Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
Now that it's been revealed that Noctis needs to sacrifice his life to save the world, I'm just going to quote myself from earlier in the thread:

Kaasen posted:

Even FFX did a "travel the world in order to prepare for your big moment" plot better than this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

What did the crystal do? The dude went in there, listened to a monologue given by a dragon mech and got time warped to a prison with no extra powers. Was it a giant hit of bath salts?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
He was just playing his phone game for 10 years.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Marogareh posted:

I find it funny that they actually bothered to model a dirty cup noodle hat.

It was less expensive and time consuming than showing major characters dying or the empire being destroyed on screen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Please tell me the game actually forces you to walk all the way back to Hammerhead, without your car, constantly barraged by demons.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Bahamut is a Transformer now?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
How do people even like the combat in this game? It's more even boring than FF12 programmable autocombat IMO.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
people give FF12 gambit system poo poo but i thought it was a good way to automate the things you were already going to do anyway. You still need to override it during harder fights so its not like you can just afk your way to victory

unrelated
https://twitter.com/rekka236/status/976421861184618496

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I used to get annoyed by LPers failing to read text or notice plot related things happening on the screen right in front of them (before I realized that was part of the charm) but this last update was fairly magical mostly for the realization that for once I'm just as clueless as they are.

What's happened since they got on the boat? gently caress if I can explain it. I don't think anyone can.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The literal only consistent plot element I can think of since they got on the boat is Chancellor/Former King Hobo showing up to troll like a champ. Everything else has just been all over the place.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They hosed Venice to spite Hillary Clinton and blow up some of those loving dropships.
Noctis remembered that he wanted to hump his arranged bride, but only once she was dead and he'd become Goku in order to gain the power of a flying sea serpent who seems like a right fucker tbh.
They got on a train and were all mopey because girl dead, Ignis blind, Muscles sexually frustrated and Prompto still alive.
They hosed up in toxic quarry water until the blind guy remembered that explosions kill things.
They rode a train until Tom Baker the immortal time mage hosed them about.
Prompto fell off a train and it was good.
Hooters dragoon is now on our side(?) and got us another train to a place where the bad people live.
Noctis got the power of a naked lady ice sculpture who might have been loving Tom Baker(?) in his aspect of Ifrit(?).
That train got demon hosed and we wrecked the bad car.
They went into this lovely loving upside down pyramid to do some loving nonsense so Noctis could fall into a crystal egg and meet an anime robot.

Somewhere along the line Prompto was crucified, recovered, revealed he was a clone trooper and continued to be a useless gently caress some more.

Now we are in a lovely version of the future and Noctis has a really bad beard.

I don't really know why most of that happened.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Is it weird that Hobo has probably the most consistent and reasonable motivation of anyone here? He's pissed off because he got smacked down for trying to heal people so now he fucks with kings and fucks with the Gods. I get that. I get why he does the poo poo he does.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

^covers most of it, but the last part about going to Chancellor Dracula's Inverted Umbrella Lab also includes the part where Our Rival who we saw all of once face to face and never fought finally decided that we Were Worthy and was going to give us The Sword of Dad but got shived by Niel Gaiman wearing a Noct mask. Also demons are actually people with A Fantasy Bacterial Infection, the Emperor is basically Gollum and wanted the crystal for the sake of having it, even though he could do gently caress all with it besides chain it up. Then we fought Our Rival after his shiv wound got infected with demons.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

Now we are in a lovely version of the future and Noctis has a really bad beard.

You know, come to think about it, if starting to look like a hobo is a side effect of aquiring superpowers that's actually a consistent bit of worldbuilding.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

goatface posted:

Noctis got the power of a naked lady ice sculpture who might have been loving Tom Baker(?) in his aspect of Ifrit(?).

Hoboguy isn't Ifrit, Hoboguy corrupted Ifrit, pissing off Shiva so she charged the army and died. Apparently that whole pause-the-game-for-storytime bit with Shiva was added specifically because they were annoyed some people thought Hoboguy was Ifrit and wanted to explain their lore.

I assume the similar bit with Bahamut was added later too when people couldn't understand what the Hell happened.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

Kuvo posted:

people give FF12 gambit system poo poo but i thought it was a good way to automate the things you were already going to do anyway.

I never really hear people say FF12 systems suck, especially after FF13 came out and they realized how much more boring it could have been

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I assume the similar bit with Bahamut was added later too when people couldn't understand what the Hell happened.

I think that was always there, I got caught in the crystal slightly before the "easy mode / go buy Episode Gladio / skip the part of the game where Noct is trolled by Chancellor Hobo" patch came out and Bahamut was there telling you poo poo reeeeaaaallly slooooooly.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I guess after the nothing characters, story, bad audio, and singleplayer MMO game design in FFXII, being able to automate your party helped to slide all the way into brain death.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FeyerbrandX posted:

the Emperor is basically Gollum and wanted the crystal for the sake of having it, even though he could do gently caress all with it besides chain it up.

I think we can assume the chancellor lied to the Emperor and hosed with his head by infecting him with demon bacteria to turn him into a puppet.

Everything on the Noct side of things is stupid, but really, the chancellor seems to be pretty consistent.

He sacrificed everything to heal his people, was denied his crown by the gods because he put his people above them, had to watch his throne taken by usurpers (Noct's ancestors), went mad and decided to end the world by being the biggest trolliest jerk in history.

I can respect that.

But, because this is a FF game, he couldn't just roll in and curb stomp the pretty boy, he had to make him a worthy opponent, so he helped the clueless chump every step of the way and even handed him the Crystal to make sure he's as powerful as possible.

All that's left is whether he actually cares about ending the world or just wants Noct to become powerful enough to be able to actually kill him so it can all be over.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Oops, double post.

Is there a DLC or anything to explain how Noct got to the prison island, or how the boat ended up there despite the fact that the last time we saw read about it, it was moored off the Empire's coast?

Also, how did the person who drove the boat there get back to shore?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 22, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gorilla Salad posted:

But, because this is a FF game, he couldn't just roll in and curb stomp the pretty boy, he had to make him a worthy opponent, so he helped the clueless chump every step of the way and even handed him the Crystal to make sure he's as powerful as possible.

All that's left is whether he actually cares about ending the world or just wants Noct to become powerful enough to be able to actually kill him so it can all be over.

I kind of suspect it's the latter. You know, win-win. Either the stupid little bastard ends the infection he worked to stop and also dies while putting him to rest, or he gets his revenge on everything.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oops, double post.

Is there a DLC or anything to explain how Noct got to the prison island, or how the boat ended up there despite the fact that the last time we saw read about it, it was moored off the Empire's coast?

Also, how did the person who drove the boat there get back to shore?

Well the multiplayer DLC takes place during the World of Ruin timeskip. So I wouldn't be surprised if they threw an explanation for that somewhere in its story, but I never touched it beyond the first quest.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
FF12's gambit system was only bad because it highlighted that most combat in the game (and also basically any given JRPG) is totally braindead and a waste of time. On the plus side, gambits automated grinding and allowed you almost perfect control of your AI battle partners. Taking on all the hunts and super bosses taught me to appreciate how many routine actions were automatic because those fights were already plenty hectic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The first or second form of the XII final boss (the one with a swarm of swords) seems to be specifically built for "screw your targeting gambits" and I can't tell if that's clever or just annoying.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Let's have a conversation about the Zodiac Spear

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Even with the explanations my understanding of the plot is basically demons bad emperor bad Noctis some sort of martyr damnit I want the stupid car back.

No loving idea what the homeless man is.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I watched the cutscene segments again just to try and get a better idea of what was actually going on and I had to laugh out loud at the realization of just how hard the game is trying to push the idea of this passive personality-less pretty boy as some kind of Christ figure.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

i81icu812 posted:

What the hell is going on

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So much of this loving idiot story relies on characters who have absolutely no personality or charisma.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
People can't criticize your plot not making sense if you don't have a plot. :smug:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

EagerSleeper posted:

People can't criticize your plot not making sense if you don't have a plot. :smug:

I gaurangoddamntee you that if the plot had just been 'boyband goes on a road trip' without any of this nonsense people would have preferred it.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

Night10194 posted:

I gaurangoddamntee you that if the plot had just been 'boyband goes on a road trip' without any of this nonsense people would have preferred it.

That's because that is literally a better plot than this. To be fair though, a lot of people (with really bad taste in my opinion) DO somehow like this story so what do I know

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It's a struggle to find a good thing to say about the characters themselves. They are so blank and unexplained, like the game expects you to have seen something else outside of it. I'm surprised the voice talent could put any amount of emotion into what they say.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
It's pretty pointless though, because each character only ever portrays their default "emotion" regardless of what's happening around them. Could you imagine what the voice direction was like while they were recording this?

"Read the next line, please. :downs:"

"Alright, what's the tone for this one? :colbert:"

".. Tone? :confused:"

"You know, in the scene. My character was just blinded somehow. What is he feeling? :colbert:"

"Fee-ling...? :confused:"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bocc Kob posted:

It's pretty pointless though, because each character only ever portrays their default "emotion" regardless of what's happening around them. Could you imagine what the voice direction was like while they were recording this?

"Read the next line, please. :downs:"

"Alright, what's the tone for this one? :colbert:"

".. Tone? :confused:"

"You know, in the scene. My character was just blinded somehow. What is he feeling? :colbert:"

"Fee-ling...? :confused:"

"British?" :downs:

"That's not an emotion, that's an accent." :colbert:

"Lamp?" :downs:

"That's a thing, it's right behind me. You've been looking at it for the last 4 minutes." :colbert:

"You've come to the end of the known world, you break down and weep because there are no more recipes to come up with." :downs:

"That... that's okay. Fine, I'll go with that." :ughh:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Night10194 posted:

That would've been better, but it wouldn't be Final Fantasy.

Although to be honest, "bachelor party" would be a pretty excellent way to end the series.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

topiKal posted:

That's because that is literally a better plot than this. To be fair though, a lot of people (with really bad taste in my opinion) DO somehow like this story so what do I know

Zenostein posted:

That would've been better, but it wouldn't be Final Fantasy.

Although to be honest, "bachelor party" would be a pretty excellent way to end the series.

they're a boyband on a road trip to see something something crystals bam, got it.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Four broskis in a car traveling around the country and charging up JO crystals along the way.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

EagerSleeper posted:

Four broskis in a car traveling around the country and charging up JO crystals along the way.

THIS was the game I would have paid full price for, and I'm very glad I held off to see that instead it was "four cardboard cutouts experience a bunch of nonsense"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Four bros go driving around. Hear rumors about a dead body and go and find it.

Or, if you want me to be more serious, have the ancestral weapons be more plot relevant besides "quickly forgotten macguffin" Like, I don't know, you need X-many of them to jab into a given summon jerk to make them obey you, then wreck the poo poo out of the Empire. If you don't have all the weapons you get the neutral ending where congrats, revenge is had and you go back home as king. If you did have all the weapons, I dunno, maybe Bahamut shows up, considers you're too powerful and then you have to fight him as the optional superboss for the ending where you decide that you no longer want to be a pawn of the gods oh wait that's FFXII and XIII abort abort good ending.

I am not entirely sure how you can consider the good ending to be the one that results in you subjecting yourself to more FFXV.

e: or have Magic Time Dog more relevant besides "go back to wrap up sidequests rather than continue being in Venice or Mordor" Maybe feed him scooby snacks until he's able to time warp you back to when the invasion happened and save King Dad and the world.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 25, 2018

• Locked thread