Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I don't think anything John Oliver's book does will impact the sales of the original. I can't imagine a person was on the verge of buying Pence's then saw Oliver's and doesn't buy it. If anything the competition might push sales for both books which in turn should benefit some good charities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Eiba posted:

That's quite an assumption. I can't find anything that supports that. The BBC says "Proceeds of Pence's book will be donated to Tracy's Kids, an art therapy program, and A21, a charity which aims to end sex trafficking."

Oliver's book seems like a legitimately nice way to communicate a difficult issue to children, and Pence is a tremendous loathsome rear end in a top hat, but whenever John Oliver was talking about trying to outsell the other book mainly to piss off Mike Pence... I wasn't quite on board. Seems like the daughter would probably be more invested in the book than her father.

As a book it seems lovely, as an attack it seems poorly targeted.

Just in case this was lost on anyone, when we're talking about Pence's daughter, it's not a little girl whose mom and dad helped her write a book about a pet bunny, the woman is in her 20s.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also the original book is actually about Mike Pence, just written from the rabbit's POV.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Well ...

And even the 1-star reviews are... something else.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

IRQ posted:

Just in case this was lost on anyone, when we're talking about Pence's daughter, it's not a little girl whose mom and dad helped her write a book about a pet bunny, the woman is in her 20s.

Also, she's trading on Mike Pence's notoriety, which he gained in no small part by being a loathsome, homophobic rear end in a top hat, and it's not like his daughter has gone out of her way to repudiate his many odious positions -- she's certainly no Ron Reagan.

And there's the whole Focus on the Family tour stop, so gently caress her and anyone involved in that organization.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

PT6A posted:

Also, she's trading on Mike Pence's notoriety, which he gained in no small part by being a loathsome, homophobic rear end in a top hat, and it's not like his daughter has gone out of her way to repudiate his many odious positions -- she's certainly no Ron Reagan.

And there's the whole Focus on the Family tour stop, so gently caress her and anyone involved in that organization.
But I mean, to what end is she trading that notoriety? Some not-poo poo charities, to my knowledge, and probably some vanity. Who cares? I guess "not publicly making GBS threads on your father" is a crime that gets my blood boiling, no matter how lovely the father.

And they're trying to sell it to a bunch of homophobic assholes who'll probably buy it 'cause of Pence. But if the proceeds are going to not-poo poo charity, again, who cares?

Pence makes me mad. But this bunny book seems pretty innocuous, unless I'm missing something fundamental (Are the charities actually poo poo? Do only some of the proceeds get donated, and others go to fund Pence's family?) this seems like a really weird target.

I mean, besides using it as an excuse to make an adorable book about gay bunnies, which I will freely admit does not need all that much justification at all. The book is great, it's the spite that I'm raising my eyebrow at.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Anything that brings attention to how much of a piece of poo poo Pence is always good. If it doesn’t matter since both books are donating to charity then the more attention being brought to fuckface is all the more sweeter. I have much more confidence in Oliver that the money is actually going to charity regardless of what the daughter says.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's John on the Ellen show, including a physical challenge which he genuinely struggles to complete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW_UQL2gm7w

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
lmao at the end of that Ellen clip resetting everything to a baseline no matter how hard John tried, right down to which particular people got a book. Perfect

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Dumb Lowtax posted:

lmao at the end of that Ellen clip resetting everything to a baseline no matter how hard John tried, right down to which particular people got a book. Perfect

There's no way that wasn't going to happen, and it was still great.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

IRQ posted:

Also, on the topic of his daughters, I can't speak to Charlotte's political views, but his other daughter Audrey has on occasion been outspoken in her opposition to her father's conservatism. It's not like either of them are totally passive, apolitical children.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Truly John Oliver has crossed a line by bullying a... bunny rabbit? The adult child of the Vice President writing a children's book celebrating him? I'm very lost as to why I'm supposed to be upset or disappointed.

gently caress Mike Pence. gently caress cutesy children's books about Mike Pence. gently caress people who act like John Oliver's book is somehow an impediment to that book being sold and money going to its charities. This was about the least offensive and most pleasant way John Oliver has ever figured out how to troll someone terrible and we want to act like he crossed some line? I'm lost.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Charlotte seems pretty chill with it, yeah.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

quote:

“I mean, I think you know, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery in a way,” Charlotte said. “But also, in all seriousness, his book is contributing to charities that I think we can all get behind. We have two books giving to charities that are about bunnies so I’m all for it really.”

gently caress her. One of her stops on her book tour is a focus on the family bullshit rodeo. One of the charities Jon's book is giving to is in direct opposition to that organization. So gently caress her and her lip services, if she was sincere she would cancel that stop on the tour.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Truly John Oliver has crossed a line by bullying a... bunny rabbit? The adult child of the Vice President writing a children's book celebrating him? I'm very lost as to why I'm supposed to be upset or disappointed.

gently caress Mike Pence. gently caress cutesy children's books about Mike Pence. gently caress people who act like John Oliver's book is somehow an impediment to that book being sold and money going to its charities. This was about the least offensive and most pleasant way John Oliver has ever figured out how to troll someone terrible and we want to act like he crossed some line? I'm lost.
I mean, I think I might be the only one who said anything negative and "crossing the line" was not at all the tone of what I was getting at. The idea that anyone's suggesting we're all supposed to feel some way is a pretty over the top mischaracterization of the situation.

The book he created was indeed incredibly nice and good.

that article posted:

And while 100% of proceeds from Oliver’s book go to those charities, only an unspecified portion of the profits from the Pences’ book will go to less controversial non-profit organizations that focus on combating human trafficking and providing art therapy to children.
Yeah, this was one of the things I was wondering. That definitely makes the daughter's book less sympathetic, though the daughter herself seems okay.

Edit:

Knifegrab posted:

gently caress her. One of her stops on her book tour is a focus on the family bullshit rodeo. One of the charities Jon's book is giving to is in direct opposition to that organization. So gently caress her and her lip services, if she was sincere she would cancel that stop on the tour.
Why? Is money from horrible fucks tainted? Money is money, and charities are charities. If horrible fucks end up giving good charities money... that's good.

It's ickier that it also appears to be in part funding Pence's family and not all going to charity.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 20, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Her praising Oliver's charity seems like a bit of a 'gently caress you Dad'

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eiba posted:

I mean, I think I might be the only one who said anything negative and "crossing the line" was not at all the tone of what I was getting at. The idea that anyone's suggesting we're all supposed to feel some way is a pretty over the top mischaracterization of the situation.

The book he created was indeed incredibly nice and good.

I was mostly responding to the RWM response. That's my bad. I should have made that way less wild that it looked like I was attacking you. Sorry for that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
All this talk about how Pence's daughter must be an rear end in a top hat because he's an rear end in a top hat. Didn't the Reagans and Cheneys teach us anything?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I have no opinion of Pence's daughter, but between Meghan McCain and Ivanka, I'm pretty much done with the whole "White women who pay lip service to a few decent things while saying how much they love their horrible Republican dad, also nepotism" shtick.

I'll give the Second Daughter a pass for now, if this book tour is the only time she's in the public spotlight.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Craptacular! posted:

All this talk about how Pence's daughter must be an rear end in a top hat because he's an rear end in a top hat. Didn't the Reagans and Cheneys teach us anything?

Isn't McConnells daughter super liberal too?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Eiba posted:

Why? Is money from horrible fucks tainted? Money is money, and charities are charities. If horrible fucks end up giving good charities money... that's good.

It's ickier that it also appears to be in part funding Pence's family and not all going to charity.

Doing some good does not absolve someone from bad. If I come over to your house and murder your dog but then say "Hey btw I donated some money to a charity" is the dog murdering cool and good now?

Her book tour features a focus on the family stop. That is a hate organization. I don't give a poo poo how much she gives to charity she is using her platform to spread hate.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

That shouldn't be a surprise; the exposure is going to be a huge benefit for her book. Eagerly anticipating the flood of youtube videos of conservatives sitting on a pile of them to own the libs.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

It's pretty absurd that Pence has a pet rabbit named Marlon Bundo in the first place, seeing as Brando was pretty famously and defiantly bisexual. Marlon Brando would probably be one of the first people to tell that guy to gently caress himself.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Doing some good does not absolve someone from bad. If I come over to your house and murder your dog but then say "Hey btw I donated some money to a charity" is the dog murdering cool and good now?

Her book tour features a focus on the family stop. That is a hate organization. I don't give a poo poo how much she gives to charity she is using her platform to spread hate.
Is it really spreading hate though? Like, are people going to go to a Focus on the Family event because they're interested in this book and while they're there think "huh, these guys are okay, I'll hate gays a bit more/give them money when I otherwise wouldn't have."

There's going to be an event at that hate group, where a bunch of assholes with a boner for Pence will buy an innocuous kids book and incidentally contribute money to okay charities. There's a lot of poo poo involved in that exchange, but I don't know that I'd call it spreading hate.

Or is there more of a material benefit hosting something like that would bring Focus on the Family that I'm not considering? Legitimate question. I might be spouting off about something I don't fully understand. If this is somehow lucrative for Focus on the Family in a way I didn't understand then all the spite and such will make a lot more sense to me.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Eiba posted:

Is it really spreading hate though? Like, are people going to go to a Focus on the Family event because they're interested in this book and while they're there think "huh, these guys are okay, I'll hate gays a bit more/give them money when I otherwise wouldn't have."

There's going to be an event at that hate group, where a bunch of assholes with a boner for Pence will buy an innocuous kids book and incidentally contribute money to okay charities. There's a lot of poo poo involved in that exchange, but I don't know that I'd call it spreading hate.

Or is there more of a material benefit hosting something like that would bring Focus on the Family that I'm not considering? Legitimate question. I might be spouting off about something I don't fully understand. If this is somehow lucrative for Focus on the Family in a way I didn't understand then all the spite and such will make a lot more sense to me.

By this logic, white supremacist rallies would be cool and good if the tiki torch sales went to a cancer foundation.

Spoiler alert: you are a moron

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Craptacular! posted:

When I googled to find out how old she was I found another piece about what a huge victim she is for believing in god. So I'm going to guess if she's going to find leftism she hasn't yet (but she's not that old to be fair).

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

By this logic, white supremacist rallies would be cool and good if the tiki torch sales went to a cancer foundation.

Spoiler alert: you are a moron
If a bunch of white supremacists bought a bunch of tiki torches, and then the tiki torch emporium decided to give all their procedes to charity... that would be an okay move on the part of the tiki torch emporium. The white supremacist would remain poo poo, with no change in their moral status.

Hosting this book event in no way makes Focus on the Family not poo poo. But using Focus on the Family to sell your book for charity doesn't seem like "spreading hate" unless there's something I'm missing, which is totally possible.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It would be nice to know how much of the profits from the book is really going to charity. Most of the time I hear stuff like that I assume it’s going to “administration” expenses for a charity they are tangentially affiliated with.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

If the options were between "Include Focus on the Family in the book tour and support a charity" and "Include a non-toxic family organization in the book tour, but don't support any charities" then that would have been an interesting moral dilemma to consider, but since the two decisions were completely independent of each other I think it's fine to bash them for legitimizing a hate group, regardless of what they did with the profits.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 20, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Eiba posted:

Eiba posted:

Hosting this book event in no way makes Focus on the Family not poo poo. But using Focus on the Family to sell your book for charity doesn't seem like "spreading hate" unless there's something I'm missing, which is totally possible.

What sort of nonsense is this? No, hate groups are still bad and you shouldn't deal with them even if they occasionally do a good thing. If a bunch of Nazis were cleaning garbage from the side of the highway, it doesn't mean they don't deserve to be run down by passing cars.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Focus on the Family contributes to the hatespeech and demonization that causes homosexual teens to kill themselves, is that really worth stomaching to play nice and put aside our differences to you?

To put this another way, what if, instead of Focus of the Family, it was the Westboro Baptist Church and all their charity money was going to help build a skill in Africa. Is that a good cause? SURE! Are the people hosting that cause a pile of hateful assholes that make the world a worse place?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Eiba posted:

But I mean, to what end is she trading that notoriety?

The words "Vice President" are in the title of the book. The book is celebrating/cutefying Pence and the work he does as VP.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think it's unlikely that Charlotte Pence had total control over what happened with the book and it's entirely possible that the money might be going to the same lovely charities that they're visiting on the tour were it not for her.

She seems outwardly cool with it when she could have a more Sarah Huckabee Sanders or Rhona Romney McDaniel outlook. It could be one of those things where she's doing the best she can to make thing less lovely with the limited power afforded to the daughter of the Vice President. Doing an event at Focus on the Family is lovely but it was probably something that was never up for discussion given Pence's long history with the organization. It would probably be worth holding her breath during the visit if it meant that she could have some input on where the money went.

Or she could just have better media skills than 95% of conservatives by realizing that the 5 seconds of joy one gets doing something out of spite are not worth the hit to your image that you get from needlessly bashing something that is gonna result in money going to charity. If she's conservative there's really no actual gain to coming out and saying "gently caress John Oliver and his dumb gay book" if you're in the middle of selling a benign children's book to people who might not be the typical Trumper. It's better to say "well it's going to charity so that's good" and ignoring it and having all the centrist/mild-right moms buy your book instead of being put off like they might be if they went full Trump.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

DC Murderverse posted:

I think it's unlikely that Charlotte Pence had total control over what happened with the book and it's entirely possible that the money might be going to the same lovely charities that they're visiting on the tour were it not for her.

She seems outwardly cool with it when she could have a more Sarah Huckabee Sanders or Rhona Romney McDaniel outlook. It could be one of those things where she's doing the best she can to make thing less lovely with the limited power afforded to the daughter of the Vice President. Doing an event at Focus on the Family is lovely but it was probably something that was never up for discussion given Pence's long history with the organization. It would probably be worth holding her breath during the visit if it meant that she could have some input on where the money went.

Or she could just have better media skills than 95% of conservatives by realizing that the 5 seconds of joy one gets doing something out of spite are not worth the hit to your image that you get from needlessly bashing something that is gonna result in money going to charity. If she's conservative there's really no actual gain to coming out and saying "gently caress John Oliver and his dumb gay book" if you're in the middle of selling a benign children's book to people who might not be the typical Trumper. It's better to say "well it's going to charity so that's good" and ignoring it and having all the centrist/mild-right moms buy your book instead of being put off like they might be if they went full Trump.

So she has no agency, then she does have agency, then she doesn’t, then John Olivers a bully for picking on the VP’s daughters bunny book ‘needlessly’ when you argue two paragraphs before that he’s definitely using it for political gain?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Marlon Bundo is a pretty good name for a rabbit, regardless of the source

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Servaetes posted:

the bottom line here folks

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Anything that brings attention to how much of a piece of poo poo Pence is always good. If it doesn’t matter since both books are donating to charity then the more attention being brought to fuckface is all the more sweeter. I have much more confidence in Oliver that the money is actually going to charity regardless of what the daughter says buying the leather thong that Russel Crowe used in the Cinderella Man movie.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I just appreciate that sometimes the big-budget silliness goes to a nice book and helping a charity. And sometimes a remote control volcano.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Servaetes posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

Yeah, gently caress this stupid evil lady and her amusement at being parodied. If she doesn't placate me, some doofus on the internet, by adhereing to my 12 step system to completely redeeming herself in my eyes, she can just loving die!

focus on the family sucks but she's selling a book to her target audience. you need to get over yourself and get over this.

• Locked thread