Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

King Louie posted:

does anyone know of any good round ups on cuomo so i can get educated about how terrible he is?

i like the time he formed a panel to investigate corruption in new york politics and then axed it when they started investigating people close to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

financially racist posted:

i like the time he formed a panel to investigate corruption in new york politics and then axed it when they started investigating people close to him

Can't believe I forgot that one. That's what instigated Preet Bharara to start investigating himself, fight?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Look up the Women's Equality Party if you want some Cuomo laughs

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

let's not forget that cuomo only proposed a solution to merging senate democrats by the end of his second term, by calling primaries after budget negotiations end. that's also the de facto end of the legislative session, because good luck getting anything passed if it's not part of a budget resolution. that "way of life" in albany is the only reason why we have a $15 minimum wage and a raising of the age of being tried as an adult

if you skim the thread for news items you'll find some poo poo that we can't think of right now. there's a lot to go over

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Governor Ratfucker has never met a Rat he did not wish to gently caress vigorously and with great enthusiasm.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CaptainPsyko posted:

Governor Ratfucker has never met a Rat he did not wish to gently caress vigorously and with great enthusiasm.

Do we really want to leave this rat half-hosed? Hindsight is 20-20, and sure, starting to gently caress the rat may not have been the best decision, but he got us into this mess and I say we give him a chance to finish the job. Four more years.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

King Louie posted:

does anyone know of any good round ups on cuomo so i can get educated about how terrible he is?

He’s terrible on education too, he’s in the pocket of charter schools and he proposed tying teacher evaluations to test scores

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

pangstrom posted:

It's a weird place, but it's pretty similar to a lot of blue-collar exurb places with a lot of Italian and Irish American catholics. Think white firefighters and cops and troops. It's generally leaned republican but racebaiting Trump was really their jam.

Yeah that sounds about right, there's places like that all around the Northeast. Places that retain a working class vibe, mixed in with some remaining feel of ethnic enclaves for Catholic white groups, that unfortunately tend very drat racist.
I'm guessing some level of inferiority complex toward the more well heeled WASPy suburbs funnels back into getting vicious on anyone they see as below them.

I'm thinking also of South Boston namely.

Grape has issued a correction as of 04:57 on Mar 22, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the dominant white group in Staten Island are Italians, who moved there en masse from parts of Brooklyn as nonwhite groups "encroached" on their old neighborhoods from the '70s to the '90s. they left Canarsie in the '70s when black people moved in, they left Bushwick and Williamsburg around the same time when Puerto Ricans moved in, and they left Bensonhurst, Gravesend, and Sheepshead Bay in the '90s as Chinese and Russians moved in. that definitely plays into why they're so racist and exclusionary towards others

recently Russians have started to move there too, and they're also pretty racist and right wing

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 05:24 on Mar 22, 2018

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Obama did win Staten Island in 2008 and 2012 tho I believe

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

staten island has a very slight registration advantage for Democrats, as does Nassau County

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

get that OUT of my face posted:

the Kushners were lying about not owning any rent-regulated apartment units

whatever punishment they get will effectively be a "cost of doing business" measure

a little late to this party but the guy quoted in the article who has been spearheading this investigation is the one who organized me for a class action suit against my landlord. Aaron rules and is MAD AS HELL about tenantfucking

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

geez, there is just no end to Staten Islands depravity is there?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

a little late to this party but the guy quoted in the article who has been spearheading this investigation is the one who organized me for a class action suit against my landlord. Aaron rules and is MAD AS HELL about tenantfucking

He’s also my cousin!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

GalacticAcid posted:

It was tight both times so it's not like it matters much but McCain won by ~ 4 points in 2008 and Obama won by ~2 in 2012.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_New_York,_2008
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_New_York,_2012

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Grape posted:

Yeah that sounds about right, there's places like that all around the Northeast. Places that retain a working class vibe, mixed in with some remaining feel of ethnic enclaves for Catholic white groups, that unfortunately tend very drat racist.
I'm guessing some level of inferiority complex toward the more well heeled WASPy suburbs funnels back into getting vicious on anyone they see as below them.

I'm thinking also of South Boston namely.
Yeah. Reminds me of parts of Boston and Philadelphia. I'm sure other places, too, I just don't know many other places that well.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

to the surprise of absolutely nobody, cuomo wasn't at all serious about congestion pricing and it's not likely any of it will be put in the budget (though i suspected that was going to happen as recently as a month ago when my assemblyman said as much). much like shylock demanded his pound of flesh, cuomo continues to demand his share of money from the city to waste on LI-to-Westchester tunnels and USB ports loving everywhere, so he prefers "value capture" as a way of achieving that. basically it's a way of getting money from the increasing tax values of neighborhoods. meanwhile, lhota claims that under a deal brokered by david patterson and the legislature in 2009, there's no way to avoid another fare increase next year

at some point in the next five years, the subways will become completely unusable and i'm just going to say "gently caress it" and move to new jersey, whose leadership is enlightened by comparison

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

to the surprise of absolutely nobody, cuomo wasn't at all serious about congestion pricing and it's not likely any of it will be put in the budget (though i suspected that was going to happen as recently as a month ago when my assemblyman said as much). much like shylock demanded his pound of flesh, cuomo continues to demand his share of money from the city to waste on LI-to-Westchester tunnels and USB ports loving everywhere, so he prefers "value capture" as a way of achieving that. basically it's a way of getting money from the increasing tax values of neighborhoods. meanwhile, lhota claims that under a deal brokered by david patterson and the legislature in 2009, there's no way to avoid another fare increase next year

at some point in the next five years, the subways will become completely unusable and i'm just going to say "gently caress it" and move to new jersey, whose leadership is enlightened by comparison

Enjoy the impending NJTransit tunnel collapse

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I guess that "get out of New York State before it's too late" billboard I used to see at Oak Beach was true.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Matt Zerella posted:

I guess that "get out of New York State before it's too late" billboard I used to see at Oak Beach was true.

for more reasons than one as of this evening lol

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

pangstrom posted:

Yeah. Reminds me of parts of Boston and Philadelphia. I'm sure other places, too, I just don't know many other places that well.

There's a few towns here in Connecticut, the kind immediately adjacent to our cities, that fit the profile.
Famously Italian East Haven had this scandal some years back.
https://thinkprogress.org/east-haven-police-officers-found-guilty-of-systematic-discrimination-against-latinos-bfbcd2e42c9a/
It's not just random racism, the area of New Haven right next door (Fair Haven) is heavily latino. And generally I think Central American rather than Puerto Rican like other parts of CT. The scandal reeked of the local cops trying to send some kind of message like "stay on your side of the city limits".

It's one thing to have Cletus Joe Bob of rural Kentucky be racist and anti-immigrant, but it's a whole other level of disgusting when you see it with the Ellis Island ancestry crowd imo.

Grape has issued a correction as of 01:33 on Mar 23, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Uh Oh de Blasio!

https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/977013736178249728

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Enjoy the impending NJTransit tunnel collapse
like i'd be caught dead on a train as the transit system dies. i'll swallow my pride and drive instead

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

oh hell yeah i'm donating and voting for her

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

King Louie posted:

the nicest thing that can be said about cuomo is that he’s so spineless he will happily support whatever agenda he needs to in order to keep staying governor

booo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the nicest thing that can be said about cuomo is that he’s so spineless he will happily support whatever agenda he needs to in order to keep staying governor
unless that's giving left-wing policy anything other than fleeting lip service. there are exceptions to this- namely the paid family leave program- but there ain't many

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Being one of the first states to just take up marriage equality and pass it isn't nothing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Being one of the first states to just take up marriage equality and pass it isn't nothing.
true, but cuomo did a little give-and-get with republicans in order to even allow it to get voted on. he's more than willing to tell his ostensible own party to have nothing and like it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

true, but cuomo did a little give-and-get with republicans in order to even allow it to get voted on. he's more than willing to tell his ostensible own party to have nothing and like it

Yeah. I don't want him and his merry band of grifters to have any more time near the Governor's Mansion, nor get him near the White House, assuming Trump leaves anything there to be gruft.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh yeah, he's a real ally to LGBT folks...

https://twitter.com/barry/status/976857693431451649

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Vote for the homo, not for Cuomo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Is there any evidence he actually did this, though? Andrew wasn't the only person on Mario's staff in both campaigns?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hes campaign manager

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is there any evidence he actually did this, though? Andrew wasn't the only person on Mario's staff in both campaigns?

never give Andrew Cuomo the benefit of the doubt.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

lol in what world do you look at Cuomo and think, "There's no way this man could possibly have said this in the 80s?"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

unbutthurtable posted:

lol in what world do you look at Cuomo and think, "There's no way this man could possibly have said this in the 80s?"

I could believe anything, but I'm not going to just guilt him by association when there's so much poo poo we can actually tie him to.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I could believe anything, but I'm not going to just guilt him by association when there's so much poo poo we can actually tie him to.

I mean, he was the campaign manager and he didn’t exactly cover himself in glory trying to suppress it.

And they went back to the same well again a few years later.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/JimmyVielkind/status/978020575091331078

Eugh.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm all for a good joke at our expense. strong emphasis on "good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013