Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If I started watching Gotham where's the best place to jump in? I saw the first few episodes when they were coming out and enjoyed it, but my understanding is that the first season kept extending the episode order so they sorta had to just spin their wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Skwirl posted:

If I started watching Gotham where's the best place to jump in? I saw the first few episodes when they were coming out and enjoyed it, but my understanding is that the first season kept extending the episode order so they sorta had to just spin their wheels.

If you enjoyed tgose first few episodes just pick up where you left off. The insanity just keeps getting turned up as the series goes on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Eh, can't say it grabbed me tbh but I'll probably watch the first episode anyways what the hell

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

The show is bonkers. Total crap in season one but after that holy hell does it go off the rails in a perfectly insane way.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Not that it'll ever matter, but Cloak and Dagger is meant to be MCU, right? And their powers only work if they touch each other to like charge up or something?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

The show is bonkers. Total crap in season one but after that holy hell does it go off the rails in a perfectly insane way.

So I decided to start at the beginning of season 2, Bullock is a bartender?and within the first 8 minutes Gordon is told to "hand in his badge and gun."

Donal Logue continues to be in the show right? He was most of the reason I watched those first few episodes. (The rest was leftover goodwill for Ben McKenzie after The O.C.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They are both still series regulars.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

They are both still series regulars.

I knew McKenzie was still in it but I hadn't seen logue on any any posters, so that's good news.

Also everyone should watch Terriers and then mourn it not getting a second season (it doesn't end with a a cliffhanger or anything, it's just sad there's no more episodes).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I knew McKenzie was still in it but I hadn't seen logue on any any posters, so that's good news.

Also everyone should watch Terriers and then mourn it not getting a second season (it doesn't end with a a cliffhanger or anything, it's just sad there's no more episodes).

Maybe watch the last 2 episodes of season 1 to know why they are at where they are in season 2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

S2 is definitely when Gotham starts to pick up. They do much more with Bruce as he's gotten old enough to actually participate in the stories and they ratchet up the fun.

Really the most important thing to know from season 1 is that Barbara was kidnapped by a serial killer which drove her COMPLETELY BONKERS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Really the most important thing to know from season 1 is that Barbara was kidnapped by a serial killer which drove her COMPLETELY BONKERS.

And becomes the best character on the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A lot of other stuff that happens in S1 is pretty easy to follow, the Barbara stuff doesn't really get called back to, she's just bonkers from now on. I think the only other thing that's important is that Fish Mooney also gets killed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So is Kyrpton worth watching? The only thing that grabbed me was Brainiac, but Jol El's stupid leather jacket bugs the gently caress out of me.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Mr Hootington posted:

Gotham Joker pictures!!!!

https://twitter.com/GothamHub/status/976580672834826240?s=19

Holy lord he looks good.

This looks good to you?

SonicRulez posted:

Not that it'll ever matter, but Cloak and Dagger is meant to be MCU, right? And their powers only work if they touch each other to like charge up or something?

Dagger needs to spend some private time with Cloak to charge up her crystals.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

SonicRulez posted:

None of the TV shows are actually in the MCU at this point, tbh. They say they are for marketing reasons, but the people who actually make the movies have been pretty clear they have no idea what is going on in the TV side of things. They are also managed by two different entities. Hell, the TV shows themselves, outside of Netflix, aren't really in the same universe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm watching the Krypton Pilot. This could be any YA Dystopian novel holy poo poo its loving generic as hell. Production design is actually pretty good though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Walking to work today I saw a cracked out bus being guarded by PA's that said "star city bus" on it, so I'm guessing an important plot point in arrow will revolve around an abandoned bus next season.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm about twenty minutes into Krypton and I'm actually really liking it. There's shades of Game of Thrones and Star Wars and, yeah, some YA dystopian stuff, but it all synchs together really well and, honestly? Feels true to a lot of depictions of Krypton we've seen before in comics, films, and TV.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

I'm about twenty minutes into Krypton and I'm actually really liking it. There's shades of Game of Thrones and Star Wars and, yeah, some YA dystopian stuff, but it all synchs together really well and, honestly? Feels true to a lot of depictions of Krypton we've seen before in comics, films, and TV.

When they started shooting it was going to 100% totes be the past of Man of Steel but now they're saying nuh-uh, self contained. But it would be fun if they can figure out how to tie it into the Arrowverse.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

Val El's last words being "Dream of a better tomorrow!" was incredibly terrible writing. He might as well of said "Hang in there baby" as its just a slogan from an encouragement poster.

It's bad. Of course Zod and Kal's ancestors were into each other, of course his parents were running with the rebels, of course everything has a blue filter over it (though I guess that one might be explainable if Krypton is a colder world)

I am literally just watching this for Brainiac.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Finished, and I have four main takeaways

1) It sure would be cool if you could acknowledge Kara as well as Kal, show. Like, if we're gonna cut deep enough to have Adam Strange of all people be a primary cast member, then we're gonna have to allow that Supergirl is also a character that exists (will exist?) in this universe. I know that's probably a lot to ask considering that the producer Goyer is the guy who thinks She-Hulk only exists so the Hulk can gently caress her, but let's try to work around that.

2) There's this looming..."pallor?" over everything that's happening on this show, which is that we know for a fact that no matter what these characters do...no matter how much they improve their horrific class system or fight back against Brainiac or Black Zero or anything else...this entire planet's still gonna blow up and all you guys are gonna die screaming in roughly a lifetime. Well, maybe not you guys specifically, but definitely your kids and grandkids. Good luck with that! :buddy:

3) The CGI is incredible on this show, geez.

4) There is a non-zero chance that someone here is gonna get exposed to yellow sunlight and start flying and punching poo poo by the end of this season, and I'm really looking forward to that.

Overall I'm looking forward to seeing what happens here. It's not my favorite new show this year, but it beats out a lot of the competition.

twistedmentat posted:

Val El's last words being "Dream of a better tomorrow!" was incredibly terrible writing. He might as well of said "Hang in there baby" as its just a slogan from an encouragement poster.
Eh. I've literally heard worse on a day-by-day basis.

Also, to be clear, his parents weren't with the rebels. That was just a cover story his mom made up to deflect from their real goals. The rebels, "Black Zero," are an actual bona fide terrorist group (also taken straight from the comics). Seg's family was just trying to reveal the truth about Brainiac.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My guess when this was announced was that Seg would timewarp to Earth and most of the show would be set in 70's America to save money. But now that they've established the world and built sets it will probably just be the season cliffhanger.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

BrianWilly posted:

2) There's this looming..."pallor?" over everything that's happening on this show, which is that we know for a fact that no matter what these characters do...no matter how much they improve their horrific class system or fight back against Brainiac or Black Zero or anything else...this entire planet's still gonna blow up and all you guys are gonna die screaming in roughly a lifetime. Well, maybe not you guys specifically, but definitely your kids and grandkids. Good luck with that! :buddy:

Well I mean little Kandor was always a thing. Hundreds of thousands of them will survive the explosion. It's not great, but it's not nothing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oooh right I didn't think of that. They even make a point to say a bunch of times that this all takes place in Kandor City.

Okay, so, y'all will be fine! The rest of your race, less fine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

When they started shooting it was going to 100% totes be the past of Man of Steel but now they're saying nuh-uh, self contained. But it would be fun if they can figure out how to tie it into the Arrowverse.

It could be the past of Supergirl's universe.

I almost want them to do a Crisis on Infinite Earths type crossover to smash both Supergirl and Black Lightning into the same universe as Arrow and Flash (also wouldn't mind if it stuck close enough the the source comic to kill Barry too).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't even understand why these shows are in different universes to begin with. You'd think once they decide to cross over that would be the end of that, but instead they made it convoluted.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I don't even understand why these shows are in different universes to begin with. You'd think once they decide to cross over that would be the end of that, but instead they made it convoluted.

Because Supergirl needs to live in the same universe as Superman, and Arrowverse doesn't have a Superman. For Black Lightning it's important that Black Lightning was a super powered vigilante 15 years ago, Arrowverse didn't have people with superpowers until the first season of Flash.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All I'm saying is when Law and Order crossed over with Homicide, nobody went through a portal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Walking to work today I saw a cracked out bus being guarded by PA's that said "star city bus" on it, so I'm guessing an important plot point in arrow will revolve around an abandoned bus next season.

That would be for this season. They're still filming, plus they wouldn't be shooting next season until the summer. The cast gets time off.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Skwirl posted:

For Black Lightning it's important that Black Lightning was a super powered vigilante 15 years ago, Arrowverse didn't have people with superpowers until the first season of Flash.

Couldn't they just say this was one of the changes that happened after the Flashpoint season? Especially since there were powered heroes during WW2 on Legends? Hell what about the Hawks and Vandal Savage? They had powers since ancient Egypt or whatever. Im just saying this is a lame reason to be like, "Sorry, THE CANON tells us Black Lightning must be segregated from the other shows." If they really wanted to, they could make it work, so what's the real reason they aren't connected?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Couldn't they just say this was one of the changes that happened after the Flashpoint season? Especially since there were powered heroes during WW2 on Legends? Hell what about the Hawks and Vandal Savage? They had powers since ancient Egypt or whatever. Im just saying this is a lame reason to be like, "Sorry, THE CANON tells us Black Lightning must be segregated from the other shows." If they really wanted to, they could make it work, so what's the real reason they aren't connected?

Separate, but Equal (Earths)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Most likely showrunner egos. Everyone wants their own sandbox, because they are totally creative, they swear, you just gotta let them spread their wings and create ART.*

*Disclaimer: Said art will be a pretty run of the mill product 99% of the time.

Not being in the Arrowverse sure didnt save BL from not so great costume designs, that's for sure.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A lot of these shows can barely keep track of their own continuity, they don't want to have to remember that some other show did something 3 seasons ago that makes their current plot point not make sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

All I'm saying is when Law and Order crossed over with Homicide, nobody went through a portal.

Clearly you've never been to Baltimore.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

This looks good to you?

Yes. I've enjoyed the Gotham character designs and I'm excited if this is the Joker.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Retro Futurist posted:

A lot of these shows can barely keep track of their own continuity, they don't want to have to remember that some other show did something 3 seasons ago that makes their current plot point not make sense.

This would be valid if making TV shows were their hobby and not part of a massive industry where tv shows spends millions of dollars per year on budgets and where thousands of people work for a living because it is their career. It's not easy work but this excuse is like throwing away an entire bag of groceries because you realized you wouldn't be able to carry all of them in one trip from your car, not because it would be physically impossible, but because you refused to prepare for this increasingly likely situation. "I'll guess I'll just eat less things!" Rather than getting a cart to wheel it over, making two trips, or doing some damned push ups.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Flash is explicitly a spin off of Arrow, but the other shows don't gain much by being in the same universe. Stuff like where was Supergirl when that small town got nuked in Arrow, or why didn't Flash help when an Alien invasive happened in his friend Supergirl's home town?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Comixace/status/977245761363685376

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

The Flash is explicitly a spin off of Arrow, but the other shows don't gain much by being in the same universe. Stuff like where was Supergirl when that small town got nuked in Arrow, or why didn't Flash help when an Alien invasive happened in his friend Supergirl's home town?

Supergirl isn't on the same Earth as the rest of the Arrow people. They share a "universe" in the narrative sense. The Arrow "universe" is a shared multiverse. So far the producers of BL have stated that it is not part of that for some reason.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Haven't watched it yet but twitter last night was saying that BL namedropped vixen and supergirl