Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Outsider was fine. I guess people just want to poo poo on Netflix Originals and poo poo on Jared Leto.
Why do silly comic book movies and sci-fi/fantasy popcorn CGI garbage get kid gloves treatment? The Outsider was predictable, and by the numbers, but you can definitely say that about a shitload of films that get fellated these days, why does The Outsider get dinged for that? Civil War has "thought-provoking themes" ( :lol: ) but an okay gangster flick gets savaged?
If it's The Last Samurai effect then they better be burning their copies of that too.

I got a kick out of Jared Leto having his own little HEY PAUL!! moment, especially cuz how stupid + drunk do you have to be as Emile Hirsch. This dude is clearly cold and unsettled, directly says NO I DON'T WANT YOU OVER, IN FACT I CAN BARELY STAND TALKING TO YOU, you decide to mildly threaten him with snitching about his AWOL status or whatever it is, he immediately goes OH WAIT NVM YOU CAN COME OVER...and you...decide to go over to his house??? :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Outsider is easily my favorite of the most recent batch of original movies. It was very solid, and will definitely scratch the itch if you love yakuza flicks.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The Looming Tower seems pretty good. Feels like Homeland without the crazy blonde. I do feel like it has been done many times before.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Blind Rasputin posted:

The Looming Tower seems pretty good. Feels like Homeland without the crazy blonde. I do feel like it has been done many times before.

But does it have jazz music?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The Outsider was fine. I guess people just want to poo poo on Netflix Originals

I don't understand why people say stuff like this. Is is just defensiveness? People want to think that all the stuff they personally like is "objectively good"?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 20, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, it's just that a lot of stuff Netflix makes that is mediocre (Bright) or actually pretty good (The Outsider) gets poo poo on by "professional" reviews and knocked down two review pegs, meaning that even an excellent film gets "average" reviews on RT and a medicore one gets 15%. There are exceptions, but I have a feeling a lot of the pro review places may have a bias, intentional or not.

No doubt a lot of things Netflix has made is garbage. But a lot of the good stuff is grouped with that, for whatever reason.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bright was definitely unfairly poo poo upon. Even if you don't like the film, the savaging it got was still unwarranted. I doubt it was because it was a Netflix Original though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Frankenstein Chronicles is loving rad yo

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No, it's just that a lot of stuff Netflix makes that is mediocre (Bright) or actually pretty good (The Outsider) gets poo poo on by "professional" reviews and knocked down two review pegs,

That's just not true. People just get overly upset when they like something that doesn't get well-reviewed.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
General opinion is that the film critics massively overreacted to it. I actually heard worst movie ever tossed around at one point.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Lycus posted:

That's just not true. People just get overly upset when they like something that doesn't get well-reviewed.

I watched Bright. It was mediocre, a good popcorn flick. As TMM posted, though, a lot of critics were saying it was the worst film of all time. Completely not true. I'm certainly not getting upset about it, just pointing out an observation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tweet my meat posted:

Frankenstein Chronicles is loving rad yo

Most def.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched Bright. It was mediocre, a good popcorn flick. As TMM posted, though, a lot of critics were saying it was the worst film of all time. Completely not true. I'm certainly not getting upset about it, just pointing out an observation.

I tried to say this when Mute came out and it was a shitshow. I agree but it's a conversation not worth bothering with.

Unpopular opinion: Netflix is probably the best content producer/curator at the moment and is a drat good deal. I'm really preferring their steady stream of original shows, movies and decent indie films to whatever other people wish it was. I consistently find decent stuff to watch while I struggle to find anything on Hulu or HBO now, and Amazon is a real mixed bag.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Amazon has higher highs and Netflix has lower lows. I haven't seen an Amazon Original as bad as, say, that werewolf one Netflix had. And I haven't seen a Netflix Original as good as Patriot or Ms. Maisel.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

I tried to say this when Mute came out and it was a shitshow. I agree but it's a conversation not worth bothering with.

Unpopular opinion: Netflix is probably the best content producer/curator at the moment and is a drat good deal. I'm really preferring their steady stream of original shows, movies and decent indie films to whatever other people wish it was. I consistently find decent stuff to watch while I struggle to find anything on Hulu or HBO now, and Amazon is a real mixed bag.

I feel like HBO is ranked third behind netflix and amazon. Once you’ve worked your way through the shows you want to see on HBO there really aren’t many compelling movies keeping you there... plus amazon already has a good amount of HBO content attached to it if you ever need a quick fix.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HBO has the highest highs, but the content is so limited it just feels like diminishing returns the longer you have it. If I wasn't just using my brother's account I'd just sub 1-2 months out of the year, binge, and cancel. It's not really viable as a year round service that is worth having. I haven't watched anything on it except John Oliver since the Deuce ended. And I could really take or leave that show. Their movie selection has really sucked lately too. I can't remember the last time something popped up I was excited for or even watched for that matter. I watched an hour of Wonder Woman and it was boring.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So I'm watching Wild Wild Country and wow this is already nuts

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hard To Be A God is on Google Play. How is that movie?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

precision posted:

The Path should've been a straight up dramatization of the Rahjneesees.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

veni veni veni posted:

HBO has the highest highs, but the content is so limited it just feels like diminishing returns the longer you have it. If I wasn't just using my brother's account I'd just sub 1-2 months out of the year, binge, and cancel. It's not really viable as a year round service that is worth having. I haven't watched anything on it except John Oliver since the Deuce ended. And I could really take or leave that show. Their movie selection has really sucked lately too. I can't remember the last time something popped up I was excited for or even watched for that matter. I watched an hour of Wonder Woman and it was boring.
I agree with this, but I would probably still put HBO Now above Hulu. I only subscribe to both of these for a few months out of the year while it seems like I never completely run out of stuff I want to watch on Netflix. Take Berlin Babylon and The Frankenstein Chronicles, for example - those came out of nowhere, I had no idea they existed, and now they’re probably what I’ll watch next.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You're doing some weird beep boop projection tbh, this isn't a case of me liking The Outsider and trying to justify it to myself cuz it wasn't well reviewed. I just saw it after it got savaged in reviews and thought "hey this ISN'T terrible".

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

The first 45 minutes of episode one were so boring I fell asleep. When does it get crazy?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The MSJ posted:

Watch without any distractions if possible.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

veni veni veni posted:

HBO has the highest highs, but the content is so limited it just feels like diminishing returns the longer you have it.

2018 might be lowest point ever for HBO since they became the place for Sunday night viewing. Yes WW is coming back, but nothing on the level of The Leftovers. I had hopes for Here & Now. While not bad it is not as good as even the lowest point of SFU (season 4). I do have hopes for Barry, and Silicon Valley is always a fun watch.

precision posted:

I think Amazon has higher highs and Netflix has lower lows. I haven't seen an Amazon Original as bad as, say, that werewolf one Netflix had. And I haven't seen a Netflix Original as good as Patriot or Ms. Maisel.

I agree Netflix has more lows, but it also has more highs than Amazon (and I think Patriot is the best show of 2017).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I know I'm several pages late, but I'm watching Somebody Feed Phil. The guy is one living breathing dad joke, and the show is enjoyable despite that.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sock The Great posted:

The first 45 minutes of episode one were so boring I fell asleep. When does it get crazy?

Wild Wild Country is like a slow snowball kind of a thing. It just layers and layers, with the common townsfolk pulling nasty tricks, and then the culters pull nasty tricks, and it just bounces til the point where it's no longer easy to say "Oh, those are the lovely people and those are the poor victims."

By the end, there was some resolution, but even then, even knowing the lovely things that were done by which lovely people, you still came away with a great story from either side.

FOR EXAMPLE, if you're on the side of the townsfolk who had to put up with crazy maroon hippies blowing up their tiny failing town of 50 people, it's got everything you need to get a hard on for sticking it to the hippies.

IF, however, you're on the side of free expression and religion, and moving out to the country to get away from it all start a whole new way of life, only to be hounded by old timey conservatives who'll stop at nothing to drive your happy family out of town, you'll get your freedom boner as well.

It's mind-blowing. The doc makers really didn't take a side. I don't think I've seen a documentary like this one - where both sides cop to pulling some low poo poo, and both sides are poo poo upon. I STILL don't know which side I feel for.

Edit - and hell yes, I binged it straight through.

Edit II: The Editing: All that said, I WILL say I had no fucks to give for the Australian woman who tried to kill the doctor. She followed orders blindly, and again later to purchase guns, and then is weeping about her son with brain cancer. I totally get it, it's a tear jerker, but seriously, she'd tried to kill several people.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 20, 2018

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

No, it's just that a lot of stuff Netflix makes that is mediocre (Bright) or actually pretty good (The Outsider) gets poo poo on by "professional" reviews and knocked down two review pegs, meaning that even an excellent film gets "average" reviews on RT and a medicore one gets 15%. There are exceptions, but I have a feeling a lot of the pro review places may have a bias, intentional or not.

No doubt a lot of things Netflix has made is garbage. But a lot of the good stuff is grouped with that, for whatever reason.

The outsider was the exact definition of mediocre though.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sock The Great posted:

for me, episode 2 is when it really hooked me. once the controversy really starts and they're playing that hippie music over the news montage. thanks posters this was the quality documentary series i was looking for after Dirty Money!

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

The MSJ posted:

It's...very dense and very bleak. Definitely not an easy watch. Given the premise, do not expect a sci-fi movie.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I want to see a trashy prison escape or man on the run/escaped fugitive movie on Netflix or Amazon Prime. I found the Last Rampge, which seems way too serious for what I'm looking for - something that JCVD could star in, for example.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

clockworkjoe posted:

I want to see a trashy prison escape or man on the run/escaped fugitive movie on Netflix or Amazon Prime. I found the Last Rampge, which seems way too serious for what I'm looking for - something that JCVD could star in, for example.

Prison Break season 3

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Escape Plan was pretty good but idk where that’s on streaming

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwwxNbtK6Y

I'll check this out. I sorta get a Foot Fist Way vibe from it. It'd probably be better without Macchio, but you gotta have him in there for the brand recognition.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
yeah totally gonna watch that. Cobrai Kai best dojo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nah, it needs Macchio. It needs a villain.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

I like that it has Danny set up to be an oblivious rear end in a top hat villain.

When I heard they were doing it I rolled my eyes, but it actually looks good.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Steve Yun posted:

You know what. You're absolutely correct and I take all that back.

Yeah the first trailer they dropped didn't really do it for me, but that one has me sold on it.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

magnificent7 posted:

It's mind-blowing. The doc makers really didn't take a side. I don't think I've seen a documentary like this one - where both sides cop to pulling some low poo poo, and both sides are poo poo upon. I STILL don't know which side I feel for.

Check out Welcome to Leith sometime. Left me with some similar feelings. And it's on Netflix!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Game Over Man, the workaholics Netflix movie, is really good if you're into their sort of hijinks. It's also got some amazing cameo appearances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

precision posted:

Game Over Man, the workaholics Netflix movie, is really good if you're into their sort of hijinks. It's also got some amazing cameo appearances

It's rocking a 0% but the wife and I loved it. It's gross and immature, but we laughed.