Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Have any of the collectors edition codecies been worth the extra cash? I like Necrons a lot but I’m not sure if the collectors edition codex will be worth literally double the price of the regular one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SRM posted:

I think an easy fix to some of the spammier lists is to limit one of each HQ choice per detachment.

My Tempestus Command Squads! 😭

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

Have any of the collectors edition codecies been worth the extra cash? I like Necrons a lot but I’m not sure if the collectors edition codex will be worth literally double the price of the regular one.

Having done it for a few, no not really. Some of the extras are neat, but literally the moment the next codex comes out you’ll regret having shelled out the extra.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
make. guard. squads. platoons. again.

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

Just got back from Adepticon. Played in the gentlemans tourney and the friendly. It was a lot of fun besides the last game of the friendly against a dude that had played in the championship the day before and who got super mad when I started to beat him. I saw he marked me a 3 out of 10 for sportsmanship and when I asked him about it he got all flustered and said he was mad at the format and extra stratagems we had to use and it wasn't me, even though he was rating me, so whatever. My cousin played him the game before and had a similar experience.

My guard rolling out in the 2nd round of the gentleman's tourney

Pro level army display boards

noted community personality and 40k badcast bad boi sexcannon visibly enjoying slamming hams!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TheChirurgeon posted:

They turned out amazing! Good luck at the tournament.

Corrode posted:

This looks great dude, that board really came together.

Ilor posted:

You girlfriend's legs aren't photobombing the final product.

Boo. :mad:

Thanks guys! I had a good showing overall in the GT and it was a lot of fun, was flying high going into the fourth game of the first night with a 3-0 record and 93 battle points which put me in the top 16 going into the final round. I ran the following all-Craftworld list that I tried to keep relatively balanced and not spammy:

quote:

Aliatoc Battalion Detachment
- Farseer: Faolchu's Wing (Relic - Fly 12"), Mind War, Fortune
- Spiritseer: Quicken/Restrain

3x5 Dire Avengers: Exarch

Wave Serpent: Shuriken Cannons, Shuriken Cannon

Aliatoc Battalion Detachment
- Skyrunner Farseer: Doom, Executioner
- Skyrunner Autarch: Warlord - Mark of the Incomparable Hunter (pick out characters with shooting), Fusion Gun, Laser Lance, Banshee Mask

2x5 Dire Avengers: Exarch
1x5 Rangers

1x7 Shining Spears: Exarch, Star Lance
1x6 Swooping Hawks: Exarch, Hawk's Talon

1x3 Dark Reapers: Exarch, Tempest Launcher
1x7 Dark Reapers: Exarch, Aeldari Missile Launcher

Crimson Hunter Exarch: Bright Lances
Hemlock Wraithfighter

Wave Serpent: Shuriken Cannons, Shuriken Cannon

In the first three games I faced:
Game One - Hammer-and-Anvil deployment - Mortarian-led, Four Plagueburst Death Guard army: 32-8 victory.
He went first and made the classic mistake of launching his Mortarian ahead of the rest of the army to get in my face turn 1. On my turn I brought everything in, unloaded my transports, and poured the entire army into it leaving him without much in the way of mobility. It was progressive scoring with most of the objectives on my side of the board (he planned to Death Guard his way across and take them rather than sit back on his side) so I snagged objectives where I could and picked apart his characters with Mind War and the Warlord. The Plaguebursts are nasty with those flamers. I REALLY misplayed my Shining Spears putting them both out of my Quicken Spiritseer range as well as rolling very, very badly with their charge off of the deep-strike. I used the +2 stratagem so I needed a 7, but I rolled a 1 and a 3, re-rolled a the 1 and still missed the charge leaving them exposed, doing nothing, and which they were promptly shot apart the next turn. Had I not misplaced them I'd probably have cleared full 40 points for the battle.

Game Two - Vanguard deployment - Epidemus-led Poxwalker/Cultist bomb with twin Fire Raptors, Bloodletter and Tzangor bomb: 40-0 victory.
I lost the roll but seized. His massive lines of cultists and some Nurglings prevented me from deploying outside of my deployment zone and he controlled 4 of 5 objectives right out but his characters and the Fire Raptors were the only things that could really do damage outright until his Tzangors or Bloodletters came in. I maxed my spacing in my zone, kept a couple of Dire Avenger units out front to push back any pile-in/consolidations from the Bloodletters coming in and then brought my Crimson Hunter in on turn 1. He kept his Raptors out of the max range of my Reapers (in a Wave Serpent) so I kept them inside, killed 23 of 31 cultists in a large blob, cleared a couple of Nurgling bases, and did 10 damage to one of the Raptors from the Crimson Hunter. On his turn he launched his Raptors deep in my lines since he wasn't going to be able to keep them alive through the next turn and tried to dish out damage on my Shining Spears hanging out in the back corner and my Crimson Hunter, but I popped the -1 stratagem for a total of -3 to hit which meant nothing was really effective. He brought his Tzangors in, used the endless tide strategem to refresh all 31 cultists, and generally marched 70 models my way further restricting my zone. My front line of infantry mostly disappeared. On my turn two I brought in the Hemlock and took down both Raptors, quickened the Shining Spears, and brought down a bunch of Tzangors, some backfield Cultists (smaller squads of 10 that I didn't think he'd refresh). This is where I learned the Poxwalkers grow in number and became a problem. So with 31 cultists marching into my corner, stretched out almost fully across the board and backed by Poxwalkers, I shifted to character hunting, shooting Poxwalkers, and killing Tzangors where possible while trying to prevent the Bloodletters from getting into my Reapers for one more turn using the Hunter and Hemlock to space. As the turns ticked by we exchanged a couple of characters, I kept his Bloodletters mostly out of the Reapers which managed to tie up the squad of 3, but when they came in I forewarned and managed to take down 13 between shooting and morale so my Farseer/Spiritseer was able to finish them off with smites/executioner and then a combat. His changecasters were tough to take down at 3++ so instead if focused my jets on the backfield cultists and poxwalkers while moving my Wave Serpents around into his backfield. In the last turns I unloaded my last two Avenger squads into the center objective, overwhelmed his models with shooting and then an assault which lowered the cultists and poxwalkers enough for me to claim superiority on that objective. My Farseer's sat on two other objectives, and his stretched line of cultists held one and just failed the charge in order to take the second from my Farseer (using obj secured). My Hemlock cleared the remaining cultists off his back objective in the last round. This game came down to whether we'd get a turn 5 or not - with 13+ minutes to go I gave him bottom of turn 4. We both looked at the clock and we both knew that if he slow played his turn with nothing but cultists, poxwalkers, and two characters that he'd win because his back objectives wasn't cleared and he held 3 to my 2. He started and began futzing with exact placement of his poxwalkers at which point I looked at him and said "Look man, we both know the time, we both know the turn rules (no turns begun after <5 minutes), please don't slow play me" to which he acknowledged it and we finished the game. I gave him the top-sportsmanship score on the sheet for it.

Game Three - Hammer-and-Anvil deployment - Celestine-led Imperial Guard army with three Custode Bike Captains - 21-19 victory
The second game was a tough match that came to the wire - this is the one that I figured I'd lose. Bike Captains do well against Eldar and Imperial Guard are always a tough fight, especially across the board in this deployment type. It actually worked out in my favor. This time he seized on me which was rough, but it turned out fortuitous. His Bike Captains shot forward along with some Sentinels and Celestine to close the gap, his shooting was largely ineffective since I turtled in the Serpents and kept my stuff at max range in the back of my zone - the Hunter and the Hemlock took most of the attention from the Basilisks and Tank Commander but using the -1 stratagem, most of his shots were hitting on 6's or not at all. On my turn I rocketed both jets forward 60" to hit at his Basalisks and brought my Shining Spears in at mid-field. At first I was thinking I needed to try and hold off the bike captains as best as I could, but then I realized how soft his backfield was and Quickened the Spears right into the heart of his Infantry, and Heavy Weapon teams which were spaced into two groups on either side of his Tank Commander. The jets brought one of the Basalisks into the bottom tier (meaning it couldn't hit anything due to my Aliatoc trait) and damaged the second and third into the second tier (needing 6's). The Spears cleared two of the infantry squads and damaged heavy weapons team and tied up the Tank Commander and HWT in assault. I cleared out the lone Sisters squad and Celestine's bodyguard but didn't quite take down Celestine. On his turn he was torn between moving into me or coming back to protect his Imperial Guard base. All of his Bike Captains fell back while the Sentinels and Celestine moved forward. His tied up units fell back and my Shining Spears got cleaned out by the combined Bike Captains and other fire + assaults. My jet's took some damage, dropping the Hemlock a tier (not that it matters for that jet) but otherwise I was in a good spot. Celestine did assault into my Reapers where all of my characters were who all intervened. She killed a bunch of Reapers then died, came back. On my turn she got put down for good by a bunch of psychic MW. Meanwhile I cleared out the Sentinels, advanced the Serpents to midfield, and bottom-tiered the remaining Basalisks. Nothing in his army ever made it back to midfield as I kept his Bike Captains lurching back and forth after the jets while my Serpents advanced. However, despite being solidly in control of the game flow, I wasn't able to rack up the primary objectives as much as I would have liked (I made mistakes in my movement - going for the kills rather than the objective points). So when it was all said and done, it was me exploding his tank commander on the last turn which put me over the top for a 29-28 victory. Extremely close game where I won Primary by 1 point, Secondary by 4 points (VPs), and lost Tertiary by 4 points.

I'm gonna go take care of some homework, but I'll post about a heart-breaking fourth-round loss which kept me out of the championship games later :) Apologies if that reads poorly, it's all stream of consciousness.

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 24, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Beast Pussy posted:

Serious question, how much do the shield captains and others need to shift before they're fair?
As a new player, I like the idea of being able to collect a bunch of smaller detachments and teams and getting to smush them together on the field. It doesn't feel like as much investment into a play style I might find out I don't like. Plus, as a new player, being able to fill out 1/4 of my list with three cool models means there's a much better chance that my poo poo won't just be primered when it hits the table.
Maybe I'm part of the problem, but ever since I've been reading this thread, everything that looks cool or fun to play with always has people shrieking about it. Guard? No, broken. Jetbikes? No, broken. Nids? GTFO. I can already hear the gnashing teeth from when GW has the nerve to release the next codex.

On a related note, I played my first game last week. We won heartily, by paying attention to victory points. My opponents tried to cheat by moving the terrain after the sides has been determined when everyone else went out for a smoke. They also kept trying to pick and choose between beta/ non beta rules. I almost picked up my dollies and left because of all the bullshit going on, but it was a doubles match, and I didn't want to let my teammate down. Final score was 37-2, so I guess that's what matters?

Try not smoking, you literal heap of trash?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

kommisar posted:

It was a lot of fun besides the last game of the friendly against a dude that had played in the championship the day before and who got super mad when I started to beat him. I saw he marked me a 3 out of 10 for sportsmanship and when I asked him about it he got all flustered and said he was mad at the format and extra stratagems we had to use and it wasn't me, even though he was rating me

This has always been by biggest issue with sportsmanship score, it's nice in theory but sometimes just turns into a saltmanship score, it's not like you can control yours or your opponents dice, or their mistakes, or that you can actually play the game.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I legit want to run a Custodes vexilla.

:shrug:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Hencoe posted:

This has always been by biggest issue with sportsmanship score, it's nice in theory but sometimes just turns into a saltmanship score, it's not like you can control yours or your opponents dice, or their mistakes, or that you can actually play the game.

This is why it's nice when events are small enough that organizers can follow up when people get abnormally low sports scores to identify problem players.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Booley posted:

None of these are a problem in and of themselves. The problem comes when you start mashing things together. A guard army is strong, yes, but perfectly fine to play against (even if kurov + grand strategist needs a nerf). Jetbike captains are fine - as part of a custodes army. Nid armies are strong, but also fine to play against, unless you do dumb poo poo like run nothing but 7 flyrants.

The problem comes when your guard army is a company commander with grand strategist and kurov's, 2 psykers, and a shadowsword, and then a bare minimum 150 points of genestealer cults to be the glue that lets you attach that to a bunch of flyrants. Or when your space marine army badly needs more command points so you take 180 points worth of guard to give you the chaff marines don't get and 3 more CP. Or when you can tack 3 jetbike captains onto any imperial army to give you a super tough mobile force that can clear chaff and elites well, and gives you more CP.

Isn't that the game though? I'm not being funny, like, the game is about putting together combos of dudes which work well together, and making them punch the other guy, right? If I'm playing expensive Custodes, and I need more dudes to be able to get objectives, why wouldn't I want to put some guard on the team to run and sit on objectives?

Schadenboner posted:

Try not smoking, you literal heap of trash?
That'll be hard, with how savagely you just roasted me.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

SteelMentor posted:

I can't wait for 8th ed Horus Heresy.

If only 'coz those Liquitex Inks make painting Alphas so much easier

Post some pix

Have there been in legions/warbands that switch Gods? Considering doing mine as Alpha Legion that love Papa Nurgle

goodness fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 24, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Beast Pussy posted:

Isn't that the game though? I'm not being funny, like, the game is about putting together combos of dudes which work well together, and making them punch the other guy, right? If I'm playing expensive Custodes, and I need more dudes to be able to get objectives, why wouldn't I want to put some guard on the team to run and sit on objectives?

Sort of not really? That's something that's really only come up in 7th (with formation fuckery) and 8th editions. For pretty much the rest of the game its been about how to use the strengths of your codex to overcome the weaknesses of your codex, and then how to exploit the weaknesses of your opponents codex. With your example of filling guard into a custodes list its more patching over and avoiding a weakness rather than actually dealing with it.

And even that, putting a few squads of guard into an army of custodes, isn't really much of an issue. The issue is more that you can pick and choose the best things from all the books. So you bring a guard army with numbers for objective control and tanks to blow poo poo up, and then fill the mobility hole with a few shield captains (and oh, gain a bonus CP for doing so!). The shield captains aren't really a part of the army, they're just tacked on.

Or you've got a tyranid list of a bunch of flyrants. But you want a little more anti tank. And you know you'll use lots of CP so need a way to recycle them. So you tack on a handful of genestealer cult to allow you to add the imperium keyword, and throw in a warlord to recycle CP and a shadowsword for antitank. You're not building an interesting list with GSC infiltrating a guard regiment to help the tyranids, you're just tacking the best things from a couple different books together.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Beast Pussy posted:

The problem isn't that players do it, the problem is that the rules make it all upside. Picking units from different armies is going to naturally be more powerful than a single codex just because you wouldn't pick the extra unit if it wasn't better. The game should compensate for this by giving drawbacks to cherry picking. This forces you to consider opportunity cost.

Building armies shouldn't be purely an exercise in mathematical optimization.

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

Hencoe posted:

It was my first time playing in the friendly. I brought a pretty pillow fisted guard list. I did have a brigade so tons of cp to use the extra stratagems they gave us to shut down units for a turn and to stop them from charging or shooting. Of course I'm going to use them to stop your giant bloodletter mob from charging my beloved guardsmen.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think Matt Root's GT winning list is a good example of breaking the game, he even used an all-codex list (though some FW is included).
- 7 Flying Hive Tyrants
- 4 Mawlocs
- A bunch of 20 point, single-model, spore mines to fill out troop requirements.

The fact that, that list can be built with a bunch of HQ units single-handedly rolling into a battle like some kind of 40k seven samurai means something is wrong with the structure of the game or the codex (It's the Supreme Command detachment).

In my opinion, the Supreme Command detachment just doesn't make sense. Why would three commanders all be together as one group anyway? At the very least they'd be accompanied by a grouping of elite troops? I think it's something that would be corrected by levying 1-2 Elite choice requirements on the detachment in order to use it.

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 24, 2018

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Booley posted:

Battlescribe is a bit awkward for setting up detachments that include units from multiple books. If you add the FW astartes entry as a sub-entry to your normal BA battalion or whatever you can take both as part of the same detachment.

Your libby dread does have the keyword FLY when his wings have manifest. The Flyer role is independent of the FLY keyword. Assault marines with jump packs are not Flyers, and Devastators are Heavy Support even if they're only armed with boltguns.

Dude, trap sprung. Im joking about the libby dred

I managed to figure it out on the phone, once.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

kommisar posted:

It was my first time playing in the friendly. I brought a pretty pillow fisted guard list. I did have a brigade so tons of cp to use the extra stratagems they gave us to shut down units for a turn and to stop them from charging or shooting. Of course I'm going to use them to stop your giant bloodletter mob from charging my beloved guardsmen.

Denial abilities are generally considered the most anti-fun category of thing you can do in most multiplayer games, what a weird inclusion.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

NovemberMike posted:

The problem isn't that players do it, the problem is that the rules make it all upside. Picking units from different armies is going to naturally be more powerful than a single codex just because you wouldn't pick the extra unit if it wasn't better. The game should compensate for this by giving drawbacks to cherry picking. This forces you to consider opportunity cost.

Yea you can't be mad at players doing what the rules allow, but the system itself is pretty absurd and really gives you no reason not to just tack whatever you can on to negate army weaknesses. At that point it's pretty radically different from how 40k has been for ages before 7th ed where the point of playing, say, IG was that you had to balance the 'I have literally hordes of bodies to throw at things and tanks that hit like...tanks...' and the 'I also have problems with mobility and squishiness that can be exploited if I go too heavy on either'. With the rules now why would you ever not just grab any rando troop you can find that fixes that?

Again, can't really blame the players themselves, it's not like they're cheating or even cheesing the rules in a shady way. The issue is the rules give you literally no reason to not grab units from other armies and typically the game's strategy component has been about managing trade-offs all the while before this.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

sexpig by night posted:

Yea you can't be mad at players doing what the rules allow, but the system itself is pretty absurd and really gives you no reason not to just tack whatever you can on to negate army weaknesses. At that point it's pretty radically different from how 40k has been for ages before 7th ed where the point of playing, say, IG was that you had to balance the 'I have literally hordes of bodies to throw at things and tanks that hit like...tanks...' and the 'I also have problems with mobility and squishiness that can be exploited if I go too heavy on either'. With the rules now why would you ever not just grab any rando troop you can find that fixes that?

Again, can't really blame the players themselves, it's not like they're cheating or even cheesing the rules in a shady way. The issue is the rules give you literally no reason to not grab units from other armies and typically the game's strategy component has been about managing trade-offs all the while before this.

Yeah, all Smarties and no vegetables.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
See, I like that you can mix factions of the same alliance to cover weaknesses, that makes fluff sense in a way that "why did this army of shooty sisters decide to take on a teleporting wave of khorne punchers" doesn't.

Really, I think limiting relics & stratagems to one codex + axing supreme command would fix a lot of problems

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

See, I like that you can mix factions of the same alliance to cover weaknesses, that makes fluff sense in a way that "why did this army of shooty sisters decide to take on a teleporting wave of khorne punchers" doesn't.

Really, I think limiting relics & stratagems to one codex + axing supreme command would fix a lot of problems

There's two parts to this. First, it is cool when people take fluffy combined arms lists. Space Marines drop podding in to help an IG brigade take an objective is fluffy and cool. Second, it's also cool when an army comes entirely from one codex.

Right now, the game doesn't give you an incentive for the second.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Booley posted:

Sort of not really? That's something that's really only come up in 7th (with formation fuckery) and 8th editions. For pretty much the rest of the game its been about how to use the strengths of your codex to overcome the weaknesses of your codex, and then how to exploit the weaknesses of your opponents codex. With your example of filling guard into a custodes list its more patching over and avoiding a weakness rather than actually dealing with it.

And even that, putting a few squads of guard into an army of custodes, isn't really much of an issue. The issue is more that you can pick and choose the best things from all the books. So you bring a guard army with numbers for objective control and tanks to blow poo poo up, and then fill the mobility hole with a few shield captains (and oh, gain a bonus CP for doing so!). The shield captains aren't really a part of the army, they're just tacked on.

Or you've got a tyranid list of a bunch of flyrants. But you want a little more anti tank. And you know you'll use lots of CP so need a way to recycle them. So you tack on a handful of genestealer cult to allow you to add the imperium keyword, and throw in a warlord to recycle CP and a shadowsword for antitank. You're not building an interesting list with GSC infiltrating a guard regiment to help the tyranids, you're just tacking the best things from a couple different books together.

NovemberMike posted:

Alright, as someone new to the hobby, this is all I've known. I see what you mean though. Is the FAQ coming out soon?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
The introduction of allies ruined things. It stopped being optimization within a codex to optimization math.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

For_Great_Justice posted:

The introduction of allies ruined things. It stopped being optimization within a codex to optimization math.

I think the way it was done back in 2E was a p. deece approach, you were limited to a certain percentage of certain armies.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

For_Great_Justice posted:

Agreed. Im cool with allies, but only as a super limited, more "making this list for fun and fluff reasons" than "lemme break out my spreadsheets and optimize everything to death" option. 7th started the problem, and 8th made it 10x worse.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I remember the allies matrix being a thing in 5e and I honestly don't remember the big difference between that implementation and 7e's implementation.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

There hasn't been nearly enough talk about how baller the big knight looks

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Nah

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

NovemberMike posted:

Space Marines drop podding in to help an IG brigade take an objective is fluffy and cool

having just wrapped a 1k game where i did something like this, it is indeed both fluffy and cool. 21 mortal guardsmen went into the fight, 8 made it out. a good day

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Booyah- posted:

There hasn't been nearly enough talk about how baller the big knight looks

It should lose at least the missiles and the small shoulder turrets

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

All this allies hate makes me nervous about the army I'm currently working on. I'm worried people will get huffy at it being "soup".

Basically it's going to be 50/50 Sisters and Scions. Scions I'm fluffing as ecclesiarchy stormtroopers.

Main reason I'm doing it is because I don't want to have to buy another 40 or so metal sisters, especially with plastic ones announced.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm going to be surprised and disappointed if AdMech aligned houses get boned in the knight codex.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Ayn Marx posted:

It should lose at least the missiles and the small shoulder turrets

You should lose

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Here's a suggestion I don't think I've seen posted: dial back the standard game size.

1.5k instead of 2k makes it harder to cram in as many detachments, and also helps ameliorate the problem of 2k being an absurd target for a lot of people, as well as with the problem of some of the armies that need to ally in support units.

If you were to remove allies/detachment mixing completely I think it's telling that (at least where I play) you'd probably lose 50-75% of the players that came back specifically because 8th made the game playable again.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Final Adepticon GT trip report.
Game Four - Dawn-of-War deployment. Winning this game sends me to the championship bracket.

Guilliman-led Ultramarines with a Venator, two Relic Leviathan Dreads, Three Dev squads, a couple of scout squads, a Techmarine, Tigerius, and a LT with a Banner that let's dead guys do alive guy things. There were 3 objectives in a diagonal line down the center of the board.

During deployment I packed everything into the Wave Serpents to get the +1 on the roll. He began forming his bubble on my center-left side of the board so I placed my Wave Serpents and Spears in the opposite corner out of range of his Relic dreads. I dropped my Hemlock/Hunter into deep strike and then placed three Avenger squads and the bike Farseer and Autarch behind them directly in front of his bubble but out of LoS. If he won the roll he would either waste a turn or give me the turn and if I won the roll I was going to hammer him with everything turn one by using the Phantasm stratagem to redeploy my Wave Serpents and Spears. I won the roll and used the stratagem.

Placing the Spears right in front of his triple-line of Devastators I shifted the Wave Serpents to my far left them moved everything up to be within range with my Rangers deployed far right. My Reapers jumped out and lined up shots on the Relics, while my Crimson Hunter and Hemlock came in on the far left near his deployment zone. The Swooping Hawks dropped in on the scouts in his deployment zone on my right side.

The Hemlock took half of the hit points off the Venator, while the Wave Serpents and Crimson Hunter combined to take the grav-toting Relic down to 7 wounds, and the Spears which I quickened to be right in front of his Devastator line, wiped all three squads out and took the banner guy down to 1 wound between shuriken shots, lances, and the charge. My Hawks dropped all but 2 scouts on my right flank, and the three advancing Avenger squads dropped the other scout squad. The Reapers were largely ineffective against the other Relic in what would become an ongoing theme. They did 3 dmg I think. The banner barely helped as he either rolled poorly to activate, failed to wound, or I rolled to save. His turn one saw him clear my Spears and do a few points of damage to my flyers, but that was about it. On turn 1 I cleared 530 points and crippled another 500-700 drastically reducing their effectiveness against my Aliatoc Eldar. On his turn 1 he cleared my Shining Spears - I was in the driver's seat. That's when I got over-confident and careless.

In the following two turns I pressed in on him trying to table him instead of backing away and playing for objectives and forcing him to move, spread out, and try to outfight me with a less mobile, less long-ranged force. What followed was a slow whittling of my army. My Reapers failed to finish off the Relics turn after turn as he either rolled really well on his 4++ or while he rolled great for his Techmarine. By turn 5 he was down to a 5 wound Relic (the one that was taken down to 7) , Gilly, and the Techmarine. My Wave Serpents were gone, the Hemlock was gone, and I was down to a Ranger squad, a damaged Crimson Hunter, my Reapers, four Avenger squads, my Rangers two turns of movement from an objective, and two Farseers and Spiritseer. I rolled poorly in the psychic phase and he again rolled incredible once again on his remaining Relic and managed to keep it alive with 1 wound remaining. His Techmarine died. On his turn, the Relic moved onto one objective, Gilly into the center and then shot one of my Avenger squads off of my objective while the the Relic wrecked a Farseer and damaged two Avenger squads taking them to 2 models a piece..

Dire, my Spiritseer finally ended the Relic with a smite and the two Dire Avenger squads moved toward the objective. However, one was kept from it by an inch due to the position of the relic. My Rangers couldn't make it to the bottom objective. I shot everything into Gilly leaving him with 1 wound remaining. On his turn he killed the two Avengers giving him sole control of one objective... worth 10 points. I never even bothered to check objectives because I knew I was tabling him after turn one.

I lost, end of GT. Some unlucky rolls and over-confidence cost me. Extremely disappointing but I'd rather have lost because I hosed up than because I got slow played or played someone who skirted every line possible. It was a great game against a great opponent.

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 24, 2018

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Boon posted:

I think Matt Root's GT winning list is a good example of breaking the game, he even used an all-codex list (though some FW is included).
- 7 Flying Hive Tyrants
- 4 Mawlocs
- A bunch of 20 point, single-model, spore mines to fill out troop requirements.

The fact that, that list can be built with a bunch of HQ units single-handedly rolling into a battle like some kind of 40k seven samurai means something is wrong with the structure of the game or the codex (It's the Supreme Command detachment).

In my opinion, the Supreme Command detachment just doesn't make sense. Why would three commanders all be together as one group anyway? At the very least they'd be accompanied by a grouping of elite troops? I think it's something that would be corrected by levying 1-2 Elite choice requirements on the detachment in order to use it.

Every sport we have participated in is like this at the competitive level. Guns, Cars, Motorcycles all boil down to skills + capital if you subtract one you are probably not making it to the top. I plan to avoid competitive play for exactly this reason..

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Here'd be my attempt at balancing allied codex detachments.

First, give each detachment faction keywords. This is mostly done already, but you'd probably want to errata some of this to get factions to 3 keywords (so Tau might become Tau Empire/Fire Caste/Da'lyth).

Your warlord's detachment is the primary. For each other detachment, check how many faction keywords match. If it's 0, you're a blue dude with poor coordination and they're a flesh devouring monster from beyond the galaxy. It's not going to work out. If it's 1, you wouldn't shoot them on sight but you also don't actually know what they do. Subtract 3 CP. If it's 2, there's a little friction but you can manage. Subtract 1 CP. If it's 3 everything's hunky dory. No change.

You'd also add in wildcard keywords, so Imperium/Inquisistion*/Ordo Malleus would have the Inquisition* match with any Imperium detachment, and you'd probably have rules to replace turn IMPERIUM/ASTRA MILITARUM/<REGIMENT> with IMPERIUM/CHAPTER SERF/<CHAPTER> with some restricitons.

With this, if I went with Brigade (Warlord) IMPERIUM/ASTRA MILITARUM/CADIA, Supreme Command IMPERIUM/ADEPTUS CUSTODES/X, Air Wing Detachment IMPERIUM/ADEPTUS ASTARTES/ULTRAMARINES I'd have 8 CP instead of 14. That's actually still perfectly playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Allies as a idea isn't bad. What I mean is this.

Codex space marines is elite stuff small in number.

Tyranids can make unbreakable swarms to say hold objectives.

The basic strengths an weakneses are there but combined they cover the other so well whats the down side. There is none. The lore is gone, the individuality is gone. Its an event list.

Chaos codex 4e allowed you some IG stuff if you took Iron Warriors an only so much. You had variance that made sense an stuff to work with lore wise.

Now its promoted mid maxing.