Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
You need one for the quest. Keeping up with the quest as a guideline is what the game has trained the entire playerbase to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I mean to be blunt, you could need 1,300 even at level 1, its what you need to make your relic.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Minrad posted:

I will paypal you 100 dollars if you can film yourself fate training in random parties all the way to level 19 without getting a random protean crystal at any point. the quests don't matter until the one at level 17 that gives you a mount and being level 19 to turn in your artifact weapon.

then after I'm banned you can collect a protean crystal from fighting a single same level mob because the drop chances go way, way up on crystals as you get to higher levels. it's a complete non-issue.

:toxx:

e: as I typed this up i got 10 protean crystals from people killing zus. there's a level 3 in the party and I'm level 18 and completely afk. lol.

The quests are what the game does to give new players directions for how to proceed through the zone. Granted, they are bad directions and the community has found a better way to get the results that players want, but the directions still say to go get a group of players and kill monsters until you get a crystal drop. Unless you are already connected to an FC of players who are already well informed about how Eureka works, or have some knowledge of the zone that you learned from outside of the game, the only direction you are given is "kill things until you get a random drop." It is an issue that Eureka is very unfriendly to players who are new to it, especially since FFXIV normally goes out of its way to ease newer players through its casual content. This issue of being newbie-unfriendly is only going to get worse as time goes on, and fewer players bother with the grind.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tenik posted:

The quests are what the game does to give new players directions for how to proceed through the zone. Granted, they are bad directions and the community has found a better way to get the results that players want, but the directions still say to go get a group of players and kill monsters until you get a crystal drop.

Technically the directions are "go find a protean crystal!" with nothing else provided. :v:

Yes, yes, there are ways around it and you can read entire guides online that tell you where to go and what to do and you can completely ignore Eureka's own extremely obtuse guidance. That isn't saying anything positive about the zone or how it is put together, though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the real relics were the friends y'all definitely didn't make on the way

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

:wrong:

i had an off server person want to friend request me cause our group was quite pleasant. He never did though because I'm sure the system is convoluted on doing that :smith:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Stay tuned for the next step raising eureka to 40 and require 4 times the previous crystals.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Reiterpallasch posted:

I made several friends in the course of trying to get even one monster killed in this dumb island, but I too discovered the "Oh, if they're more than maybe one or two levels above you, you don't even get token XP from their efforts." I felt awful for that nice WHM, they were trying to help!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

ChaseSP posted:

Stay tuned for the next step raising eureka to 40 and require 4 times the previous crystals.

:smithicide:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ChaseSP posted:

Also a player 2 levels higher then you existing in the same instance will lock you out of xp and crystal drops.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Thumbtacks posted:

I’m starting to realize I’ll probably never get to do eureka, I only have like 1-2 hours a day to play and I’m usually prioritizing roulettes, so by the time I’m done with those I’ve got like 45 minutes, and eureka sounds like it’s gonna take fuckin forever if you didn’t already start the Zerg rush the second the son was released. Oh well, I guess.

:same:

I probably won't have the time for at least two months, if at all. I thought I'd wait until next patch and enter when the first step took a nerf if I can work out the time and the nerfs are fairly substantial. But since the levels sound to be character specific and not weapon specific, I guess nerfs won't help if the issue is level blending and a lack of low level players.

I guess on the upside, if SE listens to what the players are saying, there's a chance we could come out on top if we start late enough?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
"Just lol if you didn't poopsock your way to Elvl 20 in the first 12 hours of the patch being live." Yoship, probably.

Or more likely that other guy. The Diadem guy.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Shere posted:

You need one for the quest. Keeping up with the quest as a guideline is what the game has trained the entire playerbase to do.

right, but the guy who worked on that quest system had little or no say in Eureka, which is designed to behave like ff11 content and obtuse and not explain anything. even if you do the quests they just say "thanks for playing and picking up a rock, come back at the next level." there is literally no useful info to be had from them.

yes, it could've been explained better, but then it wouldn't be Eureka.

also, apologies thread. i got a little caremad over poo poo that doesn't matter because alt tabbing out of eureka and funneling my hate into posts instead of into komoto and other ff14 devs

Minera fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 20, 2018

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I think I preferred fate grinding for atmas to Eureka, at least that wasn’t boring and had options. And you could mount.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

AN IMPOSTOR EMERGES

Pfft, the first imposter wasn't a big deal, why is this one getting attention?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Tangents posted:

"Guess my ilevel is getting up there, might check out this rabanastre place"

On a side note I love that the raise mechanics mean I can just die over and over in the same fight, learning the mechanics one instant death at a time.

Moar like "Hashmal, Bringer of boners" :wink:

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
My impression of how the scions are handled is that when they were doing ARR they assumed everyone would have played 1.0 and that’s where they were introduced and did cool stuff so they didn’t feel the need to do anything to get you invested in them again and so they focused on the new kid. That’s just what I assume though because I never played 1.0 and it’s the only explanation I can come up with for how badly they were handled. I did see that one cutscene of all of them fighting Gaius and that was pretty cool, so maybe these guys were cool?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
when is 4.3

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Countblanc posted:

when is 4.3

2 months, plenty of time to brush up on eureka

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Countblanc posted:

when is 4.3

Late May, early June. We'll get the first live letter about it next month.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
How badly do I feel like resubbing for literally 30 minutes worth of content, a minion, and a housing item?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Gonna let my sub expire mid april to see how bad Net Neutrality Repeal messes up things before the patch

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Just wanna say, because I recall seeing someone say eureka was BIS, it’s totally just glamour. At best you might make the argument that it is equal to i360 gear if melded and I think you’d have to try pretty hard.

Everyone overestimates substats.

Eureka is optional at best - no one is going to run this poo poo for their raid or whatever.

Also most of the glamours are poo poo so meh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sarrisan posted:

Just wanna say, because I recall seeing someone say eureka was BIS, it’s totally just glamour. At best you might make the argument that it is equal to i360 gear if melded and I think you’d have to try pretty hard.

Everyone overestimates substats.

Eureka is optional at best - no one is going to run this poo poo for their raid or whatever.

Also most of the glamours are poo poo so meh.

The argument I've heard isn't that Eureka is BiS now but that the current relic upgrade tree is going to end up there and if you fall behind you can basically forget about getting it once Eureka Leven or whatever comes out and everyone moves on to that.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The argument I've heard isn't that Eureka is BiS now but that the current relic upgrade tree is going to end up there and if you fall behind you can basically forget about getting it once Eureka Leven or whatever comes out and everyone moves on to that.

I mean, maybe? But there is going to new raid gear and there is no particular reason to think they are going to make next eureka any different.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I'm only level 12 and I made a Nagi +2 and have 800 crystals left over. Crystals are a non-issue. Eureka has literally just turned into Northern Thanalan from 2.0. Everyone hangs out in one big blob and moves from one world event to the next. It doesn't matter if you die in this blob because there are 50 Red Mages on hand to raise you, so you never lose experience. You also don't have to do Eureka if you don't want to. Well, that's my take on it. Bye.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
In no way has Stormblood been a disappointment on all fronts. This has been a very good expansion with some great QoL changes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

In no way has Stormblood been a disappointment on all fronts. This has been a very good expansion with some great QoL changes.

There are things to complain about but every so often I get reminded of poo poo in HW which was so lovely that I forgot it used to be that well. Hell, the inventory size increases alone.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Being able to queue with your chocobro out and increased mount speed is fantastic, but I don't remember if the former was a 4.0 thing.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Being able to queue with your chocobro out and increased mount speed is fantastic, but I don't remember if the former was a 4.0 thing.

Mount speed was a 4.0 thing, queuing with your chocobo was in HW, roughly around 3.3/3.4? Either way that was a huge QoL improvement which made leveling so much easier.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

HenryEx posted:

I can't remember the last time i did Rabanastre and didn't wipe to at least one of the bosses. It's always at least one. Usually Hashmallim, if not then probably Mateus, sometimes it's the last one too and only very rarely the third.

Today, it was Mateus again.

How do you wipe to Mateus? :stare:

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Also people can complain about their place in raid all they want, red mage and samurai are fun as gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How do you wipe to Mateus? :stare:

Generally by not doing the mechanics and letting the adds screw up from what I've seen.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

SonicRulez posted:

The QoL stuff is great sure, but everything else? The story was a let down, all the marquee features have been a flop except shirogane I guess, and the 8 man raids have been really meh. We've got fewer dungeons to show for it and initially I was pretty bummed about that because most of the dungeons from 60-70 were pretty good but all of the post 4.0 dungeons have sucked. Hildibrandt is even more cut down than he was in HW. Rdm and Sam are kinda borked from a balance perspective, although both jobs completely rule to play so it's ok.

I am going to remind you that the two main features of Stormblood were Eureka and swimming. Swimming is meaningless and Eureka took half the expansion cycle to make it out the door and just lol at how that turned out.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Stormblood 8man raids and trials both have been the high points for me in the expansion, also SAM and RDM wasn't as much fun after some extended play with the jobs as they first seemed.
So to each their own I suppose!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I guess I just don't agree. While I really enjoy the lore of FFXIV, I don't have that same admiration for the plot in general. I really don't see Stormblood as a step down from Heavensward. I can say for certain that navigating the areas and doing plot in the SB areas was far superior to places like the Churning Mists or the Sea of Clouds. Raid and dungeon quality is really too subjective to even debate. I think Bardam's Mettle is one of the best they've ever done and I'd much rather play through Ala Mhigo than ARF. I'll take Omega over most of the Alexander fights. Hildibrand to be frank was a step down in HW anyway, so I'm willing to see how this Stormblood version works out before I judge it as worse.

I'm not going to throw Stormblood down over swimming, that's just silly.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The HW relic was only universally BIS for every job 6 months after the last raid tier was released. Prior to that it was always at least 5 ilvls behind the raid weapon so it was occasionally BIS for a job in weird edge cases where the raid weapon was loaded with horrible substats but usually not. It's possible they change things in SB but I wouldn't count on it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Stormblood Hildy hasn't won me over yet since it seems to be taking after HW Hildy Quests than ARR Hildy Quests, but I haven't written them off just yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I legitimately enjoy pretty much all the later dungeons more than the earlier ones. I would much rather do any SB dungeon than most of HW's and pretty much all of ARR's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Controversial opinion: FFXIV is good.