Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

level 1 zombies barely have any effect on a level 10 hero

Holy Plot Armor of Gimple +3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Johnny Truant posted:

It reminds me of the book Lucifer's Hammer, where this smart dude hides a bunch of really important books in his septic tanks

But those books are like "how to make insulin", and "how to culture penicillin properly", not "dig a hole to poop in so you don't get sick" and other great tidbits of knowledge from the 1600s

I'll have you know that kick-rear end Medieval Living booklet also contained such illuminating ideas as "water flows downhill", so it's not all useless information.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

They have a COPY SHOP!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The first time I watched I thought she said Coffee Shop and I was super confused since Jadis is already in the show

lol what if Jadis and NewLady know each other already

I give four boxes of old alternators and lawn chairs, she give box of smashed apples and plans for a solar array

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
God drat, Rick was such loving moron through that whole thing that it's become unbelievable he's even survived this far into an apocalypse.

I hope Negan kills the fucker and then becomes the hero.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tortuga posted:

God drat, Rick was such loving moron through that whole thing that it's become unbelievable he's even survived this far into an apocalypse.

I hope Negan kills the fucker and then becomes the hero.

I want Simon to kill the Hilltop, kill Negan, kill Rick and this to become the Simon Show.

Seriously he's the best character.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Alright, so...since the show has clearly deteriorated in quality recently...I've got a question.

What happened? Like, for those who have stuck around for a long time...where did the turning point come? People analyze the Simpsons, trying to analyze when it "jumped the shark", or started to deteriorate...so what about with Walking Dead? What went wrong, and why? Which hiring decision ended up biting them in the butt?

That, and more, would legit interest me.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Fionordequester posted:

Alright, so...since the show has clearly deteriorated in quality recently...I've got a question.

What happened? Like, for those who have stuck around for a long time...where did the turning point come? People analyze the Simpsons, trying to analyze when it "jumped the shark", or started to deteriorate...so what about with Walking Dead? What went wrong, and why? Which hiring decision ended up biting them in the butt?

Season 3 was where it was still kind of ok, but the quality and thought behind the show was clearly half-assed. This show collapsed very, very quickly.

I think it's because the show became super popular, and that's when smaller networks go berserk and have webisodes, and mobile games, and Chris Hardwicks; so the writers think that the world they created is invincible and does not need maintenance.

I don't remember when the show became just walking through the woods and pondering 6th grade philosophy.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 21, 2018

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
the show's never had consistent quality, and my interest kept deteriorating with the death of most of the good characters that are likable. but i still think finding and settling in Alexandria was the beginning of the end. the series should have stopped with finding a real entrenched haven from zombie anarchy and rick giving up his authority. the very boring story of dirty warring city-states but also there are zombies would have been a challenge for anyone to write. negan and the saviors aren't interesting villains, the first half of season 6 with the bandits was fluff.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Princeps32 posted:

the very boring story of dirty warring city-states but also there are zombies would have been a challenge for anyone to write.

Game Of Thrones is pretty much this and shows that even if the writing gets poo poo you can keep people interested through actually putting some effort into the production of the show.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Yeah, dude. Warring city-states is not a naturally boring premise.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
edit: the point i guess i wasn't clearly making isn't that the idea of warring communities is boring, it's that alexandria, hilltop, the kingdom, and the saviors are not interesting factions.

Senor Tron posted:

Game Of Thrones is pretty much this and shows that even if the writing gets poo poo you can keep people interested through actually putting some effort into the production of the show.

true but there's a bit more still going on there. they still have big moments that stick with you beyond being just technically impressive, and they largely knew when to stop killing off heroes so you could spend some time getting attached to the survivors. also the show is clearly heading towards a resolution

8 seasons into walking dead and the stakes are "random strangers you don't really care about shoot each other while rick's stupid plans continuously poo poo the bed, afterwards i guess maybe they'll farm until some other big group starts to hate them."

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 21, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

Well... Season 7 of GoT is a really bad show with AAA-movie level production value, and GoT has been declining since the beginning of season 5, which notably is where the showrunners needed to start writing their own material.

Frankly since season 2, Walking Dead has been a soap opera where they advance the plot as little as possible and the main draw is a character getting written out, not a character doing a thing. It's a zombie apocalypse where pretty much the entirety of what they're missing are showers. There's infinite bullets, gasoline, and people.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Fionordequester posted:

Hindsight being 20/20, the moment it "jumped the shark" was when they got captured by the cannibals and Rick or Daryl was like "they messed with the wrong people..." It was cool at the time, but it was the beginning of the end because after that, no matter how absurd the situation, a dumpster could fall out of the sky to save you or magic guns would appear...it was a slow slide, but that is definitely where it started.

Besides the lackluster storytelling, everything about the show is just lazy: the cinematography is amateurish (if I'm being generous), the sfx have gone down hill, even the makeup/character team is struggling to come up with interesting zombies these days.

Then we can rattle off just as many points about the storytelling: endlessly recycled plots, absurdly flat characters, zero consistency of continuity...it goes on. :smith:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Is anyone else convinced Simon (the best character)is slated to die in the penultimate episode and that Alden guy is gonna Jin the main cast?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fionordequester posted:

i stopped really caring about the show back in I think season 4 but still watched it because i had a bunch of coworkers who loved it so :shrug: whatever it was an hour a week for a couple months and sometimes there was cool stuff that happened. The Glenn dumpster midseason fakeout thing was what really pissed me off personally. Both because it was obvious that he wasn't going to die by the way they shot it and the cheap emotional play they tried to pull. Then at the end of the season they left Lucille's victims up in limbo, presumably as leverage in contract negotiations.

The past few seasons, in addition, their narrative style has changed as well and it sucks, I'm not good at explaining it but basically nothing is straightforward anymore, they try way too hard to make everything seem *dramatic* and *impactful* instead of just telling a story. For whatever reason they decided they need to get up their own asses to be an ~artistic~ zombie show but they suck at it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

GobiasIndustries posted:

i stopped really caring about the show back in I think season 4 but still watched it because i had a bunch of coworkers who loved it so :shrug: whatever it was an hour a week for a couple months and sometimes there was cool stuff that happened. The Glenn dumpster midseason fakeout thing was what really pissed me off personally. Both because it was obvious that he wasn't going to die by the way they shot it and the cheap emotional play they tried to pull. Then at the end of the season they left Lucille's victims up in limbo, presumably as leverage in contract negotiations.

The past few seasons, in addition, their narrative style has changed as well and it sucks, I'm not good at explaining it but basically nothing is straightforward anymore, they try way too hard to make everything seem *dramatic* and *impactful* instead of just telling a story. For whatever reason they decided they need to get up their own asses to be an ~artistic~ zombie show but they suck at it.

:same:

LadyPictureShow posted:

Is anyone else convinced Simon (the best character)is slated to die in the penultimate episode and that Alden guy is gonna Jin the main cast?

He is too good for the show so Megan will for sure murder him this season.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I want Simon to kill the Hilltop, kill Negan, kill Rick and this to become the Simon Show.

-----------------------------------------------8<-----------------------------------------------

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I hope they snuck some spoken word vinyl into that lady’s trade.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Fionordequester posted:

What happened?

There's no mystery, no goal, no nothing.

It only succeeds with short scenes that are cool or intense, like when Glenn and pals were stuck inside the revolving doors and then the black kid got highlandered in very graphic detail or uh... Well, that's the only scene that I really remember from the top of my head. The problem is, though, that when they set out to make these interesting scenes, they completely botch it nine times out of ten. For example, the van flip, the car chases this season, Beth's suicide and Glenn's dumpster.

The plot armors are very thick so there is no suspense and everyone has extremely convoluted solutions to whatever problems they face. Like when they found the 100000 zombies in the quarry that had two roads leading out of it, one of them blocked and the other extremely narrow, instead of getting one of their thousands of functioning cars to block the narrow path they instead start building this stupid track to lead them away. They also could've just admitted that yes, we have infinite resources, and just brasted them all (or set the pit on fire, heh). Cut some trees down to box them in there. Again, there were only two roads out of there, but no, let's listen to Rick, he always comes up with the best plans. Oh poo poo, people died to teleporting zombies and our town was sacked, aw shucks, who could've seen that coming? It's only happened every time we've followed Rick's plans.

Negan might as well be immortal. Everyone hates his guts but no one has put a bullet in him, or when they've tried it's been Rick who can't hit anything. Come to think of it, Rick really is a total piece of poo poo who only exists in the show to get people killed unintentionally through his "plans". Why is he the leader again?

So basically, the show has 10 seconds of a good scene for every hour of garbage. The characters are unlikable and/or uninteresting and there's way too many of them, they behave like no human ever would and there is no overarching goal that would drive the plot forward, no mystery to solve. The show is a piece of poo poo, I don't know if it ever was good, but now it's really scraping the bottom. It's probably running out of money too since they couldn't even film the scenes for negans car crashing or him somehow ending up kidnapped by the last trash standing.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

where did the turning point come?

Well I'll throw my hat into the ring and say it was when Negan turned up. At that point the cast turnover slowed way down so that now there is no sense of weight or danger to the characters actions. Earlier in the series characters would come in last a series or two, sometimes even less, get fairly intensive coverage, then die randomly.
Nowadays, they are trying to keep all the 2nd tier characters alive (Jerry, Tara, Jesus, Aaron, etc) and just giving them enough screen time to be around but not enough to properly develop them.
They really need to cull them down, focus on maybe 10-20 characters, oh and kill this stupid dragged out war.

As an aside, to me, at least up until Alexandria, there was a real feeling in the show that the characters were lone survivors in an apocalypse tearing each other to pieces as they desperately try to survive. Now they they feel like they are LARPers caught in bad writing.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

Surprise Grand Theft Auto crossover nobody saw coming:

The Walking Trevor

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It was earlier for me I can remember the exact moment I started to have major doubts, it was the Governors episodes where he wandered around and it looked like he was going to reform somewhat, then he was sitting on that trailer with his old henchman and killed him then did prison v2 and the stupid just ramped up from there.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

For me the very first indicator of a problem was the ninja zombies that started appearing in S2, I think (the one catching Dale by surprise was utterly inexcusable) but I kept watching; there were some cool parts in between people talking.

But this season's "Saviours solution to lifting the siege is: shooting a lot of zombies" and "Saviours who just lifted siege manage to syncronize three different attacks simultaneously that succeed pretty much flawlessly" cemented it as one of the worst writing of all time.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

socialsecurity posted:

It was earlier for me I can remember the exact moment I started to have major doubts, it was the Governors episodes where he wandered around and it looked like he was going to reform somewhat, then he was sitting on that trailer with his old henchman and killed him then did prison v2 and the stupid just ramped up from there.

Eh, the actual attack on the prison v2 was pretty cool. Zombie bus was cool, "look at the flowers" dark plotline was cool, Morgan's return, Terminus, tainted meat and I, Carol was all good stuff. Even Alexandria(s5 or s6?) had some good poo poo and the fight with the wolves was pretty cool. Morgan's "breakdown" is when it started sliding to poo poo. Up to that point Gimple did a good job of rescuing the show(S2 was boring and S3 Governor season was utter and complete garbo with the singular exception of Merle).

On top of the writing going to poo poo, the major cast members got very large pay raises. As a result the budget for everything else was slashed. CGI gunfire became common and cartoonishly bad and local JC theater majors began writing and directing episodes. Laughable action sequences are a direct result of a reduction of lack of stunt men- actors laying down after being shot, 35 MPH car chases. You can see when Rick "t-bones" Neegan, he's going like 25 mph and barely dents Neegan's car. Then we skip the actual chase and crash. Comparing S7(don't get me wrong, it wasn't good) with S8 is like night and day for the quality of the cinematography and continuity of the show.

The writing has been bad for a couple seasons but now the show looks and feels like poo poo.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fionordequester posted:

It has become a soap opera.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

turning point was after s01e01

or maybe Glenn's fun, well thought out spelunking into the well

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It had bad parts leading up to this but the show went completely into the dumpster when Beth died.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

When Shane died.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol Dale getting his chest ripped open by a 100 pound zombie owned

especially that he was the few that was like "just fuckin kill me"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

lol Dale getting his chest ripped open by a 100 pound zombie owned

especially that he was the few that was like "just fuckin kill me"

Don't forget it was a ninja assassin zombie that appeared out of nowhere in an open field after tearing a cow wide open solo too

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

CODChimera posted:

When Shane died.

Every time something terrible happens to the group, I always imagine how it never would have even come close to happening if Shane were still alive.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I forgot, didn't Shane accidentally break that one dude's neck after the dude miraculously recovered after he impaled his leg on a fence gate?

And he tried to hide it from Rick when they were looking for Lizzie together?

God season 2 was bad

Remember when Andrea shot Darryl because she was really proud of her sniper skills?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Mostly I remember the first half of season 2 being pretty bad and getting a lot of hate but the rest had some moments like that shootout in the bar, and the Rick/Shane tension was good. It should've just not ended so early on.

Oh and I remember the attack on the farm being the first(?) really bad action scene, just constant headshotting zombies and infinite ammo.

I wonder if it's worth doing a rewatch at some point.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
yeah the bar shootout was actually tense

especially since we never learned anything beyond them being raiders/negan lite

also gotta post it now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P224BTri7RQ

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I wrote season 2 off as sophomore jinx, but I guess if season 3-20 completely suck also then I suppose the show did start sucking at season 2.

So I guess there were 6 good episodes of TWD.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Human Crouton posted:

I wrote season 2 off as sophomore jinx, but I guess if season 3-20 completely suck also then I suppose the show did start sucking at season 2.

So I guess there were 6 good episodes of TWD.

Have you seen this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDbi7P93Np8 video yet?

Seriously you will understand so much more of the bullshit in AMC's mindset once you do.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
We should have stopped here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F6Y2qiGtG4

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/RMWgnD4.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/dZsfPf3.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/y3lE9cB.gifv

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

This show really just can't do vehicles at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I did a rewatch about a year or so ago and actually really enjoyed it. It does make watching what the show has become all the more sorrowful though.