Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TTerrible posted:

Have you seen the winning list from Adepticon? Have you been paying attention at all? 8th is basically formation hell that 7th was and its got there in record time. Armies aren't in any way interesting any more its just optimised spreadsheets. Don't make me post the shield captains again. People not being able to see or admit this and instead getting mad as hell is very good.

90% of the issues with 7th were formations and the codexes. 30k strips all that out because its rooted in 5th/6th :ssh:

Yes I've seen the winning list from adepticon. Its STILL not even close to the hell that was 7th where everyone got 1000 free points of rules and models just for showing up. Plus the idea that lists must conform to your subjective idea of "interesting" for the game to be balanced is pure solipsism.

No matter how many shield captains you post you will never get away from the fact that 7th edition had foundational game design errors that 8th edition has solved (allies matrix turning into keywords, the elimination of formations, the elimination of vehicles having an unnecessary unique ruleset, the elimination of death star Independent Character units) plus GW's commitment to ongoing balance updates is there to catch anything that slips through the cracks (smite and characters blocking for characters).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Are you ready for the new Armigers?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

Gentlemen you can’t fight in here, this is the Warhammer room!

You're not allowed to post funny things in this thread sorry.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Frobbe posted:

Are you ready for the new Armigers?

:perfect:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TTerrible posted:

90% of the issues with 7th were formations and the codexes. 30k strips all that out because its rooted in 5th/6th :ssh:

Im the representation of 5th and 6th Editions as golden eras of 40k rules.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

should i revive the death thread or not

it'll keep the dumber poo poo out of the main threads at least

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

Yes I've seen the winning list from adepticon. Its STILL not even close to the hell that was 7th where everyone got 1000 free points of rules and models just for showing up. Plus the idea that lists must conform to your subjective idea of "interesting" for the game to be balanced is pure solipsism.

Wanting armies to remotely match the background of the universe is pure solipism. The winning adepticon list spamming unstoppable waves of poo poo combining Khorne, Slaanesh and Nurgle is very good. I just think it'd be great to have armies able to be competitive and have even slight nods to the background material instead of appearing like a MTG tournament deck constructed by a problem solving alg fed with codexes.

AnEdgelord posted:

No matter how many shield captains you post you will never get away from the fact that 7th edition had foundational game design errors that 8th edition has solved (allies matrix turning into keywords, the elimination of formations, the elimination of vehicles having an unnecessary unique ruleset, the elimination of death star Independent Character units) plus GW's commitment to ongoing balance updates is there to catch anything that slips through the cracks (smite and characters blocking for characters).

TTerrible posted:

Supreme command, mixing and matching subfactions and having no benefits to staying monofaction does not at all mirror the bullshit formation lists that we saw at the end of 7th. Not. at. all.

1k of free stuff? Not yet. The rest of it, sure.

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 23, 2018

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

You've been theorycrafting your army for that long and still have not played?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Forums Terrorist posted:

should i revive the death thread or not

it'll keep the dumber poo poo out of the main threads at least

Ironically the dumbest poo poo of all gets crossposted, so all you’ll be doing is mirroring the other threads.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

About repentia specifically or just all the boob plate?

Unsurprisingly, both!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Uh, no. Because 30k is rooted in 5th/6th a lot of the stuff people are complaining about in 7th never actually made it to 30k.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Lol if you don't think 6th was better than the tire fire of "just 1 year later" 7th edition.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

TTerrible posted:

Hey, it started because a 40k poster was so incredibly hurt by criticisms they had to run back to this thread for backup (how many CP was that?!) We were happy in our containment zone.Looks like the conversation has to come here now :shrug:

Supreme command, mixing and matching subfactions and having no benefits to staying monofaction does not at all mirror the bullshit formation lists that we saw at the end of 7th. Not. at. all.

Guys, guys. All games are bad. hth.

30k is much less bad

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
'least we aren't Warmahordes.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

30k should go bad to the real golden era of 40k, which was 3rd. Ordinance damage tables, different types of dangerous terrain with their own rules, crossfire...

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Schadenboner posted:

yes also this I don't get.

I distinctly remember everyone loving despising the 4th->5th transition.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Shadin posted:

Guys, guys. All games are bad. hth.

30k is much less bad

Completely cool to discuss the problems 30k has (a lot. Inferno, especially) - people just get extremely weird when 8th is criticised.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

Why do so many 'hams have a hateboner for WM/H? You can do both if you assume you won't live to retirement age.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

Gentlemen you can’t fight in here, this is the Warhammer room!

Goddamn this was a good post.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Truth.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

also lots of complaining about superheavies being bullshit and deathstar units which totally aren't things that are heavily encouraged by 30k.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SteelMentor posted:

Truly, we can all come together as Warhams and daily rejoice in this fact.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

is 8th 40k worse than 7th *40k*

because everything i've gathered about HH is that it doesn't contain any of the things that people hated about 7th like formations or at least not to the same degree, and 5th ed's fundamental mechanics were serviceable enough

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Der Waffle Mous posted:

also lots of complaining about superheavies being bullshit and deathstar units which totally aren't things that are heavily encouraged by 30k.

The problems with deathstars and superheavies are when people play it at too low a points value per side. The HH rules always said 30k was a game that worked better at higher points values than 7th and people ignored that. You end up with monotask deathstar builds that either clear the table or get punked and its tedious as hell.

Forums Terrorist posted:

because everything i've gathered about HH is that it doesn't contain any of the things that people hated about 7th like formations or at least not to the same degree, and 5th ed's fundamental mechanics were serviceable enough

bingo.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

TTerrible posted:

Completely cool to discuss the problems 30k has (a lot. Inferno, especially) - people just get extremely weird when 8th is criticised.

It’s because 8th was the Chosen One.

I mean at least GW is objectively a better company all around than under Kirby. Almost ludicrously so.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TTerrible posted:

Wanting armies to remotely match the background of the universe is pure solipism. The winning adepticon list spamming unstoppable waves of poo poo combining Khorne, Slaanesh and Nurgle is very good. I just think it'd be great to have armies able to be competitive and have even slight nods to the background material instead of appearing like a MTG tournament deck constructed by a problem solving alg fed with codexes.

Oh you're one of those. I hate to break it to you buddy but the Chaos factions fighting alongside each other is a regular feature of the setting. Just as its a regular feature that Guard fight alongside Space marines and Tyranids fighting alongside Genestealers Cults. Attempting to keep armies that are ostensibly just subfactions of the larger overarching powers separate is pure strain grognardiness born out of the same desire some people have to keep their peas from touching their mashed potatoes on that plate.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Can't we all just chat about how cool the Admec look and how Sisters are gonna be even more rad than before? I'm hoping for even more gothic and cool things taped onto their armor.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

TTerrible posted:

The problems with deathstars and superheavies are when people play it at too low a points value per side. The HH rules always said 30k was a game that worked better at higher points values than 7th and people ignored that. You end up with monotask deathstar builds that either clear the table or get punked and its tedious as hell.

Y'know, fair enough. Stomp is still one of the worst rules introduced to the game, though

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Der Waffle Mous posted:

You do know that LoWs can’t be more than 25% of your army in 30k right?

And 30k death stars aren’t anything like 40k ones, considering invisibility is heavily nerfed, eternal warrior is very rare and the alliance matrix means you can’t really build a soup like you could with ravenwing/wolfbois/white scars.

Is....is it possible you’ve never actually played 30k?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

it's hard to argue that new GW *isn't* a thing given how ludicrously better their financials are now than they were under Kirby

they're better at community relations, and 8th is faster and easier to play in the experience of my local ham scene, whereas i've not seen any HH action here

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Shadin posted:

It’s because 8th was the Chosen One.

I mean at least GW is objectively a better company all around than under Kirby. Almost ludicrously so.

Kirby dying in that car crash, forcing the board to find a new CEO, is what saved the company

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Cainer posted:

Can't we all just chat about how cool the Admec look and how Sisters are gonna be even more rad than before? I'm hoping for even more gothic and cool things taped onto their armor.

No time, we have to keep this edition slapfight going on foreverrrrrrrrr.

New Knights are giving me the cravings, a whole gang of them rolling around with different Freeblade designs appeals to me in all the right ways.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

Oh you're one of those. I hate to break it to you buddy but the Chaos factions fighting alongside each other is a regular feature of the setting. Just as its a regular feature that Guard fight alongside Space marines and Tyranids fighting alongside Genestealers Cults. Attempting to keep armies that are ostensibly just subfactions of the larger overarching powers separate is pure strain grognardiness born out of the same desire some people have to keep their peas from touching their mashed potatoes on that plate.

Holy poo poo you’re right. Pack it up boys. We lost

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm not sure why having multiple armies in one list is a bad thing conceptually, when the vast majority of the fluff surrounding the game has those lists under one banner of Imperium or Chaos or Eldar (or Tau, in the alt universe where instead of getting a mech obsessed CEO GW had a kroot obsessed CEO)

like yeah it would be nice to have some monofaction bonuses, but army mixing is fun

(also: I'm the guy who thinks the 40k thread isn't aware of shield captains being a problem)

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

Except it isn't. Slaanesh and Nurgle are supposedly not great allies and putting them together shouldn't be in any way optimal to that crazy extreme. It shouldn't be one of the best builds.

You could try to address what I said supreme command, mixing and matching subfactions, no benefits for monofation, etc rather than veiled "haha ur autistic" jibes?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Hencoe posted:

This unit must Sweeping Advance

I don't care about whatever bullshit is happening in this thread right now but I would just like to say that your av is great if you're listening to Darude - Sandstorm, well seeya.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Y'know, fair enough. Stomp is still one of the worst rules introduced to the game, though

It's a fair criticism because its one of the things that puts people off 30k "Oh my god primarches in a Spartan" etc - but its not actually how the game is meant to be played. Getting a good intro to 30k and avoiding people skipping reading the start of the book beacuse they know how to play 7th is hard.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Except it isn't. Slaanesh and Nurgle are supposedly not great allies and putting them together shouldn't be in any way optimal to that crazy extreme. It shouldn't be one of the best builds.

You could try to address what I said supreme command, mixing and matching subfactions, no benefits for monofation, etc rather than veiled "haha ur autistic" jibes?

Slaanesh and Nurgle themselves aren't on good terms, considering their supermutant followers come up with stupid ideas like CHAOS: UNDIVIDED that doesn't necessarily transfer to their worshippers.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Y'know, outside of the groggiest of tournies I've never seen anyone pull any of that poo poo, and even then a minority.

I think the internet gets really hung up on metagame to the point of insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

No time, we have to keep this edition slapfight going on foreverrrrrrrrr.

I've recently discovered this is all i have left to live for