Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

but why mongo, not postgres or some poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

MononcQc posted:

message queues will not improve reliability of communication with other services, just make failures more obscure :smuggo:

we've had this conversation before and you're not wrong but backpressure is real and not something you can always throw more api servers at

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Sagacity posted:

want to use message queues to reliably communicate with other (micro)services?

well you're already hosed then

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

tef posted:

well you're already hosed then

i am living this hell

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
he’ll yeah queuechat

Blinkz0rz posted:

we've had this conversation before and you're not wrong but backpressure is real and not something you can always throw more api servers at

what do you mean? backpressure is reducing the rate of production on the producer side and if you have it, you shouldn’t need a queue, yeah?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the closest i ever got to proper message queue infrastructure was working with tibco rendevouz, and that was simultaneously crude and awesome. awesome since the tooling was neat and you could just to listen in on flows of fairly structured data and figure out what was what, often as a result snapping existing infrastructure together into new systems in a pretty ad-hoc but understandable manner. the main advantage, however, was that it was loosely coupled enough that it was a sys/network admin task, so all routing, provisioning, monitoring, setting up repeaters and replay nodes, and a lot more such stuff was the work of the same people who configured switches and ran cables, which was a hugely valuable separation of concerns (mostly let us be idiots in peace, throwing data on made-up topics out into the swirling whirlpool)

i am rather unsure whether that was just one of those rare encounters with competence rather than a lesson about how to build things however

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
We're currently switching a synchronous rest api to instead communicate asynchronously over kafka and it's seeming fine so far.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Blinkz0rz posted:

a queue is the exact opposite of backpressure

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

We're currently switching a synchronous rest api to instead communicate asynchronously over kafka and it's seeming fine so far.

you’re hosed

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

you’re eventually consistently hosed

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

you’re hosed

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

gonadic io posted:

let me know how the rest of 'reimplementing a database' goes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

then we migrated all of our enterprise oracle database data onto it.

what the christ

why would you even think of this

whyyyyyyyyyy

I mean migrating away from Oracle: not unexpected

migrating to mongodb: what the gently caress

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

what the christ

whyyyyyyyyyy

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
queues aren't about handling failure they're about hiding failures

which means that neither end of a queue has any idea if the other side is working

also 'rest api' / 'restful api' has no real meaning and tbh never really did

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if you replace "we will use a queue" with "we will use a shared buffer" then you may end up with less dangerous usage patterns out of not trusting a buffer all that much compared to the way people tend to trust an ~enterprise bus~ to do all the things

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

if message queues are bad what should you be doing instead

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
not using message queues. theres no problem they solve that isn't better solved by a database or a cache

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

— what do you mean you just took all of the data from all of the servers and you send it onto one single buffer?
— well we wanted things to be easy to do so we thought that if we put all of it on one computer in one big memory space it would be nicer, all we need is for everyone to contact it all the time
— what do you do when the buffer is full?
— well technically we ought to return an error code or something but so far our plan is to monitor the buffer carefully and increase memory
— okay and what do you do when that buffer is full on the biggest computer we can afford?
— well we thought maybe we could either add buffers and then the client just needs to pick the one that works
— okay and if that one is down or unavailable what happens?
— ah well there, the client just needs to store things in their own local buffer, and send it to the big buffers only when they're ready
— ... and so what would be the problem with removing the big shared buffers, and just keeping the client buffers anyway while preserving that retry logic on the client in the first place?
— well the architecture diagrams get too many arrows on them

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

eschaton posted:

what the christ

whyyyyyyyyyy

i dunno, i wasn’t directly involved. terrible decisions all around

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
lol if you microservice in any way

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

we're looking at grafting an event system into our dumpster fire codebase, initially (and probably primarily) to support notifying external parties of stuff happening via webhooks

our initial plan is to chuck events into a queue and let the webhook system pick them up from there. is a queue the wrong tool for this job?

if it makes a difference, it's 99.9% going to be implemented using CREATE TABLE Queue in our existing db

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shaggar posted:

not using message queues. theres no problem they solve that isn't better solved by a database or a cache

Shaggar promoting Oracle Advanced Queue :lol:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a queue in a db table is fine unless you don't care if the events get there in which case sticking in some in memory store to be handled best effort is ok.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MrMoo posted:

Shaggar promoting Oracle Advanced Queue :lol:

no. don't use anything w/ queue in the name

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

redleader posted:

we're looking at grafting an event system into our dumpster fire codebase, initially (and probably primarily) to support notifying external parties of stuff happening via webhooks

our initial plan is to chuck events into a queue and let the webhook system pick them up from there. is a queue the wrong tool for this job?

if it makes a difference, it's 99.9% going to be implemented using CREATE TABLE Queue in our existing db

which db

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
mongodb

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
the insane 2d graphics proposal for c++ finally got presented to the wider committee at the most recent meeting and got dumpstered on:

quote:

Even though further work on this proposal was for six revisions, the room was quite brutal this time, and attempted to shut it down completely. Everyone said something along the lines of my quote above to justify the opposition, and experts from NVIDIA also expressed strong disagreement with the paper.

The room agreed that this was a failure for LEWG: not for the contents of the proposal, but for the fact that it wasn't stopped early, wasting a lot of time for both the working group and the authors. Saying "no" is sometimes hard, but it would have prevented this situation if it had been done a while ago.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
queue queue more

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

tef posted:

which db

shaggar-approved Microsoft (r) SQL Server (tm)

Shaggar posted:

no. don't use anything w/ queue in the name

Shaggar posted:

a queue in a db table is fine unless you don't care if the events get there in which case sticking in some in memory store to be handled best effort is ok.

ok, now i'm confused. what's the difference between a queue using a db table and a queue using dedicated software? some of the fundamental issues (e.g. unbounded queue lengths) would be the same between the two, no?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Ploft-shell crab posted:

he’ll yeah queuechat

what do you mean? backpressure is reducing the rate of production on the producer side and if you have it, you shouldn’t need a queue, yeah?

i mean i used the wrong terminology. i meant the issue where the data hose has been turned up to 11

case in point, the s3 outage today caused a bunch of backup from one of our services that lives in customer environments. they recovered when the outage ended but started spewing their data into the cloud as fast as possible. if it weren't for queues we wouldn't be able to keep up with transmission speed and data would have been lost. having a queue means we can scale consumers independently, keep messages on the queue and provide backpressure (term used correctly?)

obviously it's a bandaid for a better data transmission system that respects transfer limits and doesn't murder downstream services but it sure beats the world burning down whenever there's an outage

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

redleader posted:

ok, now i'm confused. what's the difference between a queue using a db table and a queue using dedicated software? some of the fundamental issues (e.g. unbounded queue lengths) would be the same between the two, no?

the problem with using a db table as a queue is that you end up with lock contention between multiple consumers. one consumer does a select for update, locking the row it's working on. another consumer tries to dequeue something before the first one commits, finds a locked row, and sits around blocked. so you don't really get any concurrency out of the thing. the solution is to use "select for update skip locked" which does exactly what you want, and now your db table makes a fine queue, and you didn't even have to introduce another piece of infrastructure to maintain

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
backpressure is when overload of the receiving end pushes back on the sending end, slowing it down and equalizing the system (like if a server is at capacity, client requests take longer, reducing the potential load). a queue does the opposite of that - no information about load can flow back from consumer to producer, so your producers are happily able to vomit data at an uncontrollable speed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DELETE CASCADE posted:

didn't even have to introduce another piece of infrastructure to maintain

but is this the reason people are complaining about queue's here?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

redleader posted:

skip locked is your friend

quote:

depending on the api you stick infront of it, nothing

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Asymmetrikon posted:

backpressure is when overload of the receiving end pushes back on the sending end, slowing it down and equalizing the system (like if a server is at capacity, client requests take longer, reducing the potential load). a queue does the opposite of that - no information about load can flow back from consumer to producer, so your producers are happily able to vomit data at an uncontrollable speed.

yeah i used the wrong term :|

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the issue is more about how error states are handled. purpose built message queues come with a ton of their own internal problems because they typically aren't just message queues, their some form of application bus. you end up putting application logic into the queue and you get this application/persistence hybrid system that sucks at both. when errors occur you have to figure out where in the pipe they're occurring. did a message get hosed up? is the queue distribution logic wrong? why isn't this endpoint available? who set this endpoint to retry forever?

the best case scenario with a message queue is you don't use any of its features beyond basic message delivery and at that point its just a database of messages. a database that's probably not as good at being a database as sql server.

let your db server hand db stuff and let your application handle application stuff.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

but is this the reason people are complaining about queue's here?

its one reason. none of them are very good and they're a pain to maintain. sql server will do everything you should do in a message queue but better with no added headache of new maintenance overhead. adding 100 sql servers is 100000x easier than adding 1 message queue service

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

adding 100 sql servers is 100000x easier than adding 1 message queue service

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

this thread gets shaggared again!