Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Red Bones posted:

The royal family owns both land and horses so I imagine the tools and nails would go to some groundkeeper and the horse shoes would just go to the stables. A billhook, an axe and some nails are all still useful if you're maintaining some sprawling country estate.

They are oversized novelty shoes, and the nails are made for the shoes so they are useless as well.

I don't thing the crown is struggling to stem the tide of tat overwhelming their properties, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

it sounds like the london one has become a bit of a ceremony, the items being given back to the city of london so that they can be paid again next year, but it doesn't say that explicitly in the text so i'm not 100% on that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hedningen posted:

Yeah, I’m not commenting on authenticity, just making a terrible joke. As it was indicated that Tararre would eat anything, the immediate response of “Jesus Christ” was then, in a failed attempt at pithy humor, deliberately misinterpreted as a question and linked with the Catholic belief of transubstantiation to indicate that yes, it is likely that he had eaten Jesus Christ according to those circumstances.

You seem to have a deep knowledge of christian rites and yet you proclaim to be a heathen :raise:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Former DILF posted:

it sounds like the london one has become a bit of a ceremony, the items being given back to the city of london so that they can be paid again next year, but it doesn't say that explicitly in the text so i'm not 100% on that

Stuff like that is just a neat tradition after some point but people keep it up anyway. Like that city in...the Netherlands I think? Maybe it's just Amsterdam but anyway they're expected to pay what amounts to a few dollars a year to whoever owns a particular debt that goes back several centuries. It's owned by a college that flies a guy to Europe every year to collect it. It actually costs more to collect it than is actually owed but they keep doing it because honestly, why wouldn't you? It's historically cool to say "yes I collect on the oldest known debt in the world."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Student loans amirite

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Phy posted:

Ok ok yeah but what about the guy whose rent is that he has to fight anyone the king wants him to

I know you probably mean some kind of landed title or knighthood, but I love the image of it just being one guy and Elizabeth is like "go punch that guy over there"

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Canemacar posted:

I know you probably mean some kind of landed title or knighthood, but I love the image of it just being one guy and Elizabeth is like "go punch that guy over there"

Isn't this basically what every James Bond movie boils down to?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Stuff like that is just a neat tradition after some point but people keep it up anyway. Like that city in...the Netherlands I think? Maybe it's just Amsterdam but anyway they're expected to pay what amounts to a few dollars a year to whoever owns a particular debt that goes back several centuries. It's owned by a college that flies a guy to Europe every year to collect it. It actually costs more to collect it than is actually owed but they keep doing it because honestly, why wouldn't you? It's historically cool to say "yes I collect on the oldest known debt in the world."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfSIC8jwbQs

I like how the government had to issue a new piece of paper on which to note interest payments because the original bond filled up, and the new piece of paper is noticeably less aged.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Mar 24, 2018

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Krankenstyle posted:

You seem to have a deep knowledge of christian rites and yet you proclaim to be a heathen :raise:

Or I was listening to good folk music and decided that the singular definitive form would make a cool username.

Fun historical fact: did you know that the bagpipes are not uniquely Scottish? Most regions have their own variant of the pipes, including Sweden. The neat fact is that the information we have on traditional bagpipe tunes comes from a single source, because it had nearly died out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm a heathen by choice.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hedningen posted:

Or I was listening to good folk music and decided that the singular definitive form would make a cool username.

Fun historical fact: did you know that the bagpipes are not uniquely Scottish? Most regions have their own variant of the pipes, including Sweden. The neat fact is that the information we have on traditional bagpipe tunes comes from a single source, because it had nearly died out.

Oh yes, the plural. I can't say I've heard a lot but I know of them and I respect them.

I don't know that it's neat as much as lucky. So much culture has died out and still dies out and it kills me. Especially during the 17-1800s when nationalism came in vogue. All that senseless "standardization" of language & tradition everywhere. We Europeans are lucky that pockets of local culture survived still.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm a heathen by choice.

:bravo:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Krankenstyle posted:

Oh yes, the plural. I can't say I've heard a lot but I know of them and I respect them.

These guys?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxJLYpwX_XY

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yea

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

London has rented a couple of properties from The Crown since the 13th century. Nobody knows where they are, but the city still pays rent annually of: a sharp axe, a dull knife, six large horseshoes, and sixty one nails.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/london-is-still-paying-rent-to-the-queen-on-a-property-leased-in-1211

The real question here is is this rent paid by London, the city, or the City of London. Which are two different things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrObZ_HZZUc

Fun (contemporary) fact: the City is overseen by the City of London Police, who are a separate branch from the Metropolitan Police, who oversee the rest of London. This means the Met has to get permission from the CoL police to enter the City boundaries, unless in blue light pursuit of a suspect. The two forces apparently dislike each other immensely.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I mean, that's no surprise. Everybody dislikes the Met intensely, except for some of their grandmothers who are merely disappointed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Whatever is going on here is far more confusing than the UK/Britain/NI/England/Scotland/Wales distinction (which no one is actually confused by)

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Whybird posted:

I mean, that's no surprise. Everybody dislikes the Met intensely, except for some of their grandmothers who are merely disappointed.

The CoL police, in my experience, are exactly as terrible. I actually went to school in the City, and we used to participate in the Lord Mayor's Parade, gilded horse drawn carriage and all. It's all supremely weird and they all take it very seriously.

Edit: also there are basically no bins in the square mile because of potential bombings, they often check vehicles on the way in and out and my school was built to withstand a nuclear attack on London and partially incorporated the original Roman wall. It's an odd place.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Mar 25, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol that just means trash on the street & someone can put a bomb in a mailbox or something anyway

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

lol that just means trash on the street & someone can put a bomb in a mailbox or something anyway

Bin bombs were a specific tactic of the IRA, so there is a reason for it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Werong Bustope posted:

that changes nothing about what i said

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

that changes nothing about what i said

Eh, it's got an insane amount of money so the streets are pretty clean, but I agree re: being not that useful. The Bishopsgate Bombing in '93 particularly made the City very paranoid, which led to a lot of the weirder counter-terrorism measures, plus a number of smaller bombings. Especially after the Docklands bombing in '96 that hit Canary Wharf, that was on the same scale as Bishopsgate and ignited fears of another big hit on the City - we had regular bomb drills after that in school.

I wasn't at that school for the 7/7 bombings, but they pretty much kept up that level of paranoia between the end of major IRA operations and then, it's only got more locked down since.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Im just saying fighting specific tactics is a fool's errand. It's all security theater to try and stop someone from bombing a thing.

If you remove the trash bins, "they" put it in a backpack, if you start searching backpacks, they put it in their butt or shoe or something, if you strip everyone naked and scan them with lasers, they just bomb the longass queue waiting to be scanned

fight the causes instead of the symptoms

also: england out of ireland

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

Im just saying fighting specific tactics is a fool's errand. It's all security theater to try and stop someone from bombing a thing.

If you remove the trash bins, "they" put it in a backpack, if you start searching backpacks, they put it in their butt or shoe or something, if you strip everyone naked and scan them with lasers, they just bomb the longass queue waiting to be scanned

I don't disagree with you? I'm just describing how the City of London operates as a paranoid little quasi-city state to this day.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Werong Bustope posted:

I don't disagree with you? I'm just describing how the City of London operates as a paranoid little quasi-city state to this day.

i dont disagree with you either :) i just wanted to pencil out my point ya know

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krankenstyle posted:

Give terrorists what they want: A Modest Proposal

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

i dont disagree with you either :) i just wanted to pencil out my point ya know

Hahah sorry, I just didn't want to come across like i was defending the security theatre.

To get back on topic: the earliest known handwritten document from Britain was found in the City, during the construction of Bloomberg's European headquarters. Appropriately enough, it is a record of a financial transaction.

https://www.archaeology.co.uk/articles/features/earliest-written-reference-to-london-found.htm/amp

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Werong Bustope posted:

Hahah sorry, I just didn't want to come across like i was defending the security theatre.

To get back on topic: the earliest known handwritten document from Britain was found in the City, during the construction of Bloomberg's European headquarters. Appropriately enough, it is a record of a financial transaction.

https://www.archaeology.co.uk/articles/features/earliest-written-reference-to-london-found.htm/amp

Remember that time when Parliament decided to destroy centuries of financial records and accidentally burnt down the Palace of Westminster?

Oops.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Platystemon posted:

Give terrorists what they want: A Modest Proposal

pshh idgaf about terrorists & also for you who holds that position: keeping north ireland english is giving margaret thatcher what she wanted, so there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

remember that time british police tackled & shot a brazilian guy 5 times in the face, killing him with intent, just because he was brown and in a rush? and how nothing happened to anyone after that?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Remember that time when Parliament decided to destroy centuries of financial records and accidentally burnt down the Palace of Westminster?

Oops.

London has a great fire track record in general: my favourite bit of the logistical disaster that was the Great Fire of London is at the point that the fire had consumed 300 houses, reached the river front and ignited London bridge, the generally useless Mayor Bloodworth refused the Crown's offer to send in firefighting soldiers on political grounds, then went to bed.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Krankenstyle posted:

remember that time british police tackled & shot a brazilian guy 5 times in the face, killing him with intent, just because he was brown and in a rush? and how nothing happened to anyone after that?

Of course not, why would anyone remember that?

Wait, do police officers not murder minorities constantly over there? Weird.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ariong posted:

Of course not, why would anyone remember that?

Wait, do police officers not murder minorities constantly over there? Weird.

Pffft, it's not murder if no one cares.

Sorry...........sorry. I meant to say, it's not murder if no one cares. Sorry again. Just sounded dickish before.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Werong Bustope posted:

London has a great fire track record in general: my favourite bit of the logistical disaster that was the Great Fire of London is at the point that the fire had consumed 300 houses, reached the river front and ignited London bridge, the generally useless Mayor Bloodworth refused the Crown's offer to send in firefighting soldiers on political grounds, then went to bed.

And even with a fire ravaging the city the people still found time to lynch immigrants.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krankenstyle posted:

pshh idgaf about terrorists & also for you who holds that position: keeping north ireland english is giving margaret thatcher what she wanted, so there

I would like Northern Ireland to stay in the UK because it would be a real hassle to change my money to euros.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Alhazred posted:

And even with a fire ravaging the city the people still found time to lynch immigrants.

Part of what fed that was that the fire was so huge it was throwing out sparks that ignited buildings some distance away from the fire's edge, making it look like fires were "spontaneously" starting in the city. Now, you'd think most people might be able to draw a line between these sudden fires and the huge, ravening firestorm creating its own weather and chewing its way through the city but unfortunately for anyone French or Dutch a lot of people felt that was evidence that the fires were being set deliberately.

Edit: I'm kind of tempted to do a write up of all the mistakes that led up to the Great Fire and caused it to burn wildly out of control. It really was a nightmare scenario.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 11:43 on Mar 25, 2018

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Werong Bustope posted:

Now, you'd think most people might be able to draw a line between these sudden fires and the huge, ravening firestorm creating its own weather and chewing its way through the city but unfortunately for anyone French or Dutch a lot of people felt that was evidence that the fires were being set deliberately.

Wouldn't they have thought that the main fire itself was a French/Dutch plot?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Kassad posted:

Wouldn't they have thought that the main fire itself was a French/Dutch plot?

They did: the new fires were seen as evidence of a sustained attack and therefore proof.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Werong Bustope posted:

Instead of getting rid of the bins, they should have replaced them with these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEfffWkN7r4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
James Earl Ray, the guy who shot Dr. Martin Luther King, almost got away with it. I'd just assumed they caught him near the scene, but I was way off. People saw him booking it away from the boarding house he fired from, but didn't catch him.

After shooting King, Ray drove straight to Toronto and spent over a month hanging out there before flying to London. He spent some time in Portugal before returning to London (possibly looking into emigrating to Angola, then a colony of fascist Portugal), returned to London, and then the fake name on his fake Canadian passport got pinged as he was about to head to Brussels.

Supposedly he had been strongly considering moving to Rhodesia, then a white-controlled apartheid state that was an international pariah. Officially Rhodesia put out some statement condemning the King assassination, but given that King's detractors accused him of being a communist, and Rhodesia was fighting an indigenous insurgency supported by the communists, that would've been a pretty good place to Ray to hide out. Even if they wouldn't officially support him, it's not hard to imagine he could get covert support and a new identity there. That would've gotten a lot dicier when Rhodesia changed over to majority rule and became Zimbabwe in 1980, but if we're just theorizing I'd imagine that whoever let him into Rhodesia could've done him a solid before the new government kicked in and fixed him up with a false identity to emigrate to Australia or something.

Ray entered a guilty plea to avoid the death penalty, but after his plea was already in recanted his confession and claimed he was a patsy. Ray ended up telling journalists a lot of contradictory stories, both where he's guilty and where he's not, including one story that he did it because he expected George Wallace would shortly become president and pardon him.

Where it gets extra weird, MLK's son Dexter King believes that Ray didn't do it, as do other members of the King family. The King family ended up filing a wrongful death suit against a local diner owner who claimed that he himself was part of some huge government+Mafia conspiracy, and that a Memphis cop had been the hired killer. The diner owner was found legally liable for the killing and the Kings awarded $100 (they asked for only that amount to show they just wanted the truth and not money).

Somehow I'd always just assumed that the MLK murder was pretty cut-and-dried. I had no idea that the assassin wandered around the world for months after, almost escaped to Africa, and that even the King family says he didn't do it and believe it was a shadowy JFK-esque conspiracy.