Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

loquacius posted:

This is actually pretty good in-character writing as Ernest Cline, and I would not be the least bit surprised to learn he's a goon
Ernest Cline is Gamesmaster Anthony. Prove me wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Its definitely one of the worst books ever written.

This is not hyperbole. It’s racist geekbaiting that attempts to trade nostalgia in exchange for content. Also Ernest Cline is gonna end up like Notch, a mega-rich incel that no one wants to hang with because he’s always talking about his sweet new idea for a Godzilla/Voltron buddy cop flick

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I keep hearing it's racist and transphobic and stuff, but there's no way I'm gonna read it. Can someone just tell me how a book about videogames and 80's movies managed to jam racism into it?

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 21, 2018

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Solice Kirsk posted:

I keep hearing it's racist and transphobic and stuff, but there's no way I'm gonna read it. Can someone just tell me how a game about videogames and 80's movies managed to jam racism into it?

I mean, plenty of video games from the 80s were racist, in the 'all the good guys are white, and the only time you see black people you have to beat them up' kind of way. And even the most black positive movies from back then would be considered problematic as hell nowadays.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Striking for unskilled positions without an existing Union doesn't work.

Yeah, that's why I told anon to unionize first

The general strike wouldn't work without a union, this is true, they need a union megabad though

blarzgh posted:

I tried to read Ready Player One but it was such a Turbo-Nerd Jackoff Fantasy from the first word that I bailed immediately.

My biggest problem with it was that the prose was garbage

Every chapter read like a bullet-point list of actions. "Wade did A. Wade did B. C happened, so Wade did D. Wade sighed, steeled himself, and did E. Wade did F." It felt like legit culture shock the day I finished it and picked up another book by an actual good author.

It was an interesting premise for a book that Cline should have handed off to an actual writer that actually knows how to write, rather than just cramming as many sweet refs as possible into a book and spending the rest of his life counting money

but I guess it did work out for him so

e: You can rightfully say Ready Player One was bad for many reasons without even having to think about social justice honestly

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Solice Kirsk posted:

I keep hearing it's racist and transphobic and stuff, but there's no way I'm gonna read it. Can someone just tell me how a game about videogames and 80's movies managed to jam racism into it?
I don't remember anything overtly racist/transphobic, but Ernest Cline's idea of "inclusion" is that he casually mentions at the end of the book that a major character is a fat black lesbian (who uses a male avatar). I'm not sure whether it's a good or bad thing that the author-insert's reaction is "well, okay" and then the novel quickly moves on to listing off more 80s things and never speaks of it again.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Bust Rodd posted:

Its definitely one of the worst books ever written.

This is not hyperbole. It’s racist geekbaiting that attempts to trade nostalgia in exchange for content. Also Ernest Cline is gonna end up like Notch, a mega-rich incel that no one wants to hang with because he’s always talking about his sweet new idea for a Godzilla/Voltron buddy cop flick

I agree entirely with your sentiments however an extremely pedantic part of me must object to your characterization of the transactional exchange of nostalgia/content. Nostalgia is in this case being utilized as a cheap substitute for content, not offered in exchange for it. Content, along with plot and many of the other elements which traditionally comprise a "good" novel, makes no appearance here. And no one else will ever end up *quite* like Notch, who is only so completely pathetic as part of a cia psyop to misdirect our natural hatred of the rich onto his irrelevant candy-stuffed rear end (see also: martin skrillex the aids meds guy). I have an anonymous confession to make: I'm George H. W. Bush, and I did 9/11

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Incoherence posted:

I don't remember anything overtly racist/transphobic, but Ernest Cline's idea of "inclusion" is that he casually mentions at the end of the book that a major character is a fat black lesbian (who uses a male avatar). I'm not sure whether it's a good or bad thing that the author-insert's reaction is "well, okay" and then the novel quickly moves on to listing off more 80s things and never speaks of it again.

It's certainly the best reaction Ernest Cline could have handled :shrug:

Like, if you're expecting the characters to sit down with a cup of coffee and really dig down deep into what it says about our society that she felt pressured to keep her identity a secret and express thoughtful nuanced opinions and incisive critiques, you're reading the wrong book, this one's about Optimus Prime

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Again the base-level premise of Ready Player One is in itself interesting and salvageable. "In a world where reality loving sucks, most people spend most of their time in a huge, vastly-detailed VR universe whose long-dead creator has hidden the key to his vast fortune behind a series of devilishly well-hidden virtual Easter eggs." It's like cyberpunk National Treasure. A good author could do great things with that. The problem is it reads like it was written by a first-year history major and Cline's number one priority was to spend most of the book describing how all your friends from your favorite 80s intellectual properties are right there in virtual world with you

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

loquacius posted:

Again the base-level premise of Ready Player One is in itself interesting and salvageable. "In a world where reality loving sucks, most people spend most of their time in a huge, vastly-detailed VR universe whose long-dead creator has hidden the key to his vast fortune behind a series of devilishly well-hidden virtual Easter eggs." It's like cyberpunk National Treasure. A good author could do great things with that. The problem is it reads like it was written by a first-year history major and Cline's number one priority was to spend most of the book describing how all your friends from your favorite 80s intellectual properties are right there in virtual world with you

I went to wiki to get a plot synopsis, but when I saw the words "cyber-crush" I had a stroke, filled my diaper, and choked to death on the thick poopy musk

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

text me a vag pic posted:

I went to wiki to get a plot synopsis, but when I saw the words "cyber-crush" I had a stroke, filled my diaper, and choked to death on the thick poopy musk

Well, hopefully when your daily routine is finished you can get around to reading the rest of that wiki article :smug:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

loquacius posted:

The Gamemaster Anthony hypothesis lookin’ pretty good

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

loquacius posted:

Yeah, I can imagine a lot of good books being written with the Oasis as their base premise. Ready Player One is not one of those books.

It actually sort of feels like a NaNo novel: long stretches of obvious padding while the author thinks of the next set piece they want to write, set pieces that take too many words to describe something that's just ripped off another better work, an author-insert main character, and heavy reliance on archetypes like the Manic Pixie Dream Girl and the Comically Evil Corporate CEO.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm pretty sure that Thurston guy is some lesser creep demon from that demon book with the powerful chirping bird, and the goon's husband was easily soul trapped because he was a buffoon. Whelp, dump him I guess.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

VanSandman posted:

The Gamemaster Anthony hypothesis lookin’ pretty good

After a quick google to remind myself who Gamemaster Anthony is I 100% agree

Incoherence posted:

Yeah, I can imagine a lot of good books being written with the Oasis as their base premise. Ready Player One is not one of those books.

It actually sort of feels like a NaNo novel: long stretches of obvious padding while the author thinks of the next set piece they want to write, set pieces that take too many words to describe something that's just ripped off another better work, an author-insert main character, and heavy reliance on archetypes like the Manic Pixie Dream Girl and the Comically Evil Corporate CEO.

This sums up the plot problems pretty well

That along with the bullet-point thing and the Long List Of References thing make up a pretty complete critique if Ernest Cline is actually reading this and wants some feedback

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

There's a Let's Read in the Book Barn.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Incoherence posted:

heavy reliance on archetypes like ... the Comically Evil Corporate CEO.

This seems realistic, though.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

loquacius posted:

It's certainly the best reaction Ernest Cline could have handled :shrug:

Like, if you're expecting the characters to sit down with a cup of coffee and really dig down deep into what it says about our society that she felt pressured to keep her identity a secret and express thoughtful nuanced opinions and incisive critiques, you're reading the wrong book, this one's about Optimus Prime
Funnily the current run of Transformers comics is about how a brutally bigoted society that worked low-class workers to death while funneling wealth and glory to those in power produced two separate rebel factions that turned on each other after the Senate was taken down in a violent coup and 4 million years later people are still shaped by the pressures that sparked the Autobot/Decepticon war in the first place. Optimus Prime is a myopic colonizing rear end in a top hat with probable severe mental health issues.

...of course Ernest Cline would hate it because it's not a low-production 80s cartoon entirely put together to market toys.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

loquacius posted:

I read RPO and enjoyed it because I'm an eighties nerd and got about 99% of the references. Still, the writing was mediocre, and a lot of details don't stand up to scrutiny. Like, the OASIS is so pervasive that OASIS money is used for everything. I can get that, but at one point the protagonist finds OASIS gold as treasure in a dungeon, which resets every 24 hours. If real money could be farmed it would lead to hyper-inflation.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

loquacius posted:

Yeah, that's why I told anon to unionize first

The general strike wouldn't work without a union, this is true, they need a union megabad though
A guy asked me why Walmart workers don't just walk out in protest of their crappy employer and I said, "Because they need to eat." I don't work at Walmart, but I know both them and Target will boot your rear end out the door before you even finish saying "Union."

blarzgh posted:

Turbo-Nerd Jackoff Fantasy
Stealing this.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Everyone on this forum likes to make fun of that book now but it's you people who conned me into reading it in the first place!!

loquacius posted:

Well, hopefully when your daily routine is finished you can get around to reading the rest of that wiki article :smug:

:roflolmao:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Waffle! posted:

A guy asked me why Walmart workers don't just walk out in protest of their crappy employer and I said, "Because they need to eat." I don't work at Walmart, but I know both them and Target will boot your rear end out the door before you even finish saying "Union."

There was a time when factory and construction jobs were the same way

The only thing that can stop this kind of treatment, ironically, is a union. Gotta set that precedent somewhere.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If it was that easy then they would have a union already. The RWDS would be all over bringing Walmart into the union.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

If it was that easy then they would have a union already. The RWDS would be all over bringing Walmart into the union.

I fully believe it's not easy, I'm not saying this as some sort of slam on WalMart employees or something

It's just a thing that needs to happen by hook or by crook, one of a list of many many improbably things that need to happen in this country to make it livable for people who aren't rich

e: wait does RWDS stand for "right wing death squad" because now that's been Googled on my work computer thanks a lot :mad:

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Gynovore posted:

I read RPO and enjoyed it because I'm an eighties nerd and got about 99% of the references.[/spoiler]

jesus loving god

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

loquacius posted:

I fully believe it's not easy, I'm not saying this as some sort of slam on WalMart employees or something

It's just a thing that needs to happen by hook or by crook, one of a list of many many improbably things that need to happen in this country to make it livable for people who aren't rich

e: wait does RWDS stand for "right wing death squad" because now that's been Googled on my work computer thanks a lot :mad:

Huh, nope. Wrong acronym. RWDSU. U.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
I'm pretty sure that the confession for Ready Player One was from the puppet Master. Why? Because everytime someone says anything about this the thread goes into a huge derail of goons saying it's poo poo. I mean I agree that it looks like poo poo (haven't read the book, just the extract that people post) but we don't need another thread where the next 5 pages are dedicated to why.

So please, can we show the puppet master that we will not dance for him and just shut the gently caress off about RPO?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Huh, nope. Wrong acronym. RWDSU. U.

lol that makes more sense

New Wave Jose posted:

I'm pretty sure that the confession for Ready Player One was from the puppet Master. Why? Because everytime someone says anything about this the thread goes into a huge derail of goons saying it's poo poo. I mean I agree that it looks like poo poo (haven't read the book, just the extract that people post) but we don't need another thread where the next 5 pages are dedicated to why.

So please, can we show the puppet master that we will not dance for him and just shut the gently caress off about RPO?

We've been pretty harmonious in our agreement honestly so if my puppets have been mastered I'm ok with it

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

loquacius posted:

We've been pretty harmonious in our agreement honestly so if my puppets have been mastered I'm ok with it
smug circlejerks are almost as bad as flamewars, imo

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Puppet Master was an OK film, but it was the flagship film of Full Moon studios. Full Moon will always have a place in my heart for the worst horror movie I have ever seen Totem.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The greatest trick the puppet master ever played was convincing the thread he exists

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
I honestly thought Ready Player One was supposed to be a sort of satire of nerd culture. One of the reasons was the listing of soooo many 80s pop and nerd culture touchstones as if they were super important - it made me think it was taking its cue from American Psycho in a way. Turns out I was completely wrong in my reading (but I still want to believe).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s just a marvel that anyone could get through it to me. Something about the increasing layers of reference that add nothing of value to the narrative just functions as literary kryptonite to me and every page felt like increasingly bad satire.

I read Anne Rice novels and Vampire Detective/ Animorphs as a kid, it’s not like I’m not a nerd who grew up in the 90’s and can’t stomach trash, but RP1 is just... it doesn’t even feel like a book.

Ok I just got it. Being that referential requires you to bring something to the table. Nothing about RP1 will ever surpass or emotionally engage people in the same ways any of its references did, and so it’s literally asking the beloved characters of older IPs to hang out with this loser new guy, the books hero, so everyone will think he’s cool. It’s like the plot of a teen comedy. RP1 is a book written by a man who has only ever watched movies and played video games and doesn’t understand why books are different than those things.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s just a marvel that anyone could get through it to me. Something about the increasing layers of reference that add nothing of value to the narrative just functions as literary kryptonite to me and every page felt like increasingly bad satire.

I read Anne Rice novels and Vampire Detective/ Animorphs as a kid, it’s not like I’m not a nerd who grew up in the 90’s and can’t stomach trash, but RP1 is just... it doesn’t even feel like a book.

Ok I just got it. Being that referential requires you to bring something to the table. Nothing about RP1 will ever surpass or emotionally engage people in the same ways any of its references did, and so it’s literally asking the beloved characters of older IPs to hang out with this loser new guy, the books hero, so everyone will think he’s cool. It’s like the plot of a teen comedy. RP1 is a book written by a man who has only ever watched movies and played video games and doesn’t understand why books are different than those things.

I listened to RP1 on a 14 hour drive to Summer Games Done Quick, narrated by Will Wheaton. It was the most quintessential nerd experience I will ever have, and the excitement of going to SGDQ bled over and I subsequently enjoyed listening to Will Wheaton's dulcet tones referencing a shitload of 80's nerdity and the smugness of referencing himself being elected vice president of the Oasis was palpable.

It's me. I'm the guy that enjoyed it for what it was in the setting I experienced it in.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
one time i drove 65 hours to go watch other people play video games and on the way i listened to a text-to-speech bot read me a list of every film and game released in the 1980s and boy howdy let me tell you it was orgasmic

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I have a "vampire" fetish. Ever since I saw the movie Queen of the Damned I got obsessed with the idea of being a vampire. I target goth girls and convince them to let me cut them and drink their blood, and once some trust has been established I bite them until they bleed. Nothing gets me harder than that metallic taste blood has.

I know vampires aren't real but I love playing the role and the whole thing is just so erotic. It takes a lot of trust to convince a girl to let you cut her neck.I still jerk off to the memory of my first time where we had to end up calling 911 because I went a little too deep. That was an extremely awkward conversation with the police, for the record.

there was a story in the r/relationships thread where a guy and his girlfriend had a weird sex thing involving her taking blood from him and mixing it into a cocktail, and eventually she tried to kill him by injecting a full syringe of air into his veins while he was tied up, and he only survived by yelling for his roommate to bust in and drive him to the hospital

What I'm saying is this isn't a great fetish and even if you don't hurt someone on purpose you probably will by accident sooner or later

quote:

To the occult goon:

I’ve been an occultist for about 30 years. For almost that entire time, I’ve been working with a religion that’s sort of cousin to Voodoo - similar, just from a different part of Africa.

That’s my focus, but also during that time, I’ve worked extensively with various medieval and renaissance magical systems, including learning Latin to read some of the texts that haven’t been translated into English yet. Here is what I’ve learned over the decades:

1. You don’t have to spend thousands on “grimoires”. What the hell. Most of them can be found on Google Books, and those that aren’t, are under $100 - usually way under - and are in print.

2. Spells on Ebay (Ebay??? Really???) are poo poo.

3. The only way to be effective in any magic, is to develop a trust with spirits. This usually takes years. It’s not sexy, or like in the movies. You also spend years reading a lot of boring books, memorizing things, and doing rituals that don’t work. Eventually everything clicks, and poo poo starts happening.

4. What does “working” mean? Well…. you aren’t going to see some demon materializing in a cloud of smoke before your eyes. Does it mean you’re winning the lottery all of a sudden? Probably not. What about that babe you’re hoping will lust after your pimply rear end? Probably not.

The reality is a combination of learning how to live your life in a way that has very little drama. That way you don’t have to try to fix it. Then get a job, and develop good habits.

Once that’s done, use magic to make that poo poo way better. I have a good job, and have used magic to get raises, get property, and even lovers. You could say it’s because I’m a pretty stable person, but as a friend said, magic is the art of making coincidences happen. I’ve had some crazy coincidences in my life.

But then again I also have fun doing this, and I’m not the basement dwelling nerd I used to be when I was younger. Now I’m pretty social and have an active life, and this was due to putting an effort into every aspect of my life, including my magical practice. Opening a book and uttering some awkward phrases while sitting naked in a circle isn’t enough.

Oh, and another secret to magic, is that medieval and renaissance magicians didn't just read grimoires. They were scholars who were well-versed in a variety of disciplines. In other words, you also have to be intelligent and well-read in more than just books on magic.

haha look at this dumb baby-school magic guy :smug:

HERE's how REAL grownups do magic

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
That second one just makes magic sound lame as hell.

Almost like it's all entirely fake, even, and that anything that happens has nothing to do with the spells you're casting or whatever.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That second one just makes magic sound lame as hell.

Almost like it's all entirely fake, even, and that anything that happens has nothing to do with the spells you're casting or whatever.

It makes magic sound a lot like prayer or positive thinking

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

loquacius posted:

It makes magic sound a lot like prayer or positive thinking

I wonder if wizards or whatever write facebook comments like "sacrificing a cat under the full moon tonight, stay strong" instead of "sending thoughts and prayers".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
The expectation: Throwing around energy balls like Goku, getting rich & all the ladies

Reality: reading books, meditating daily for 20 years, freezing rear end at crossroads at midnight and finally winning $50 in the lottery.

edit: Chaos magic approach: Jerking off until your wiener bleeds to empower a sigil, also win $50 in lottery, pay $50 for parking ticket on the same day.

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 22, 2018