Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Tie the minimum wage to the maximum earner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Qualia posted:

enter: duh, the thread.

ask soft questions; write hard answers.

otherwise, what? let the centrists watch and masturbate while the rightists self-destruct and the leftists self-sabotage?

exit: humanity

this post is incomprehensible

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

this post is incomprehensible

is "le sigh" still something said today

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Peachfart posted:

This is all they know how to do. Hard societal questions that require a lot of work can be handwaved with 'socialize it lol'.

You should start here: https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/

After that, we can move on to some Lenin to figure out how we actually build a party that can lead the masses in that direction.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Girl in Tacoma who got tasered and manhandled won her lawsuit.

http://komonews.com/news/local/tasered-teen-wins-excessive-force-lawsuit-after-violent-police-encounter-at-tacoma-mall

as always - ACAB

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I can't find anything saying what happened to the cop (Jared Williams). I assume nothing, and that he's still working for the Tacoma PD?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Thanatosian posted:

I can't find anything saying what happened to the cop (Jared Williams). I assume nothing, and that he's still working for the Tacoma PD?

According to a BLM webpage, they say that he's still on duty. I can't find anything that lists officer status on the tacoma pd website.

It really bothers me that when I worked for a local gov office it was super easy to look me up and see my salary and all sorts of poo poo but cops get so much protection.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

This rear end hole in the black truck was harassing the protestors out in North Bend today. Gunning the engine and making black smoke.

Is anything one can do about this? Like police report wise, can't quite make out the plate unfortunately. Wish I'd shot video.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I the media was there too I bet they took pictures also

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BrandorKP posted:

This rear end hole in the black truck was harassing the protestors out in North Bend today. Gunning the engine and making black smoke.

Is anything one can do about this? Like police report wise, can't quite make out the plate unfortunately. Wish I'd shot video.
This practice is called "rolling coal" and if you google search that term you'll find a ton of examples of people doing this to protesters, or hybrid cars, or bicyclists, or random pedestrians. I don't think it's illegal.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

anthonypants posted:

This practice is called "rolling coal" and if you google search that term you'll find a ton of examples of people doing this to protesters, or hybrid cars, or bicyclists, or random pedestrians. I don't think it's illegal.

I'm familiar with rolling coal.

I called the police department and reported it anyway. Someone harassing a crowd largely made up of women and childern is unhinged and might do something stupid. They told me they had officers at the protest. I think it's the same assholes (in a different truck) that drove through town harassing people after the inauguration.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

anthonypants posted:

It's illegal but there's no real mechanism for individual violations, being federal laws.

https://jalopnik.com/the-epa-just-said-that-this-whole-rolling-coal-thing-is-1601808499

But 2014 so now it's probably encouraged.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
C45743J is the plate near as I can tell.

E: maybe 9J

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Is the end game to find out where they live and leave organic produce at their door? (eggs seem good)

(don't do this just report it to the cops)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

C45743J is the plate near as I can tell.

E: maybe 9J

My wife was at the protest later. Apparently several other large trucks did the same thing. It sounds like they might have driven through several of the local protests in the same way.

silicone thrills posted:

(don't do this just report it to the cops)

That's what I did.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 25, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The Burgerville workers union is threatening to get the NLRB involved. Not sure how well that's going to work out for them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just got a notice that my apartment is instituting leases instead of forcing everyone to be month to month "due to the everchanging rules and regulations from Seattle's city council". I don't know what exactly prompted this but thanks city council

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Huh they close the terminals for Caesar Chavez's birthday up here, go ILWU.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

BrandorKP posted:

I'm familiar with rolling coal.

I called the police department and reported it anyway. Someone harassing a crowd largely made up of women and childern is unhinged and might do something stupid. They told me they had officers at the protest. I think it's the same assholes (in a different truck) that drove through town harassing people after the inauguration.

A Venn diagram of "People Dumb Enough to Modify Their Trucks to Shoot Smoke at Libtards" and "People Who Become Cops" probably has a lot of overlap.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
RIP Boeing https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-hit-by-wannacry-virus-fears-it-could-cripple-some-jet-production/

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

As far as I know, it's limited to Charleston for the moment. I haven't heard anyone up here with issues.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Def wouldn’t have happened with skilled union computer touchers

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BrandorKP posted:

slash tires, throw rocks, block traffic

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Hmm. Less than a week after Russia is ordered to close its consulate in the Seattle area due to its proximity to Boeing manufacturing facilities, Boeing experiences an attack by "broken" ransomware which is actually only good for ruining systems it hits. I wonder if that's related.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Chadderbox posted:

Hmm. Less than a week after Russia is ordered to close its consulate in the Seattle area due to its proximity to Boeing manufacturing facilities, Boeing experiences an attack by "broken" ransomware which is actually only good for ruining systems it hits. I wonder if that's related.

you're sounding real neolib right now

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Chadderbox posted:

It only hit the Charleston locations. I didn’t even hear about this at work.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

you're sounding real neolib right now

Uhh, how so?

Solkanar512 posted:

It only hit the Charleston locations. I didn’t even hear about this at work.

So what though? Russia loses their consulate with the stated reason being "protect Boeing", announces "the US will come to regret this" and then days later an attack hits Boeing computers. I'm not saying it's definitely linked, just that it's an interesting coincidence. If Russia were trying to send a message to the US they wouldn't necessarily need to hit Boeing computers in the Seattle area specifically to do so.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Chadderbox posted:

Uhh, how so?

So what though? Russia loses their consulate with the stated reason being "protect Boeing", announces "the US will come to regret this" and then days later an attack hits Boeing computers. I'm not saying it's definitely linked, just that it's an interesting coincidence. If Russia were trying to send a message to the US they wouldn't necessarily need to hit Boeing computers in the Seattle area specifically to do so.

If you're trying to hit someone in Seattle, then hitting the Charleston based computers of a large company headquartered in Chicago, IL seems like an odd choice. Also, the city of Atlanta was also hit with similar ransomware.

Look, anything is possible but this feels like a huge stretch to me.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Chadderbox posted:

Uhh, how so?

Haven't you heard? If you are against Russia in any way you are a Neoliberal.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Solkanar512 posted:

If you're trying to hit someone in Seattle, then hitting the Charleston based computers of a large company headquartered in Chicago, IL seems like an odd choice. Also, the city of Atlanta was also hit with similar ransomware.

I mean forget about "Is this true?", I'm still at "How could anyone care even if it were true?" Russia attacked a private company out of spite accomplishing literally nothing? Ok.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Peachfart posted:

Ah, got it.

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm suggesting that maybe they took a potshot at Boeing as retaliation for steps that were taken to protect Boeing which they didn't like. If that's what happened it doesn't logically follow that they would have to hit Boeing in Seattle specifically just so the same city is affected. I agree that it's just speculative and there's no proof of anything. I just thought it was interesting timing is all.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Peachfart posted:

more along the lines of 'if you are looking for russia to be the spooky boogeyman any time anything in the us goes wrong you are a neoliberal'

'i wonder if that's related 🤔' is some stupid eric garland speculation

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

more along the lines of 'if you are looking for russia to be the spooky boogeyman any time anything in the us goes wrong you are a neoliberal'

'i wonder if that's related 🤔' is some stupid eric garland speculation

Funny enough when traffic was a little worse than usual this morning I did not speculate on whether or not Russia was at fault. When Russia says "you guys will regret closing our consulate to protect Boeing" and then Boeing gets hit with a virus attack mere days later I wondered if they had anything to do with it while conceding that it's speculative. Totally wild and off base, I know. The ravings of a paranoid neoliberal.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
if you scale back your rolling with the punches routine you might be able to get a spot on AM Joy this weekend

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

if you scale back your rolling with the punches routine you might be able to get a spot on AM Joy this weekend

The only thing rolling right now is my eyes. My comment was benign. If it continues to upset you, you may want to ask your doctor if Xanax is right for you.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Both of you are bad at the amused dismissal gag.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Chadderbox posted:

Totally wild and off base, I know. The ravings of a paranoid neoliberal.
This is correct, thank you.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Buncha people who don't understand wannacry /variants in this thread. - I'm gonna way way way over simplfy this.

Boeing, being the behemoth that it is, probably doesn't have all of its windows computers patched up. That's not unusual for any computer, there's frequently 5% or so of computers that don't have all their updates for any company. Jimbob opens "USPS mailing receipt" or whatever and clicks the link. Wannacry silently does its thing and as soon as it is finished loading - before it starts encrypting - will start scouring the network for any other machine that isn't patched up. It spreads like wildfire which is why the organization i'm at was literally talking about putting in kill switches onto our network so if we get an alert ping for it, we literally would shut down all our network equip to stop the spread.

It's not the drat Russians. We did this to ourselves. Our government made that poo poo. Our government failed to keep it contained.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 30, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

silicone thrills posted:

Buncha people who don't understand wannacry /variants in this thread. - I'm gonna way way way over simply this.

Boeing, being the behemoth that it is, probably doesn't have all of its windows computers patched up. That's not unusual for any computer, there's frequently 5% or so of computers that don't have all their updates for any company. Jimbob opens "USPS mailing receipt" or whatever and clicks the link. Wannacry silently does its thing and as soon as it is finished loading - before it starts encrypting - will start scouring the network for any other machine that isn't patched up. It spreads like wildfire which is why the organization i'm at was literally talking about putting in kill switches onto our network so if we get an alert ping for it, we literally would shut down all our network equip to stop the spread.

It's not the drat Russians. We did this to ourselves. Our government made that poo poo. Our government failed to keep it contained.
Companies like Boeing, or Experian, or Sony, have all weighed the risk of their emails getting leaked, or someone taking their employees' W2s, or their customers passwords or PHI stolen, or all their desktops getting encrypted, and have simultaneously come to the conclusion that they "can't" upgrade because it would be "too expensive". Whenever your poo poo gets popped because you signed up for MyFitnessPal or when you need to replace the debit card you used at Home Depot once, absolutely nothing will happen to these companies, because it "wasn't their fault". It's always North Korea, or Russia, or ISIS, or tied to whatever the current cause célèbre is, and since there's nothing we can do about that, here's another year of free credit reporting. As long as there are credulous people """"""""""jokingly"""""""""" parroting xenophobic, McCarthyist, warmongering propaganda, and as long as no one is willing to hold companies responsible for insecure business practices, things aren't going to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

anthonypants posted:

Companies like Boeing, or Experian, or Sony, have all weighed the risk of their emails getting leaked, or someone taking their employees' W2s, or their customers passwords or PHI stolen, or all their desktops getting encrypted, and have simultaneously come to the conclusion that they "can't" upgrade because it would be "too expensive". Whenever your poo poo gets popped because you signed up for MyFitnessPal or when you need to replace the debit card you used at Home Depot once, absolutely nothing will happen to these companies, because it "wasn't their fault". It's always North Korea, or Russia, or ISIS, or tied to whatever the current cause célèbre is, and since there's nothing we can do about that, here's another year of free credit reporting. As long as there are credulous people """"""""""jokingly"""""""""" parroting xenophobic, McCarthyist, warmongering propaganda, and as long as no one is willing to hold companies responsible for insecure business practices, things aren't going to change.

A big part of my job is trying to keep macs and PCs up to date and it isn't so much expense as it is literally just tracking poo poo down which maaaybe more people would help? But even then, someone brings a laptop home that sits around not getting updates for 2 months, I call them and I call them and harass them to update it and if they don't update it before the the user click something stupid then they bring it into work then boom. thats it. And yeah, there's technologies out there that can make this better. And there's organizations that just do patently boneheaded poo poo like Target letting HVAC contractors run wild in their environment and honestly i think they deserve criminal charges.