Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I mean...Brayflox normal isn't much more sensical

Nothing in the Titan lead-in makes a lot of sense, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Cythereal posted:

Nothing in the Titan lead-in makes a lot of sense, honestly.

Y'Shtola going "well this is gonna be really stupid" and peaceing the gently caress out for the entire arc makes perfect sense.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ainsley McTree posted:

I mean...Brayflox normal isn't much more sensical

What doesn't make sense about fighting to disseminate delicious cheese recipes to the masses against the wishes of the Illuminati? :colbert:

Meiteron posted:

Y'Shtola going "well this is gonna be really stupid" and peaceing the gently caress out for the entire arc makes perfect sense.

And that is one of many reasons why she is the best Scion by far.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Mordiceius posted:

Guys.... I'm slowly starting to come around on Eureka....

It's spreading.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Mordiceius posted:

Guys.... I'm slowly starting to come around on Eureka....

It is a well established fact, core to the design of all modern MMOs and indeed much of modern gameplay in general, that the brain can deceive itself into believing the sense of satisfaction of a slowly filled progress bar is actually the emotion of Fun.

It isn't, but your brain doesn't know that, and so you think it's fun. Happens to us all. Happening to me too!

I suppose I'd be more worried about this but jeez guys I'm only 30k tnl to relic level and do you see how many crystals I've farmed

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
The high point of Eureka is when I play monster hunter on my ps4 between nm's.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Once you get above level 10 and stop being a liability for 75% of the zone then things start to feel like they did in the FATE trains of old.

Which isn't exactly a high bar of praise, considering you're now eligible for deleveling on top of experience loss and it takes 7-10 hours of ingame time to get there in the first place.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

The only reason I'm stepping foot in Eureka is because if I don't, the BLM gear will end up BiS or look hella cool a few zones down the line and it'll be impossible to catch up.

It's every game design mechanic I hate about MMOs rolled into one garbage instance.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Once you get above level 10 and stop being a liability for 75% of the zone then things start to feel like they did in the FATE trains of old.
Speaking from personal experience, yeah, this is absolutely the case. You're not getting one-shot anymore by most of the monsters and bosses and you can finally start getting actual rewards from most of the NMs in the zone. I'm glad to have hit 11 tonight, but all it's really done is confirm my annoyance about how hosed the level scaling is, and how much better it could have been if there wasn't a huge loving wall at the front of the content.

I mean there's some other issues with it too, but that's the one that seems to be the source of most of the rest, and it's the one that'll lead to it being deserted in a month.

I am hella PEEVED posted:

The only reason I'm stepping foot in Eureka is because if I don't, the BLM gear will end up BiS or look hella cool a few zones down the line and it'll be impossible to catch up.

It's every game design mechanic I hate about MMOs rolled into one garbage instance.
:same:

It's really a horrible and frustrating feeling, but having played MMOs for years and years I know exactly how it'll go if I don't knuckle down and waste a few days grinding here.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Yeah. I am almost level 12 and all of my frustrations are slipping away. Don’t give me wrong, Eureka is still bad. But I don’t completely hate it anymore.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. I am almost level 12 and all of my frustrations are slipping away. Don’t give me wrong, Eureka is still bad. But I don’t completely hate it anymore.

Eureka gets infinitely faster and easier the higher level you get. It's just the upfront cost/effort is so loving tedious and awful it's mind boggling it was designed in such a way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Eureka gets infinitely faster and easier the higher level you get. It's just the upfront cost/effort is so loving tedious and awful it's mind boggling it was designed in such a way.
I imagine the idea is to build in a sense of achievement and real triumph so that making it to level 2, level 3, will feel like you really accomplished something!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nessus posted:

I imagine the idea is to build in a sense of achievement and real triumph so that making it to level 2, level 3, will feel like you really accomplished something!

But progress becomes actively easier and gives you straight up more chances for rewards and less of a chance to instantly die as you level. It's an steep curve that kind of mellows out as you go

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

https://www.strawpoll.me/15322862/r

You seem correct.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
How actually do you progress at low levels? I went in at level 3, the NM train happened to go to a lowbie NM, and I got loving half a level all at once, which was fantastic, but then it was just a series of high level areas where aoes one-shot me constantly and I got 1-2k exp at MOST from the NMs. It feels like the 5-10 stretch is nearly impossible.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

How actually do you progress at low levels? I went in at level 3, the NM train happened to go to a lowbie NM, and I got loving half a level all at once, which was fantastic, but then it was just a series of high level areas where aoes one-shot me constantly and I got 1-2k exp at MOST from the NMs. It feels like the 5-10 stretch is nearly impossible.

The amount of XP you get is gated by your level. At level 11, I'm pulling in about 10-12k xp for monsters of my level or higher (for monsters below my level, I pull in that monster's max - such as Sabotender is 2.5k).

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You just do fates and die a bunch. That is what I did.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I wonder if Eureka would have been better if it was broken up a little into sections. Like "Here is the level 1-5 quadrant. Here is the 6-10 quadrant. Here is the 11-15 quadrant. Here is the 16-20 quadrant."

You could still have a little bit of danger but you would be relatively safe if you stayed within your quadrant. And it'd be easier to group within your level range. When I think of "classic WoW," I don't think of level 60 monsters standing right next to level 5 monsters.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

And I rage quit for the night after failing a quest half a dozen times. Quest to sneak through the city using smoke bomb things.

Oh, the quest to avoid the Sekiseigumi? I think you have to go to the upper left of where you start. That's what I remember, anyway.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Low level trip report from hellgrind:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I finally got Holy! :worship:

I did Brayflox's Longstop on my WHM and I ran into MP problems especially with the final boss. I've deal some DPS but mostly focus on topping the tank up as they take quite a few hits. Is this normal or am I not playing right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

I did Brayflox's Longstop on my WHM and I ran into MP problems especially with the final boss. I've deal some DPS but mostly focus on topping the tank up as they take quite a few hits. Is this normal or am I not playing right?

Basically as a healer and a WHM in particular you're going to want to learn how to deal the absolute bare minimum healing possible. As you progress you'll unlock skills that make that easier. At level 70 you have multiple tools which are instant cast and allow you to keep someone healed basically without breaking DPS. You want to focus on figuring out what the absolute minimum healing you can do is because your goal is to be DPSing as often as possible.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
The Eureka Experience

As for my opinions on Eureka, I have no problem doing huge grinds as I prefer to kick back and take my time, so the progression isn't too much of an issue to me. The jump in story gating from Lv5 to Lv13 was definitely absurd and I hope they don't pull that again, but it seems to be a filter for "will you actually commit to content or not", and because I'm a grind-monster I wasn't dissuaded.

If there's anything that sticks in my craw about Eureka, it's the reward system: it wasn't fun when Palace of the Dead's lockboxes filled our inventories with a mass of unusable crap, so reusing it for Eureka feels like it's in poor taste. The worst part is that there's no option to mass-open lockboxes; I'd rather have 999+ lockboxes sitting idle in my inventory than crack them open one by one, especially since I've gotten nearly everything I want out of them already. The relics on the other hand are incredibly easy and pretty much only require you to grind to Lv20, as by the time you've reached it (and have the patience to trade in the mountains of Anemos Crystals, again one by one which makes even less sense than the lockboxes) you'll have enough of everything for a maxed weapon and all of the gear for one class.

All in all Eureka has the potential to be a cool thing, but the devs haven't quite figured out what they're doing with it yet. I'm definitely seeing the comparisons to FFXI, but unlike the people with nostalgia goggles I don't think that's a good thing, because they're trying too hard to emulate something that was in itself flawed. Challenge and tedium are two very different things.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 21, 2018

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

:eyepop:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

:prepop:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Schneider Heim posted:

Use Lucid Dreaming whenever it's off cooldown in fights. It can be easy to run out of mana in early content, especially if you're spamming heal spells, but don't worry too much about it. Just practice healing when it's actually necessary, and dps whenever you're not healing.

WHM also gets regen which is basically like a cure 2 and a half. Prioritize keeping that running over casting cure unless they need health asap.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Basically as a healer and a WHM in particular you're going to want to learn how to deal the absolute bare minimum healing possible. As you progress you'll unlock skills that make that easier. At level 70 you have multiple tools which are instant cast and allow you to keep someone healed basically without breaking DPS. You want to focus on figuring out what the absolute minimum healing you can do is because your goal is to be DPSing as often as possible.

And to be clear this can be difficult at times esp with all the ilevel fluctuations you run into when doing LDR so don't feel bad if you mess it up occasionally.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
I'm not hating eureka as much anymore but that's not because it's good (it's not) it's because it mostly consists of me running around a map chatting in /shout with 50 people, zerging fates, watching movies on my other monitor and drinking.

Honestly I think it's not as horrible now as it was at launch because it's figured out. It's still a hellgrind and it's still not that interesting and it still can't give you actual game progress and it's still wrongheaded in terms of game design but now that people know what to do, I hate it a lot less. I could go on about what they could have done (a LOT of other stuff would have been better, obviously) but I don't think its "quit the game" bad the way it felt at launch.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Also, don’t forget that Holy is one of your best healing spells.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks all. I didn't know Lucid Dreaming helps with MP management. I hope to get matched in a dungeon that allows me to use Holy soon.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Schneider Heim posted:

Thanks all. I didn't know Lucid Dreaming helps with MP management. I hope to get matched in a dungeon that allows me to use Holy soon.

Lucid Dreaming's tooltip is probably the worst one in the game. The MP refresh is what you're using it for 99% of the time, at least on healers! Also it was mentioned above, but try to keep Regen running on the tank in combat, it'll do a lot of the heavy lifting for you. Don't precast it before pulls though, it makes you get aggro immediately and drives tanks mad.

Anyways this post is mostly an excuse to post my character's cool big (Roegadyn) sister.

surprisingly empty for the Balmung Quicksand.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:vince:

shas
Jul 27, 2011

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Eureka

halfway through 18. almost there. just a bit more.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

You could still have a little bit of danger but you would be relatively safe if you stayed within your quadrant. And it'd be easier to group within your level range. When I think of "classic WoW," I don't think of level 60 monsters standing right next to level 5 monsters.

That's not "classic WoW", but it is very much "classic EQ" and "classic FFXI". By sheer coincidence, one of those games is far more successful than the others.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

shas posted:

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Eureka

halfway through 18. almost there. just a bit more.

We have always been at war with Ala Migho Garlemald.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Partied with an elemental level 11 dude riding his mount around in Eureka.

Yup.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I need the Scorpion Harness. Sadly I can only spare an hour or so a day during the week. Only Elemental Level 6.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
So when exactly do you earn the right to mount up in Eureka?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solitair posted:

So when exactly do you earn the right to mount up in Eureka?

Finish the story there. (Reach level 17, you need 99 Amenos Crystals.)

Martman posted:

Partied with an elemental level 11 dude riding his mount around in Eureka.

Yup.

That is a hell of a lot of lost EXP.