Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

I just mostly mean that previously I'd list 30 stacks of beer and they would sell within minutes, some via preorder even. Now they tend to sit there much longer (like Katt said, up to a day or so), which isn't terrible or anything I'm just curious if it's a drop in demand or lots more people started selling beer for some reason. Like why did the amount of available grains increase THAT much all of a sudden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Loops posted:

I just mostly mean that previously I'd list 30 stacks of beer and they would sell within minutes, some via preorder even. Now they tend to sit there much longer (like Katt said, up to a day or so), which isn't terrible or anything I'm just curious if it's a drop in demand or lots more people started selling beer for some reason. Like why did the amount of available grains increase THAT much all of a sudden.

There was a giant brewing event late last year. Anyone who took part is probably drowning in booze. I know I was.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

SimAnt is a cool game

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Wuxi posted:

SimAnt is a cool game

Its an ingame screenshot from BDO

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I am curious about this game. Recent Steam reviews for this are saying that recent updates have made it much more P2W, and that it looks like that trend will continue. If you never wanted to spend money on the game outside of the original $10, what would you be effectively locked out of? And how many in-game-days would it take to reach equal effectiveness with current endgame raid people?

I've also heard this game described as a single-player MMORPG, because people solo so much. If you just want to group up with some random people how does that work? I mean, in WoW, there are instanced dungeons that people queue up to do via matchmaking. In old MMOs like EQ, it was possible to find pickup groups at popular dungeon entrances.

The game looks very pretty but its reviews are just so, so bad. It is described as a P2W grindfest.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

pmchem posted:

I am curious about this game. Recent Steam reviews for this are saying that recent updates have made it much more P2W, and that it looks like that trend will continue. If you never wanted to spend money on the game outside of the original $10, what would you be effectively locked out of? And how many in-game-days would it take to reach equal effectiveness with current endgame raid people?

I've also heard this game described as a single-player MMORPG, because people solo so much. If you just want to group up with some random people how does that work? I mean, in WoW, there are instanced dungeons that people queue up to do via matchmaking. In old MMOs like EQ, it was possible to find pickup groups at popular dungeon entrances.

The game looks very pretty but its reviews are just so, so bad. It is described as a P2W grindfest.

Even using the p2w features, it's a gigantic grindfest. There aren't any raids, just world bosses that the whole server wails on at once. PVP is probably great, I've been told it's great, but getting geared for it will easily be most of the time you put into the game.
You're either:
1. grinding for money all day to buy end game gear off the market for billions of silver. It's usually RNG to decide who from the whole server gets to buy the one available item, or it's a whose fastest, or it's a rng preorder I dunno this part is confusing.
2. waiting for that 0.00001% RNG chance of it dropping for you, but then you have to enhance it yourself which is probably the worst aspect of the game and not at all enjoyable or recommended. Unless you enjoy failure and misery. Enhancing made me salt quit the game for several months.
3. spending hundreds of dollars on cash shop items to sell to other players at a criminally low amount of return

Pets are (with rare exception) ONLY available in the cash shop, and they collect items for you as you do murders. They speed up your grind a ton and are pretty necessary. You have to combine two of the same pet type to create one pet of higher rank, up to rank 4. There is a chance this can fail. Pet's work out to be around 8 dollars each.

There are a TON of things in this game that I adore, honest! It's beautiful, classes are wildly different from each other, combat feels fantastic, there's lots to do besides smashing, the character creator is easily the best I've seen and I've seen a lot. But the best words I can think of to describe this game are "cruel" and "punishing".

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 12, 2018

J
Jun 10, 2001

Black desert is the best game that I can't recommend to anybody.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

J posted:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

okay, I've already won EVE online, so I'll avoid BDO. Thanks for being honest.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

J posted:

I have a real life friend I play MMOs with. I can't tell him about BDO because he will quickly realise that it takes like $100 to even start the game.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i started playing again this week

they've made some good changes and i'm honestly surprised

J
Jun 10, 2001

stump collector posted:

i started playing again this week

they've made some good changes and i'm honestly surprised

They changed the voice of the heidel storage keeper from a creepy sleazeball to a bad mall santa claus and I'm mad about it :argh:

stump collector
May 28, 2007

J posted:

They changed the voice of the heidel storage keeper from a creepy sleazeball to a bad mall santa claus and I'm mad about it :argh:

if you wanna buy a hooos

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

J posted:

They changed the voices of most, if not all of the npcs and I'm totally mad at the change too! :argh:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Money is an ethereal thing hue hue hue

RIP storage keeper of my heart.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Got a lot of stuff? Leeaaavvee it with me. Within your allotted space of course.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I heard they changed the voices so I logged in to check.

The new ones are all poo poo. Should be reverted in full.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Rip friendly kind deve. My main man.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DancingShade posted:

I heard they changed the voices so I logged in to check.

The new ones are all poo poo. Should be reverted in full.

No, it's not all bad. The otter person with the 3 daily quests in Velia is much better now. Used to be a weird squark noise that sounded like a guy saying squark, now it's a much snappier sort of 'qwip' noise. Far less annoying.

Also in Velia, there was a lady over by the marketplace guy who said "Louder louder I can't hear it" and her voice just set my teeth on edge, doesn't seem as bad now.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

No, it's not all bad. The otter person with the 3 daily quests in Velia is much better now. Used to be a weird squark noise that sounded like a guy saying squark, now it's a much snappier sort of 'qwip' noise. Far less annoying.

Also in Velia, there was a lady over by the marketplace guy who said "Louder louder I can't hear it" and her voice just set my teeth on edge, doesn't seem as bad now.

Tons of otter people lines say literally "squek" phonetically. I bet their lines said "squek" as in make the sound not say the word.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Katt posted:

Tons of otter people lines say literally "squek" phonetically. I bet their lines said "squek" as in make the sound not say the word.

It makes me wonder about their set up. Did they have a recording studio with a director and stuff? Or did they just put a bunch of "say this thing" jobs up on Fiverr?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
The mad chick at velia sounds like Gordon Ramsay now

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

They ruined the Heidel blacksmith Ornella too.

She used to sound so authentic. Now she sounds like a valley girl.

Oh dear god. I hope they didnd't change the Glish trade manager. She was so smug. I loved that.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
It's really strange that they apparently had budget slated to ...re-do a bunch of the voice work?

What about the constant lag and disconnections? What about the servers Kakao?! Hamsters and twine just don't cut it anymore in 2018!

:argh:

(seriously though; voicework in an MMO?...
???)

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I dont know if they get much freedom in choosing their host, and the current one sucks rear end thus the server issues

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

So this game sounds like it might hit all the boxes I like in an mmorpg. Grinding, collecting, crafting and even trading. Will I miss out a lot if I just buy a basic account for a tenner?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

you will be disappointed and go "wish i had this cash shop item to make this not horrible"

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

or "this outfit is cute af"

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Klaaz posted:

So this game sounds like it might hit all the boxes I like in an mmorpg. Grinding, collecting, crafting and even trading. Will I miss out a lot if I just buy a basic account for a tenner?

Try it for free first. I have 4 trial codes left.

NEEHGVI-S1DG9IE-D4AR4FK-8B3I6
SQJ2S90-JFQ2E8K-34V2QV3-HJPKM
VUP1GRC-FEIMG1E-KCG8LN6-8831L
HJG8H0A-GUUATA2-VGI99P9-90E1Q

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Klaaz posted:

you won't really notice what you're missing until you put a lot of time in and the new/returning player login bonuses go away

once again i'll steal someone else's phrase - this is the best game that I can't recommend

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I haven't played since kama 1 was released, is there anything I should be taking advantage of in the new areas? I've got ok gear. about 220AP vs monsters (counting kutum, kzarka, and the general's ring buffs) and 300dp. Right now i'm just doing the kama 2 questline but I want to know what areas are best for xp/money right now. I'm assuming nothing has changed and pirates are still the best

stump collector fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 22, 2018

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

stump collector posted:

I'm assuming nothing has changed and pirates are still the best

Pirates are still good, sausans are still good, but they buffed the poo poo out of valencia so most of the valencia spots are pretty good now. I'm not sure that they're necessarily better than pirates w/artisan2 trade, but they're good enough

J
Jun 10, 2001

The best exp in the game by far is at gyfin temple in kama2, but that's a 5 person group spot and I'm pretty sure groups for that spot want 230 or 240 sheet AP with kutum. For solo spots, they added something called "marni stones" that you can buy from an npc in various spots in valencia that I forget the name of. Each individual spot has an associated marni stone to go with the type of enemy that spawns there. You buy the empty marni stones and keep them in your inventory and as you kill stuff it fills up the marni stone. There's 2 different size of marni stone, I think 250/500 kills each but I'm not 100% sure. Then you can turn the filled marni stones back in for exp, so it makes valencia spots better than they used to be for exp. It also makes them more crowded, though. I also think they've revamped a few of the valencia spots since you quit, like nagas and fogans. Nagas is a great spot now but it's also really crowded, and if someone rings a bell on your channel just forget it.

Pirates is still really good, you can't go wrong there.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Sounds good. Thanks everyone. I think they had already changed nagas and fogans before I quit. I went to fogans right away and had a ton of fun grinding there until a few people made videos saying it was the best grind spot and it became super crowded. I think I might focus on crescents and sulfur mines just because they're sort of empty usually

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I like that they added all that other stuff because now pirates is less crowded.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

stump collector posted:

Sounds good. Thanks everyone. I think they had already changed nagas and fogans before I quit. I went to fogans right away and had a ton of fun grinding there until a few people made videos saying it was the best grind spot and it became super crowded. I think I might focus on crescents and sulfur mines just because they're sort of empty usually

Sulfur mines is still bad though, crescents is quite good since they added a bunch of spawns and made the crescent guardians a lot less tanky

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Katt posted:

Try it for free first. I have 4 trial codes left.

NEEHGVI-S1DG9IE-D4AR4FK-8B3I6
SQJ2S90-JFQ2E8K-34V2QV3-HJPKM
VUP1GRC-FEIMG1E-KCG8LN6-8831L
HJG8H0A-GUUATA2-VGI99P9-90E1Q

Thanks dude but I've changed my mind after reading more about the pay to win nature of this game. Sorry for late response.

Edit: pay not play

Monstaland fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 26, 2018

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

fair reaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
Honestly, I think Drythe was being a bit hyperbolic. I don't really think the game is very "P2W" at all, people just like to moan about it on Reddit and such. You could easy play the game without spending a single cent and not be hindered in any major way at all. If you want extra convenience, then sure you could but some inventory or storage slots or weight limit or a maid or pet or something. Or if you like dress-up you could splurge on a costume. But there's no compelling reason to unless you're trying to run some massive empire or you grind 24/7 or something. Plus they give away a lot of poo poo too and you can get some things in-game.

I don't want to defend the game too much and I've certainly spent some money on the game but it's probably not much more that I would have paid on a subscription based game like WoW or EVE.

Just my 2c :)