Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Hmmmm.... My zenwatch 3 got updated to wear os. I thought it was abandoned. Also, I recently found out why the battery life was so terrible when I initially updated to aw2. Your watch face makes a huge difference in battery life. I'm back to 40% drop about every 12 hours which was my aw1.5 levels. Its still janky as hell but the battery life is decent again. . If you stopped wearing the zenwatch, give it another shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

LastInLine posted:

Secondly, and still the thing all us 1.5 fans want, there's still not a way to see at a glance what the notification is.

If you haven't found it already 2.9's new "Notification Preview" complication under the "General" category for the long complication template does what you ask:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vagrancy posted:

If you haven't found it already 2.9's new "Notification Preview" complication under the "General" category for the long complication template does what you ask:

Weird, I have 2.10 with the new notification icon but under General I only have Unread Notification Count. I've tried with a few different watchfaces. Is there some prerequisite to make the complication available?

I'd prefer it down there where you've got it in your screenshot but I tried the left indicator too to see if it needed the horizontal space and it still wasn't there.

Edit: Figured it out, the watchface has to have a spot for long complications which Pujie Black kinda does, but not really. You can use the Top Indicator to display it and you can move that wherever but it doesn't do text wrapping. You also don't get the icon at all, just the text in the notification (no way to tell what is generating the notification or if it's a chat who sent it).

I'm trying out other watchfaces that might have better support but I'm not digging the "No notifications" instead of just blankness. It's definitely better than it was.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 21, 2018

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
If you wanted a $5,200 Hublot Wear watch you are in luck!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Three Olives posted:

If you wanted a $5,200 Hublot Wear watch you are in luck!

The best part is its official name: Big Bang Referee 2018 World Cup Russia

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The best part is its official name: Big Bang Referee 2018 World Cup Russia

Ah, Super Saiyan Blue Sparkles Vegeta's ultimate attack

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

I don't think that's it at all. I think they released a mediocre product in response to The Next Big Thing and slapped together the base minimum necessary because neither Samsung (who entered the product space first due to Apple's cunning misdirection) nor Apple (who forgot they made up the idea of the smartwatch just to trick Samsung) was going to license their platform.

They figured, correctly, that it was better to make the commodity tier platform for anyone who wants to ”Make a smartwatch, I don't care what it does just make sure our name is on it" and that worked. The part that didn't work was anyone wanting smartwatches.

Edit:

Thinking about it further, I feel like you're way off base with the idea that allowing tinkering to OEM wishes would be a good idea. All the OEM wants to have to do is provide watchfaces with their name on it, design the housing, and determine the feature count and they can do all of that. Do you really think OEMs would've jumped on board en masse had they also been able to change the font, coloring, and order of the settings menu? That's laughable on its face.

Even paid Apple shills like Gruber and Arment are floating the idea that the Apple Watch should do away with third party apps beyond watchfaces and just focus on notifications, HealthKit sensors, and Apple Pay. In other words, they want to walk it back to where Android Wear was when it launched (minus NFC payments, of course).

The fact is the segment is moribund because it was never going to be as big as analysts hyped it to be. Again, there's ample evidence that rumors Apple was going to make a wearable was Jobs just trying to make Samsung sink tons of money into a stupid idea and then Tim got FOMO and did it after Samsung launched theirs. It could certainly be the case that what's out there is good enough and everyone who wants one of these things can get one if they want it. I don't think a super fast, hyper efficient chipset being made available would set the world on fire, nor do I think there's some killer app that just hasn't come out yet. The market for wearables is what it is and it will never be much.

Well I haven't seen the ample evidence of those having been Steve Jobs' plans and honestly it would make absolutely no sense for that to be true.

Do you really think Google made the right call by positioning themselves in the insignificant tier lumped in with every other no name wearable OS? Do you really think if Samsung had been given the option to slap their Gear UI on top of Android Wear and sell a Galaxy Gear S they wouldn't have jumped at the chance?

The truth is the smartwatch market is finally growing at a good pace but it's already starting to mirror the smartphone market with Apple taking the lion's share, Samsung bringing up second place, and everyone else being utterly irrelevant. While other OEMs have less interest in modifying Wear OS to suit their needs they also have no interest in fighting Apple on Google's behalf. Samsung on the other hand, would've been more than happy to represent Wear against Apple, had they been given the chance to push their ecosystem alongside. With a big enough established user base of Wear users other companies would see an incentive to push their own Wear hardware, which would be differentiated from Samsung's by the "purity levels" of their OS (like Sony and Motorola do with their phones). As it stands it is now a platform nobody buys and a market nobody wants to get into, leaving us with another Apple/Samsung duopoly in the making.

Wear OS isn't going to progress on the back of a new hyper efficient chip, like the Gear and the Apple Watch, it can only progress with continual development and improvement. Samsung is exactly the kind of company that would've continued pumping Wear devices and marketing them until they got it right. The Galaxy Gear S1 could've been a flop but by the third or fourth you'd see Wear as a serious contender to Apple Watch supremacy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Do you really think Google made the right call by positioning themselves in the insignificant tier lumped in with every other no name wearable OS? Do you really think if Samsung had been given the option to slap their Gear UI on top of Android Wear and sell a Galaxy Gear S they wouldn't have jumped at the chance?

The whole point of Wear at the beginning was to present Google Now front and center to the user to drive engagement of the Google platform. There really isn't any new data for Google to be gleaned from someone having a Wear device so why let Samsung rebrand and reskin something only intended to provide value to the ecosystem and to promote Google services?

Google only cares about getting data and serving ads and doing what you propose wouldn't promote either regardless of whether it would've been better for wearables in general. Taking the commodity approach, however, has put Android Wear on the wrists of lots of iOS users who otherwise may not have been using Google services to view every notification their device receives. Which is, you know, their goal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Taking the commodity approach, however, has put Android Wear on the wrists of lots of iOS users
Has it?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

LastInLine posted:

There really isn't any new data for Google to be gleaned from someone having a Wear device

Only because Google completely totally hosed up on collecting health data from Wear while Apple is literally loving and swimming in it (You know Apple has figured out how to tell if you are having sex while wearing an Apple Watch).

Wear can kind of guess how many steps you take and sometimes maybe accurately take your heart rate while Apple has armies of data scientists, M.Ds. Ph.Ds and machine learning experts publishing peer reviewed studies on diagnosing medical conditions with the Apple Watch.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

The whole point of Wear at the beginning was to present Google Now front and center to the user to drive engagement of the Google platform. There really isn't any new data for Google to be gleaned from someone having a Wear device so why let Samsung rebrand and reskin something only intended to provide value to the ecosystem and to promote Google services?

Because Google still wins with more people using Wear as opposed to having it die off in obscurity.

quote:

Google only cares about getting data and serving ads and doing what you propose wouldn't promote either regardless of whether it would've been better for wearables in general. Taking the commodity approach, however, has put Android Wear on the wrists of lots of iOS users who otherwise may not have been using Google services to view every notification their device receives. Which is, you know, their goal.

Again, the approach I'm proposing would've put Wear on the wrists of many more users, iOS and otherwise. Would have been a net win for Google and would've served their goals much better than the current irrelevance of the platform.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

According to Google "1 in 3" Wear OS users are doing so with iPhones. I don't know either.

Three Olives posted:

Only because Google completely totally hosed up on collecting health data from Wear while Apple is literally loving and swimming in it

Good point.

Desk Lamp posted:

Because Google still wins with more people using Wear as opposed to having it die off in obscurity.

Again, the approach I'm proposing would've put Wear on the wrists of many more users, iOS and otherwise. Would have been a net win for Google and would've served their goals much better than the current irrelevance of the platform.

It certainly would've put Samsung on a lot of peoples' wrists and I, like Google, would argue that's bad not only for Google but for humanity as a whole.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Yeah, Google (rightfully) definitely does not want Samsung to be the gatekeeper to devices.

Even if Samsung was a good company that did things perfectly, being beholden to one other company to get your data collection OS out to people is a bad place to be.

(though I don't think their plans have worked out as well as could be hoped. Now they're basically beholden to Fossil)

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 24, 2018

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

According to Google "1 in 3" Wear OS users are doing so with iPhones. I don't know either.

Good point.

It certainly would've put Samsung on a lot of peoples' wrists and I, like Google, would argue that's bad not only for Google but for humanity as a whole.

Seems to have worked out just fine for them in the smartphone market. I don't see how it would be worse to have Samsung give them market share vs having no market share.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

Seems to have worked out just fine for them in the smartphone market. I don't see how it would be worse to have Samsung give them market share vs having no market share.

The smartphone Android market is "fine" but it is not "ideal".

The goal for the smartwatch market was (we're all guessing) was to move closer to the "ideal". I'm also not as confident as you seem to be that a Samsung dominated Android smartwatch market would have been much different in terms of market share.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

The goal for the smartwatch market was (we're all guessing) was to move closer to the "ideal". I'm also not as confident as you seem to be that a Samsung dominated Android smartwatch market would have been much different in terms of market share.

I took what Desk Lamp was saying to be that if Samsung used Wear then Wear's marketshare would be Gear's plus Wear's marketshare, not that then those two combined would be larger than they are today.

Desk Lamp posted:

At the point that Samsung started taking over Android I think Google would've taken anyone selling phones, whatever it took, just to make sure they had secure footing in the space. By the time Wear came around the last thing they needed was yet another OEM ball and chain constantly threatening to fork.

By the time Wear came around Samsung had already been in the space for a year already. I don't see why Samsung, even if Google told them to poo poo all over their OS again, would abandon something they already had and was fine to give in to Google, a company that they were all but openly threatening to ditch. They launched Gear in 2013 which was right after the Motorola acquisition and right when Samsung had really started to do extremely well following the S3. Samsung was trying to break away from Google entirely at that point.

Google could've called their watch OS "Samsung #1 Best Watch OS Ever" and had terms requiring that every watch app had to have at least four Samsung-branded duplicate apps doing the same exact thing and Samsung would've told them to eat a pile of dicks because that's just how things were in 2014.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
The main problem is there are two reasons people want a smart watch, health tracking and notifications. Google's watch health tracking amounts to a step counter worse than a 5 year old Fitbit and has not improved at all while Apple is diagnosing heart conditions with theirs and the only thing Google has done to notifications is actively work to make them worse.

It's absolutely baffling that Google is so far behind on the two things people want/need a smartwatch to do.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
All this talk, and I'm still sitting here with an original model LG G Watch that still rocks 2-3 days of battery life and does absolutely everything I want, including having not-poo poo notifications because it's stuck on the last release of Wear 1.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

G-Prime posted:

All this talk, and I'm still sitting here with an original model LG G Watch that still rocks 2-3 days of battery life and does absolutely everything I want, including having not-poo poo notifications because it's stuck on the last release of Wear 1.

I would be super happy still with my OG Moto 360 if the battery hadn't went to poo poo. I remember being disappointed hearing that it wouldn't get Wear 2, but in hindsight I kinda feel like that was a good thing.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

I don't see how the market could get much better for Google considering they are currently dominating it.

LastInLine posted:

I took what Desk Lamp was saying to be that if Samsung used Wear then Wear's marketshare would be Gear's plus Wear's marketshare, not that then those two combined would be larger than they are today.

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant.

quote:

At the point that Samsung started taking over Android I think Google would've taken anyone selling phones, whatever it took, just to make sure they had secure footing in the space. By the time Wear came around the last thing they needed was yet another OEM ball and chain constantly threatening to fork.

By the time Wear came around Samsung had already been in the space for a year already. I don't see why Samsung, even if Google told them to poo poo all over their OS again, would abandon something they already had and was fine to give in to Google, a company that they were all but openly threatening to ditch. They launched Gear in 2013 which was right after the Motorola acquisition and right when Samsung had really started to do extremely well following the S3. Samsung was trying to break away from Google entirely at that point.

Google could've called their watch OS "Samsung #1 Best Watch OS Ever" and had terms requiring that every watch app had to have at least four Samsung-branded duplicate apps doing the same exact thing and Samsung would've told them to eat a pile of dicks because that's just how things were in 2014.
Remember though, that although Samsung had been in the market selling watches, they were Android powered smartwatches. They did not switch to Tizen watches until Android Wear launched and it became clear that Google would not give them a seat at the table. It's also important to note that despite all the tension and forking threats surrounding the Google-Samsung relationship of that time, in the end they made up. Google and Samsung entered a cross licensing deal that has been mutually beneficial and I see no reason to believe it wouldn't have been the same for Wear as well. We're all speculating what could've been or even what the goal of Wear is but one thing is certain: it is not languishing in the "others" category of the market share pie chart. That was the last stop for Windows Phone, BlackBerry, and Palm OS before they were killed off.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 25, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

I don't see how the market could get much better for Google considering they are currently dominating it.

Being the market leader has little bearing on the market being configured in the way you would like it. As an illustration with extremes, I'm sure Google would prefer it if people with Android phones gladly gave Google access to their bank accounts and authorized a $100 monthly transfer to Google.

There are a ton of issues with the way things are that I'm fairly confident Google would prefer were not the case. For example, I'm sure they'd rather Samsung not be so dominant. I'm sure they'd rather OS version fragmentation wasn't as bad as it is.

Again, we're not privy to Google's intentions and plans, but I don't see anything wrong with the idea that they would want to try a different path with smartwatches from the path they took with smartphones in an effort to end up at a point even better than where they are now with smartphones.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Three Olives posted:

The main problem is there are two reasons people want a smart watch, health tracking and notifications. Google's watch health tracking amounts to a step counter worse than a 5 year old Fitbit and has not improved at all while Apple is diagnosing heart conditions with theirs and the only thing Google has done to notifications is actively work to make them worse.

It's absolutely baffling that Google is so far behind on the two things people want/need a smartwatch to do.

This is exactly right but I wouldn't say it's surprising because it's not like OEMs were going to put in high quality sensors for accurate fitness data. Apple gets that market because Apple cares about hardware quality and in general commodity market OEMs do not. Without knowing anything about wearables I'd expect Samsung to have better fitness trackers than Wear OS devices because they're controlling the stack.

The notification stuff, well, we've all been over that enough.

Desk Lamp posted:

Remember though, that although Samsung had been in the market selling watches, they were Android powered smartwatches. They did not switch to Tizen watches until Android Wear launched and it became clear that Google would not give them a seat at the table. It's also important to note that despite all the tension and forking threats surrounding the Google-Samsung relationship of that time, in the end they made up. Google and Samsung entered a cross licensing deal that has been mutually beneficial and I see no reason to believe it wouldn't have been the same for Wear as well. We're all speculating what could've been or even what the goal of Wear is but one thing is certain: it is not languishing in the "others" category of the market share pie chart. That was the last stop for Windows Phone, BlackBerry, and Palm OS before they were killed off.

I mean, yeah, it's not looking great for Wear (though the rapid changes coming lately are pretty good, I fear they're too late) but Google's dropped a lot of turds along the way and left OEMs holding a lot of bags. How many aborted television OSs are they up to? If the Fossil group gives up then I guess it's all over for it and I think everyone who cares (not many of us) would agree it's been mismanaged.

Whether them letting OEMs Samsung it up would've made a difference is an interesting line of debate to me because I'd never considered it. While I think you're right in a trivial sense in that had Samsung used Wear then Samsung would keep Wear afloat, I think our disconnect is that I would claim that it would then not be what Wear is and supposed to be and thus no different from where we are now.

Deviating slightly from the discussion ITT, did anyone read Android Police's review of the Skagen Falster? Even with not being able to change the OS much it's amazing how OEMs still find a way to make things miserable in areas they can touch:

quote:

On the software side, the big misstep of the Falster is with its pre-loaded watch faces. There is a total of, count them with me, six watch faces available and, save for the digital one that you see on most of my photos, they all look terrible.

My real heartbreak came when I noticed that the Falster has plenty of other watch faces pre-loaded (it's using the same firmware as other Fossil watches), but they're disabled and even when enabled, they don't work and show a still logo instead when chosen. So not only did Skagen load a measly 6 faces on the Falster, it had to dangle the prospect of something so much better and deny it at the last step.

Back to the pre-loaded faces, "all" six can be personalized with colors and Wear Complications, but the available colors are limited. Whether for the background, dials, or accent, you only have 9 colors: white, black, light pink, grey, greyish-blue, dark blue, orange, red, and yellow.

The looks are categorized by color, but as if to taunt you even further, the app has categories for colors that aren't even available for the Falster's faces, like silver, gold, rose gold, green, brown, pink, and purple. It's a reminder that there are faces you can't access on your watch and this "Saved Faces" app was probably meant as a catch-all for all of Fossil's brands and watches, not just the Falster.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

I mean, yeah, it's not looking great for Wear (though the rapid changes coming lately are pretty good, I fear they're too late) but Google's dropped a lot of turds along the way and left OEMs holding a lot of bags. How many aborted television OSs are they up to? If the Fossil group gives up then I guess it's all over for it and I think everyone who cares (not many of us) would agree it's been mismanaged.

Whether them letting OEMs Samsung it up would've made a difference is an interesting line of debate to me because I'd never considered it. While I think you're right in a trivial sense in that had Samsung used Wear then Samsung would keep Wear afloat, I think our disconnect is that I would claim that it would then not be what Wear is and supposed to be and thus no different from where we are now.

I think we're in agreement, but you are slightly misinterpreting my position. I don't mean that Google should've let Samsung become Wear but that they should've allowed them to turn Wear into a viable market. OEMs and demand managers look at the numbers when analyzing the risk in entering any market. Right now Wear's share is abysmal, meaning zero incentive for tech companies to invest. Fossil on the other hand, competes in the overall watch market, they have no interest in growing the Wear brand or market, they just want an OS they can slap on and not have to provide support for in a misguided attempt to keep the Apple Watch from taking business from their main products. I'm sure Fossil would be happiest if the smartwatch market just died off entirely and saved them a headache.

Now if the market share for Wear included Samsung's chunk, tech companies would see every single one of those users as a potential user for their own Wear products, thus driving demand for the tech that powers these products, motivating companies like Qualcomm to develop hardware. I'm envisioning a smartwatch market that mirrors the smartphone market, with Wear being the dominant force split between heavily skinned Samsung products and various other OEM offerings of varying "purity", capped with Google's own Pixel offering. I'm sure Google would love to offer a Pixel Watch, but with no demand to power hardware development their only choices are sitting out or putting out a clunker on years old hardware that could do more damage to their brand's reputation than benefit.

I look at it essentially as a mirror of the smartphone market. Android entered a market that at that point was overwhelmingly dominated by Apple, and it was by working with Samsung that they wrestled the crown away from the iPhone. In today's saturated market it is almost impossible to make someone switch from their iPhone to an Android or vice versa. However it is infinitely easier to entice someone away from their Galaxy to a Pixel or Moto. This secondary internal Android competition is what keeps the smaller OEMs in the running. I think Moto would be much more inclined to support Wear if they were enticed by the possibility of turning Samsung Wear users into Moto Wear users. As it is, launching a product that seems abandoned by the platform maintainer to compete directly with the Apple behemoth AND the second place position belongs to another platform that also competes with you seems futile, more so when your operation is a quarter the size of your competitor's.
Google should've realized that they do much better when they work with Samsung rather than against, for better or worse they are each other's most important partner.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

Google should've realized that they do much better when they work with Samsung rather than against, for better or worse they are each other's most important partner.

That's not exactly a given. It's the way it turned out in smartphones due to a lot of reasons other than Samsung being a perfect fit for Google. We've not exactly got a wealth of data to back up the assertion that Google needs Samsung and Samsung needs Google in every market.

I'm not saying that Wear wouldn't be in a better place right now if Samsung was all-in on Wear, but it's a defensible plan to attempt to go at it without Samsung. So far it's only had lackluster success at doing so, and its completely possible that it will never work out, but making the attempt to not be dependent upon Samsung is defensible.

Whether or not they've made this attempt in the best way is a different question. The thing is, we always look at these things in absolutes, but a company only cares so much, and is only willing to devote so much resources to any endeavor. We can say they should have done X, Y, and Z, but maybe they didn't rightly care enough to do so. Maybe they chose the best path forward for that best balanced all their priorities...many of which are inherently in conflict with each other.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is there anything out there besides Pebble yet that can deliver even 3 days or so battery life? Something new would be nice but I'm not ready to give up week long battery yet. Especially for the drat Samsung behemoth that lasts gently caress all time my buddy got recently.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Not with a full Wear OS / Smart system, no. So-called hybrid smartwatches last a good while between recharges.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm just being impulsive really. Everything was fine on my S7 but now on my Pixel 2 I'm having an issue. When I get out of the car it sends a notification to my Steel with the track info of the last song played. And then when I get in the car again no track info appears on the dash, only get it when I first leave the house, so I guess when the app opens fresh. Using Shuttle, I have all locally stored music.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

codo27 posted:

Is there anything out there besides Pebble yet that can deliver even 3 days or so battery life? Something new would be nice but I'm not ready to give up week long battery yet. Especially for the drat Samsung behemoth that lasts gently caress all time my buddy got recently.

The Fitbit Versa, from all i've seen is pretty much just an apple watch styled pebble with some fitbit branding. Claims a 4 day battery life, but nothing "real world" yet to support that.

Nothing really in the Wear or Samsung or Apple market that can compare to that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm not sure when it happened but the scrollbar indicator on Wear is now accurate. It now actually shows the percentage you are through a list instead of being the same size regardless of the length of the list and just jumping all the way to the bottom when it's only two items long.

This platform may have some life left in it yet!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is there an issue tied to Oreo wth Facebook Messenger? After getting a message sometimes I'll get the message on my watch sometimes it says chat head active. Never happened before. Solved all my other trouble by just using Play music

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lostleaf posted:

Hmmmm.... My zenwatch 3 got updated to wear os. I thought it was abandoned. Also, I recently found out why the battery life was so terrible when I initially updated to aw2. Your watch face makes a huge difference in battery life. I'm back to 40% drop about every 12 hours which was my aw1.5 levels. Its still janky as hell but the battery life is decent again. . If you stopped wearing the zenwatch, give it another shot.

You might have convinced me to try mine again, the battery drain was one of the killing factors for me.

Are Android Wear watches still on the SD2100? Is there any point in getting a new one?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The skagen falster was released in february and is using the 2100 so seems like it

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

You might have convinced me to try mine again, the battery drain was one of the killing factors for me.

Are Android Wear watches still on the SD2100? Is there any point in getting a new one?

The watch face I'm using is 'ksana sweep'. It was free when I got it. Not sure if it's still free now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes, that's what the conversation has been about regarding this dead platform. It's dead because there's one SoC that sucked when it was new but is now two years old and there's not even a replacement planned. So now you've got a whole bunch of essentially the exact same watches that can't make it through a day and are so comically oversized as to be unusable by half the population that are as efficient as three year old hardware.

I mean I've thought about buying another Wear OS device too, but it would be exactly the same device I currently own but without the flat tire screen and with a new battery. Other than that there would be no difference worth noting.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

My house was broken into and my Zenwatch stolen. Rip. As it seems I'm in the market for a new watch, do any of these same internal watches have NFC? Since the only other difference is what the case looks like.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Huawei watch 2 has nfc

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

My 1st gen Huawei Watch started losing its heart sensor cover. What kind of glue can I use to fix it?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
JB Weld of some sort?

edit: is there any Watch at around $100 with heart rate tracker and can survive construction work?

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 21, 2018

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

E2M2 posted:

JB Weld of some sort?

edit: is there any Watch at around $100 with heart rate tracker and can survive construction work?

Fitbit Charge HR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Just got a new Wear24 for $51 on eBay with their one-day coupon. Seems like the right way to get into Wear at this point.