Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Serious question. For what possible reason would someone want/need to connect a thumb drive to a cell phone?

Endless Mike posted:

look there's only so much anime and comics you can store on a phone, but this 1 TB drive i got at best buy will let me carry even more with me everywhere i go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

a huwaei phone I had once had its stock flashlight app connect to the internet for unknown reasons.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Celexi posted:

a huwaei phone I had once had its stock flashlight app connect to the internet for unknown reasons.

it's connecting to google though, not anything owned by huawei

that ipv6 netblock is owned by google ireland

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Oh yeah I know but it wasn't comforting still as it could be fetching something from my google account to then export to china

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

not convinced trusting google more than china is the right path

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i was walking through a working class neighborhood of nyc yesterday and i saw a handmade ad nailed to a telephone pole for "android tv boxes" that strongly implied they would come pre-configured for pirate streams

the android brand is closely associated with 1. pirate tv and 2. mystery poo poo from china

that's my android story i hope you liked it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
these sell like hotcakes in the ethnic neighbourhoods around here because they come pre-configured for content streams from <country of origin>

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Perplx posted:

if you have a better way to get music than downloading bittorrents off the piratebay on my phone and manually tagging each file I'd like to hear it

gently caress. owned.

:(

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i was walking through a working class neighborhood of nyc yesterday and i saw a handmade ad nailed to a telephone pole for "android tv boxes" that strongly implied they would come pre-configured for pirate streams

the android brand is closely associated with 1. pirate tv and 2. mystery poo poo from china

my brother came over the other day with his new sarnsung tablet so i could put terrarium on it

i'm that guy :negative:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a client of mine is selling a brand new pixel 2 for about $350 below retail, i'm tempted to grab it, but i don't know why

the camera is miles ahead of the potato-with-a-lens my iphone se has, but everything else is pretty much a wash, with the bonus of me getting angry about android

i'm reasonably sure i'd just be spending several hundred dollars to remind myself why i bought an iphone

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Boiled Water posted:

idiot nerd reasons and only that

possibly it’s for the two people who use their anroid phones as desktop replacements

at best i was at a research conference and they gave out thumb drives with papers and materials for every talk, as well as online. the rush to wifi to beat everyone for access was insane because being an international conference it was about 10gb of videos and pdfs. the only time a crappy windows tablet and a usb adapter was worth the effort ever and even then it was like ehh i guess ill do this so i can preview the day

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

infernal machines posted:

a client of mine is selling a brand new pixel 2 for about $350 below retail, i'm tempted to grab it, but i don't know why

the camera is miles ahead of the potato-with-a-lens my iphone se has, but everything else is pretty much a wash, with the bonus of me getting angry about android

i'm reasonably sure i'd just be spending several hundred dollars to remind myself why i bought an iphone

use that fun money for a nice semi-older digital camera like some mirrorless sony or w/e, unless you are in it for the masochistic bit

and yeah, of course you would

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

spending $350 on a digital camera in 2018 lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a friend of mine got one of those last year. they are only useful if your time is completely worthless, so it fits into the android ecosystem well

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bulgakov posted:

use that fun money for a nice semi-older digital camera like some mirrorless sony or w/e, unless you are in it for the masochistic bit

and yeah, of course you would

yeah, this makes more sense, except i'm not the sort to strap up with a camera before going out for a stroll.

at the same time, i'm not going to pay $600 to hit my balls with a hammer either

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Serious question. For what possible reason would someone want/need to connect a thumb drive to a cell phone?

its cute you think its a thumb drive and not an honest to god 3tb spinning hard drive in a usb enclosure

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

facebook scraped all communication history from android phones with the app installed, for years

no need to worry about huawei, your poo poo was owned ages ago

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hahahahaha

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's kind of impressive just how poo poo facebook is about literally everything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

their entire business model, much like google's, is to monetize everything possible about their users. of course they do this poo poo

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
this probably explains all those "facebook is listening to your microphone" rumours from a year ago

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fwiw i checked my own data right after i saw that tweet & they basically only gave me a bunch of badly organized files containing the stuff i uploaded myself (photos/statuses/in-app messages). i never used android but for a while a couple years ago i probably had the facebook app running in the background

actually... my being tagged in an image, that is a data point. i should get a list of the images or something at least when i do a GDPR request. ill have to check up on that in a couple weeks

itd be pretty neat to get a decades worth of photos of myself without having to go rightclicking a bunch

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Krankenstyle posted:

itd be pretty neat to get a decades worth of photos of myself without having to go rightclicking a bunch

pretty sure you can just google clown pictures op.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

President Beep posted:

yea but its funnier when im the clown

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lol if you use facebook and lol if you don't tell people don't fuckin tag you in pictures

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i agree. obviously i have retroactively inistituted "that rule" & so nobody tags me in photos anymore.

feel pretty good about my exposure too because basically all i do officially online is random & retarded and i am too poor to buy anything anyway.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

feel pretty good about my exposure too because basically all i do officially online is random & retarded and i am too poor to buy anything anyway.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wait so what are people accomplishing by not being explicitly tagged in photos? is this a privacy from other Facebook users thing? cause I doubt it’s privacy from Facebook itself

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you don't use Facebook and aren't tagged in photos it is the best you can do for privacy from Facebook itself outside of them harvesting contact lists yes

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I bet they shadow tag photos on the backend anyway.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

~Coxy posted:

I bet they shadow tag photos on the backend anyway.

of course they do. they also have facial recognition running on all their photos. if you’ve been tagged in some, they identify you in others without explicit tagging.

among other fun things they do is sending any text you type to the server, even if you never hit the post button. also grabbing the contents of your paste buffer anytime you enter the app,

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Blue Train posted:

If you don't use Facebook and aren't tagged in photos it is the best you can do for privacy from Facebook itself outside of them harvesting contact lists yes

you also need to block all the social/sharing buttons on every website

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

The Management posted:

also grabbing the contents of your paste buffer anytime you enter the app

lol. holy gently caress.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I downloaded the zip and went through it, contents didn't seem overly creepy and contained a number of inaccuracies. this probably just means the zip file isn't the complete amount of information they've got on me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's almost like the android all-or-nothing permissions model is lovely and is designed specifically to allow this kind of behavior and facebook is certainly not the only company taking advantage of it

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

President Beep posted:

Krankenstyle posted:

yea but its funnier when im the clown

so turn your monitor off

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

it's almost like the android all-or-nothing permissions model is lovely and is designed specifically to allow this kind of behavior and facebook is certainly not the only company taking advantage of it

google’s business model is to suck up all of the data and to have others pay them as gatekeepers for access based on that data. but they already have low level access to scrape all your data, they don’t depend on the android permission system for that.

the android permission system is so terrible and broken that it is allowing google’s competition (like facebook) to steal all that data that google wants for itself. it is literally such garbage that it is hurting google’s business and yet they can’t fix it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i'm curious if this started as "just upload everything we have permission for we can filter out what we need in the cloud and storage may as well be free"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Maximum Leader posted:

I downloaded the zip and went through it, contents didn't seem overly creepy and contained a number of inaccuracies. this probably just means the zip file isn't the complete amount of information they've got on me.

the zip does not include any data which was not directly collected by Facebook from you. the omitted info is allegedly made up of additional data scraped from the internet and purchased from commercial data brokers. it is supposedly extremely detailed and very accurate.

so the zip might indicate the wrong address for you or a friend but the full profile they actually use for targeting will have the right one thanks to the voter registration records they purchase regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

i'm curious if this started as "just upload everything we have permission for we can filter out what we need in the cloud and storage may as well be free"

why wouldn’t they take any data they can? they are a data-driven advertising company just like google. and in some ways they have better data than google so they can do more with it. if they can see your phone logs and they know who those phone numbers belong to, it deepens their relationship graph. they can correlate your location and your IP address with someone else, they know you’ve been spending time at their house or business. if you have someone’s email address in your paste buffer, that’s a link they wouldn’t have had previously.