Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Iron Man 3 is my third favorite Marvel movie. Spider-Man kinda beat it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah I like Ang Lee's Hulk. It's really cool and unique, and the stuff that doesn't work for me is at least honest. I also adore Spider-Man 2.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My only issue with Ang Lee’s Hulk is the comic panels. It’s possible to do that kind of visual without the translations. It’s fine.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, Hulk is top-tier. Nick Nolte's David Banner is such a delight.

Nolte biting into that goddamn power cable is one of my favorite things.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=7s&v=mfHiq8mB_Vs

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

I think about this all the time

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ang Lee's Hulk was pretty ambitious. I liked the bouncy effect on his skin whenever bullets bounced off him.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It’s not a movie I’d go out of my way to watch again but I appreciate its ambition and capital W Weirdness.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i quite liked iron man 3. it was a fun little action-comedy movie that managed to incorporate the mandarin while also dodging his terrible comic book origin with a much better explanation. also it had guy pearce breathing fire on a robot until don cheadle popped out of it, which is just one hell of an image.

and i never got the hate for ang lee's hulk. its a weird movie, but i have fond memories of that weirdness. hulkdogs and nick nolte biting into an electric cable spring to mind. it was an interesting film

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Now imagine Ang Lee covered in ping pong balls doing that movement.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Serf posted:

it had guy pearce breathing fire playing Fing Fang Foom

Iron Man 3 is underrated.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Guy Pearce doesn't breathe fire until Don Cheadle is out of the suit. When he's still in it it's James Badge Dale using his hands to heat it up.

Fart City posted:

Nolte biting into that goddamn power cable is one of my favorite things.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=7s&v=mfHiq8mB_Vs

I love that a sequence which evolves into a giant lightning-man fighting a cloud is willing to open with something so stripped back. No score, just two people talking, mostly a monologue by one, against a black backdrop with some straightforward set dressing. For that short while it could be a stage production, before exploding into insanity.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Incredible. As time goes on, the choice to make Hulk ultra bright and clashing with his surroundings really holds up.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, the more naturalistic Hulk effects having been aging worse than Ang Lee's embracing the cartoon.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Another thing I like that the subsequent movies don't really bother with is the Hulk's loneliness, not Bruce's. Bruce theoretically has a bunch of relationships he can seek solace in, but that doesn't mean he isn't troubled. His antisocial tendencies explode into the Hulk.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Iron Man 3 is my third favorite Marvel movie. Spider-Man kinda beat it out.
Its so good. The second the movie opened up with that "I'm Blue" song, I knew it was going to be great.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I remember watching the Ang Lee Hulk when I was a kid and mostly being really, really confused as to what was going on. I wonder if I would appreciate it more now that I'm older.

Nick Nolte's performance is something I still vividly remember though, that guy could do crazy like no one else.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ang Lee's Hulk is top tier superhero/comic book film. It's an exceptional work that shows love and understanding to the source material and taken steps beyond a mere transpose to the big screen.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Guy Pearce doesn't breathe fire until Don Cheadle is out of the suit. When he's still in it it's James Badge Dale using his hands to heat it up.

I love that a sequence which evolves into a giant lightning-man fighting a cloud is willing to open with something so stripped back. No score, just two people talking, mostly a monologue by one, against a black backdrop with some straightforward set dressing. For that short while it could be a stage production, before exploding into insanity.

After having a bravura sequence in which Hulk has to escape an underground bunker, fights tanks and helicopters, barely escapes the carpet-bombing of a model town, and eventually saves the Golden Gate Bridge by jumping on a jet before being knocked out by the jet forcing itself up until oxygen deprivation gets to him, falling from the stratosphere into the Pacific, worming his way up into the sewer system and popping out of a manhole in downtown SF before Betty can calm him down, Ang Lee just turns all the lights out, puts two guys on a platform, and lets one of them monologue to the other. It's incredible. He goes from incredibly loud to pipsqueak quiet and then goes outright elemental, primordial, with the text and subtext of the movie as Hulk and his father, now The Absorbing Man, battle to the death.

Hulk is really one of the best comic book movies, period, just in how it goes balls to the wall in wallowing in the melodrama of it all and never shying away from the weirdness.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Hulk in the desert sequence is unsurpassed and I appreciate Snyder's referring directly to it in both Superman films.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Nick Nolte's performance is something I still vividly remember though, that guy could do crazy like no one else.

Oh man I thought for a second that Nick Nolte had died and I hadn't noticed.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Lee’s Hulk, though based on nothing in particular, feels like it could easily be an adaption of one of Peter David’s mid-90’s existentialst arcs. I honestly can’t say that there are many comic movies - even the best - that feel like lost a storyline from the series that spawned them.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw GOtG2 four times because my girlfriend loves it for the record I am not a trash man

Also best comic book movie is American Splendor and y’all can gently caress right off if you disagree

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The best comic book movie is the goofiest and the silliest.

So like...Dick Tracy. I like Dick Tracy.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ve never seen dick Tracy

What’s the other one Darkman

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CelticPredator posted:

The best comic book movie is the goofiest and the silliest.

So like...Dick Tracy. I like Dick Tracy.

Dick Tracy is profoundly disturbing

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Darkman isn’t a comic book movie.

Uh, what about 300.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Dick Tracy is profoundly disturbing

The scene where the guy gets dumped in the concrete and shoved in the ocean bothers me so so much.

The only other time I’ve been so disturbed by a film not meant invoke that emotion was Shrek of all things. The after credits dance party where Lord Farquaad is still alive being digested slowly in the dragon, singing a song freaked me out as a kid and still does to this day. Eeughhh.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Fart City posted:

Lee’s Hulk, though based on nothing in particular, feels like it could easily be an adaption of one of Peter David’s mid-90’s existentialst arcs. I honestly can’t say that there are many comic movies - even the best - that feel like lost a storyline from the series that spawned them.

What do you mean based on nothing in particular? You nailed that it’s from Peter David’s run. Banner’s father being an abusive anger riddled man being violent against Bruce’s mother is lifted from when Samson enters Bruce’s mind with the warring Grey and Green Hulk who are powerless in his psyche against his monstrous father and at the climax of the issue reach a catharsis, agree to peace, and we get the gestalt Hulk with Banner’s mind and genius, Green Hulks high end strength but with limit and body, and Grey Hulks attitude. It’d not a direct lift but there’s a smattering of storylines and Lee obviously dug into what made him tick.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's not a direct adaptation of a particular story, the way 300, Watchmen, Sin City, etc. are.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I'm not going to discount the meme effect and say I'm completely mystified about why people constantly shat on the look of this Hulk but man, so many nerds back then just had no taste. These effects STILL hold up incredibly well, especially in the face. Lee had very personal involvement with the expressions IIRC and it showed. The posters at the time made Hulk seem way cartoonier and more rubbery but on film he looked awesome.

The first transformation scene does show its age, however.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Just while we're whingeing about GOTG 2, the action was just...there. So many action beats weren't connected to the plot beat. Like, when the ravagers capture Rocket, he uses his traps and weapons to kill/incapcitate all the ones that we've seen up to that point. Then 50 more show up. So, we needed to get Rocket captured, but we also needed to have Rocket show off his toys, and they didn't get the action scene and it's story goal reconciled. It would have been as simple as a few shots early on making it clear that Rocket's doing well, but there's just too many of them.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

some naval Korean movie about a medieval Korean Japanese war.

If it was 'Admiral, roaring currents' that movie is real good, and a really good example of how to direct action in a very clear way. My girlfriend, who does not know anything about 16th century Asian naval warfare, followed it and was on the edge of her seat.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, the more naturalistic Hulk effects having been aging worse than Ang Lee's embracing the cartoon.

There was a Cracked article called 'why so much CGI looks bad' that must have been written by someone who worked on Ang Lee's Hulk, because all they did was complain about every choice, as if Ang Lee only picked the bright green for Hulk or killed Josh Lucas via cut out by accident.

It was kind of amazing to see someone just unable to get their head around those ideas being deliberate.

Gatts posted:

What do you mean based on nothing in particular? You nailed that it’s from Peter David’s run. Banner’s father being an abusive anger riddled man being violent against Bruce’s mother is lifted from when Samson enters Bruce’s mind with the warring Grey and Green Hulk who are powerless in his psyche against his monstrous father and at the climax of the issue reach a catharsis, agree to peace, and we get the gestalt Hulk with Banner’s mind and genius, Green Hulks high end strength but with limit and body, and Grey Hulks attitude. It’d not a direct lift but there’s a smattering of storylines and Lee obviously dug into what made him tick.

What were those runs called? I'd be really keen to read that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lobok posted:

I think this is just because there's no frame of reference for a transformation like that anywhere in the real world. Everything else has some basis (you watch bats to figure out how a dragon flies, for instance) but pesky things like the conservation of mass mean that you can't do the transformation without it looking wrong.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Lobok posted:

I'm not going to discount the meme effect and say I'm completely mystified about why people constantly shat on the look of this Hulk but man, so many nerds back then just had no taste. These effects STILL hold up incredibly well, especially in the face. Lee had very personal involvement with the expressions IIRC and it showed. The posters at the time made Hulk seem way cartoonier and more rubbery but on film he looked awesome.

The thing i like about A-l's Hulk is the special effects are kind of rough around the edges,you get the feeling you're seeing something that isn't perfect but he's so colourful and when the fight scenes start he hits so hard i just love it.

I can't decide whether Ragnarok Hulk or this one are my favourite,i thought ruffalo's likeness was top notch in Ragnarok.
Ed norton anime hulk is bad though,never liked his colour,looks like baby poo.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 24, 2018

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I’ve never seen dick Tracy

What’s the other one Darkman

Take the loving unicorn 🦄!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Snowman_McK posted:

Just while we're whingeing about GOTG 2, the action was just...there. So many action beats weren't connected to the plot beat. Like, when the ravagers capture Rocket, he uses his traps and weapons to kill/incapcitate all the ones that we've seen up to that point. Then 50 more show up. So, we needed to get Rocket captured, but we also needed to have Rocket show off his toys, and they didn't get the action scene and it's story goal reconciled. It would have been as simple as a few shots early on making it clear that Rocket's doing well, but there's just too many of them.

If it was 'Admiral, roaring currents' that movie is real good, and a really good example of how to direct action in a very clear way. My girlfriend, who does not know anything about 16th century Asian naval warfare, followed it and was on the edge of her seat.

There was a Cracked article called 'why so much CGI looks bad' that must have been written by someone who worked on Ang Lee's Hulk, because all they did was complain about every choice, as if Ang Lee only picked the bright green for Hulk or killed Josh Lucas via cut out by accident.

It was kind of amazing to see someone just unable to get their head around those ideas being deliberate.

What were those runs called? I'd be really keen to read that.

It was a 12 year run, and there are like 8 some volumes. It's Marvel Visionaries for Incredible Hulk and you can find them on Amazon but some are kind of pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/Incredible-Hulk-Visionaries-Peter-David/dp/0785115412

The merging into one Hulk was with Dale Keown was about Volume 6 of those collections, or issue 377 for the merger. He's also worked with Todd McFarlane and Gary Frank on issues. There's lead up to this though in previous issues.

Serf
May 5, 2011

this thread got me to go back and rewatch ang lee's hulk move and actually it loving owns. there's just such an energy to the film, you're constantly being propelled forward and it never drags or gets bogged down. the transitions and creative use of splitscreens nailed this very comic-book/70s feel and your eyes are constantly moving, taking in new details. the editing in this movie is really something special. i also liked how shots of young david banner in the lab really channeled the original hulk tv show, that was a real treat

also nick nolte is killing it in this film. he just slowly gets more unhinged over the course of the movie until that incredible scene with him and bana and he is raving about governments and militaries and becoming a god from the pleistocene age and poo poo. dude is in top form and really just transfixes you with that performance. it also has the best final battle i've seen in a superhero movie. david banner biting into that cable and becoming a living lightning bolt which the hulk somehow grabs onto and is pulled into a battle in the sky that is painted across the clouds before they have this crazy fistfight that is basically something out of myth is the raddest poo poo ever. and then ang lee just got super weird with it and it totally works.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The precision of David Banner's vision in Hulk is really something.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Pretty sure I've been defending Ang Lee's Hulk for years in previous threads before it was cool. :colbert:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Crows Turn Off posted:

Pretty sure I've been defending Ang Lee's Hulk for years in previous threads before it was cool. :colbert:

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Crows Turn Off posted:

:hfive:

Flick always fuckin' owned, people couldn't handle it.