'll be out of theatres before I get a chance to see the drat thing. :(

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Jamesman posted:

I know that connections between movies are minimal and inconsequential, but do you think NOT seeing Black Panther before Infinity War would have any impact on enjoying that movie? At this rate, it'll be out of theatres before I get a chance to see the drat thing. :(

Black Panther is making Frozen numbers I think you have at least a few months.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jamesman posted:

Well, my main fear is that Wakanda will be flattened in Infinity War, which would make certain developments in Black Panther fall a bit flat after the fact.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, my main fear is that Wakanda will be flattened in Infinity War, which would make certain developments in Black Panther fall a bit flat after the fact.

I feel like Feige is probably savvy enough not to build Black Panther up as much as they did (and while you can never, ever truly predict these things with 100% certainty, I'm fairly certain that he must have been pretty confident in how well it would do once it was finally released) only to then piss it all away for cheap shock value two months later. Watch me be proven horribly wrong, and I'm sure Wakanda may take some licks the same way New York did, but they'd be insanely, uncharacteristically dumb to raze it all to the ground unless Infinity War Part 2 ends with some sort of magic retcon that undoes it all or something.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I have such a hard time with lists because I feel like I can go forever trying to put one over the other. I can do a top 5, just not in any kind of reasonable order. Winter Soldier gets in for the elevator scene. Homecoming for "If you're gonna point that gun at someone, point it at me" and "Yo Spidey, do a flip". I've seen Black Panther 4 times, so that's going to have to go in there. Those are certainly the top 3. Then I feel like I'll also put Guardians 2 over the first one and Civil War can round out the list.

Personally I find the first Iron Man to be a little overrated and I was super tempted to just put all 3 Cap movies in the top 5.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

mycot posted:

Black Panther is making Frozen numbers I think you have at least a few months.

I genuinely don't know. Movie's been out for a while and there's really only one option for a theatre near me. Worried it'll get dropped if I can't see it by next week.

Also would be expecting Black Panther to get pushed out in favor of promoting Avengers.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kai Tave posted:

I feel like Feige is probably savvy enough not to build Black Panther up as much as they did (and while you can never, ever truly predict these things with 100% certainty, I'm fairly certain that he must have been pretty confident in how well it would do once it was finally released) only to then piss it all away for cheap shock value two months later. Watch me be proven horribly wrong, and I'm sure Wakanda may take some licks the same way New York did, but they'd be insanely, uncharacteristically dumb to raze it all to the ground unless Infinity War Part 2 ends with some sort of magic retcon that undoes it all or something.

Honestly, I agree with you, but I don't dare underestimate the ability of Hollywood to Miss The loving Point. And double for Marvel.

As far as I am concerned, the chances of it happening are non-zero.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 20, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Unlucky7 posted:

Honestly, I agree with you, but I don't dare underestimate the ability of Hollywood to Miss The loving Point. And double for Marvel.

As far as I am concerned, the chances of it happening are non-zero.

The chances are non-zero, but Marvel the movie studio is largely a different entity than Marvel the comics publisher. The MCUs missteps have been things like "Joss Whedon ignoring Winter Soldier so he could put Nick Fury in Age of Ultron," nothing really to the same degree as "yeah, that critically and commercially wildly successful movie we just made? Let's burn it all for cheap heat." Plus holy hell, they absolutely have to be planning another Black Panther solo movie now if they weren't already.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
For me, the “Father and Son” scene puts Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 over the top for best comic book movie over part 1. Watching Rocket realize that, yeah, he’s a terrible person, but he’s not worthless will never not wreck me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s a good reflection on Marvel that three of their best films have come out in less than a year

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s a good reflection on Marvel that three of their best films have come out in less than a year

Yeah, it would have been so easy for them to keep rehashing the same stuff, but instead they went and got three quality directors who weren’t giant names or known for big budget action movies (I’m including Gunn in that since he wasn’t known for that before 1) and let them go nuts. I’ve always liked the marvel movies but the phase three stuff has been fantastic.

E:add up the budget for all the movies all three directors did before doing Marvel, and you’re still at half the budget of Thor 3.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 20, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GualabiBlog/status/976084366676897793

Womp womp

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It will make most of its money in Batman action figure variants.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, it would have been so easy for them to keep rehashing the same stuff, but instead they went and got three quality directors who weren’t giant names or known for big budget action movies (I’m including Gunn in that since he wasn’t known for that before 1) and let them go nuts. I’ve always liked the marvel movies but the phase three stuff has been fantastic.

E:add up the budget for all the movies all three directors did before doing Marvel, and you’re still at half the budget of Thor 3.
Actually I should correct myself, I forgot that GotG2 came out last year, so that’s four of their best in a year.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rhyno posted:

It has its share of problems (yet another overlong third-act CG orgy involving evil universe-destroying blue energy, overuse of the MCU "dramatic moment undercut with a gag" trope), but it earns and executes most of its emotional beats better than the majority of the franchise does, the first film included.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I agree that the 3rd act is overlong, but not too terribly. I think it could have been trimmed a bit.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The biggest problem with GotG2 is that they used the wrong part of The Chain for the climactic fight with Ego.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

It's hard to rank MCU films, but I think Black Panther is easily top 3. While I have a few quibbles with the narrative and pacing, the themes are so important and well implemented that they easily overshadow any weaknesses. Winter Soldier is also up there for obvious reasons.

Beyond that, I think it comes down to taste. Both GotGs are wonderful, with complementary strengths and weaknesses. Civil War, while not as thematically strong, was really satisfying from a comic nerd pov. Iron Man 3 really struck with me at the time, but I think that's because I appreciated the themes and the Mandarin troll. Homecoming finally got Spider-Man right, and meshed super heroics with high-school comedy well. While I don't rank Ragnarok as high as others, it was easily better than the previous films and a lot of fun.

While I'm sure this will change after some time and thought I'd rank them currently as follows:

Winter Soldier
Black Panther
Guardians of the Galaxy
Civil War
GotG Vol 2
Iron Man 3
Homecoming
Ragnarok
Avengers
Ant-Man
Iron Man
First Avenger
Dr. Strange
Thor
Age of Ultron
Incredible Hulk
The Dark World
Iron Man 2

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I literally cannot remember a thing about Thor 2, and I know I've seen it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

I literally cannot remember a thing about Thor 2, and I know I've seen it.

The dark elves and Asgard and their respective ships and technology were all fuckin’ awesome. Loki interacting with anyone, really. The final battle with portal fuckery. Frigga’s funeral ship. That’s just off the top of my head, haven’t seen it for a while.

Oh, and proto-Korg.

EDIT: Also, Loki impersonating Cap while Alan Silvestri’s march plays in the background.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 20, 2018

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I didn't hate Thor 2, but other than Loki and the final fight, it's just not very memorable. It does what it sets out to do competently, but all it's doing is a standard genre story with really flat villains.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The joke in Thor 2 when they throw their keys into the rift is pretty good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Excuse me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hemsworth looks so much better with the cropped hair.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The ships were also flying swords, which was awesome.

Wife and I watched Dark World last night as we're going through all the movies (and apparently Agents of Shield as well). That hammer on the coat rack was apparently ad-libbed by Hemsworth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thor 2 is the only MCU movie I never got around to seeing

• Locked thread