Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wth is a yimby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

FCKGW posted:

wth is a yimby?

It stands for Yes In By Back Yard, and is a word for someone who is pro-local development.

This acronym is in contrast to a NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) which is someone who thinks "sure, we should build more housing / a powerplant / etc, just not where I live"

See also DINK, HENRY, Yuppie

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If YIMBY just means “pro-development” then there are certainly a bunch of libertarian YIMBYs.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Trabisnikof posted:

If YIMBY just means “pro-development” then there are certainly a bunch of libertarian YIMBYs.

Well, it generally means that but it’s also the name for an organized pro-housing voting constituency (in their own words) that puts out voter guides and has officials and stuff. https://yimbyaction.org

So there can be some confusion when people use the word, because there can be libertarian YIMBYs, but the YIMBY org generally isn’t libertarian.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If NIBMY is bad then shouldn’t YIMBY be good then?

Just confused why it’s being used in the negative here.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Because there is disagreement about a bill the organization supports. Some argue it would be good for housing because it reduces regulations others are arguing it will hurt housing by allowing rich communities to opt-out easily while only increasing development of luxury housing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Trabisnikof posted:

There are, but I think most YIMBYs in places like coastal California are more center-left.

FCKGW posted:

It's complicated. The archetypical NIMBY is an old (white) landowner who wants to live in a sprawly suburban neighborhood untouched by transit, bikes, or the dreaded poors.

But there are also people on the far left who are renters and are totally okay with transit, bikes and poors, and who oppose development because it's done by private developers for-profit, and often times where they build they must first tear down existing housing, which means existing residents get kicked out. They also believe replacing existing structures with new, "luxury"* housing causes gentrification/prices to go up. This type of person would be fine with dense, urbanist development if it was done by the government or non-profits.

* There is some debate over what "luxury apartments/condos" actually means, because in practice many developers/landlords seem to slap the word "luxury" on anything new just as a marketing tactic.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cicero posted:

* There is some debate over what "luxury apartments/condos" actually means, because in practice many developers/landlords seem to slap the word "luxury" on anything new just as a marketing tactic.
It's pretty much like the Italian Themed devs in Downtown L.A.
If your 600 unit apartment Megacity has Concierge Services, a Gym/Pilates Studio, Heated Pool, Dog Park, Private Screening Area, Rooftop Open Air Wine Lounge etc, it's a luxe development.

Basically it's a complex that sounds like a dorm setup so the residents don't actually have to interact with the surrounding community outside of the rarified air of their Preferred Areas.

It's different from a returned apartment block with a crappy pool and a steel gate to keep the weirdos out. Luxe Devs sell the place as part of a lifestyle choice.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ferry service in the SF Bay to this day is still limited by the environmental damaged caused by hydraulic mining in the 1860s. They filled in the bay with debris. That’s basically the reason why we can’t have a Redwood City ferry terminal, for example.

Fewer ferries means less commuter capacity and thus more expensive housing.

We’ve barely come to terms with how much historical harm we’re still dealing with across the state.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

It's pretty much like the Italian Themed devs in Downtown L.A.
If your 600 unit apartment Megacity has Concierge Services, a Gym/Pilates Studio, Heated Pool, Dog Park, Private Screening Area, Rooftop Open Air Wine Lounge etc, it's a luxe development.

Basically it's a complex that sounds like a dorm setup so the residents don't actually have to interact with the surrounding community outside of the rarified air of their Preferred Areas.

It's different from a returned apartment block with a crappy pool and a steel gate to keep the weirdos out. Luxe Devs sell the place as part of a lifestyle choice.

Bay peninsula, Luxury is something built after 1938 which actually has hot water available for more than 15 minutes every morning. :v:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Can someone show me one of these new dorm arcologies? A Zillow link or something?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

here's the website for one of them

https://www.themedici.com/

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Grand Prize Winner posted:

which one was the one that got torched during construction, that ruled

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'm the luxury apartment with self rimming sinks, wall to wall carpet, and vertical blinds.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

a sink that gives itself rimjobs?

stone cold posted:

which one was the one that got torched during construction, that ruled

this one, and yeah that was pretty rad

https://www.thedavinciapts.com/

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I see medium density with communal amenities. A "doorman" seems a little out of place for LA, but maybe they're shooting for NYC transplants. Came to hate it, don't really hate it.

I grew up poor af and one of the few advantages was the apartment complex we lived in. It wasn't luxury like this one, but it had communal amenities and there were always kids to play with and at least one adult we could get to supervise. It was a community and one I benefitted from greatly in my single parent, latchkey kid situation.

So maybe the bougies who buy into luxury will avoid common areas, but in general, I'd love to see more apartment complexes like this. Beats the gently caress out of single family homes or townhouses.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ron Jeremy posted:

it had communal amenities and there were always kids to play with and at least one adult we could get to supervise.

So maybe the bougies who buy into luxury will avoid common areas, but in general, I'd love to see more apartment complexes like this. Beats the gently caress out of single family homes or townhouses.
:lol: :laffo:
Dude, you think a community like that will tolerate kids unsupervised in the commons? Much less provide a kind and patient stranger to watch while they cavort?
There's one development in that group that has a kids play area. The rest are geared towards young career minded folks that want to be close enough to the hip parts of town without having to take the metro or live next to a bunch of Mexicans or (ugh) walk around the neighborhood.

I'd love to see more complexes of that density, with reasonable amenities (exercise, pool, study area) that were in line with what the local community can afford.

Also those building are slumlordy as hell, will steal the deposit, and some are infested with rats. Luxury at its finest

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Yeah I'm not saying this particular complex is that, but that these settings *can be* the communitarian answer to the alienation of American suburbanization. I also agree that it'd be better if they were in line with what the community could afford as opposed to chasing the luxury dollar. It feels quite a bit like it's cheap with a facade of luxury: drywall, laminate, granite counter tops.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

It feels quite a bit like it's cheap with a facade of luxury: drywall, laminate, granite counter tops.
I used to scoff at laminate, but I am completely sold now. It doesn't get as gross as wall to wall carpet, it isn't hard enough to break every dish you drop like tile, and it doesn't scratch like hard wood.

But yeah... I guess many rentals try to pass just not quite the cheapest finish surfaces money can buy as luxury.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

It feels quite a bit like it's cheap with a facade of luxury: drywall, laminate, granite counter tops.

Drywall? Is there something better that the non poors use?

Also laminate is awesome.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm guessing that it's not that drywall, laminate, and granite counter tops are poor, but rather they're relatively cheap good things you can add to a building to make it seem luxury.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm guessing that it's not that drywall, laminate, and granite counter tops are poor, but rather they're relatively cheap good things you can add to a building to make it seem luxury.

What is there that's cheaper than drywall? I thought that was basically the bare minimum now. It's even cheaper than cinderblocks.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yes this is what I was trying imply.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sundae posted:

What is there that's cheaper than drywall? I thought that was basically the bare minimum now. It's even cheaper than cinderblocks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Completely getting rid of Prop 13 is a bad idea. We had this discussion before and old folks who lived in the neighborhood for 40 years will lose their houses, which is a) legit tragic and b) exactly the kind of story that our economically right-wing media will jump on, thus furthering the bullshit narrative that repealing tax cuts is a bad idea.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I just got a notice that my rent will go up in June, like it does every year, by 5%. I'm fortunate that I'm way below market right now and I can still afford the new rate, but I suddenly noticed the obvious disconnect between people worrying about property tax increases causing people to lose their homes and the relative silence about how landlords can jack up rent to the same end, with impunity.

Also, my landlords are wacko and always send stuff like this via registered mail for like $6. Maybe stop spending so much on postage and my rate wouldn't have to go up! (Also, fix the sprinklers' water leak I told you about a decade ago.)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Completely getting rid of Prop 13 is a bad idea. We had this discussion before and old folks who lived in the neighborhood for 40 years will lose their houses, which is a) legit tragic and b) exactly the kind of story that our economically right-wing media will jump on, thus furthering the bullshit narrative that repealing tax cuts is a bad idea.

that’s a howard jarvis taxpayer association tier lie tho

the biggest beneficiaries on the residential side of the prop 13 equation are rich dirtbags in really nice coastal cities (malibu, etc.)

now don’t lie to me and start crying about poor old people in malibu of all places

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

We had this discussion before and old folks who lived in the neighborhood for 40 years will lose their houses
Couldn't you just put a lein on the property instead of litterally kicking people out of their homes?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Y'all could just have a homestead exclusion on primary residences when it comes to property tax, but that would go against the general CA model of fixing problems in the most complicated way possible.

Or as one of the super liberal guys I eat lunch with said when I told him about PA's homestead exclusions, "But what about all my rental properties? My taxes would go up on those!"

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

State-wide rent control

there i said it

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

You could just have a much narrower version of it that applied to only long-term primary residences where the increased property tax would be a burden on the owner's income. That would eliminate most of its usage while preserving the most reasonable/beneficial part.

Orrrrr, you could let people freeze their home valuation for the purpose of property taxes, with the condition that the state gets right of first refusal at that price when the owner wants to sell. I really like this idea because it separates the two perspectives/uses of a home, you can treat your house as a home OR an investment property, but not both at the same time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

stone cold posted:

that’s a howard jarvis taxpayer association tier lie tho

the biggest beneficiaries on the residential side of the prop 13 equation are rich dirtbags in really nice coastal cities (malibu, etc.)

now don’t lie to me and start crying about poor old people in malibu of all places

I actually know a couple of people in Mission Viejo who would lose their house if Prop 13 was repealed. One of them has Alzheimer's. So either I'm deep cover anti-Prop 13 or, you know, I think it would honestly hurt vulnerable people.

Parts of Prop 13 are necessary because CA's housing prices are too volatile. Please note that commercial real-estate people and landlords can suck it (and I used to be one), I don't care about them at all.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
How about we take the baby step that other civilized places have made where you have an exclusion for elderly homeowners on their primary residence, but nothing for other properties, commercial, rentals, etc etc?

Alternatively, I'm all game for making the elderly sell their houses that they can no longer afford. But I'm an rear end in a top hat and that's probably not the best approach either.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Prop 13 only helps the elderly that also currently hold real estate wealth but takes away from services for all elderly and needy communities by reducing the tax base.

So it all comes down to if you favor the haves or the have-nots when subsidizing their needs.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Prop 13 is never going anywhere, even after the last boomer draws their last breath. I’m set to inherit a dinky two bedroom ranch home in Menlo Park worth nearly a million dollars and so are many of my friends. We need that equity for when we get screwed out of social security.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

Prop 13 only helps the elderly that also currently hold real estate wealth but takes away from services for all elderly and needy communities by reducing the tax base.

So it all comes down to if you favor the haves or the have-nots when subsidizing their needs.

look we should only care for the elderly who were smart and rich enough to side with the howard jarvis tax payer association back in their youth in the seventies

sorry, havenot olds, you’re far less important than the geriatric rich

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Won’t Somebody Think Of The Boomer Libs???????

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

i spit at this place (in spirit) whenever i drive past its ugly rear end. hot gently caress its ugly and huge. out of place and tacky and dumb. always looks empty too. theres this one, the orsini, and like the medicinicinni or some bull poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im watvhing this gubernatorial debate and its pretty funny. delaine eastin is owning which is cool i think. is she good? she seems cool. idk.

e: thjese guys are all making GBS threads on the super train, which is pissing me off. is the super train retarded? yes. will the super train ever get built? no, of course not. is the super train a huge pork boondoggle? absolutely. did i vote for the super train? oh yes. do i support the super train? yes, emphatically. one day i will ride the super train, at over 2000 mph from LA, to SF, and then all the way to the moon base. mark my words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
you will ride the super train from Merced to Fresno and you will like it