Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Have him look at welding or IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Melthir posted:

Have him look at welding or IT.

Welding is more up his alley. He had an opportunity to go that route at jobcorps but pissed it away on security guard school that he then dropped out of.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

He dropped out of security guard .... school?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Book rec: the 7 habits of highly effective people. If you pay attention and do what dude suggests you can unfuck your life and possibly the lives of people around you. IDK if it can work in the army/navy/marines but it's worth a try right?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
My book recommendation is On Killing by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Welding is more up his alley. He had an opportunity to go that route at jobcorps but pissed it away on security guard school that he then dropped out of.

The thin yellow line gets a little thinner 😢

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LingcodKilla posted:

He dropped out of security guard .... school?

Job corps had a “security professional” program that he was in following his GED classes. He dropped out because it was boring. He opted for that over electrician.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Job corps had a “security professional” program that he was in following his GED classes. He dropped out because it was boring. He opted for that over electrician.

:geno:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hmm rent a copy or nice union job rent a cop or nice union job hmm...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Can I pick meth dealer? Is that an option?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I don't think you want to do that
https://local.theonion.com/undercover-cop-never-knew-selling-drugs-was-such-hard-w-1819566772

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I met a dude 10 years who had just wrapped up AIT in the Army at age 40.

His story was that he was enlisted in the Air Force at 18 and got out as soon as possible, hating every minute. He went on to become a truck driver in civilian life, and discovered that was crappy in it's own way.
When his daughter turned 18, she was considering the National Guard to help pay for college. He came along with her to the recruiter as a prior service dude who knew the ropes (20 years ago). Chatting with the recruiter, he mentioned that he wished he had put in a full 20 with the Air Force, and that leaving was his biggest regret in life. The recruiter's eyes sparked and he told him he might be able to get him back in the Army.
He enlisted. He was now a truck driver in the army, working with kids half his age. No idea how he physically made it through boot camp. His wife had a couple of hand surgeries that they had put off for years because they didn't have good insurance. He joins his unit, and they're getting deployed to Iraq in ~6 months. But first, truck driver and his unit are going for 3 months to another state to learn how to run a prison. That's what they'd be doing in Iraq, operating a prison.

His daughter didn't end up joining the guard anyway :v:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

It's always an option. Just not an ideal trajectory.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

His story was that he was enlisted in the Air Force at 18 and got out as soon as possible, hating every minute. He went on to become a truck driver in civilian life, and discovered that was crappy in it's own way.
When his daughter turned 18, she was considering the National Guard to help pay for college. He came along with her to the recruiter as a prior service dude who knew the ropes (20 years ago). Chatting with the recruiter, he mentioned that he wished he had put in a full 20 with the Air Force, and that leaving was his biggest regret in life. The recruiter's eyes sparked and he told him he might be able to get him back in the Army.
He enlisted. He was now a truck driver in the army, working with kids half his age. No idea how he physically made it through boot camp. His wife had a couple of hand surgeries that they had put off for years because they didn't have good insurance. He joins his unit, and they're getting deployed to Iraq in ~6 months. But first, truck driver and his unit are going for 3 months to another state to learn how to run a prison. That's what they'd be doing in Iraq, operating a prison.

Ahahahhaahahahhahahahahahahaa

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

canyoneer posted:

Holy poo poo

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Being an old in boot ain’t so bad. It’s mostly mental and resisting strangling kids.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

LingcodKilla posted:

Being an old in boot ain’t so bad. It’s mostly mental and resisting strangling kids.

Not an old but going to OCS as prior enlisted was the same experience. It becomes an exercise in patience.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I enlisted at 28 and that was rough enough. drat stupid kids.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Edit this into the OP and close the thread

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

DaNerd posted:

Not an old but going to OCS as prior enlisted was the same experience. It becomes an exercise in patience.

The SEAL chief who was our class president had an insane monk-like level of patience for all the annoying younger guys in our class.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Inside he’s already killed you all 5 different ways with just office supplies.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Inside he’s already killed you all 5 different ways with just office supplies.

...while thinking about how he’s going to pitch this part while he’s shopping for book deals.

Alex433999
Aug 16, 2014
When I went through basic, there was an 0321 (recon) contract in my platoon. The kid in question was scared of water, could barely get a 3rd class pft, barely passed rifle qual, and was all around pretty lacking in common sense. Well, come BWT, we had the night attack range or whatever it was called, and it comes out that he has night blindness. Turns out he isn't even allowed to have a driver's license because of it. He managed to go from the bwt night attack course all the way over to the company currently doing the crucible, who were on the opposite side of page field, and got brought back by the other company's 1sgt and CO. It was pretty funny watching our DI's get chewed out by the whole chain of command for losing a recruit. The next day, we get back and he goes to the optometrist. Within ten minutes he walks out with a fraudulent enlistment charge. How he got through meps without anyone finding out about his night blindness, I have no idea. He was on the working party cleaning up the parade deck after we graduated, and stayed on the island for about a month after that.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I'm trying to remember the initial medical screening poo poo that we did to get kids in and I don't remember if night blindness was ever even a thing on it, though yeah I know its a category you can get on drivers licenses and poo poo

Alex433999
Aug 16, 2014
Must be a recent thing then, I remember there being a check box for it when I went through meps

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My mother-in-law has been pretending to have night blindness for about 30 years so that she can get drunk and make my father-in-law drive home whenever they go out for dinner.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Oh I'm not doubting your story or anything I just don't ever remember even thinking about it or it being a concern, but maybe the army just didnt care about it vs the usmc, and that just seems really weird to me

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I don't remember any test for that.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Just the color blindness and normal vision when I went through meps.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
I went through a compressed 30 day OCS for medical units right off the street. Which also happened to share a campus with the Senior NCO academy. I spent my time in a sleep deprived haze broken only by the death-hate glare I directed at the prior enlisted who were somehow able to spend every second out of class kicked back on balconies drinking beer and bullshitting.

Still, that short time taught me a lot about military education. I walked into my next course fully prepared. Fresh off a three day bender in Austin, so hung over I passed out two times during the test. I still made a 90% on a pass/fail exam.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

mods change my name posted:

I'm trying to remember the initial medical screening poo poo that we did to get kids in and I don't remember if night blindness was ever even a thing on it, though yeah I know its a category you can get on drivers licenses and poo poo

Don't you have to disclose medical conditions? I assume night blindness applies under that.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I suppose it would fall under the Anything else you want to tell us? Category

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I can't see poo poo at night, but MEPS didn't test for that back in 05, so I was good. Didn't realize it until I went overseas where streetlights were a luxury

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
03-05 meps didn't test for anything other than a heartbeat pretty much.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

DaNerd posted:

I've toyed with the idea of doing Navy OCS for the technical track (weapons/sensors), but dealing with all the bullshit and kids... No thanks.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

lightpole posted:

03-05 meps didn't test for anything other than a heartbeat pretty much.

only got worse with the surge

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

It took me 6 months and 6 trips to MEPS during the surge.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Soulex posted:

It took me 6 months and 6 trips to MEPS during the surge.

goddamn

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I have a hard time remembering anything that happened at MEPS other than sitting in a cold room on a bench wearing nothing but my underwear, surrounded by a bunch of stinky guys, and my feet/hands slowly starting to turn blue because it was so drat cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Went through MEPS again last May, they still don’t test for night-blindness.