Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

MrJacobs posted:

I'm sure once Disney hates making money this will happen.

Killing a character for the sole purpose to bring them back when the timing is right and most profitable is comic books 101. Justice League dropped the ball by bringing Superman back right away. Because of how the phases are structured, it’s much more likely Marvel will play the long game the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Barry Convex posted:

In interviews, the Russos have strongly implied that the Battle of New York scenes from A4 set pics are actually involving Stark's holographic BARF technology from Civil War, not time travel or flashbacks per se. But I guess we'll see.

There's no way that isn't just a cover.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Fart City posted:

Killing a character for the sole purpose to bring them back when the timing is right and most profitable is comic books 101. Justice League dropped the ball by bringing Superman back right away. Because of how the phases are structured, it’s much more likely Marvel will play the long game the right way.
I agree.

I also think, it would have been a lot better to end Batman v Superman with stopping Luthor and having Doomsday be near the start of Justice League.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Spacebump posted:

I agree.

I also think, it would have been a lot better to end Batman v Superman with stopping Luthor and having Doomsday be near the start of Justice League.

i think it would have been a lot better to take the money spent on BvS and spend it on like, anything else

remake Pluto Nash i guess why not

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

What's the other option? Recast? Or have old man Iron Man and old man Captain America kicking around?

I mean, I'm fine with either, but considering how huge Guardians of the Galaxy was, it kind of doesn't matter who's in these movies, people are seeing them regardless. Seems like a good time to clear the board of the most expensive actors and move forward with the newer characters.

Recast the role so kids can still see Iron Man and Captain America on the big screen. Could it suck? yes. but its still the right move for marketing overall.

I also grantee you that Wolverine will be recast soon as long as the X-Men films keep making money.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

Originally he was supposed to come back in the second film.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MrJacobs posted:

Recast the role so kids can still see Iron Man and Captain America on the big screen. Could it suck? yes. but its still the right move for marketing overall.

I also grantee you that Wolverine will be recast soon as long as the X-Men films keep making money.

Agreed. Superheroes should be like Bond, just replace the actor every so often. This saves us from having to watch more origin movies.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

When the dust settles, it feels like there’s going to be a lot of fascinating behind-the-scenes reveals of the development/production/release of Justice League. The movie seemed to be radically changing its shape on a fairly consistent basis, even before Snyder left. I’ll be very interested to see it get something akin to the Superman Lives treatment, because as far as imploding blockbusters go, it’s got a lot ground to cover.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Avengers 4 is likely going to make me cry because it's going to be filled with flashbacks and nostalgia from 10+ years of the MCU.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Different, Bishop is from a future where mutants are held in concentration camps ala Days of Future Past.

Isn't he actually from the DOFP future? Or is that just something that got invented for the 90s cartoon and then reused for the DOFP movie? (I know he's not in the original DOFP comic, but they revisit that future other times, right?)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mordiceius posted:

Avengers 4 is likely going to make me cry because it's going to be filled with flashbacks and nostalgia from 10+ years of the MCU.

Haha people are going to be nostalgic for the MCU, aren't they? I honestly never thought about that.

"I remember when Chris Evans was Cap and not <some other guy>...those were the days..." --a guy in 2027

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mordiceius posted:

Same but it's going to be tears of pain that in going to see avengers 4

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Same but it's going to be tears of pain that in going to see avengers 4
You don't have to see the movie.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Crows Turn Off posted:

You don't have to see the movie.

I believe in hating things properly

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Why even watch a Marvel movie? They're so bland.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

corn in the bible posted:

Why even watch a Marvel movie? They're so bland.

They're enjoyable, usually.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chairman Capone posted:

Isn't he actually from the DOFP future? Or is that just something that got invented for the 90s cartoon and then reused for the DOFP movie? (I know he's not in the original DOFP comic, but they revisit that future other times, right?)

Combined for the cartoon. The DoFP timeline potential is resolved by the end of the story but similar timelines were invented whenever the writers wanted to dip into that well again. DoFP timeline was created by Mystique when she assassinated Sen. Kelly. Bishop's future was created by the event in my spoiler.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Haha people are going to be nostalgic for the MCU, aren't they? I honestly never thought about that.

"I remember when Chris Evans was Cap and not <some other guy>...those were the days..." --a guy in 2027

The MCU is 10 years old so there's already adults walking around today who grew up with it since they were 8 and they probably don't have a lot of memories of a time before it existed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Captain America is a title, no reason Steve Rogers can't "die" now, bring in a new Captain America and then you can still have a surprise return for Rogers a few years down the line if you really want to.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The MCU is 10 years old so there's already adults walking around today who grew up with it since they were 8 and they probably don't have a lot of memories of a time before it existed.

Iron Man 1 came out when I was 21. The MCU has been around for 1/3 of my life.

The Harry Potter films only spanned 8 years (originally) and people are still nostalgic over those.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I had a hell of a moment when I realized that there is a large group of people out there now who look at Batman ‘89 with the same kind of distance I look at Batman ‘66.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mordiceius posted:

Iron Man 1 came out when I was 21. The MCU has been around for 1/3 of my life.

The Harry Potter films only spanned 8 years (originally) and people are still nostalgic over those.

Ten years. Eight films, ten years.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Ten years. Eight films, ten years.

Ah, I figured Harry Potter was a film a year. My bad, didn't check that.

Well, at Avengers 4, it will be 22 films over 11 years. If nothing else, that gives people more to be nostalgic about.

I would venture to guess there is a somewhat decent percentage of people out there that don't watch every film in the MCU. Maybe some people are only interested in Iron Man. Others only interested in Cap. Others only interested in Guardians of the Galaxy. If Avengers 3/4 are good enough (at least on par with Avengers 1), it is bringing all of those fans together for collective nostalgia.

And as much as this thread wants to discount the MCU as garbage not worth discussing, it is an important piece of millions of peoples lives.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mordiceius posted:

Is that true? Usually when I here people talking about Harry Potter it's in relation to the books.

I'm not trying to say that you're wrong, but it's not something that I've observed at all. Maybe that just says something about the crowds I'm with, though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Is that true? Usually when I here people talking about Harry Potter it's in relation to the books.

I'm not trying to say that you're wrong, but it's not something that I've observed at all. Maybe that just says something about the crowds I'm with, though.

Fantastic Beasts pulled in almost a billion dollars.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I assume by "originally," you just mean in the very earliest plot outlines and such? Because the plot can't have changed that drastically in rewrites and reshoots.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

I assume by "originally," you just mean in the very earliest plot outlines and such? Because the plot can't have changed that drastically in rewrites and reshoots.

That was the plan when they were making Batman v Superman. Snyder's planning got thrown out the window when BvS didn't make a full billion.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mordiceius posted:

Fantastic Beasts pulled in almost a billion dollars.

Which is just about as much as the first Harry Potter film and about as much as the two Deathly Hallows films.

I'm not arguing that Harry Potter isn't popular, or that the films didn't make money, but I've never heard people talk about thm in the manner people talks about, (for example) the LOTRs movies, the Marvel movies, or the Harry Potter books.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that people would be nostalgic for the films, but it still seems weird to me.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

They're enjoyable, usually.

So is water. Yet also non distinctive.

It's going to be interesting to see what the Deadpool team can do with a budget.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Fart City posted:

I had a hell of a moment when I realized that there is a large group of people out there now who look at Batman ‘89 with the same kind of distance I look at Batman ‘66.

Batman 89' came out two years before i was born,i'm 27.

Batman forever was my first time seeing batman at the cinema and i was 4,i still remember it :allears:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

And as much as this thread wants to discount the MCU as garbage not worth discussing, it is an important piece of millions of peoples lives.
Nah, its garbage but its absolutely worth discussing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Nobody discounts it, they're often discussed, dissected, and the many horrible messages contained within are the topic of spirited conversation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And the award for first on-screen openly gay superhero in the modern superhero movie craze goes to... Negasonic Teenage Warhead in Deadpool 2?

https://twitter.com/sofboutellas/status/976835774552395777

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Cythereal posted:

And the award for first on-screen openly gay superhero in the modern superhero movie craze goes to... Negasonic Teenage Warhead in Deadpool 2?

https://twitter.com/sofboutellas/status/976835774552395777

pretty much confirms the recent plot leaks, yup

Sir Kodiak posted:

That was the plan when they were making Batman v Superman. Snyder's planning got thrown out the window when BvS didn't make a full billion.

Yeah, not buying this, at least the latter half. Justice League started filming just two and a half weeks or so after BvS opened. It's no secret that the film had significant last-minute, on-set rewrites in response to BvS' reception, but I don't see how there would have been enough time to incorporate such a massive change to the overall plot.

That may well have been the plan in 2013 or 2014 or whenever, but it would probably have had to change long before cameras started rolling.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 22, 2018

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Barry Convex posted:

pretty much confirms the recent plot leaks, yup

Yeah, not buying this, at least the latter half. Justice League started filming just two and a half weeks or so after BvS opened. It's no secret that the film had significant last-minute, on-set rewrites in response to BvS' reception, but I don't see how there would have been enough time to incorporate such a massive change to the overall plot.

That may well have been the plan in 2013 or 2014 or whenever, but it would probably have had to change long before cameras started rolling.

they made massive changes to the plot in the 6 months prior to the movie coming out what makes you think it would be impossible to do that in the year before that?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
They started retooling Justice League when the suits saw the initial cut of Batman v Superman, completely lost confidence in it, and forced 30 minutes worth of cuts so that they could rake in those lucrative first weekend dollars. It was well-known that the studio did not have confidence in the film prior to release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAmY5h8Ep58

Please note the above video was posted over a month before Batman v Superman premiered, and the journo did correctly predict that Snyder would be fired (he just got the timing wrong)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Could probably also be argued that had they not trimmed down the 30 minutes the movie would have been better critically received

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
As much as I'm down on the MCU, the patience it took to pull that off really is impressive. It seems all but inevitable now, but in 2011, both Thor and CA had very modest returns, as had their Hulk movie. But Disney stuck to their guns, and made the Avengers a thing people cared about, which is amazing, given that it's a team up of characters that audiences were mostly lukewarm on individually.

If Warner Bros had had even a fraction of that patience, they'd have something amazing. But they've bailed on pretty much every opportunity.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Marvel pretty much perfected the mass audience appeal of their products. Keep it light, have some nice character interactions, take storylines from comics and just adjust them a tiny bit for the silver screen, and scrub any and all controversial topics like alcoholism and you're good to go.

Just like the comic books, it's fluffy. Like soap opera for men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Which is just about as much as the first Harry Potter film and about as much as the two Deathly Hallows films.

I'm not arguing that Harry Potter isn't popular, or that the films didn't make money, but I've never heard people talk about thm in the manner people talks about, (for example) the LOTRs movies, the Marvel movies, or the Harry Potter books.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that people would be nostalgic for the films, but it still seems weird to me.

The studios tour in England with all the movie sets and props is still very popular, and the fandom still go crazy for the actors of the original movies. Almost all imagery related to Harry Potter now comes from the movies and not the books.