Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Low-Pass Filter posted:

I've worked with one of these things before; slap it on continuous rotation servo, or somethign with a slip-ring, and you can make a little room scanner!

https://www.robotshop.com/en/lidar-...pIaAlyVEALw_wcB

They're like $150.

One of the customers at my computer shop was a marble and granite shop, and they had one of these too. theyd put it on a tripod, let it scan the room and it would drive the marble countertop saws to cut the exact profile of your walls on the back edge so you didnt have any gaps.

I helped them fix it one day when a wire came loose. soldering iron and everything. they were amazed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

go play outside Skyler posted:

i want to play with a fuckin' lidar now

pretty much any surveying company will have one these days, the tech got cheap

gently caress you if you need to store point cloud data for them, though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also this one was good too but i think the amazon thread is dead now

https://twitter.com/cashbonez/status/976707778596057088

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Low-Pass Filter posted:

I've worked with one of these things before; slap it on continuous rotation servo, or somethign with a slip-ring, and you can make a little room scanner!

They're like $150.

or just buy a used kinect

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

same

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

well, "cheap" means it's dropped from 1.5 Million to $150k. Survey grade poo poo is $$$$

but yeah, you bring up a good point, often acquiring data is easy/cheap, but manipulating it in a meaningful way is both very expensive and very time consuming.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

we’re finally getting lidar imagery for the municipality i work for. i can’t loving wait to start playing with it.

i wonder how pissed the IT guy would be if i tried to generate and store a 36 square mile point cloud.....

:thunk:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

yeah i remember back in like 2011 when it was the hot new thing now that it had gotten cheap enough to take off of an airplane and mount onto a 4-wheeler for $insane

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Low-Pass Filter posted:

They're like $150.

i wish i had any reason at all to own and use a lidar

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

President Beep posted:

we’re finally getting lidar imagery for the municipality i work for. i can’t loving wait to start playing with it.

i wonder how pissed the IT guy would be if i tried to generate and store a 36 square mile point cloud.....

:thunk:

If I remember right a single building will clock in at somewhere around 50gb for standard resolution surveying. You can probably get away lower res depending on your needs but you're going to probably need tens to hundreds of TB in storage arrays to house that scale of surveying and big loving SDD scratch disks on the workstations to copy them to when they're being manipulated

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

If I remember right a single building will clock in at somewhere around 50gb for standard resolution surveying. You can probably get away lower res depending on your needs but you're going to probably need tens to hundreds of TB in storage arrays to house that scale of surveying and big loving SDD scratch disks on the workstations to copy them to when they're being manipulated

lol. gently caress.

i knew it’d be big...

e: at least i can make those sweet, sweet hillshades. way better than the low-res DEM that i’m stuck with currently.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nevermind trying to render the point clouds

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007

infernal machines posted:

or just buy a used kinect

kinects are cool as poo poo too, but they're not lidar. they project a specfic dot pattern in infrared onto things, then use a pair or IR cameras a set distance apart, then derive distance or depth using triangulation.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, i guess it comes down to what you want it for, i meant in terms of "thing i can plug in and use to make a 3d map of a space for very cheap"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
kinect: the product that tanked so hard apple decided to cram it into their phones

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

nevermind trying to render the point clouds

That part isn't too bad. This was a couple years ago but memory consumption was floating around 4gb for the viewer. It's going to depend on what the scale of your dataset is but the captures do multiple passes at different resolutions and what pass you is loaded in ram is dictated by the zoom level. That could vary based what software you are using, but it was very doable on mid-range hardware five years ago. The biggest issue was it thrashing disk to read new points when you changed zoom level, that's where the SSD comes in.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

yeah, i guess it comes down to what you want it for, i meant in terms of "thing i can plug in and use to make a 3d map of a space for very cheap"

kinects aren't calibrated and don't hold calibrations well if you try iirc

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Post-Sandy NOAA and USGS teamed up to do a full aerial LIDAR scan of NYC, so if you want to fuss around with a huge chunk data, go nuts: https://coast.noaa.gov/htdata/lidar1_z/geoid12b/data/4920/

After duct taping together a bunch of GIS apps developed by grad students, I got the data into a format I could use to do RF antenna coverage simulation and it was rad.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
thats awesome

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
for generating point clouds, regular cameras end up working quite well if you fly them low enough in a drone or something. Quite a lot cheaper and more durable than LiDAR, and certainly accurate enough for DEMS or other municipal level stuff.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jimmy Carter posted:

Post-Sandy NOAA and USGS teamed up to do a full aerial LIDAR scan of NYC, so if you want to fuss around with a huge chunk data, go nuts: https://coast.noaa.gov/htdata/lidar1_z/geoid12b/data/4920/

After duct taping together a bunch of GIS apps developed by grad students, I got the data into a format I could use to do RF antenna coverage simulation and it was rad.

back when i was practicing there i used the louisiana statewide lidar maps for ad-hoc topographic information before we could send the surveyors out to a site

idk if they're still the only state that has them publicly available but they've certainly had them the longest

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

back when i was practicing there i used the louisiana statewide lidar maps for ad-hoc topographic information before we could send the surveyors out to a site

idk if they're still the only state that has them publicly available but they've certainly had them the longest

a few years back i heard that michigan had something like that in the works. haven’t seen it yet though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Low-Pass Filter posted:

kinects are cool as poo poo too, but they're not lidar. they project a specfic dot pattern in infrared onto things, then use a pair or IR cameras a set distance apart, then derive distance or depth using triangulation.

that was how the first kinect for xbox 360 worked, the kinect 2 for xbox one was specifically described as a time of flight sensor

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
woah cool didnt know they made a 2.0. If they still have that decent SDK, i should pick one up to play with!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Low-Pass Filter posted:

woah cool didnt know they made a 2.0. If they still have that decent SDK, i should pick one up to play with!

they were packed with every xbone so they're probably pretty cheap

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think the v2 ones had hardware drm that specifically prevent them from being used as a standard usb device though

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Low-Pass Filter posted:

it doesn't meaure "brightness" at all; it measures the % amplitude of returned pulse. It uses this in conjunction with time of flight, and a shitload of DSP to determine if it's looking at something kind of reflective, or if it's shooting though, say, a bush, and each leaf will return part of the pulse. It can use this to return multiple "depths" from one pulse. It's real cool poo poo.

e: heres an example of a lidar return that likely went through a tree or something, returning multiple targets.

I wonder if it would mess up on the bike wheels. like it would get signals from the spokes and rims but also the road behind it.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
it would certainly get returns from the wheels/spokes as well as the road behind it. That doesn't mess it up in any way though; it would simply say "hey i got something that returned X% of the pulse at distance 10 meters (bike parts), and something that returned 80% of the pulse at 50 meters (road) or whatever. Do this tens of of thousands of times a second, and you can get a decent idea of whats there.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
i'm glossing over stuff, in reality, you have to manage a bunch of specifications like beam width, field of view, number of lasers, type of lasers, angular resolution, what the expected range of objects is, refresh rate, rotation rate, and other stuff.

certainly though, passing a bike wheel in front of a $80,000 lidar won't make it freak out. If it does, then, uh, they certainly shouldnt be used as mission critical sensors.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

they were packed with every xbone so they're probably pretty cheap

except microsoft discontinued it. it feels like they kind of never really finished the product as a whole.

the sdk is working but most tutorials on the net are not up-to-date. it's kind of hard to get started with it.

also, since it's abandoned, most robotics labs are hoarding them and it's getting more and more difficult to find. especially the kinect v2 to PC adapter.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just strap shaggar to the front of your car, when you hear the 108 dB screeching, a bicycle is ahead

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

how exactly are these vehicles parsing and processing that amount of data quickly enough for it to be useful for driving?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Shifty Pony posted:

how exactly are these vehicles parsing and processing that amount of data quickly enough for it to be useful for driving?

as recent events have shown, not very well

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

lots of GPUs

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Jonny 290 posted:

just strap shaggar to the front of your car, when you hear the 108 dB screeching, a bicycle is ahead

lmao

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

probably keeping a very narrow context and throwing tons of information away and hoping complex algorithms can make up for it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i remember years ago when lidar got cheaper our engineering department at my old job was really happy because they could just strap one on a truck and survey all kinds of information about our infrastructure just driving it down our routes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

that was how the first kinect for xbox 360 worked, the kinect 2 for xbox one was specifically described as a time of flight sensor

yep and i only figured that out after i impulse bought a used kinect 1 at a pawn shop to play with, thinking it was the latter :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lancemantis posted:

probably keeping a very narrow context and throwing tons of information away and hoping complex algorithms can make up for it

so neural networks, then