Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
the only major thing I miss from early diablo 3 days is the sense of like encounter progression - I'd be cool if they could implement that into the journey as more than just a pale facade (defeat izual on Master :o)

like, complete gr20 solo to unlock an instanced dungeon with a boss you'll bang your head against a few times, reward is like a cube slot or something, 200 dbs, a gift, something tangible

then complete gr80 or something to unlock a final dungeon of the season with a badass boss that gives you some cool poo poo (consumable to upgrade a piece of gear to primal or something, dunno)

THEN it's leaderboard farming

I dunno, even tho vanilla mostly sucked, I miss pounding my head against act bosses until my friend and I figured it out, was a nice sense of progression despite all the bullshit, and though I enjoy the seasonal return to d3 now a lot as like... grindy therapy , it completely lacks this element and is now basically more involved cookie clicker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I explain that by seasons and rifts and the journey being an afterthought to the game, a solid afterthought, but nevertheless. Next time they'll be going planning seasons and rifts and a map for character progression across 10 difficulty levels from the start, and they'd be crazy not to integrate it more tightly with the rest of the game.

Personally I think it might be cool for the kind of bosses you're talking about to be story bosses and areas, but I don't know how popular that would be.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Diablo is at its best when it's easy. Plenty of other games offer the exciting opportunity to bash your head against a wall for hours, when I load up Diablo the Third I wanna pull the monster slots as fast as possible until I get bored please and thank you.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Is the Rathma support Barb build any use for anything else?

I haven't really played Barb at all but I have built a WW support Barb and I'm wondering how I learn the Rathma play style or get into a Rat group who can teach me.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

Is the Rathma support Barb build any use for anything else?

I haven't really played Barb at all but I have built a WW support Barb and I'm wondering how I learn the Rathma play style or get into a Rat group who can teach me.

1. Spin around the dps necros collecting globes while keeping IP/Sprint up.
2. Click pylons when you find them (with nems), then go back to step 1.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
rip gogo. he died doing what he loved best; conning other people to do hardcore with him and power leveling them into areas he's ill equipped for while they wait at the rift entrance.

https://i.imgur.com/loXil2m.gifv

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Maker Of Shoes posted:

rip gogo. he died doing what he loved best; conning other people to do hardcore with him and power leveling them into areas he's ill equipped for while they wait at the rift entrance.

Wait which one was this?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
RIP Gogo.

Unless it happens to spawn right by the floor entrance, has running away from a Rift boss ever led to anything but instadeath? :haw:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh man... I had remembered to change out of my Speed farm gear, but not skills, so I went in to this grift with angry chicken instead of soul harvest, but no Manujuma's set.

A non idiot would've said "oops let's reset" but.... :downs:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Jan posted:

RIP Gogo.

Unless it happens to spawn right by the floor entrance, has running away from a Rift boss ever led to anything but instadeath? :haw:

I was Bell Monking with a zdps Barb and and a hard carry wearing blue poo poo last night in a GR85 or whatever and the dumb boss was cold snap who kept hanging at the bottom of the screen (low fov on console) and I forgot to equip stricken, so he kept proccing my cheat death as I tried to reposition. I'd just run and hide until it came back, ftw ftew.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Wait which one was this?

This was Gogo's WD that was pleveling my new monk. I was safely by the rift entrance listing to gogo go "ohhhhhhhhfuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck" [onscreen prompt] MULTIPLAYER BONUS IS NO LONGER ACTIVE

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

So some shitheel on Reddit (I know, I know) is claiming that Greater Rifts at higher levels are tailored to your class. Things like Demon Hunters are more likely to see Reflect Damage (for some reason).

https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo3/comments/8691w0/adaptive_dungeons/

I found an interview with a Blizz employee saying that Neph rifts are completely random but annoyingly I can't find anything about Greater rifts directly from Blizzard. Presumably they are just as random?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Newbie questions. So when I played Diablo 2 fifteen years ago, you just ran bosses and the cow level over and over once you hit max level. I assume in this game you don’t do that? You do these neph/greater rifts? Are there other options or is it pretty much only those two? I’m level 55 right now, in the final act of the story mode. Just trying to figure out what’s next once I finish it.

Also when does this season end?

Either way I’m a monk and I’m having fun dropping bells on people and destroying hundreds of demons. I recently got a unique weapon with crazy stats on it, so I’ve just been completely decimating even the toughest enemies I’ve faced (including Diablo, etc) within 10 seconds or so. Is that normal? I’m playing on Expert.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

RCarr posted:

Newbie questions. So when I played Diablo 2 fifteen years ago, you just ran bosses and the cow level over and over once you hit max level. I assume in this game you don’t do that? You do these neph/greater rifts? Are there other options or is it pretty much only those two? I’m level 55 right now, in the final act of the story mode. Just trying to figure out what’s next once I finish it.

Also when does this season end?

Either way I’m a monk and I’m having fun dropping bells on people and destroying hundreds of demons. I recently got a unique weapon with crazy stats on it, so I’ve just been completely decimating even the toughest enemies I’ve faced (including Diablo, etc) within 10 seconds or so. Is that normal?

You have it pretty well figured out. Follow the Season Journey to unlock a six piece set and then go from there. Season end has not been announced yet and the season is only a few weeks old so far.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

So some shitheel on Reddit (I know, I know) is claiming that Greater Rifts at higher levels are tailored to your class. Things like Demon Hunters are more likely to see Reflect Damage (for some reason).

https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo3/comments/8691w0/adaptive_dungeons/

I found an interview with a Blizz employee saying that Neph rifts are completely random but annoyingly I can't find anything about Greater rifts directly from Blizzard. Presumably they are just as random?

I'm sure its just confirmation bias but playing my DH this season I have noticed a lot more Reflect Damage than I have while playing other characters. Like, I was seriously confused as to why rares always seemed to be throwing poo poo back at me and then I started paying attention more and a very great number of them seem to have reflect.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

What would be the reasoning behind that though? I find Reflect laughably easy to deal with on my DH.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

WhatEvil posted:

So some shitheel on Reddit (I know, I know)

But do you?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I've noticed a lot of reflect elites as well, yet I am on my nuclear bell monk. On top of that I only have played my monk recently so it's impossible to have enough data for me to conclude anything beyond "well I feel like".

So yeah, confirmation bias.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I got an Ancient puzzle ring... Are they good for anything outside cubing into a gate to whimsydale?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Puzzle rings go to the vault
Staff of Herding goes to Whimsyshire
Rainbow Goblins go to Whimsydale
Bovine Bardiche go to Cow Level

None of these really have a purpose beyond those things.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Hopper posted:

I got an Ancient puzzle ring... Are they good for anything outside cubing into a gate to whimsydale?

You could blow a bunch of mats reforging it in hopes of getting a Primal one and then and ONLY then can you join the elite crew of Primal Puzzle Ring Havers.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Mindblast posted:

I've noticed a lot of reflect elites as well, yet I am on my nuclear bell monk. On top of that I only have played my monk recently so it's impossible to have enough data for me to conclude anything beyond "well I feel like".

Literally every elite pack out there is Molten when I switch to my melee DB farming gear. :colbert:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Dameius posted:

Puzzle rings go to the vault
Staff of Herding goes to Whimsyshire
Rainbow Goblins go to Whimsydale
Bovine Bardiche go to Cow Level

None of these really have a purpose beyond those things.

Um an equipped bovine bardiche is a key cog in the "have as many dudes following you as possible" build

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You could blow a bunch of mats reforging it in hopes of getting a Primal one and then and ONLY then can you join the elite crew of Primal Puzzle Ring Havers.

of which I am the player-president

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

of which I am the player-president

loving lmao you even bothered to roll it. my literal first primal in diablo was a Puzzle lol

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

WhatEvil posted:

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/demon-hunter-the-thrill-conquest-build-season-12-patch-2-6-1

I used this and it was SUPER easy. You don't even need all of that gear.

Thanks this helped. Turns out I already did all but of the last journey items.
Currently levelling my gems to 70, then I need to figure out what 3rd conquest thing I am going to do.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

The easiest seem to be the level 75 rift solo, The Thrill and the 350 mobs from a chest one - there are communities for that one.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Man, even after a few weeks that adrenaline rush of tripping your cheat death on HC is insane.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

what's the general consensus on which difficulty to go to and when? I've always played on hard until I've got a few rares then bumped to expert once I'm oneshotting trash mobs. I'm still getting my current season character up to 70 but after that what then? I prematurely jumped to Torment I just now but with 65k dps that was a massive overestimation of what I could do. What's the sweet spot for how many hits it should take to kill trash mobs with standard attacks before thinking about bumping up for the xp/loot?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Before 70 it doesn't matter, after 70 adjust the difficulty so you one or two shot mobs and take less than ten seconds for elite packs.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Hexenritter posted:

what's the general consensus on which difficulty to go to and when? I've always played on hard until I've got a few rares then bumped to expert once I'm oneshotting trash mobs. I'm still getting my current season character up to 70 but after that what then? I prematurely jumped to Torment I just now but with 65k dps that was a massive overestimation of what I could do. What's the sweet spot for how many hits it should take to kill trash mobs with standard attacks before thinking about bumping up for the xp/loot?

I consider Expert a bit of a trap difficulty, it's like 50% (75%?) harder than Master for 25% more rewards (numbers aren't right but the concept is). I normally alternate Hard/Master depending on what loot I've found and then knock it up to T1 at least as soon as possible at 70 to get working on my sets.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Stick to hard all the way up. If you do a challenge rift and get the reward from it, then you can pump your crafters up and have leftover mats to spare.

If you do that, then you can craft level 70 yellow two hand weapons until you get a - 30 level requirement (or something close to it).

Once you have that weapon you can do T1 until your 60s or so and then it might slow down enough that you drop it back to Master to ride out until 70.

Then at 70 use the metric that the other dude posted.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I have basically no idea what I'm doing and I'm currently up to level 55 or so playing on Expert. I wish I could turn the difficulty up more because it's laughably easy.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hard until you get a level 70 weapon with reduced level requirement, then master until somewhere in the 60s where mobs catch up with your weapon then hard until cap

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RCarr posted:

I have basically no idea what I'm doing and I'm currently up to level 55 or so playing on Expert. I wish I could turn the difficulty up more because it's laughably easy.

You're playing on Xbox, aren't you?

Are you playing a Seasonal character?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Get him on Team Alpha Fuccbois let's goooo

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yes, a seasonal character on Xbox One.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Shame it's one of the legendaries without an affix. Still, could be good for screwing around between seasons.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 23, 2018

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Found yourself a nice pile of forgotten souls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A frustratingly large number of my primals have been generic legendaries.