Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm sure they'll add a way to get Amenos replicas once you're at the next step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

DRK job quest won me over completely at the level 50 quest when Fray is like "Like hell we let them take our weapons. Don't you remember Ul'dah? Never again" and I'm sitting there like "You're goddamn right".

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Rhjamiz posted:

DRK job quest won me over completely at the level 50 quest when Fray is like "Like hell we let them take our weapons. Don't you remember Ul'dah? Never again" and I'm sitting there like "You're goddamn right".

The opening quest had me hooked. I was very much "Smash the state, eat the rich, Nidhogg is an rear end in a top hat, but he had a point" during 3.1/3.2 and quests involving murdering a heap of lovely ishgardian knights was very cathartic.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

DRK quests sound awesome. Conjurer has been alright til the WHM quests where I deal with E-sumi's lovely family tree.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

DRK quests sound awesome. Conjurer has been alright til the WHM quests where I deal with E-sumi's lovely family tree.

Have you cleansed the taint yet?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

Christ on a cracker, pubbies tonight. Susano normal did not look that loving hard in a brief video guide I glanced at, but it apparently breaks tanks' brains.

Yeah, that was my first experience, too.

Look forward to Susano EX. :shepface:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
AST quests are great and I won't have anyone maligning my best friend Jannequinard :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I've found all of the mage questlines to be pretty boring, honestly.

Except Summoner.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nomadic Scholar posted:

WHM 60-70 is pretty good.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Which class has the easiest rotation if i just want to sit back, relax, and not mash too many buttons?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

sailormoon posted:

Which class has the easiest rotation if i just want to sit back, relax, and not mash too many buttons?

Red mage's rotation is pretty basic even at level 70.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I would say RDM is the easiest dps, PLD tank, and WHM healer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sailormoon posted:

Red Mage for DPS, Dark Knight for tank and WHM for healer.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
if you can turret uninterrupted then blm's rotation is pretty static, RDM's has all those verfires and poo poo

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Yeah, but you rarely can. In a vacuum BLM is pretty easy. In practice I don't think it is, you have to have a good awareness and knowledge of the fight to do well. But I haven't ever mained BLM, maybe that's why I think it's harder!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

BLM is definitely significantly harder than RDM in practice. It's a lot easier than it was in 3.x but you still need to be really aware of where mechanics are going to be and placing your leylines accordingly or your dps will plummet. RDM has a lower dps ceiling but it's a lot easier to adapt to mechanics and you have that chain-rez utility.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

My eyes glazed over watching what I thought was a full summoner rotation video and then after a few minutes they were like "and that's the opener!" :stare:

I imagine it doesn't seem as complex once you do it for a bit, but that is a bit daunting and it was the ranged dps i was looking at.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The SMN opener is blowing through 2 minutes of the standard rotation in 30 seconds. It's nowhere near as hectic after the opener.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
As DRK, I melded my accessories with Strength, my left side gear with Direct Hit (and when capped moved to Crit). What do I do for my weapon? Direct Hit as well?

I'm just using the Anemos gear so I have the 5 full slots. It's pretty cool being able to meld five Grade VI materia.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eltoasto posted:

My eyes glazed over watching what I thought was a full summoner rotation video and then after a few minutes they were like "and that's the opener!" :stare:

I imagine it doesn't seem as complex once you do it for a bit, but that is a bit daunting and it was the ranged dps i was looking at.
It gets introduced to you in chunks so you kind of master one chord up to 50, then there's another chord you develop in HW, and then there's a finale you lead up to in SB and then you're playing the 1812 Overture finale with rave lights and you rip aggro off the tank and you die and your carbuncle/jalapeno gives you a disappointed look as it, too, dies.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

All of the DPS classes will look terrifyingly complicated if you watch a video of their openers without context or familiarity with the skills, even RDM. Most will feel pretty intuitive with a little thought at 70 after playing the class for a while (with a couple exceptions. SAM.......) If you're playing the class in dungeons as you level, doing your best, and always thinking "how can I squeeze more damage into this?" you'll probably end up a ways toward the optimal rotation on your own.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

BLM is definitely significantly harder than RDM in practice. It's a lot easier than it was in 3.x but you still need to be really aware of where mechanics are going to be and placing your leylines accordingly or your dps will plummet. RDM has a lower dps ceiling but it's a lot easier to adapt to mechanics and you have that chain-rez utility.

More importantly, you have to mess up RDM on a really fundamental level (not getting that you're supposed to cast your faster spells to Dualcast the longer ones, maintain your mana levels within 30 of each other, actually go in to do your melee combo at 80+ etc.) in order to actually mess it up bad.
If you mess up BLM at a bad time you'll drop a buff (Enochian or even worse, Astral/Umbral) and your DPS will go flying down a flight of stairs with only a few tools to let you recover it quickly. Even then, it's not pretty to watch or feel.

Also openers are generally pretty complicated to watch without context but once you know the context and build the muscle memory for it (SAM's openers are both about hitting all the buttons you can and setting up those buttons for you to hit again when they come up) it's not that complex.

I need to learn my opener for NIN, DRG and SMN because I've been too busy focusing on PLD, SAM and having fun with RDM to actually figure out how the 70 capstones fit in with what I already know (BRD and MCH are thankfully pretty easy in that regard and MNK is all muscle memory.)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The other thing about BLM is that your mobility is very dependent on your teammates, because a lot of it is tied up into Aetherial Manipulation and you really have to trust your teammates if you want to get real use out of it.

If you want to stand there casting until the last second, you've got to have faith that they're going to move in time for you to manipulate out and that they're going to position themselves so that you're safe when you land from it. If you can't trust that they're gonna do that, then you've got to run for and so your mobility tool is useless to you.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Die Sexmonster! posted:

"I couldn't click it"

I was in a Susano Ex farm group with a machinist once who always, every time, without fail set his turret on the spot where the blade shadow would later appear. And with every successful kill he placed his turret a little closer to the exact shadow position on the next try.

Guess what happened eventually.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Lol at the idea of blm ever being easier than rdm. Even if you never have to move you still have to execute as fast as you can in the correct order so that nothing drops and everything continues to line up. Rdm can sit there and waste entire gcds or occasionally hit poo poo in the wrong order, but as long as you don't cap mana or get them too far away then you won't be punished by losing a resource, and you'll still be bringing a party wide DPS buff and utility.

About the worst thing a rdm can do is drop melee combo or ver holy/flare.

And don't even get me started on the AoE rotation.

E: my hot tip for pug blm is to focus the most trust worthy healer at the start, then use an AM macro that tries to AM to your target, and failing that AMs to your focus target. Then you can zip to whoever you need to, or just smash it to zip to that healer (without even untargeting the enemy). Been doing that since ARR but it's been crazy good with the recent changes.

E2: just be sure you pay attention when you focus clears so you don't stand there helplessly mashing it and eating chariot right after the canals transition in rab.

itskage fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 23, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I'm still crossing my fingers that 5.0 brings about Dancer-healer/Blue Mage-tank.

I would drop my AST in a hot loving second for a dancer healer.

I'd be all about a BLU tank. It's already a job that's defined by getting hit by stuff. It's a perfect fit for tank!

All it'd need to feel like a "real" Blue Mage would be monster-themed actions and job quests that involve hunting down monsters to learn magic from. Maybe a couple of abilities that let you anticipate an attack and reverse it or something like that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
BLU better get bad breath.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Truga posted:

BLU better get bad breath.

That would be their version of flash or overpower.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It would be their LB3, debuffing the crap out of the boss.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

All of the DPS classes will look terrifyingly complicated if you watch a video of their openers without context or familiarity with the skills, even RDM. Most will feel pretty intuitive with a little thought at 70 after playing the class for a while (with a couple exceptions. SAM.......) If you're playing the class in dungeons as you level, doing your best, and always thinking "how can I squeeze more damage into this?" you'll probably end up a ways toward the optimal rotation on your own.

SAM's opener can look a bit funky until it's burned into muscle memory, but after that it's mostly a master of cycling through three combos in order, and refreshing Higabana when it's almost expired. The less obvious but really important parts are that using Hagakure at three sen is virtually always better than using Megatsu Setsugekka because More Shinten, and Meikyo Shisui can be used after finishing any combo, not just when you have no sen stored.

It gets weirder when bosses jump at odd times and force you to adjust your combo order on the fly but that issue isn't unique to SAM.

E: full disclosure I had to look up the names for half those skill names because I mostly know them as "the button that does the thing"

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 23, 2018

Pyramid schema
Aug 14, 2017
I feel like I'm the only person that hated the 60-70 DRK quest line sometimes. I don't care if that little elven kid was supposed to be your manifestation of despair/regret over killing people throughout the story. He came off as an exceedingly whiny character and I couldn't stand him even with the reveal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pyramid schema posted:

I feel like I'm the only person that hated the 60-70 DRK quest line sometimes. I don't care if that little elven kid was supposed to be your manifestation of despair/regret over killing people throughout the story. He came off as an exceedingly whiny character and I couldn't stand him even with the reveal.

the reveal is great because frey shows up, tells myste (or whatever his name was) to eat poo poo, and then you go gently caress poo poo up.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Pyramid schema posted:

Nah I'm also in the post-50 DRK quest is all overrated camp, though the cameo in the final duty makes it not rear end. Still not the best level 70 cameo but definitely the one most sorely needed. That said a lot of people go gaga over Sigurdurr or whatever and I can't stand that guy either. Honestly I don't even like Fray, he's way over the top and ridiculous and only redeemed by the level 50 reveal and only works in the 70 quest because Myste is so insufferable and Sigurdurr so useless you're just begging for any release from this garbage.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Man I still don't do the SMN opener right. There's too many double oGCD weaves in there for me to feel comfortable.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Glagha posted:

Man I still don't do the SMN opener right. There's too many double oGCD weaves in there for me to feel comfortable.

I'm leveling a sMN and dont' really get it either, can anyone explain it. I don't feel like I'm doing any DPS especially at lvl 50 synced

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Khizan posted:

The other thing about BLM is that your mobility is very dependent on your teammates, because a lot of it is tied up into Aetherial Manipulation and you really have to trust your teammates if you want to get real use out of it.

If you want to stand there casting until the last second, you've got to have faith that they're going to move in time for you to manipulate out and that they're going to position themselves so that you're safe when you land from it. If you can't trust that they're gonna do that, then you've got to run for and so your mobility tool is useless to you.

I tend to look at it like this:

BLM is really, really good if you're teamed up with people who are familiar with the content, you're familiar with the content and everything is on point.

Since I don't play with a static group of people and enjoy having the ability to drop everything to try to reverse a potential wipe, I main RDM.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Rdm is the easiest dps by far but I still hate impact.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

slev posted:

Rdm is the easiest dps by far but I still hate impact.

Seriously, is there any situation you wouldn't want to cast it over Jolt 2? Why doesn't it just override the hotkey when it's active?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Rainuwastaken posted:

Seriously, is there any situation you wouldn't want to cast it over Jolt 2? Why doesn't it just override the hotkey when it's active?

I suppose if you don't want a big flower to blind everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

It really, really should.

Honestly the single-target melee combo should be one button, too. There's no reason you'd ever use them out of order. Ever. For any reason. And whatever "skill" is added by the possibility that a player will press the wrong button and gently caress up their combo is absolutely minimal. Other jobs' melee combos tend to branch, or have attacks that are part of more than one combo. Samurai, for example, has branching combos, while Monk's stance system means that you have multiple options for which attack you use at each step of the combo. That's not the case for Red Mage, so the option to use the attacks out of order is a false choice.

I guess it doesn't speak highly of the job's complexity, but I'm pretty sure you could treat most of Red Mage's attacks the way they're treated in PvP and it wouldn't lose any depth at all. It might gain some depth, actually, because Verstone and Verfire aren't procs--they're more powerful, but more costly, attacks that you use over Jolt II/Impact when you can afford to. That's maybe not a useful balancing method in PvE, but the idea of Verstone and Verfire being something a player chooses to use for a specific reason instead of "it procced and therefore I should use it instead of Jolt II/Impact" would be a positive change in my opinion.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 23, 2018