Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Nude posted:

A T-Rex fire broke out today at a theme park:
https://i.imgur.com/Ms4z2wY.mp4
Thankfully no one was injured. The last remains of the T-Rex:

I wish I could have two avatars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I’m gonna be the one to say that isn’t the most impressive looking building scaling challenge. Those ridges are far deeper and more evenly spaced out than most rock walls that free-solo climbers would do in this same style, there are also a lot of play created in the corners where he could wedge a foot and push up to grab the next cut out ledge. I’m not saying it isn’t a terrifying thing to look at especially due to the sheer height he is at (hell no thanks), but if you really wanna see some hosed up wall climbing stuff that will flip your stomach, look up Alex Hammond’s videos.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/977310924804579329

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/977315932841234432

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/977316575664529408

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/977316930628407296

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Way to omit the fact that the poor kid who was killed had it happen right in front of his older brother, and that he was the son of a state lawmaker. Christ what an awful thing.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

I wonder if it was Julijonas Urbonas?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Reading through this was a *leans in towards camera* WILD RIDE!!!!!!!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I see the goon zipline guy is still getting work

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They must’ve gone to the roller coaster tycoon school of design.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

"Bet your wondering how I got into this situation. Well it all started three days ago...."

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Looks empty to me, there's your problem

No, we don't weigh people before putting them into the rafts, why?

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

So I was wondering the legalities of this, at my job we raise people on the forks of a forklift to unload shipping containers, is that frowned upon? I can't find the attachment we use on google, I was told it was made by our maintenance department so I doubt its something normally used. The attachment is a rectangle plate with a sharpened front edge, it attaches to the front of a pacer forklift and we use it to scoop underneath things like tables and dressers, sometimes we stand on it to get raised up in order to pull pieces out of the top of a shipping container. What really surprises me is that we use all of this equipment, yet in these containers I see barefoot prints from the Malaysian dudes that loaded it. I can't imagine what its like loading 180kg desks and 70kg nightstands barefoot, can't be a very long career.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
In the UK, your company would be crucified for letting people stand on forks at height.

You need a cage with at least waist - high rails, that is secured to the forks to prevent it sliding off.

And above a certain height, they'd need to be wearing harnesses.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Nude posted:

Me Grimlock!

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I ain't afraid of no rolley coaster.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

Way to omit the fact that the poor kid who was killed had it happen right in front of his older brother, and that he was the son of a state lawmaker. Christ what an awful thing.

A state lawmaker who voted to reduce regulations for amusement parks.

spog posted:

In the UK, your company would be crucified for letting people stand on forks at height.

You need a cage with at least waist - high rails, that is secured to the forks to prevent it sliding off.

I'd imagine you'd also want a grille on the back to keep people from getting caught in the lifting mechanism.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Toilet Rascal

spankmeister posted:

that's metal as gently caress

Not as metal as the time the same thing happened to Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KvYBLVif9U

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I read an article somewhere about that poor kid who died on the waterslide. If I remember it right he was indeed the son of a lawmaker, and the lawmaker had fought hard to prevent government safety regulations and oversight that would likely have prevented the tragedy.

In a way I hope that's not the case because that's just the worst "poetic justice." Nobody should have to bury their child.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

C.M. Kruger posted:

A state lawmaker who voted to reduce regulations for amusement parks.

Yeah, he was hoist on his own petard in the most horrible of ways. That has to be the most terrible feeling to not only lose a child that way, but to know that you were in some way responsible for it being able to happen.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Boko Haram posted:

So I was wondering the legalities of this, at my job we raise people on the forks of a forklift to unload shipping containers, is that frowned upon? I can't find the attachment we use on google, I was told it was made by our maintenance department so I doubt its something normally used. The attachment is a rectangle plate with a sharpened front edge, it attaches to the front of a pacer forklift and we use it to scoop underneath things like tables and dressers, sometimes we stand on it to get raised up in order to pull pieces out of the top of a shipping container. What really surprises me is that we use all of this equipment, yet in these containers I see barefoot prints from the Malaysian dudes that loaded it. I can't imagine what its like loading 180kg desks and 70kg nightstands barefoot, can't be a very long career.

Here's an article about how hard it is to keep a cage in compliance, with pictures of what you should have. If yours is just a flat piece of metal with no railing...

http://www.mhlnews.com/blog/forklift-life-lesson-6-oshas-picky-about-how-you-cage-workers

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

shortspecialbus posted:

I read an article somewhere about that poor kid who died on the waterslide. If I remember it right he was indeed the son of a lawmaker, and the lawmaker had fought hard to prevent government safety regulations and oversight that would likely have prevented the tragedy.

In a way I hope that's not the case because that's just the worst "poetic justice." Nobody should have to bury their child.

He was perfectly happy to let other peoples' kids die on deregulated deathtraps.

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

Relentless posted:

Here's an article about how hard it is to keep a cage in compliance, with pictures of what you should have. If yours is just a flat piece of metal with no railing...

http://www.mhlnews.com/blog/forklift-life-lesson-6-oshas-picky-about-how-you-cage-workers

Yeah we have a cage that maintenance uses for the lightsbulbs way up, like 40 feet, but for on the load dock we just stand on our homemade plate. Maybe I'll grab a few pics tomorrow. Our biggest concern I saw was that they had to change the turning speed on our pacer forklifts because if you spun too abruptly and quickly, the metal plate jumps to the end of its chain tether and can easily snap it. Now you have a horizontal guillotine weighing 300lbs just flying at whatever is in the way. Somehow nobody has died here except for a heart attack, but lots of people get hosed up ankles and backs. Its a big company and we have signed waivers where we have to go to court with their hand picked arbitrator, so they never get in trouble.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

spog posted:

In the US, someone would frown really hard, and grumble something about OSHA, and then nothing would happen ever.

Well, someone from OSHA might, might, show up six or seven years later, quietly ask if the offending party still works there, and then are chased off the lot by some good ol' boys.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Nude posted:

Caeser's Legion could not be reached for comment.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Last one is metal AF, like the T-Rex Terminator just getting pissed off.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Boko Haram posted:

I've done work in a forklift cage - it's basically the same as the bucket on a cherry picker, you wear a harness and a hardhat, and have a spotter on the ground and someone driving the fork.

The social aspects of work/life balance in developing nations are beyond my pay grade, but when I was in Vietnam a few years ago, my wife and I were having dinner and drinks on the roof of The Rex Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City, and there were guys working on something in the street down below, including forklifts and arc welders, at least until we left at 10:15pm.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Byzantine posted:

He was perfectly happy to let other peoples' kids die on deregulated deathtraps.

This is literally the plot to a play called All My Sons by Arthur Miller. The play is about a man who owns a company and he cuts corners when building airplanes for the war. Long story short he is aware that people probably died because of his work, but refuses to believe his son died because of him. He finds out in the end the son was riding a plane and decided to commit suicide because he couldn't live with the fact that his father knowingly shipped faulty airplanes. The play ends with the father finally realizing he is at fault for his son's death, and ends with him saying they were all my sons. Okay so not exactly the same but same idea.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

I refuse to get in a man-cage on a forklift, I don't want someone else at the controls while I'm up in the air.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Messadiah posted:

I refuse to get in a man-cage on a forklift, I don't want someone else at the controls while I'm up in the air.

Are you worried someone's going to gently caress with you, or just be incompetent and crash you into something? Get better co-workers maybe :shrug:

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Memento posted:

Are you worried someone's going to gently caress with you, or just be incompetent and crash you into something? Get better co-workers maybe :shrug:

Mainly incompetence. It's usually the case where I'm an outside contractor having to trust a warehouse guy I just met... yeah, I'll just rent a scissor lift but thanks for the offer.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Nude posted:

This is literally the plot to a play called All My Sons by Arthur Miller. The play is about a man who owns a company and he cuts corners when building airplanes for the war. Long story short he is aware that people probably died because of his work, but refuses to believe his son died because of him. He finds out in the end the son was riding a plane and decided to commit suicide because he couldn't live with the fact that his father knowingly shipped faulty airplanes. The play ends with the father finally realizing he is at fault for his son's death, and ends with him saying they were all my sons. Okay so not exactly the same but same idea.

Thats (one of) the guy(s) who banged marilyn monroe

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Nth Doctor posted:

A state lawmaker who was proud of his state's less restrictive safety regulations, because that would encourage business, iirc

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGAFLK95EgQ

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Messadiah posted:

Mainly incompetence. It's usually the case where I'm an outside contractor having to trust a warehouse guy I just met... yeah, I'll just rent a scissor lift but thanks for the offer.

OK that's entirely fair. I wouldn't trust people I just met with that either.

I'm usually the only person on any crew that has their forklift ticket, so if we have to do this (and there's a core shed run by the Northern Territory government I've been to four times that has required us to do it every time) I'm generally the guy driving.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spog posted:

In this case they are absolutely correct but the UK is so incredibly risk-averse. They have warning signs on EVERYTHING. If they could make you wear a high visibility jacket and safety harness when taking a crap they would.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Last one is metal AF, like the T-Rex Terminator just getting pissed off.

Yeah but is Boone okay?

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Boko Haram posted:

I can't find the attachment we use on google, I was told it was made by our maintenance department so I doubt its something normally used. The attachment is a rectangle plate with a sharpened front edge, it attaches to the front of a pacer forklift...

Please get us a pic of your forklift murder accessory on your next shift.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I think this is a good time to watch Staplerfahrer Klaus again, especially since it has a bit about exactly this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChOHnSL7ZCg

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, he was hoist on his own petard in the most horrible of ways. That has to be the most terrible feeling to not only lose a child that way, but to know that you were in some way responsible for it being able to happen.
IIRC the dad threw some "he's with god now" poo poo at anyone who asked and didn't regret his decision. So yeah people are horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

IIRC the dad threw some "he's with god now" poo poo at anyone who asked and didn't regret his decision. So yeah people are horrible.

Capitalism is a gracious and unerring God, but requires regular blood sacrifices.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 24, 2018