Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

How does the worship of Talos as a Divine correspond to the Aurbis wheel? He's not on there, so he shouldn't count, right?

Talos represents Lorkhan, the missing god. Each of the eight spokes in the wheel represents an Aedra who gave up most of their own essence and power in order to create the world. Lorkhan didn't give anything up, so he's not a spoke; but he did convince the other eight to sacrifice themselves in the first place, so you might say that he's the only reason the wheel even exists and he's like, the hub or something.

But the daedra were around for the whole Lorkhan thing, and they taught Vivec and Mankar Camoran Lorkhan's Big Secret: if you turn that wheel sideways, you get an "I". That's CHIM, and that's why Lorkhan bamboozled his friends into creating the Aurbis in the first place - so that any mortal (like Tiber Septim) could become a god (like Talos) through the power of his own ego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The true secret of CHIM: it is actually CHOM

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's actually CHOOM

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

TresTristesTigres posted:

Talos represents Lorkhan, the missing god. Each of the eight spokes in the wheel represents an Aedra who gave up most of their own essence and power in order to create the world. Lorkhan didn't give anything up, so he's not a spoke; but he did convince the other eight to sacrifice themselves in the first place, so you might say that he's the only reason the wheel even exists and he's like, the hub or something.

But the daedra were around for the whole Lorkhan thing, and they taught Vivec and Mankar Camoran Lorkhan's Big Secret: if you turn that wheel sideways, you get an "I". That's CHIM, and that's why Lorkhan bamboozled his friends into creating the Aurbis in the first place - so that any mortal (like Tiber Septim) could become a god (like Talos) through the power of his own ego.

Lets not forget that Lorkhan is the god of Space, and Akatosh is the god of Time. Remember what physics teaches us about space and time...

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Lets not forget that Lorkhan is the god of Space, and Akatosh is the god of Time. Remember what physics teaches us about space and time...

Didn't that Talos->Lorkan->Akatosh->Talos image get posted like two pages ago?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

I love that the "I" can be read as both a first person singular or an input prompt.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
Found this googling the lore. It's a lore conversation from a wiki, but seems to check out?

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:725784#24 posted:

Akatosh was "created" by slapping Auriel and Shor together during the first era. Eagle and snake make dragon. Talos was both Shezzarine and Dragonborn. The Last Dragonborn is both Shezzarine and Dragonborn. There are several instances of this. Because being Dragonborn is very similar to being Shezzarine. Akatosh is a very Man aligned deity for being a mer one don't you think? Well that's because Auriel is the mer time god, not Akatosh. Akatosh is the god of spacetime. Lorkhan (space) and Aka (time).

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah but I just think exploring the difference between them is more compelling than a big Scooby-Doo reveal of "It looks like Lorkhan was just old man Akatosh all along!"

I'd rather have the whole Gray Maybe concept, where the distinction between opposite things in TES is what gives them meaning. Otherwise it's just Akatoshes all the way down, like in this excellent post which I abbreviated below but you should click and read the whole thing:

SunAndSpring posted:

So if you think about it, the plot of Skyrim is the following:

Akatosh, who is also Lorkhan, sends his soul into a human, Miraak, to stop Alduin, who is Akatosh, from destroying the world. Miraak, however, is a lazy gently caress and doesn't do it, instead joining up with Hermaeus Mora, who is left-overs of Akatosh. So centuries later, Akatosh chooses another person to share his soul, the Last Dragonborn, to stop Akatosh from enslaving/devouring mankind because Akatosh is currently serving Akatosh's left-overs instead of Akatosh, and secretly Akatosh is planning to become Akatosh. Luckily for everyone, Akatosh stops Akatosh from achieving his goals.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Otherwise it's just Akatoshes all the way down, like in this excellent post which I abbreviated below but you should click and read the whole thing:

Isn't this exactly how the christian father-son-holy spirit trinity works? And it depends on your denomination whether they are all the same thing or seperate beings/forces whatever.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
It's probably never going to happen, but i would loving love a main quest or faction line that goes hard into CHIM, and metaphysical fourth wall breaking poo poo in the next game.

The more convoluted the better, I want brains leaking out of my ears by the end of it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The Shivering Isles main quest is probably the most direct esoteric concepts of divine self and mirror-brothers have been addressed within the games. The easy answer is ”Your guy becomes Sheogorath” when it’s probably more accurate to say ”Your guy joins Sheogorath, Jyggalag and countless others in being Sheogorath all at once”

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Flinger posted:

Isn't this exactly how the christian father-son-holy spirit trinity works? And it depends on your denomination whether they are all the same thing or seperate beings/forces whatever.

Not quite, since the holy trinity are all supposedly acting towards the same goal, with each-other. Definitely more of a Hindu thing where all the gods are actually just one.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah but I just think exploring the difference between them is more compelling than a big Scooby-Doo reveal of "It looks like Lorkhan was just old man Akatosh all along!"

More along the lines of Sheogorath/Jyggalag IMHO.

And holy poo poo, the whole of SI could be a renactment/mantling.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
My chief thing about Kirkbride is that his lore adds immensely to the games and is fun, but by and large I don't take it very seriously.

The biggest difference between TES and other games is that not everything in TES is true, and not everything has an answer. Kirkbride writes esoteric and confusing lore because he enjoys it, not because he's In Control of anything.

Do I personally believe Talos wasn't Dragonborn and Wulfharth just latched onto him? No. Tiber Septim was Dragonborn.

Most of what MK writes is a fun way to in-universe explain retcons. The Tiber Septim/Wulfharth/Arctus thing was just an attempt to explain why Tiber Septim wasn't a god in Daggerfall but then was in Morrowind.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Monkey Truth is the best principle when reading lore. There's no absolute truth so believe in the explanation you find the most fun

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I still think Vivec knowing that he was in a game (or rather, some sort of controlled, repeating, constructed reality) was super neat.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Jedrick posted:

It's probably never going to happen, but i would loving love a main quest or faction line that goes hard into CHIM, and metaphysical fourth wall breaking poo poo in the next game.

The more convoluted the better, I want brains leaking out of my ears by the end of it.

Most you'll get is M'aiq making fun of it.

Which is good because chim is a stupid joke people take way too seriously.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bholder posted:

it's, uh, it's not a joke

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Jazerus posted:

it's, uh, it's not a joke

It’s a bunch of nerds taking the console way too seriously.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Fuckin' nerds.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lyKxKn_WsE

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SunAndSpring posted:

Akatosh, who is also Lorkhan, sends his soul into a human, Miraak, to stop Alduin, who is Akatosh, from destroying the world. Miraak, however, is a lazy gently caress and doesn't do it, instead joining up with Hermaeus Mora, who is left-overs of Akatosh. So centuries later, Akatosh chooses another person to share his soul, the Last Dragonborn, to stop Akatosh from enslaving/devouring mankind because Akatosh is currently serving Akatosh's left-overs instead of Akatosh, and secretly Akatosh is planning to become Akatosh. Luckily for everyone, Akatosh stops Akatosh from achieving his goals.

Ia! Ia! Nyarlathotep!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still think Vivec knowing that he was in a game (or rather, some sort of controlled, repeating, constructed reality) was super neat.

I kind of wish they had gone even further with it, and gave him unique dialogue when his cell is modified.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Without the esoteric lore I'd have zero interest in TES anymore so I'm going to take it seriously all I want

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

SunAndSpring posted:

Tzeentch works in mysterious, and often utterly batshit and self-contradictory ways.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

akatosh goes on wicked benders sometimes and knows he becomes a bit of an rear end in a top hat so he has some backup plans for when he goes bonkers and wants to melt everything
"if i start to undo existence just smack me around a bit, thanks"

its canon, folks

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
IN CASE OF RAGNAROK BREAK JORMUNGLASS

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Ojjeorago posted:

It's a bunch of nerds taking the console way too seriously.

"chim is the console" is bad and not fun.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

TES cosmology is for sure about people coping with existing in a world that’s not truly independently real, but it’s absolutely an in-universe thing as well not just a ”hey they know they’re in a game” joke. It’s a valid interpretation but adamantly clinging to disregarding all the narrative elements that stem from it is crippling the full scope of what TES can potentially be about thematically.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Considering every game consists of some poor bastard being mantled either while in prison or on the verge of death, and then embarking on an insane journey touched by every cosmic being in existence while performing feats of impossible physical and/or magical prowess...its not too hard to believe that while that isn't happening, Khajiit are making a cat tower to the moons.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 23, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Not only is CHIM cool and good, but also they should have doubled down on it and made it impossible to defeat Dagoth in-game, requiring the player enter the construction kit to delete him from the game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Bholder posted:

Ojjeorago posted:

It’s a bunch of nerds taking the console way too seriously.

Did it hurt when you gave up your soul? More or less than when you burnt away your capacity to feel joy?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Some shameful goons in this thread who don't even understand that Vivec doesn't have access to the console, yet he knows CHIM

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEj79TpDCgc

real tracks right here

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Neurolimal posted:

Not only is CHIM cool and good, but also they should have doubled down on it and made it impossible to defeat Dagoth in-game, requiring the player enter the construction kit to delete him from the game.

:hf:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

i'm considering my mod for the may modathon in making essentially a hell puzzle that requires digging into the cs to even make it possible to complete. puzzles that when you solve them spell out a dropbox url to download the second part of the mod etc

its gonna use mwse lua for even more wacky stuff

edit: or I'll just make the mwse character exporter that lets you export your nerevarine and fight them in skyrim

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

edit: or I'll just make the mwse character exporter that lets you export your nerevarine and fight them in skyrim

:eyepop: Ho ho ho is this a real thing?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

:eyepop: Ho ho ho is this a real thing?

not yet it isn't

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

How would it map skills?

Would you average weapon skills for one handed and two handed and just allow perk distribution? Or take the highest highest weapon skill and associate it with either one handed or two handed weapons based off predefined settings (spears = twohanded, short swords = two handed, long swords = one handed, etc)

Would repair map directly to smithing?
Would armor skills in skyrim be equated as the average between their respective skill and medium armor, or would medium just be ignored?

Would high unarmored skill in morrowind grant that one alteration perk that doubles armor spell values?

What would you do with mysticism and hand to hand? Just ignore them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I'm a professional, you'll see

It helps to know the person writing mwse