Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Holy poo poo, I just found out that Pompeo, the incoming US Secretary of State who's going to have to negotiate delicate situations with Turkey, tagged Erdogan on twitter and called him a totalitarian Islamist dictator after the coup attempt. That's a pretty bad starting point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Pompeo is a known Islamophobe. Of course he is correct about Erdogan. Broken clock ect.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Totalitarian is a bit much. I wouldn't even call Putin that. Plus while he is an Islamist, I think calling him an Islamist dictator is misleading since his dictatorial instincts seem to have more to do with his personal power than turning Turkey into an Islamist state (which he obviously would like on some level, but he's not going to turn the country into Iran).

Speaking of Putin, Russia seems to have bombed a school in Idlib today, and then the shelter the kids evacuated to after that bombing.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 21, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Holy poo poo, I just found out that Pompeo, the incoming US Secretary of State who's going to have to negotiate delicate situations with Turkey, tagged Erdogan on twitter and called him a totalitarian Islamist dictator after the coup attempt. That's a pretty bad starting point!
I mean, at least you can't blame him for lying* in this instance, unlike a lot of other people in the current administration.

* Possibly exaggerating a bit though.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 21, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The empire bit comes from the territories/countries it controls but which have no ability to influence back in the way states/people within the US can.

Like Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, Canada, Mexico, the European Union....

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't thinkanybody is denying the US is externally an empire.

fafish
May 10, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Like Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, Canada, Mexico, the European Union....

More or less all of these people are being asked once in a while and are cool with this.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/976480077453123584

https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/976483409412411393

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/976364542304415744

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

fafish posted:

More or less all of these people are being asked once in a while and are cool with this.
You can be (more or less) willingly part of the empire, while still not being part of the metropole.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

CrazyLoon posted:

Or it could just be people mixing up the terms 'empire' and 'imperialism' willy nilly.

I meant authority not 'territory.' The difference for between "empire" and "state" is that a state's authority is territorially bounded, empire's claim authority over all. It's the same reason states didn't really exist in europe until the church was reined in, the church was functionally bounded, not territorially.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Neat:
https://twitter.com/IraqiExpat/status/976150223604125698

quote:

First Iraqi Arab leader to ever address Kurds in their own language. Abadi congratulates Iraqi Kurds on the occasion of Newroz.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Looks like the Saudis and UAE didn't appreciate Tillerson not backing the insane position they got Trump/Kushner to push on Qatar.

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/976510102025965568

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.la-croix.com/Monde/Moyen-Orient/chute-dAfrin-derniers-yezidis-Syrie-disparaissent-2018-03-21-1200923351

The last Yezidi community in Syria disappeared with the fall of Afrin. 50 000 people have fled to Sinjar in Iraq, and they do not think they'll ever be able to return. The jihadists backed by Syria have destroyed Yezidi mausoleums and temples as they captured villages and looted everything they could. In total, 150 000 people have been evacuated from Afrin by Kurdish authorities before it fell, a number of which were already refugees who had found shelter in Afrin after fleeing Daesh elsewhere.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This Kushner poo poo looks really bad.

https://twitter.com/Ali_Gharib/status/976582963025637377

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/DionNissenbaum/status/976672026151792640

a strange coincidence :thunk:

e:

Also, ex-prez Sarkozy sees this Kushner catastrophe and says hold my bière

http://www.france24.com/en/20180321-sarkozy-placed-under-formal-investigation-illegal-campaign-financing-libya-gaddafi

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 22, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Speaking of which, has the government been cracking down on the Kurds after they ousted Barzani and independence supporters, or are things peaceful?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

I watched that video and it's all in Arabic except for the broken part from 0:27 to the end. I guess it's a nice gesture, but obvious he's reading some phonetic set of words that he hasn't even memorized or practiced enough to say fluidly.

I guess it's a nice gesture though, like Kennedy's "Ick been ain bear leaner"

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

steinrokkan posted:

Speaking of which, has the government been cracking down on the Kurds after they ousted Barzani and independence supporters, or are things peaceful?

Was there an ouster? I thought he just put his son in charge because he was old as gently caress

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Saladman posted:

I watched that video and it's all in Arabic except for the broken part from 0:27 to the end. I guess it's a nice gesture, but obvious he's reading some phonetic set of words that he hasn't even memorized or practiced enough to say fluidly.

I guess it's a nice gesture though, like Kennedy's "Ick been ain bear leaner"
"I am a donut."

It's an urban legend... but I want to believe.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CherryCola posted:

Was there an ouster? I thought he just put his son in charge because he was old as gently caress

Well, he resigned as Iraqi tanks were rolling through Kirkuk, I'd say that qualifies, but OTOH he was apparently planning to retire anyway :shrug:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
So tons of offices and schools are getting a full week of holiday next week in Cairo (probably other cities too) for the election in Egypt. Kind of surprising as it seems like that would push voting numbers down even further as tons of people will go on holiday to the coasts, but what do I know. I guess one benefit is that it pushes the mood more towards festivity than apprehension, which might be the idea? Getting holidays way outweighs the small risk of a terrorist attack.

I wonder how long all the posters will stay up everywhere. Probably until next election.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cable Guy posted:

"I am a donut."

Sadly, this legend is totally unbelievable if you even know a tiny bit about Germany. As a German, I can't even find this funny, just incomprehensible.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Libluini posted:

Sadly, this legend is totally unbelievable if you even know a tiny bit about Germany. As a German, I can't even find this funny
Lol

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Libluini posted:

Sadly, this legend is totally unbelievable if you even know a tiny bit about Germany. As a German, I can't even find this funny, just incomprehensible.

Americans also like to joke about how Germans have no sense of humor.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Cable Guy posted:

"I am a donut."

I don't think anyone in Germany itself has ever even heard of this urban legend (I personally never have). "Ich bin ein Berliner" is completely grammatically correct.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

Americans also like to joke about how Germans have no sense of humor.

gently caress. Well, I walked straight into this and after so many years on an American forum, I only have myself to blame for not remembering

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Laurenz posted:

I don't think anyone in Germany itself has ever even heard of this urban legend (I personally never have). "Ich bin ein Berliner" is completely grammatically correct.
Not surprising, given how insular German culture is.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not surprising, given how insular German culture is.

German culture is a lot like yogurt. As in, it's good for you but not appealing to everyone.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Sinteres posted:

I'm Greek myself, and things are getting to poo poo with Turkey this year (we really expect something bad happening in Cyprus/Aegean before the year is out). I cannot for the life of me think of Erdogan as a totalitarian Islamist dictator though. He is definitely an authoritative entity, and maybe wants/dreams of complete and total consolidation of power in the future. He is also using the nostalgic allure of the Ottoman Empire as a counter to the embedded Kemalist secularism that Turkey followed for 80 years (and most of his enemies also followed, both in the Army and elsewhere).

But an Islamist dictator? Too strong a characterization..at least for now. I'm definitely not one of his fans though..

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dante80 posted:

I'm Greek myself, and things are getting to poo poo with Turkey this year (we really expect something bad happening in Cyprus/Aegean before the year is out).

Why? How? :psyduck:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

There's been a lot of incidents between Turkey and Greece, as well as between Turkey and Cyprus.
https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Turkeys-Navy-Threatens-To-Sink-Eni-Drilling-Ship-Offshore-Cyprus.html
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2018-03-02/the-latest-report-2-greek-soldiers-arrested-in-turkey
http://greece.greekreporter.com/2018/02/21/are-greece-and-turkey-really-on-the-verge-of-war/

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How have I heard literally nothing about this before now.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

MiddleOne posted:

How have I heard literally nothing about this before now.

Nobody cares really, but we've been having things like mock dogfights and ship chases for decades with Turkey (we share a number of problems or "problems" stretching from the borders to grey zones to the Aegean EEZ to Cyprus to..you name it). The last time we were very close to actual war was back in 1995, during the Imia (Kardak for Turkey) crisis, but things have not really calmed since then, if you know what I mean...

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, there's a lot of brinkmanship in the area. Also, the whole Cyprus thing came close to a solution recently but then greek Cyprus was like "Yo dudes, we are going to start exploiting this gas reserves without your input, gently caress you!" and the chance was lost. Turkish warships have circled the area. So who knows what will happen.

To be completely clear, those gas reserves are in Greek-Cypriot territorial waters, but Turkey asked for development to wait until the political situation was resolved.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Super cool that the EU is letting one of their member states be bullied by a hostile foreign power. Maybe letting Cyprus in the EU with an ongoing crisis (and as a destination for corrupt Russian money) was a bad idea in the first place, but having allowed them entry, you'd think there might at least be economic consequences for loving with them.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

In regards to the subject at hand, I am thoroughly biased so I'd be the last to comment on the actual dispute. I do have to say though that the whole thing is utterly ridiculous. The Greek and Turkish people have absolutely nothing against each other, and during the last 20 years or so there have been a poo poo-ton of opportunities to get over this nationalist roller-coaster and actually work together in peace for mutual assured benefit.

Instead of that, we are moving closer and closer to mutual assured destruction.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sinteres posted:

Super cool that the EU is letting one of their member states be bullied by a hostile foreign power. Maybe letting Cyprus in the EU with an ongoing crisis (and as a destination for corrupt Russian money) was a bad idea in the first place, but having allowed them entry, you'd think there might at least be economic consequences for loving with them.
The EU is a joke. Anything that isn't profitable for German banks isn't gonna happen

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The EU is a joke. Anything that isn't profitable for German banks isn't gonna happen

The EU has been insanely profitable for Germany, so ensuring its long term stability by not allowing its weaker members to be picked off by outsiders seems kind of important. I get that appeasing Turkey in the short term so they don't get hit with a flood of refugees that threaten the internal stability of a lot of their states (if for no other reason than because it provokes a xenophobic and anti-European backlash) is also kind of important though. It'll be interesting to see if they take a harder line with Turkey once they start resettling refugees in northern Syria.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sinteres posted:

The EU has been insanely profitable for Germany, so ensuring its long term stability by not allowing its weaker members to be picked off by outsiders seems kind of important.
Germany says that if you think it's important, then you should be doing something about it, but it's absolutely out of question that any cent leaves the Bundespiggybank to help the lazy good-for-nothing southerners, so don't try to volunteer their money for that.

They added "Ia! Ia! Schwarze-Nullgurath!" as a postscript, before ritually sacrificing a debtor on an altar made of Volkswagen diesel engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I just want F-16s to fight each other. An actual shooting war between NATO members would really release some pent up steam in the alliance.