Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

does thunderbolt have A Char

actually, do any of the OYW side stories have A Char besides, uh, The Char

You tell me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I mean, Io is a ruthless and yet sympathetic blond adrenaline-junkie with a unique sense of style going up against a scrappy and endearingly dorky young rival, so... I guess?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering how vicious thunderbolt represents ace oldtype pilots as, just how terrifying does that Newtype in Daryl's Acguy squadron turn out to be?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm watching the original Gundam for the first time since it ran on Toonami and I'm enjoying it. welp, see ya

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm watching the original Gundam for the first time since it ran on Toonami and I'm enjoying it. welp, see ya

Blame this on the misfortune of your birth.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Blame this on the misfortune of your birth.

I don't remember a drat thing about it and I'm on like episode 11 or so. it's fun

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Onmi posted:

Not really, the nuke is a good enough reason to form the Titans "Look at what happened because we didn't have a group in place to put a stop to these things pre-emptively." And Bask being shocked when it fails seems on point, it would only have HELPED the Titans to succeed in stopping the colony, because then they'd also be able to point to all themselves as heroes who saved the earth, but failing didn't hurt them either.

It was literally no-lose for the proto-titans.

I'm more talking about the execution of the events in a real world context. The sequence of events in the show is convoluted, but still make sense upon closer inspection. However the way the show presents these plot twists and the overall execution of everything after Konpei Island is just terrible and difficult to follow because the actual dialogue and scenes shown in the episodes do not flow well at all.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

IMO Thunderbolt is a reversal, but I haven't watched the second part yet. Io is The Char and Daryl is an Amuro analogue.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Io and Daryl are like if Char and Amuro didn't have a their weird bond and instead just loving hated each other

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The main difference between Io and Daryl and Char and Amuro is that Char and Amuro aren't incredibly boring characters.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Improbable Lobster posted:

Io and Daryl are like if Char and Amuro didn't have a their weird bond and instead just loving hated each other

That describes Amuro and Char in 0079 perfectly. Mostly because they never personally interacted until the finale, only martially. It's only in Zeta when they start interacting in person that their relationship becomes more sensual, and really I think it's only that way in Char's Counterattack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

That describes Amuro and Char in 0079 perfectly. Mostly because they never personally interacted until the finale, only martially. It's only in Zeta when they start interacting in person that their relationship becomes more sensual, and really I think it's only that way in Char's Counterattack.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Amuro and char's rivalry was mostly a matter of personal pride for most of the series. It wasn't until Lalah's death that it becomes personal.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

The main difference between Io and Daryl and Char and Amuro is that Char and Amuro aren't incredibly boring characters.

I dunno, Io is pretty endearing in S2. He’s trying so hard to be a proper hero, and he’s so bad at it. That scene where he shows up to rescue Bianca in this big, dramatic moment and then nearly kills her with an avalanche is great.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I like it a lot, especially from the Ral arc onward. I also think it's much better than the movie summaries, which wind up having weird pacing issues.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Having watched both the TV show and the movies, my biggest beefs with the movies are, in order of importance:

1. The movie dub isn't good
2. The movies don't really end on good ending moments. They're roughly at the end of arcs, but none of the movies are actually in any fashion standalone, which is kind of awkward. It's more of a 4 and a half hour long single movie

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So should I be watching the Thunderbolt movies or the OVAs?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Shinjobi posted:

So should I be watching the Thunderbolt movies or the OVAs?

The movies are compilations of the OVAs with extra footage. There's not really a reason to watch the OVAs after the movies came out.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cool, thanks

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't even think the rise of the titans was even the original end goal of the series. That felt like a back end last minute change after they realized they couldn't end the show with Gato nuking the fleet. So jamitov and bask show up out of nowhere to say "psych! It was me all along, Austin!" and the whole thing turns into a clusterfuck.

I mean, delaz wants to throw a colony at the Midwest. The federation wants to blow up the colony with a mirror laser. The mirror laser plan fails and the titan founders make their move in allowing the drop to happen basically out of nowhere. Bask looks legitimately shocked when the mirror laser fails due to Gato dicking around in the nue ziel, so I bet the "blame it on the spacenoids and seize power" angle was thought up on the spot.
While all this is happening the Albion crew stages a mutiny against Anaheim and steals a mobile armor and the Cima's pirates turn on delaz and aid the federation, only for Kou to kill them all in a moronic rage while still failing to stop Gato.

All the while Axis Zeon forces sit on the sidelines for a pointless Haman cameo and wait to see what will happen, the leave delaz forces to die by running a federation blockade to reach them.

Confusing clusterfuck is the easiest way to describe what the gently caress happened after the nuke episode.

The colony drop was never actually supposed to succeed. Jamitov's plan was to use the Gundamjack to wipe out the Titans' political enemies at Konpei Island, then to utilize the mirror laser to stop the actual colony drop and then use the Gundamjack and the failed colony drop as reasons to consolidate power and justify why the Titans need to exist. Cima turning on Delaz was planned from the beginning and was the thing that was intended to force the Delaz Fleet into surrender, since she would be taking their commanding officer and flagship hostage; no one expected Delaz and Gato to be crazy suicidal loonies. Failing to stop the colony wasn't part of the plan, nor was the Albion's presence at the battlefield at all.

Haman's presence is explained by Axis technically being bound by a ceasefire with the Federation and not being able to intervene directly in the conflict but still hanging around to pick up any survivors that manage to run the Federation gauntlet at the end. Axis is unable to help them in any way without directly entering a conflict with the Federation military, which at this point is way more powerful than anything Axis could ever hope to muster and would simply lead to Axis being destroyed.

0083 is poorly scripted in the extreme but there are pretty logical ways to explain away basically everything that happens except for Nina suddenly remembering she knows and loves Anavel Gato despite it never coming up before when they were pursuing him for 6 episodes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kanos posted:

The colony drop was never actually supposed to succeed. Jamitov's plan was to use the Gundamjack to wipe out the Titans' political enemies at Konpei Island, then to utilize the mirror laser to stop the actual colony drop and then use the Gundamjack and the failed colony drop as reasons to consolidate power and justify why the Titans need to exist. Cima turning on Delaz was planned from the beginning and was the thing that was intended to force the Delaz Fleet into surrender, since she would be taking their commanding officer and flagship hostage; no one expected Delaz and Gato to be crazy suicidal loonies. Failing to stop the colony wasn't part of the plan, nor was the Albion's presence at the battlefield at all.

Haman's presence is explained by Axis technically being bound by a ceasefire with the Federation and not being able to intervene directly in the conflict but still hanging around to pick up any survivors that manage to run the Federation gauntlet at the end. Axis is unable to help them in any way without directly entering a conflict with the Federation military, which at this point is way more powerful than anything Axis could ever hope to muster and would simply lead to Axis being destroyed.

0083 is poorly scripted in the extreme but there are pretty logical ways to explain away basically everything that happens except for Nina suddenly remembering she knows and loves Anavel Gato despite it never coming up before when they were pursuing him for 6 episodes.

See my followup to the post you quoted. My main complaints are not the sequence of events, which I get, but how inept 0083's presentation becomes after Konpei Island. I agree with you, don't get me wrong, I just find it baffling that the show fell apart as much as it did.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I honestly forgot about that moment, but at the same time, neither is aware who the other is at that time and their interaction is purely coincidental so it's not really something that's going to impact either's feelings towards the other during the series.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

I honestly forgot about that moment, but at the same time, neither is aware who the other is at that time and their interaction is purely coincidental so it's not really something that's going to impact either's feelings towards the other during the series.

Amuro knew who Char was.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

tsob posted:

Amuro knows that it's Char.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kanos posted:

The manga adaption fixes part of that, but Nina still isn't that great.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Droyer posted:

Amuro knew who Char was.

Huh, so he does. I thought he only figured it when Char told him for some reason. My apologies. Again though, Amuro is mostly trying to keep calm and not betray himself during the scene, while Char doesn't even realize who Amuro is despite Amuro giving his name so it's not really an interaction that affects their relationship throughout the show or establishes the kind of sensual dynamic that is present in Char's Counterattack. It probably helped humanize Char to Amuro, since Char is perfectly nice and reasonable during it, but Amuro was already starting to move beyond his desire to beat Char at that point and it doesn't seem to ultimately play in to why he does, since that's more that Amuro realizes that Gihren and Zeon as a whole is the real threat in the finale rather than Char before Char forces a fight.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I think that it would be pretty hard not to recognize the guy in the mask and cape as that guy in the mask and cape that tries to kill you every week

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Amuro didn't know Char wore a mask and cape. Even in that scene when Char introduces himself Amuro wonders how he knew it was Char before that point in a foreshadowing of his Newtype talents.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It has been a while since I've watched MSG

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Honestly, given how many disposable identities Char's picked up, I don't find this one particularly unbelievable.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I started the second half of Victory, and I can see the show starting to fall apart. This is sad. Is this where the second season curse originated?

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
On the one hand, I'd really like to have the UC Gundam series on Blu Ray, but on the other, they're really loving expensive. Any chance they'll get cheaper over time?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

brainwrinkle posted:

I started the second half of Victory, and I can see the show starting to fall apart. This is sad. Is this where the second season curse originated?

No but Tomino was heading through... not sure if it was 'peek' bad stuff in his life, but he clearly wasn't coping

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Improbable Lobster posted:

It has been a while since I've watched MSG

I watched the show, taking notes on how accurate Amuro's aim was in every episode and webm'ing about two dozen different scenes so that I watched parts of it several times in total only a couple of months ago (maybe 4 or 5 months) and I still wildly mis-recalled one scene and know my memory of some bits is hazy as gently caress so I wouldn't be surprised.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

Victory wasn't divided into seasons so that wouldn't make any sense

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Victory is good again after an episode where Flanders and Haro stage a daring rescue mission to save a naked Üso from bath torture

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

brainwrinkle posted:

Gundam seasons wasn't a thing until very recently with Gundam 00.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

Gundam seasons wasn't a thing until very recently with Gundam 00.

Very recently being ten years ago.