Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I don't think he was ever trying to legit fool people. I always saw it as him using technicalities to appear as a peacecraft instead of an Oz rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No machine gun for him, shoot him down!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I don't think Quattro did a very job at disguising himself either tbf

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Improbable Lobster posted:

I don't think Quattro did a very job at disguising himself either tbf

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Man, you're right.

He's not even pretending he's not Quattro.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

:thunk:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
My hands down favourite part of Zeta is Char claiming that he never betrayed anyone

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Char did nothing wrong.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

My hands down favourite part of Zeta is Char claiming that he never betrayed anyone

I agree with his mental gymnastics, no more complex than real-life poo poo anyway.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Does it count as betrayal if you only joined a group so that you can have an easier time killing them?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Does it count as betrayal if you only joined a group so that you can have an easier time killing them?

That counts double.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Sometimes the complex simplicity of Char's duplicity can only be summed up with "lol"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chumbler posted:

That counts double.

So, you're saying they cancel each other out, being equal like that.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Char Aznable is the only motherfucker cooler than Goro Majima of Yakuza fame. Char fucks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't like Char. He should be becoming the leader b is satisfied with being meve soldier I don't like his attitade of esc-
-aping from reality. So I don't want to be with him. I'm going to gather information T.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Char Aznable is the only motherfucker cooler than Goro Majima of Yakuza fame. Char fucks.

I got some bad news for you about exactly who he fucks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

I got some bad news for you about exactly who he fucks

:drat:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Char Aznable is involved in Zeon for the singular purpose of loving over the entire royal family that shitfucked him out of his destiny and the way he puts the knife to Garma Zabi is the poo poo of legend. Sure, he’s a real fucker, but his reasons for doing so make it all worth it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He's also had two underage girlfriends that we know of. One 17, one 14. (Lalah Sune and young Haman Karn respectively.)

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Char Aznable is involved in Zeon for the singular purpose of loving over the entire royal family that shitfucked him out of his destiny and the way he puts the knife to Garma Zabi is the poo poo of legend. Sure, he’s a real fucker, but his reasons for doing so make it all worth it.

This just reminded me, reading the MSG novels is a trip due to all the changes from the series but one of the most shocking changes is Char not betraying Garma at all.

Horrible Taste fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 19, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

So it's not like you're wrong or anything but, man Taintrunner, your first choice of words really softballed that one in there.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

Xarbala posted:

He's also had two underage girlfriends that we know of. One 17, one 14. (Lalah Sune and young Haman Karn respectively.)

McGillis really is Char 3.x, wtf...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ranzear posted:

McGillis really is Char 3.x, wtf...

I mean, that was kind of the point. The only real difference was that Char has a crippling terror of responsibility, while McGillis’s eyes were way bigger than his stomach.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erwGXgl5H_c

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

McGillis gets some slight moral high ground over Char in so far as he never was actually sexually into his child bride where Char clearly is all about the underage ladies as his type. McGillis just wanted the sweet sweet power of her name.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Raxivace posted:

I don't like Char. He should be becoming the leader b is satisfied with being meve soldier I don't like his attitade of esc-
-aping from reality. So I don't want to be with him. I'm going to gather information T.

the writing of a true, wise man, kai was the best white base man

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xarbala posted:

Haven't read it, but I thought CDA had the relationship with Haman be "Oh, that's cute, she's got a crush on me. I'll just tell my girlfriend this funny story... and Haman's murdering her to remove obstructions to our relationship. I should go."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zechs is I guess the only Char to be into someone his own age. Probably has about the same number of betrayals under his belt, though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Monaghan posted:

I get the quatro similarties, but it'd be like Quattro riding around in char's custom zaku. Just one step too far imo.

Zechs is already one step too far in my opinion. Before Wing, most Char type characters were fairly superficial in their aping of the guy and several shows didn't have a Char at all (ZZ is questionable, 0080, 0083, 08th MS Team and G had none) but Wing had Zechs be a straight up copy of Char in almost every facet while condensing his entire character arc in to one show. Zechs isn't one step too far, he's an entire tango too far.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

McGillis gets some slight moral high ground over Char in so far as he never was actually sexually into his child bride where Char clearly is all about the underage ladies as his type. McGillis just wanted the sweet sweet power of her name.

Lalah was only two years younger than Char, and was 17 years old. That's not quite the age of consent, but it's far from a loli and makes Char's relationship with her far from creepy given the proximity in age. Beyond that, there's really nothing suggesting he has an interest in young girls. Haman is definitely in to him in Zeta, but he clearly wants no part of her and it's never suggested their prior relationship is sexual, Char's Deleted Affair is a questionably canon manga at best and Char is very obviously using Quess in Char's Counterattack and even admits to Amuro he found her annoying at the end of the film.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 20, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Also, he gets on well with kids because he’s mentally eight years old and just wants a playmate. :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I truly love how It turns out his big plan was just to get in the Bael Gundam and go "I HAVE THE GUNDAM, OBEY ME!", only for the Seven Stars to just largely go "uh... No?...." because he was the only one that still thought it was important, like a small child would.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chumbler posted:

Zechs is I guess the only Char to be into someone his own age. Probably has about the same number of betrayals under his belt, though.

Not the same number of names though. Milliardo, Zechs, Preventer Wind, he's one short from Char's four (Casval, Edouard, Char, Quattro). And I'm pretty sure that still puts him second, most Chars have two names at best.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I truly love how It turns out his big plan was just to get in the Bael Gundam and go "I HAVE THE GUNDAM, OBEY ME!", only for the Seven Stars to just largely go "uh... No?...." because he was the only one that still thought it was important, like a small child would.

It's even better, I think, since

most of the seven stars treat it like an awkward social obligation, where they can't quite say they aren't interested, but they can kind of imply that there might be a dentist visit...

And then Rustal is just flat out "Listen, strange operating systems lyin' in ponds distributin' mobile suits is no basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"

It's not just McGillis being dumb, but him having this assumption, seeing that the rules officially support his assumption, and going forward with that rather than checking if it'd work in practice. It's just the right blend of reasonable and incredibly stupid.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

tsob posted:

Zechs is already one step too far in my opinion. Before Wing, most Char type characters were fairly superficial in their aping of the guy and several shows didn't have a Char at all (ZZ is questionable, 0080, 0083, 08th MS Team and G had none) but Wing had Zechs be a straight up copy of Char in almost every facet while condensing his entire character arc in to one show. Zechs isn't one step too far, he's an entire tango too far.

Gato is questionable; Schwarz is fairly obviously A CHAR.

Well, he's more of A QUATTRO, but still. Po-tay-toes, po-tah-toes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

bacon flaps posted:

I agree with his mental gymnastics, no more complex than real-life poo poo anyway.

Really, the biggest issue I have with most criticisms of Tominos writing is that the critics often vastly underestimate the capacity for insane stupidity and cognitive dissonance your average person has at the best of times, much less in the wake of literally the most destructive war in known history

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hellioning posted:

Gato is questionable; Schwarz is fairly obviously A CHAR.

Both of them are even more questionable than Glemy, who was at least a blonde rival with a red suit and a relationship with a newtype who the main character was also in some way related too, even if it wasn't sexual in this case. Gato is just a blonde rival. No mask, no red, no familial relationships, no newtypes. Nina connects them, but even that was unplanned at the start. Schwarz doesn't even have blonde hair, and isn't a rival so much as a mentor. He's got a mask and that's it. Master Asia and Wong are as much Chars as he is. Which is kind of the point.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
I'm currently lamenting the price of the Blu Rays. Does the Z Gundam Blu Ray have the original OP or the garbage that is the remastered one?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Has this interview with Tomino been posted before? I'm not sure I'd seen it before, and one bit really stood out to me.

quote:

Tomino says he’s motivated by considering ideas in a realistic context. Citing his recent series Gundam Reconguista in G, which revolves around a space elevator, Tomino says he was inspired by thinking about what the structure would mean for the world’s politics and global relations. He also claims Gundam Reconguista inspired him, when he saw who was buying the Blu-rays of the series in Japan. Tomino says that close to half the buyers were female, including teenagers who wouldn’t have been born when the original Gundam was broadcast – although startlingly, Tomino suggests most fans of the first Gundam were female too.

“It is the same phenomenon as the first Gundam, most fans are girls,” he claims. For Tomino, the presence of these female fans vindicates his approach to creating Gundam. In such ways, Tomino seems inclined to look beyond genre anime categories. He suggests that younger artists fail to appreciate mainstream entertainment forms, such as theatre and cinema. Tomino argues Gundam should succeed as popular entertainment, and says that’s why his successors, the people making newer Gundam anime, fall short.
We've talked before about 0079 having a large female fanbase, but I don't think I had ever heard that G-Reco seemed to appeal strongly to women as well.

Thoughts about this? I think its pretty interesting, especially considering those early posts here on SA when G-Reco was first airing and we had people debating whether the show was sexist or not.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not the same number of names though. Milliardo, Zechs, Preventer Wind, he's one short from Char's four (Casval, Edouard, Char, Quattro). And I'm pretty sure that still puts him second, most Chars have two names at best.

You missed Cyrene Wind, from Frozen Teardrop. Four after all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Has this interview with Tomino been posted before? I'm not sure I'd seen it before, and one bit really stood out to me.
We've talked before about 0079 having a large female fanbase, but I don't think I had ever heard that G-Reco seemed to appeal strongly to women as well.

Thoughts about this? I think its pretty interesting, especially considering those early posts here on SA when G-Reco was first airing and we had people debating whether the show was sexist or not.

Those people were all dumb as a sack of hammers. The show was really popular with women. People were selling already made gunpla to female fans who wanted character merchandise before real chara stuff was made but didn't care about spending the time to make robots, it was cool.