Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

MiddleOne posted:

If it's not a toy then it is a sandwich.
There are no pizza rules.

Therefore, toys are pizza and pizza are toys.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Somehow, Radioshack and Olive Garden will be the last two places standing
Pfft, please. Be realistic.

GNC will be the last one standing, even though nobody has any idea who shops there. It just is, always has been, and always will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

whydirt posted:

What’s the difference between electronics and tech?
Albeit a personal distinction, but I always felt that it went like this--

Electronics: I need 10 white LEDs, a soldering iron, some capacitors and throw in two of those Y-Cable adapters for my headphones.

Tech: I need a new TV, some RAM, 10000 feet of Cat7, and throw in one of those 18 camera HD nightvision WIFI home security systems.

eyebeem posted:

The entire Fry's shopping experience is straight out of 2002, including their website.
They finally came around to realizing that people would like to see the specials online instead of on the back of the Sports page in the LA times.

But man, looking at their layout is like discovering a perfect time capsule of old design.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 21, 2018

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FilthyImp posted:

But man, looking at their layout is like discovering a perfect time capsule of old design.

I just realized that their website is really just the classic Frys/TigerDirect/Etc newspaper ad layout in an interactive format.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

eyebeem posted:

The entire Fry's shopping experience is straight out of 2002, including their website.

2001. It’s literally the same site and layout that they purchased from Outpost.com. They didn’t even change the name until 2006 or so and didn’t even sell the same items until 2010.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The Fry's near me isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Every time I am there, it is packed. They also always pricematch NewEgg and Amazon prices, so I go there for anything that I don't want to wait 2 days for.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Do you live in a time bubble? No seriously, what Fry's is that?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Toys R Us: Millenial's Fault:

http://www.businessinsider.com/toys-r-us-closes-millennials-babies-birth-rate-2018-3

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The birth rate has gone down but the population has increased, so shouldn't that result in roughly the same number of kids able to support the same number of stores? To say nothing of immigrant children, of course...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Essentially every single piece about blaming millennials comes down to the fact that millennials don't have any drat money, including this one. "No wage, only spend!" Forever and ever and ever.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Cicero posted:

Do you live in a time bubble? No seriously, what Fry's is that?

Austin. The Fry's at Parmer and Mopac.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Essentially every single piece about blaming millennials comes down to the fact that millennials don't have any drat money, including this one. "No wage, only spend!" Forever and ever and ever.

I think a lot of them is also millennials just not wanting the same stuff. Like mcdonald's is doing terrible right now but more expensive fast food is taking off. If millenials had more money they would probably eat even less mcdonald's and chipotle would do even more better.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

According to boomers we're not making less money, we're just spending it all on avocado toast. Maybe they should have passed better financial responsibility onto their kids if they didn't want all these businesses to die. :rolleyes:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Baby boomers formed their views of the world during a time of American economic hegemony coupled with the atomization of society thanks to suburbanization, segregation, media, and other factors. Consequently they are the most narcissistic cohort in the history of the planet, and it should be no surprise that they blame the consequences of their political myopia on its victims.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I loving had to sit at a table with a couple of boomers yesterday and listen to them make fun of homeless people with a cell phone.

They're honestly the worst people around. They literally think that a non-wealthy person should eat gruel and work 16 hours a day for pennies that they can save for a downpayment on a house in 30 years, oh yeah and never get sick and never have a family member with a problem and never do anything to make yourself feel like a human being.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's pretty loving bad. I work with low income communities and even they get into it, talking about who's "really" deserving of assistance and who's not. I just try not to engage as much as possible because I just want to help as many people as I can but it's frustrating and extremely sad to listen to people in poverty crab bucketing in real time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DrNutt posted:

It's pretty loving bad. I work with low income communities and even they get into it, talking about who's "really" deserving of assistance and who's not.
I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but: you know those posters on the sliding glass door at the grocery store, warning you not to misuse your SNAP because you'll get sent to prison forever? Welfare fraud probably costs the government less than those posters; stuff like that is about making the poor hate each other and themselves.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but: you know those posters on the sliding glass door at the grocery store, warning you not to misuse your SNAP because you'll get sent to prison forever? Welfare fraud probably costs the government less than those posters; stuff like that is about making the poor hate each other and themselves.

Yeah, we're a great people, always happy to be miserable as long as there's someone we can poo poo on.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FCKGW posted:

I’m gonna say Frys because I have no idea how they’re still in business, they’re all dead now.

Fry’s is dead to me because their PC game section with all kinds of random bullshit FSX addons as well older games and non AAA titles is long gone.

DrNutt posted:

It's pretty loving bad. I work with low income communities and even they get into it, talking about who's "really" deserving of assistance and who's not. I just try not to engage as much as possible because I just want to help as many people as I can but it's frustrating and extremely sad to listen to people in poverty crab bucketing in real time.

My coworkers constantly whine about their taxes going to welfare cheats. Anecdotes and straw men for days.

Man, I wish more of my taxes went to safety nets that get abused sometimes than loving Lockheed and Goldman Sachs and private prisons which are 100% abuse from seed to plate. And I wish my taxes paid for my healthcare instead of a separate tax paid to a private insurer that either won’t pay because it’s too small time or won’t pay because it costs them too much.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 22, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but: you know those posters on the sliding glass door at the grocery store, warning you not to misuse your SNAP because you'll get sent to prison forever?

No? I've never seen such a thing in my life?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

skooma512 posted:

Fry’s is dead to me because their PC game section

I can't even really imagine what a physical PC game section could really be in 2018.

Like AAA games are all significantly online or have major content patches. And like I can't imagine going to a store to buy a disk copy of like night in the woods or FTL or undertale or something.

Like digital delivery seems like the most perfect fit for videogames of anything ever. Console games still have slowing but real physical sales but PC stuff has been a decade gone for buying disks of stuff.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I can't even really imagine what a physical PC game section could really be in 2018.
It would look like a rotating rack full of Gift Cards, except the cards would be 8.1x11 (so you can get a nice poster) and inside would be a nice credit-card sized plastic COMMEMORATIVE SUPER RARE COLLECTIBLE card with a tear-away strip to reveal the code you can use to redeem/download it from STEAM.

///I remember getting some Half-Life megapack from Best Buy and inside the hueg box were 4-5 CDs in lame paper protectors with a Serial Key sticker slapped to the back of each.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

fishmech posted:

No? I've never seen such a thing in my life?

Some of the Southern States have them especially in rural areas.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FilthyImp posted:

It would look like a rotating rack full of Gift Cards, except the cards would be 8.1x11 (so you can get a nice poster) and inside would be a nice credit-card sized plastic COMMEMORATIVE SUPER RARE COLLECTIBLE card with a tear-away strip to reveal the code you can use to redeem/download it from STEAM.

///I remember getting some Half-Life megapack from Best Buy and inside the hueg box were 4-5 CDs in lame paper protectors with a Serial Key sticker slapped to the back of each.

Like it's not even like there aren't single player offline games, this is the best time in years for offline single player games but they are all the exact opposite of the type of games that would make any sort of big sale display at physical retail.

Like you can't really meaningfully sell call of duty in a box because you need so much internet to run it anyway, and you could sell like thomas is alone in a box, but like, who would care? You aren't gonna market that or get people into the store showing that off. So it'd be some thing you threw in a corner somewhere, and at that point, it might as well not exist because everyone will just buy it online anyway.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The founder of TRU died today.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jesus that leveraged buyout was brutally thorough.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like AAA games are all significantly online or have major content patches. And like I can't imagine going to a store to buy a disk copy of like night in the woods or FTL or undertale or something.

Like digital delivery seems like the most perfect fit for videogames of anything ever. Console games still have slowing but real physical sales but PC stuff has been a decade gone for buying disks of stuff.

If Target is any indication:
2 Racks of pre-paid cards for kids to play WoW/LoL/CS/DOTA
1 Shelf of Blizzard
1 Shelf of Sims
1 Shelf of everything else

All in a single 4 foot section.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xae posted:

If Target is any indication:
2 Racks of pre-paid cards for kids to play WoW/LoL/CS/DOTA
1 Shelf of Blizzard
1 Shelf of Sims
1 Shelf of everything else

All in a single 4 foot section.

I'm pretty sure half of the physical media are various SIMS games.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Haifisch posted:

There are no pizza rules.

Therefore, toys are pizza and pizza are toys.

FilthyImp posted:

Bethesda kind of did this with their Fallout 4 boxes. Came with one cd with about 7gb of the game on it, the rest had to be downloaded off steam.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah the thing with a console game is that all of the consoles now with drives have full on Blu-Ray drives which can support up to the 120 GB quad-layer discs (though no game has shipped on any of them using that yet) and it's common to see the 50 GB dual layer discs in use.

Meanwhile on the PC side, most people that have an optical drive at all are going to only have DVD support if anything. Games could be shipped on USB drives or something, but those are expensive in small batches and who's going to want to try to risk the costs of having a million copies made to really bring the costs down?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Looks like another buyout of TRU is being attempted.

quote:

The CEO behind Bratz dolls and Little Tike toys wants to save Toys "R" Us.
Isaac Larian says he and two other unidentified investors are pledging $200 million to try to save about 400 of the remaining 735 US stores that are slated to close. He's started a GoFundMe page to try to raise more, through small contributions from people who love the stores, as well as to generate publicity about his efforts. So far it has raised about $5,000.

"This is an American icon that has to be saved," Larian, the founder and CEO of MGA Entertainment said. "I used to take my kids there instead of Disneyland. This needs to be saved for the next generation."

Toys "R" Us announced last week that would close all of its US stores after failing to find a buyer. It was burning through about $100 million a month in cash.

Larian said the years of financial losses at Toys "R" Us don't scare him.

Related: Toys 'R' Us founder Charles Lazarus dies

"During my life as an entrepreneur, I was often told something couldn't be done, that no doll could challenge Barbie. And we'd still get it done," he said.

He blamed the demise of Toys "R" Us on its private equity owners, who saddled the company with billions in debt. The company owed about $5 billion when it filed for bankruptcy in September.

"Every penny it made went to paying the debt service," he said.

Per the article, he's also made a bid for TRU Canada. Says he thinks the toy industry will collapse without a major retailer, and as he's in the toy business, that would hurt his companies. He's using his own money and investors for the same reason, so he doesn't risk his companies' finances on the bid. Makes sense to me.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 23, 2018

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/GS_CapSF/status/976969971807830016?s=19

Bad news from Nike.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Lmao a gofundme to pay for a corporate acquisition SOUNDS LEGIT 2 ME

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Morbus posted:

Yeah, even as an (outgoing, found a new job) TRU employee who wants to see his coworkers land on their feet, the Bratz guy can go screw unless he finds enough actual investors for a bid.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Man, I wish more of my taxes went to safety nets that get abused sometimes than loving Lockheed and Goldman Sachs and private prisons which are 100% abuse from seed to plate. And I wish my taxes paid for my healthcare instead of a separate tax paid to a private insurer that either won’t pay because it’s too small time or won’t pay because it costs them too much.
Just as an example, we're planning to spent about 14 times what it would cost to solve extreme poverty worldwide, if I remember the figures right, on the F-35.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 23, 2018

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

Just as an example, we're planning to spent about 14 times what it would cost to solve extreme poverty worldwide, if I remember the figures right, on the F-35.

This is why we should launch a total and overwhelming strike on Russia, China, Pakistan, and Pakistan. Without nuclear armed rear end in a top hat states, we could safely scale back our military to an EU style "well we have submarines that will gently caress your poo poo up right back!"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Morbus posted:

I know the gofundme page is just a marketing ploy so if they buy it the people can say “we did it!” But it’s still super duper gross

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Caganer posted:

This is why we should launch a total and overwhelming strike on Russia, China,
We should have done this decades ago. Then there wouldn't be any extreme poverty, because there wouldn't be any poor people, because there wouldn't be any people. It's perfect.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Toys R Us going out of business sale started. Rip

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Freakazoid_ posted:

Bethesda kind of did this with their Fallout 4 boxes. Came with one cd with about 7gb of the game on it, the rest had to be downloaded off steam.
It's not even an entirely new trend. I got The Orange Box for Christmas a decade ago and it was literally a single disc with HL2/ep1/ep2/Portal/TF2 on it but the box was very forthright about how you'd have to download patches for TF2 and also probably the other games.

Sure, Valve was ahead of the curve thanks to literally owning Steam, but it's been a long time coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Best Buys PC games section is literally mostly game codes now that I think of it