Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
To clarify half the intent of that post was lashing out at the thought of Trump’s latest nuclear-strapped appointments having an upside to the extent that its open chaos would yield electoral gains. The field could be packed with everyone from Keith Ellison to the reanimated corpse of Williams Jenning Bryant and it would still seem like a demented train of thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Wait, Pompeo and Haspel is where you draw the line? This is the thing you're gonna be pissed at?

It's a pretty legit thing to be pissed at. Why is that weird/unjustified, in your opinion?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Majorian posted:

It's a pretty legit thing to be pissed at. Why is that weird/unjustified, in your opinion?

I think they're making the case that anyone who's not already at MAXIMUM PISSED OFF LEVEL before this is insufficiently woke or some poo poo. Which is fair, but at the same time, I'd hope literally everyone can come together and agree torture is wrong, regardless of what other horrible viewpoints they might hold.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

PT6A posted:

I think they're making the case that anyone who's not already at MAXIMUM PISSED OFF LEVEL before this is insufficiently woke or some poo poo. Which is fair, but at the same time, I'd hope literally everyone can come together and agree torture is wrong, regardless of what other horrible viewpoints they might hold.

i agree, centrists are pretty bad for not being maximum pissed off level at the dems for all the trump poo poo they've let go through without a peep

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Rent-A-Cop posted:

gently caress legitimizing a rigged vote. Stay home and load magazines for the revolution.
Well sure, do that, but also infiltrate the Democratic party.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PT6A posted:

:agreed: Plus a lot of people just aren't that politically aware. If some of them draw their line in the sand at, "Trump nominates an outright torturer for CIA chief," welp, I'm not gonna turn them away.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Majorian posted:

:agreed: Plus a lot of people just aren't that politically aware. If some of them draw their line in the sand at, "Trump nominates an outright torturer for CIA chief," welp, I'm not gonna turn them away.

I'm just surprised anyone can have a surge of anger higher than what they constantly have with everything going on, tbh. That's fair, but everyone on this forum is probably politically aware enough to know about a lot of this stuff, though, so I have a higher standard for how angry people should be here than in the real world where the most popular defense mechanism is to just not talk about it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Haspel has already been the Deputy Director of the CIA for the past year, and has held higher ranking positions within it since the incident. If you didn't care, or probably didn't even know or think about it, about her roles in the CIA before this then her being appointed to Director doesn't really change much at this point and you're basically acknowledge that your outrage has time limits, which is exactly the kind that every politician ignores.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

nessin posted:

Haspel has already been the Deputy Director of the CIA for the past year, and has held higher ranking positions within it since the incident. If you didn't care, or probably didn't even know or think about it, about her roles in the CIA before this then her being appointed to Director doesn't really change much at this point and you're basically acknowledge that your outrage has time limits, which is exactly the kind that every politician ignores.

Yeah, no one had ever heard about the CIA torture scandal or the scandal where videotapes where destroyed. No one ever mentions Obama's decision not to prosecute torturers.. It's all manufactured outrage now.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

nessin posted:

Everyone's outrage has time limits because eventually they die. Corporations do not die. I agree.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kilroy posted:

Everyone's outrage has time limits because eventually they die. Corporations do not die. I agree.

But have you considered that corporations... Are people, my friend?

:getin:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Rappaport posted:

But have you considered that corporations... Are people, my friend?

:getin:

We should declare them legally dead because a pulse cannot be found and seize all assets to be redistributed by the government.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Kilroy posted:

Corporations do not die. I agree.

RIP Arthur Andersen, LLP (wrongly executed at that).

It's also worth noting that the Haspel narrative is based on fake news: Correction: Trump’s Pick to Head CIA Did Not Oversee Waterboarding of Abu Zubaydah

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Good to know she's only regular CIA-evil and not insane Cheney-evil

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

gaj70 posted:

RIP Arthur Andersen, LLP (wrongly executed at that).

It's also worth noting that the Haspel narrative is based on fake news: Correction: Trump’s Pick to Head CIA Did Not Oversee Waterboarding of Abu Zubaydah

THank God, CIA is back to being a friend to the people, and to #Resistance

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I feel like a lot of that apathy for Haspel comes from too much poo poo at once. Like, yeah it’s a problem, but so is healthcare, immigration, defense spending, women’s rights, police brutality, the blatant white supremacy in the White House, repeal of Dodd Frank, and Bolton’s possible nuclear war with NK. That’s a lot of poo poo to be angry about and only so many hours in the day to get angry with.

edit: Let's just make a list of everything to be angry about, because no one really disagrees with "the head of the CIA probably shouldn't be a torturer," and then we won't forget all the poo poo to be angry about and if you forget something but it's on the list just assume your allies know what you should be angry about and be angry about it when they ask you to. No one person can keep track of all this poo poo all the time. Work in shifts.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 16, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Look if you didn't FOIA the government for every piece of documentation related to CIA torture programs that you could find, commit a list of all torturers to memory, and then go on record complaining about each one of them by name every day they were still employed by the government, then you don't get to be mad if one is made the director of the whole agency.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Look if you didn't FOIA the government for every piece of documentation related to CIA torture programs that you could find, commit a list of all torturers to memory, and then go on record complaining about each one of them by name every day they were still employed by the government, then you don't get to be mad if one is made the director of the whole agency.

You do that and I will be mad with you when it comes up. Let’s delegate some anger here.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

VitalSigns posted:

He's not defending Haspel or people who support the pick, just giving an explanation for the apathy of some people who might otherwise be outraged.

There's nothing in LITERALLY MY FETISH's post to suggest he thinks it unreasonable to be angry about the Haspel pick.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh that wasn't a response to LITERALLY MY FETISH, I was responding to this

nessin posted:

Sorry for the confusion

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

tbh I can barely parse what nessin is saying there.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Here in Vermont, we've had some chucklefucks making these "News Done Right" videos about local issues, basically making fun of the state for being progressive. Ex:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDjiNS75GOI
https://www.newsdoneright.com/

They claimed for a long time to be self-funded Vermonters; however, a local paper is suing to find out who they actually are, because these people are professional actors who have been dox'd as out of staters, and the site itself has ties to conservative professor Howard Wall, and possibly to Koch money

http://digital.vpr.net/post/vt-satire-videos-pay-views-may-be-produced-out-state
https://www.reddit.com/r/vermont/comments/85zj90/heres_the_fan_club_guy_his_name_is_marin_scodone/

Not a huge issue, but an obnoxiously local one for me.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I would say vermont is pretty safe. They have only sixty more fallowers then my troll account does on Twitter.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 23, 2018

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
(Wrong thread)

farraday fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 23, 2018

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Here in Vermont, we've had some chucklefucks making these "News Done Right" videos about local issues, basically making fun of the state for being progressive. Ex:

They claimed for a long time to be self-funded Vermonters; however, a local paper is suing to find out who they actually are, because these people are professional actors who have been dox'd as out of staters, and the site itself has ties to conservative professor Howard Wall, and possibly to Koch money

http://digital.vpr.net/post/vt-satire-videos-pay-views-may-be-produced-out-state
https://www.reddit.com/r/vermont/comments/85zj90/heres_the_fan_club_guy_his_name_is_marin_scodone/

quote:

In an email exchange with this reporter, Wall said he sold the domain "months ago" and knows nothing about News Done Right. He declined to identify the buyer. Asked why his name was still listed as the owner in December, he responded: "No, I was not [the owner] ... Your information is incorrect. Go gently caress yourself."

Just the best people.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Tim Raines IRL posted:

this couldn't look more astroturfed if you had a koch brother stare into camera and say "I am funding this."

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's Called Weather

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Muppets On PCP posted:

It's Called Weather

*brings a snowball into the Senate, makes some dumb statement about climate change being a hoax because of that snowball, looks smug, poops self*

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Crowsbeak posted:

I would say vermont is pretty safe. They have only sixty more fallowers then my troll account does on Twitter.

Imagine the figure for production expenses and the salaries involved, divided by number of twitter followers.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I saw this in the paper. Didn't realize it was so bad. Where's a good place to connect for Vermont politics?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
JC please come in here and continue to delight us with you explanations of why giving money to a pig is cool and good

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Eric Holder was on Desus and Mero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZNK-8lNZwA

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

edit: wrong thread but keep it

omg quote is not edit, gently caress me

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

gross

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Koalas March posted:

if you're ever de-moded it'll be for doing this.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Koalas March posted:

edit: wrong thread but keep it

Freakazoid_ posted:

if you're ever de-moded it'll be for doing this.

And even if you're not, you'll never hold the same amount of respect ever again.

The jig is up, KM.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

R. Guyovich posted:

Reserved for photos of Stalin.

jesus gently caress I'm posting in D&D :negative:

can I sub your keyword for a picture of J. B. PRITZKER

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 7, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Majorian posted:

And even if you're not, you'll never hold the same amount of respect ever again.

The jig is up, KM.

Look don't hold getting stoned af and posting against me.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Koalas March posted:

Look don't hold getting stoned af and posting against me.

Let they who has not quoted instead of edited cast the first stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I have chosen this picture as it reinforces that he looks like a fat as hell Blagojevich

• Locked thread