Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Pretzel Cookie Sandwiches

Would the pretzel cookies be good just on their own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

They weren't bad by themselves but I wouldn't say they were super exciting either. I would think you could top them with pretty much any of the usual pretzel suspects if you wanted to, certainly no need to make a sandwich.

I suspect the quality and type of pretzels you use probably has a lot to do with it though, I was using a cheapo brand so I think getting some better pretzels would help a lot. I'm going to try a better brand, and thinner and smaller cookies next time, and see how that improves the end result.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 21, 2018

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Middles puffed up more than I hoped so the shapes didn't come out as clean as I hoped, anything I can do about this?

Are they soft when they come out of the oven? I'd probably just use the cookie cutter on them again to get the shape back.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That's definitely a good call, I didn't check them right as they came out of the oven but maybe they are still soft enough to re-cut at that point.

I ended up with a page full of notes for how to make those cookies better next time, so I'll see how it goes. Once I've managed to eat all these buckeyes anyway.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
It isn't a cookie, but do cakes belong in this thread too?

(before - buttermilk not pictured)

Cara cara cake with lots of juice and zest. After sitting overnight, the glaze soaked in a bit and the zest softened. I left in plenty of pith and used toasted sugar, so it isn't too extremely sweet, but it has this amazing texture - almost like a cake donut.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It isn't a cookie, but do cakes belong in this thread too?

(before - buttermilk not pictured)

Cara cara cake with lots of juice and zest. After sitting overnight, the glaze soaked in a bit and the zest softened. I left in plenty of pith and used toasted sugar, so it isn't too extremely sweet, but it has this amazing texture - almost like a cake donut.

Gonna need the recipe for that.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Peanut butter cookies happened last weekend! Featuring one cup of artisanally-pulverized peanuts, because I don't have a food processor but I DO have ziplock bags and a hammer.

And if we're doing cakes too, I also made a Donauwelle at the request of a German coworker for an office shindig.

(Sorry for that bad slice pic, it was at work but I HAD to get a quick shot of the most picture-perfect donauwelle slice possible)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Sex Hobbit posted:

And if we're doing cakes too,

The cake thread fell into archives, maybe there should be a baking/desserts thread, or this can become it.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I'd be okay with this becoming a catch-all non-bread baking thread. There probably isn't enough baking happening in GWS for threads dedicated to each and every individual thing (besides bread).

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was not going to make cookies this week. Then I made the mistake of going to Costco where they had their Kitchenaid stand mixer knocked down to $250. So I felt obligated to make something

They good.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I support this becoming the general baking thread. I would have much more to post!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

listrada posted:

Gonna need the recipe for that.

Sure. This is my first time making it, so there were a few snags, detailed below. Also, I substituted the zest of three oranges (peeled, pith not scraped off) instead of four clementines. I used cara cara oranges, but substitute however you want - I want to try this with grapefruit and citron sometime. If you start with a 3# bag of oranges, you'll end up with two or three left over. I can only suggest candying them and saving the syrup. It's really amazing. Stir it into coffee, bake with it, cook with it, stir it into oatmeal, serve it on pancakes. It'd be crazy good in a cocktail, too. Oh yeah, and I completely stole this recipe from Binging with Babish, but it turned out different on his show (less delicious-looking, more fally-apart and less dense) so I'm pretty sure you should do it my way instead.

Ingredients posted:

Clementines
3 cups of sugar
450 g of cake flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp of baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup of butter
487.5 g of sugar
6 large eggs
3 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup clementine juice
Zest of 4 clementines
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
Nonstick spray
Parchment paper
Clementine Glaze
150 g sifted powdered sugar
30 to 45 ml of clementine juice
Zest of 1 clementine

Instructions posted:

Start by slicing 3 clementines for candying. Make sure you slice them very thin.
Poach the clementines in boiling water for 1 minute, and then shock them by transferring them to a bowl of ice water.
Combine 3 cups of sugar and 1 1/2 cups of water in a large saucepan. Add a little squeeze of clementine juice and bring to a sweet gentle simmer. Add clementines in a single layer and simmer for 90 minutes, flipping every 30 minutes.
Once soft and translucent cool on a wire rack, and pour clementine syrup into a measuring cup for later, and set aside.
Weigh out 450g of cake flour to which you’re going to add 1 1/2 tsp of salt, 3/4 tsp of baking powder, and 3/4 tsp of baking soda. Whisk to combine.
Next, add 1 1/2 cups of butter to the bowl of a stand mixer, and mix until creamy.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add 487.5g of sugar and mix that as well.
Scrape down the sides again, and add 6 large eggs, 3 tsp of vanilla extract, and mix.
Add 3/4 cup of clementine juice and the zest of 4 clementines, and mix to combine.
Finally add the dry ingredients and 1 1/4 cups of buttermilk and mix just enough to combine.
Coat a cake pan with nonstick spray and parchment paper. Add the cake batter and cook at 350°F for 45 minutes.
Use a cake tester or a knife to make sure the cake is completely done.
Generously brush down the cake with clementine syrup.
Pour glaze over the top and add candied clementines.
Slice yourself a piece and enjoy.
Clementine Glaze
Combine 150g of sifted powdered sugar, 30-45 ml of clementine juice, and the zest of one clementine. Whisk to combine. (You can use milk instead of juice to look more accurate to the movie, but the juice is better)

Notes posted:

Use Tosi's creaming method: 3 minutes on medium-high with butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time, increase to full speed for 10 minutes.

Too large for an 8.5" springform. Use 10-11" or a few loaf pans. It does rise considerably.

Mine took almost twice as long as specced to bake. Just let it keep going, and if you need to, scrape off the top before inverting and glazing.

I substituted 75g potato starch and 375g AP flour for the cake flour.

Oh, and I accidentally found a new (to me) way to make fudge while making this cake.

Fudge posted:

Continue slowly simmering the syrup left over from candying the clementine slices until it's not quite at one string consistency; it should be viscous, like jelly without pectin, but it shouldn't even remotely clear the pan when stirred. It took me about two hours total, but I used a 12" cast iron.
Stir the syrup into a roughly equal quantity of chocolate. I had some Guittard semisweet chips on hand, so I used them.
Keep stirring it while it cools a bit. You'll feel it when it's done. Stir fast, get a little air in there!
Scrape onto a surface and let cool.
You now have fudge.
I'm not very experienced with candymaking, but I'm pretty sure it is real traditional fudge - it has the same texture that condensed milk et al do not provide. Like a chewy-slippery-melty... well, you know, it's fudge, and not the cheap crap from Walmart, but the good stuff.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 25, 2018

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have been using this thread for all baking as there aren't any other threads I can find for it. I hardly ever make cookies though. It would be nice if we could use this for general cookies/pies/cakes/sweets.

EDIT: Turns out I only made a single post. I guess it was more like I wanted to post these but decided not to since it wasn't cookie related. So if we're going to be more inclusive, here's some pie:

Oh hey, cookies:

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 23, 2018

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I want to know more about those cookies.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I lost the exact recipe but if you google "no bake peanut butter chocolate oatmeal cookies" you'll get a ton of similar stuff. I put the coconut on because they turned out sticky.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Sure. This is my first time making it, so there were a few snags, detailed below. Also, I substituted the zest of three oranges (peeled, pith not scraped off) instead of four clementines. I used cara cara oranges, but substitute however you want - I want to try this with grapefruit and citron sometime. If you start with a 3# bag of oranges, you'll end up with two or three left over. I can only suggest candying them and saving the syrup. It's really amazing. Stir it into coffee, bake with it, cook with it, stir it into oatmeal, serve it on pancakes. It'd be crazy good in a cocktail, too. Oh yeah, and I completely stole this recipe from Binging with Babish, but it turned out different on his show (less delicious-looking, more fally-apart and less dense) so I'm pretty sure you should do it my way instead.

Oh, dude, this is so good - thanks for passing the recipe along! Orange is such a refreshing flavor for a cake. I'm still kind of confused about the quantity of batter it's supposed to make, but I'm hardly complaining that I ended up with two cakes.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Glad you liked it! Isn't the texture great? I'm also a little confused about the quantity of batter it's supposed to make, to be honest. I made it once, and it was too much but the springforms I have are oddly sized.

I think it might work really well in a big bundt pan with half moons around the base and/or whole slices over the top.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Had some milk I needed to use up and some real-deal chai that a grad student brought me from Nepal, so chai spiced cupcakes happened. The recipe is modified from the Vanilla Chamomile Cupcakes in Ruby Tandoh's Crumb. I tossed a couple cinnamon sticks and whole cloves into the milk/butter/tea while it was simmering and these are zippy.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dulce de Leche Brownies. These are good but I couldn't get them to cook quite right. The recipe calls for a 10x6 pan, which I've never seen, but the comments say an 8x8 can be used but your brownies will be thinner. These things are anything but thin and the middle flat out didn't want to cook. So I ended up with overcooked edges trying to get the middle possibly edible. I think a 9x9 pan would work better.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Brownies in general you can take out before the middle is set, and it'll set as it cools. It's not like a cake where you have to wait for a clean tester. They look great, though!

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
Hi thread, I just made a cake and I saw that it was okay to post things that aren't cookies so...

Chocolate cake with dulce de leche Italian meringue buttercream and dark chocolate ganache. My first attempt at doing a drip-edge cake.

edit: here, so I'm still playing in the rules - I made these as a thank you to our garage mechanics when we bought a new car, and they checked all of our prospective cars for free and kept us from buying a piece of poo poo.

Sehkmet fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 31, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Those are amazing! I took a cake decorating 101 class and I was awful. I mean, obviously I wasn’t a whiz prior but I didn’t expect to have such poor control etc. It also didn’t help that I have v warm hands so my buttercream was melting.

How did you get into decorating? How did you do those cookies??

Ugh, such beautiful creations! I’m jealous!

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
I'm making meringues for the first time and I hope they turn out. My piping on the 2nd/right sheet was way better.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Don’t hold us in suspense!

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Cross post from the general questions thread:

legendof posted:

This reminds me - I made the strawberry lemon curd that someone linked earlier, only I had fourteen lemons so I made a 5x batch (minus one stick of butter) which took absolutely ages to thicken, which is totally my own fault. Oh, and I strained the seeds out of the strawberries after pureeing them instead of after making the curd, which I definitely recommend. It was great - excellent flavor, with a sort of spring-y extra kick from this strawberry. I've been giving it away, putting it on cookies and in cake rolls, etc. I canned it and ended up with six jars worth.

Pix:

This was my first time attempting a decorated sponge cake for the cake roll so I'm pretty happy with it.

legendof fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 3, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I approve.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Those are amazing! I took a cake decorating 101 class and I was awful. I mean, obviously I wasn’t a whiz prior but I didn’t expect to have such poor control etc. It also didn’t help that I have v warm hands so my buttercream was melting.

How did you get into decorating? How did you do those cookies??

Ugh, such beautiful creations! I’m jealous!

I have never taken a cake decorating class - I'm self taught, learning from YouTube and blogs and things like that. It's just something I find fun to do and strangely relaxing, although I struggle with trying to get my buttercream smooth, haha.

The cookies are just plain sugar cookie base, then I took a template I made out of paper and traced out the edges/logo in black icing, let it dry, then did the floods in yellow and green. It was only my second time flooding cookies too but I was super pleased with how they turned out.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
This week's efforts:

Almond Crumb Coffee Cake

And chewy peanut butter chocolate chip cookies!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sex Hobbit posted:

This week's efforts:

Good god drat. I know what I'm having this weekend.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

How'd the cookies come out? Those look like a potential hit in my family.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

Boywhiz88 posted:

Don’t hold us in suspense!

Not a complete flop but the tops were almost pebbled? Humidity was probably top high. They were still really tasty and pretty easy so I'll probably attempt again soon.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Ben Nevis posted:

They were a hit! The peanut butter taste is more subtle than you might expect, and they come out super chewy and soft.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

White Chocolate Raspberry Bars from the ATK book.

I'm absolutely poo poo at drizzling chocolate.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Second try at these Salted Caramel Pretzel Sandwich cookies:

Came out 100% better this time after following all my notes from last attempt. I started with butter snap pretzels and that helped considerably. Also was careful to get them as thin as possible, and not overcook the cookies or caramel so they were far less overly crispy and dense. These are a big winner now that I've gotten it down, but still a pretty large amount of work. Took me about 2 hours from start to finish to make em, with a little help.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I made weed jizz lavender shortbread cookies and I'm thrilled with the result:

Ugly but delicious. The process was so simple I really wanna try some other flavors - what else goes well in a shortbread?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

My favorite (aside from lavender) is to chop up drained maraschino cherries and put those in with mini chocolate chips.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Chocolate Espresso is a pretty good one. Lemon tends to be pretty good too, I was thinking I should try a glazed lemon poppyseed shortbread sometime.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Lemon rosemary shortbread is lovely.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What is the texture of madeleines supposed to be? I baked some and they turned out all right in my opinion, and they certainly look like madeleines but the texture was totally different from storebought and I'm not sure if I got them wrong or the supermarket did.

I know it's hard to tell from the pic but they do have that weird center bump thing. They were pretty crispy on the bottom and otherwise a fair bit lighter and airier than storebought.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Ben Nevis posted:

https://instagram.com/p/Bhc8zqXlUrM/

They came out great for me!