Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

LingcodKilla posted:

You may be my new best friend if I land some orders to Tampa. See what happens in the next couple of weeks.

I got an extra ‘yak for ya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TheBizzness posted:

I got an extra ‘yak for ya!

Bless your heart.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I'm being given a sit-in yak I need to convert for fishing duties :clint:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Welp, I guess I'd better start saving for a kayak for next year and figure out a place to put it in the meantime. I want to get at those dang rockfish and lingcod.

LingcodKilla posted:

Yo Kolbold Area 10 Puget Sound fishing is gonna open up soon. I’ll be launching my kayak out of port orchard to make a run at lingcod or whatever will really bite off of Blake island.

That sounds awesome, and I wish that I could join you out there! Hopefully next year I'll have one, too. I guess I could look at rental options, too. Hmm.

I'd hop a ferry over for some crabs though. I specifically want to have the "What the gently caress am I going to do with all of this crab meat?" problem this year.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ugh there's a chance I'll be moving to Seattle later this year for a new job and I am just so excited for the possibility of lingcod and dungeness I can't stand it

If this happens I'll definitely be bothering you WA guys

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Welp, I guess I'd better start saving for a kayak for next year and figure out a place to put it in the meantime. I want to get at those dang rockfish and lingcod.

That sounds awesome, and I wish that I could join you out there! Hopefully next year I'll have one, too. I guess I could look at rental options, too. Hmm.

I'd hop a ferry over for some crabs though. I specifically want to have the "What the gently caress am I going to do with all of this crab meat?" problem this year.

Hooplah posted:

Ugh there's a chance I'll be moving to Seattle later this year for a new job and I am just so excited for the possibility of lingcod and dungeness I can't stand it

Don’t overlook kitsap county as a place to live. I love port orchard.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Don’t overlook kitsap county as a place to live. I love port orchard.

It's definitely on my radar. I also idly browse undeveloped real estate in Gray's Harbor county on Craigslist. You can get 30+ acres near the beach for a third of the price of a shack in Seattle. Thanks Bezos, ya sacka poo poo!

Hooplah posted:

You have already demonstrated more desire and appreciation to be here than 95% of the other transplants, so come on up!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Went out for a few minutes after work. Good times.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I want to buy a kayak now to avoid that poo poo, but storing it would be an issue.

Do you not have a living room*? I live in a second-floor apartment and manage just fine. Getting them in & out is kinda funny to watch according to neighbors but I make it work.

*I'm a bachelor who lives alone with my impulse purchases, may not be a viable solution for other people.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Danthrax posted:

Do you not have a living room*? I live in a second-floor apartment and manage just fine. Getting them in & out is kinda funny to watch according to neighbors but I make it work.

*I'm a bachelor who lives alone with my impulse purchases, may not be a viable solution for other people.

A bachelor with two kayaks?!?! How are you still single?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Danthrax posted:

Hahaha I do, but there's more stuff in mine than in yours and my roommate is already very patient with my hobby clutter. There are enough kayaks around where I live that I should (I hope) be able to find a cheap storage solution. I hope I can; I've wanted to go island camping in the San Juans ever since I moved here, and it would be neat to fish for dinner from it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

bongwizzard posted:

A bachelor with two kayaks?!?! How are you still single?

As another bachelor with two kayaks, I wish I knew

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I sold my SUP last fall and am down to just a single kayak-type water conveyance.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m looking at buying a 10fter rated for 275lb or so. My 13.5ft is great for hauling me plus my traps but for just checking my traps and fishing I need something smaller.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Local store was having a $10 off rods/reels + no tax (13% Ontario! :argh:) event today only. There were other deals to be had as well.

Grabbed two reels to fix my "no backup" issue I've been dealing with. Daiwa large cheap backup reel for carp & cats, , and an Abu baitcaster. I had extra rods for the reels, so just needed the actual reels. This gives me a good spinning, baitcaster, and "meh" spinning setup for a third to keep with me.

Daiwa Sweepfire 4000, 20lb mono, on an old 9' light action two-piece Ugly Stick. This will be for fishing carp and catfish with the kids.

Abu Silver Max on an old 6' Zebco rod I re-inherited from when I was a teenager. Medium action two-piece with decently sensitive tip. 10lb braid put on it, so I can use as a backup to drift in the boat for walleye.

My well abused Pfleuger Supreme with braid on, mounted to my one-piece Fenwick HMX medium-light/fast rod. This will be the normal perch and walleye I prey upon most of the year. Nice sensitive tip for bottom jigging from shore, and we'll see how she fares in the boat.

Here's to a good season! (I hope :ohdear:)

Sockington fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 24, 2018

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m a married man with 3 kayaks and a 16’ Gheenoe but not nearly enough free time for fishing

It’s the Yin and the Yang friends.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I met up with a pack of kolbolds and was strangely disappointed he wasn’t really three kolbolds on each other’s shoulders in a long coat.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

That would be more like a few kobolds. Regardless, you have a lovely home and I'm looking forward to cleaning crabs in your yard! I'm not set up to brew lagers but I'll get a crisp pale ale going and try to fake it.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Heartwarming, a couple of Fishgoons™©® meeting and enjoying some angling. My friends are dumb and don't care about fishing unless I orchestrate the entire thing.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

That would be more like a few kobolds. Regardless, you have a lovely home and I'm looking forward to cleaning crabs in your yard! I'm not set up to brew lagers but I'll get a crisp pale ale going and try to fake it.

Make an altbier or kellerbier. The alt is easier since you don’t need lagering temperature. If you can maintain 55-60F, you’re fine.

gamera009 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 25, 2018

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

If anybody is up for fishing Boston let me know.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gamera009 posted:

Make an altbier or kellerbier. The alt is easier since you don’t need layering temperature. If you can maintain 55-60F, you’re fine.

Thanks for the tip about kellerbier. I haven't made that before.

Florida goons, what kind of fishing charter options are available to you? Do locals go on them, or are they primarily for out-of-state tourists?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

What part? There are a veritable fuckload in So. Fla. ranging from pricey, private sport fishing for 2-4 person groups to head boats where each person buys a ticket, which can range from 10-40 people.

I haven't done any private trips so I can't speak to those, but I do go out on larger ones. Some are total tourist traps, some are really good and get frequented by locals.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

The guy who runs CapMel.com does (all inclusive) kayak fishing charters for what looks like a reasonable price, especially split among a few people. Once my finances aren't in such shambles I'd like to book one with him.

There are plenty of options in the Tampa Bay area too, from small to large, hardcore to touristy just like Enigma said. My dad and I did a ~30 person party boat when we moved down here but that was over a decade ago, I haven't been on one here since then.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If you’re in the Tampa area rent a boat and I will take/show you to more fish than you have time to catch.

Can’t get there with my trolling motor and paddling the kayak 4 miles each way isn’t so much fun and makes keeping fish nearly impossible.

Been to the spot twice in the last year and you can see the huge snook and red shadows in the water and the area (I call it a lagoon) is big enough like 8 charter boats can be back there without interfering with each other.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Went out before work for an hour and got skunked. Not even a nibble.

Also working on that baitcaster learning curve.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Man that isnt even a bad looking one

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Thanks for the Florida info! I know it's a big state and that the fishing is probably pretty different on the gulf side versus the Atlantic side. It's a pretty big gap in my fishing knowledge, so it's all interesting to me.

Enigma posted:

What part? There are a veritable fuckload in So. Fla. ranging from pricey, private sport fishing for 2-4 person groups to head boats where each person buys a ticket, which can range from 10-40 people.

I haven't done any private trips so I can't speak to those, but I do go out on larger ones. Some are total tourist traps, some are really good and get frequented by locals.

This is why I ask. If I ever get a chance to go, I want to make sure that it wouldn't be like the equivalent of a Ride the Ducks tourist boat. I would prefer to catch fish more than I'd like to be captive audience to some rear end in a top hat in a Hawaiian shirt grooving out to Kool & the Gang, trying to loosen up the tourist crowd.

Sockington posted:

Went out before work for an hour and got skunked. Not even a nibble.

Really digging that traffic cone rodholder. I've been trying to mentally design some kind of stable rodholder for docks and piers without handrails. Naturally I'm all trying to think of ways to anchor some kind of structure between the slits in the boards, but probably all I need to do is lean my rod against something sturdier than my backpack. Sorry you got skunked, though. What were you going for?

quote:

Also working on that baitcaster learning curve.

:( :hf: :(

2018 goals.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
For me, re: baitcasters, if you're dialed in in regards to your brakes- the less I tried the better I did. Every time I tried to really put power into the cast I'd backlash, sometimes resulting in a snapped line and a lost lure.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Thanks for the Florida info! I know it's a big state and that the fishing is probably pretty different on the gulf side versus the Atlantic side. It's a pretty big gap in my fishing knowledge, so it's all interesting to me.

This is why I ask. If I ever get a chance to go, I want to make sure that it wouldn't be like the equivalent of a Ride the Ducks tourist boat. I would prefer to catch fish more than I'd like to be captive audience to some rear end in a top hat in a Hawaiian shirt grooving out to Kool & the Gang, trying to loosen up the tourist crowd.

No problem, and if you're ever down I can point you to/away from some.

The main difference between South Florida and the rest of the state (or continental US really) is the reef. The reef down here are a mile or less offshore, giving easy access to a ton of different types of fish (including a variety of snappers). A little further out and the depth drops off hugely. I've fished wrecks in 400 feet of water within sight of shore. By contrast, from what I hear on the west coast you have to go out 10+ miles before there's any depth.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
My advice is to start with a bank sinker at the upper range of your rod’s rating. Once you can hit a trash can lid in your yard with that, tie on a jig or something like that and try it on the water. Baitcasters generally want a smother motion than a spinning reel, which is challenging with close range casts with lighter lures. For the same reason, learn to pitch, it is by far the best way to cast to close targets.

Also buy a daiwa SV reel, it’s like cheating.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

Man that isnt even a bad looking one

Baby steps until I can nest like a pro :cheers:

Really digging that traffic cone rodholder. I've been trying to mentally design some kind of stable rodholder for docks and piers without handrails. Naturally I'm all trying to think of ways to anchor some kind of structure between the slits in the boards, but probably all I need to do is lean my rod against something sturdier than my backpack. Sorry you got skunked, though. What were you going for?

I was hoping a walleye or pike were interested in a few colours of grub twister jigs I was tossing out. Also, getting some more experience this morning with the bait caster - I failed so hard after switching down from 1/4oz head to 1/8oz. Had to switch back to spinning gear to finish the morning.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Going out for the first time in months tomorrow, hope I catch something with my dong spoon!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Did someone say dong spoon? (Good luck & tight lines!)

:siren:THE DONG EAGLE HAS LANDED:siren:

I've got four silver and four gold to give away. I'll PM those who have expressed interest, but anyone else who'd like one should PM me with address and color preference. They're light (5g) and one of this things made it to Australia without issue, so I'll send it where ever you want. Please post pics of fish caught on dong spoons.

Also, AliExpress is about to have a sale on 3/28 - 3/29. This would be an excellent time to get a Kuying rod if that's something you've ever had a passive interest in. Many sellers on AE use sales as an excuse to inflate prices in order to make their discounts seem better, but Kuying is a legit business and they don't do that. I'm probably going to get a salmon rod, but I need to do more research.

UPDATE: I believe that all who have claimed one presently have one on the way. If I have not contacted you, please PM me. 3 silver, 1 gold left to give for anyone interested.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 28, 2018

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I took the dick lure out yesterday but didn't catch anything on it, I'm trying again today.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Three weeks out from my surgery, I got outside for a little while and caught my first fish of 2018. It's the smallest largemouth I've ever hooked:

on a Daiwa Expert LT tenkara rod and a basic san juan worm tied with some pink shiny ribbon. The temps up here in Michigan are just getting into the 40s.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 30, 2018

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I lost my dick lure letting it troll behind my kayak, didn’t even see the rod move at all :(

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

a foolish pianist posted:

Three weeks out from my surgery, I got outside for a little while and caught my first fish of 2018. It's the smallest largemouth I've ever hooked:

on a Daiwa Expert LT tenkara rod and a basic san juan worm tied with some pink shiny ribbon. The temps up here in Michigan are just getting into the 40s.

I haven't been out much due to new home adventures, but that reminded me of a little guy (looks kind of like a bass?) I pulled in a few weeks ago. Separately I also got a nice trout but it slipped away before I could take a pic.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Selious posted:

I haven't been out much due to new home adventures, but that reminded me of a little guy (looks kind of like a bass?) I pulled in a few weeks ago. Separately I also got a nice trout but it slipped away before I could take a pic.

This kind of looks like a shad to me, but I am in no way confident about that. Where are you fishing?

I'm going to try to rip trout out of the local lake this weekend. I crave smoked trout in the worst way. :bustem:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

This kind of looks like a shad to me, but I am in no way confident about that. Where are you fishing?

I'm going to try to rip trout out of the local lake this weekend. I crave smoked trout in the worst way. :bustem:

City lakes in southern AZ, generally we have mostly channel catfish, rainbow trout and a sprinkling of other random panfish. Full list of what they think we have is here: https://www.azgfd.com/Fishing/Species/