Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

3 bucks seems like a very reasonable price for dlc in this day and age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Bought both, will confirm the music is gorgeous (a combination of upbeat electronic music and moody guitar pieces, they add a really different feel to the game) and the new minor factions are pretty nice.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Got the Untold Tales pack. The game was nice enough to spawn four of the new Minor Factions quite close to my homeworld, so I was able to assuage my curiosity early on! If you enjoy getting the most out of population placement, you'll like the new Minors.
I've also seen one of the new heroes and one of the new quests, wherein my Nris population was complaining about the lack of convenient bathrooms for octopoids. My sentient tree-people had to upgrade a couple of systems to accomodate them. It was a very ES2 sort of moment...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought both because I like the game

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's a little sad that both Sowers and Harmony have been confirmed as minor factions now.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So uhh does Endless Space still have game-breaking lockup bugs? I’m abt 232 turns into a game and it can’t get past that turn, the game dies every time.

Hell of a way to remember why I put this game down a year ago

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Clarste posted:

It's a little sad that both Sowers and Harmony have been confirmed as minor factions now.
The Harmony seems a little weird as a minor faction, the last game played up them being a big threat. Sowers I can make sense of at least.

My poor Sowers :(

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I just realized I had Endless Legend in my steam library and I'm actually really digging the aesthetic and gameplay from the tutorial. Also it's really cool there's a story for each faction. I want to rock the Cultists but I hear their gameplay isn't the same as the others in terms of strategy or something. Any tips?

Also I picked up endless space 2 so I'll be having questions about that I'm sure.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 18, 2018

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So I just realized I had Endless Legend in my steam library and I'm actually really digging the aesthetic and gameplay from the tutorial. Also it's really cool there's a story for each faction. I want to rock the Cultists but I hear their gameplay isn't the same as the others in terms of strategy or something. Any tips?

They can't build additional cities, instead they go around to all the little Minor Faction villages and Convert them, adding more population/resource generation to their capitol. They're pretty fun and depending on your playstyle you might find them easier to grasp, but generally people recommend Wild Walkers, Drakken, or Vaulters if you're new to the game.

Wild Walkers because they're the most generic/least gimmicky and have a ton of Industry and strong ranged military units so it's hard to fail with them. Vaulters can use Strategic Resources (Titanium/Hyperium/etc.) as if they were Luxuries to gain bonuses and can teleport units from city to city, but are otherwise pretty standard mechanically. Drakken are also pretty vanilla aside from being able to impose diplomatic relations with other factions, so if you're in a war(s) you can't handle, you can force a truce to protect yourself.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea cultists are definitely Game-2 material, trying to hash yourself around a dozen mechanics is hard enough, it seems easy to screw up early game conversion if you have no idea what you're doing.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Sooooo I'd been playing Stellaris on and off for a while and just could not get into it. It's well done, but I just felt like non-stop micromanaging and wasn't very engaging. I'd read ES2 was really good, and I wanted to have a turn-based space game to play so I picked it up.

Ho. Ly. poo poo. "Just one more turn..." indeed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Also I picked up endless space 2 so I'll be having questions about that I'm sure.
I had a terrible time with the learning curve but once I started playing with the Wild Walkers, took my time, and lowered my expectations (in terms of having immediate success) I got along a lot better. :justpost: when it comes to questions.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Sooooo I'd been playing Stellaris on and off for a while and just could not get into it. It's well done, but I just felt like non-stop micromanaging and wasn't very engaging. I'd read ES2 was really good, and I wanted to have a turn-based space game to play so I picked it up.

Ho. Ly. poo poo. "Just one more turn..." indeed.
I had the same experience. Though the recent changes to Stellaris made it a ton of fun, which are words I never thought I would see myself type.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I got stellaris last month and wasn't impressed. I became unstoppable almost instantly but couldn't do anything to my neighbours because they all federated against me, even a good war required a lot of replacements, was super micro management heavy despite the game's scale and didn't have a goal. It seems more like work than fun.

Endless legend wss my 4x sweet spot

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Basic Chunnel posted:

So uhh does Endless Space still have game-breaking lockup bugs? I’m abt 232 turns into a game and it can’t get past that turn, the game dies every time.

Hell of a way to remember why I put this game down a year ago

I'm taking this as a "yes"

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
Are people playing this in multiplayer, btw? I noticed there are a good few options on time limits for turns.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm taking this as a "yes"

They patched a lot of those bugs but I couldn't say for your specific game issue.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
i started a new game as vaulters and they are extremely my poo poo. the ark can move ridiculous distances letting you explore and box in neighbors super quick. a single scout ship will let you snipe an enemy outpost and you can settle the system the same turn. then you rush portals to get your fleets around. also their scout ships have an extra support slot making pirates easy to deal with early on. the slight food penalty hardly seems to offset all that.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Flipswitch posted:

The Harmony seems a little weird as a minor faction, the last game played up them being a big threat. Sowers I can make sense of at least.

My poor Sowers :(

Well ES2 is more of a soft reboot than a sequel

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SirKibbles posted:

Well ES2 is more of a soft reboot than a sequel

It's absolutely a sequel. To Endless Legend.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Slaan posted:

I got stellaris last month and wasn't impressed. I became unstoppable almost instantly but couldn't do anything to my neighbours because they all federated against me, even a good war required a lot of replacements, was super micro management heavy despite the game's scale and didn't have a goal. It seems more like work than fun.

Endless legend wss my 4x sweet spot

That's kind of how I felt about Stellaris. Too much micromanagement just killed it for me. I enjoy playing Crusader Kings, which is SUPER fiddly and opaque at times, but for whatever reason Stellaris just didn't click. I had played it before the big update and felt pretty much the same.

ES2, though - I'm thinking about my next move while I'm at work.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

a mysterious cloak posted:

That's kind of how I felt about Stellaris. Too much micromanagement just killed it for me. I enjoy playing Crusader Kings, which is SUPER fiddly and opaque at times, but for whatever reason Stellaris just didn't click. I had played it before the big update and felt pretty much the same.

yeah the update improved a lot of things but the tile development/starbase micro is as bad as always (the UI has been improved since the last time I played it, which makes it a little bit better but not much). it's actually worse in some ways because you can develop tiles on planets in sectors now, but not through the outliner

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Warmachine posted:

It's absolutely a sequel. To Endless Legend.

Fair enough

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Played a little bit last night. Discovered my first new society, amoebas! Gooey bastards promptly started attacking my ship and managed to blow it up because I'm bad at outfitting ships.

Tonight we go to war.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Pleasantly surprised to see the patch more or less fixed the really outstanding problems with ship customization that made combat a complete joke once you got the right techs. I'm only at mid-game with a fresh Riftborn save, but it looks promising. I sort of wish I'd knocked out more achievements now that games will take effort, but I might not just quit on turn 100 or whatever because I've basically already won and the next two hundred turns or so are clean-up.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

Pleasantly surprised to see the patch more or less fixed the really outstanding problems with ship customization that made combat a complete joke once you got the right techs. I'm only at mid-game with a fresh Riftborn save, but it looks promising. I sort of wish I'd knocked out more achievements now that games will take effort, but I might not just quit on turn 100 or whatever because I've basically already won and the next two hundred turns or so are clean-up.

I just fired it up the other day to try out Vaulters for the first time, and it feels much more nuanced now. My game has devolved into a Great Galactic War where two alliances are at war over the core of the galaxy, and there are 3+ battles taking place every turn. I'm very low on manpower right now because there has been so much fighting.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Warmachine posted:

I just fired it up the other day to try out Vaulters for the first time, and it feels much more nuanced now. My game has devolved into a Great Galactic War where two alliances are at war over the core of the galaxy, and there are 3+ battles taking place every turn. I'm very low on manpower right now because there has been so much fighting.

Yeah, playing as Vaulters in the Great Galactic War is always really fun- teleporting your death fleet from system to system as the enemies close in...

Incidentally, what are the best galaxy generation settings for really big, really nasty wars? Is it better to under-populate the galaxy to make the ai stronger, or really crowd it to kick off tensions early......?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Giving a crappy system near your core worlds to allied Vaulters is awesome because now you too can criss-cross the galaxy in a handful of turns; just be ready for when they pick the wrong side of the Academy finale, cause if you declare war to contest lodestones your homeworld will suddenly be on the front lines

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GGW2 just started.

It didn't go well the last time so I'm trying to figure out why they think it is smart. Horatio and I alone have a combined score greater than their entire alliance. Maybe they're hoping my fight against the Cravers and Vodyani keeps me out of the war?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Also, can someone shed some light on how the AI decides what a worthwhile trade is? I just traded 15 Adamantium for 200 Antimatter, which seems... really favorable to me. Horatio had something like 900 of it stockpiled, but very little Adam, so maybe that helps?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, they probably needed it for their ships but didn't need Antimatter so for them it was a 'steal'. I abuse this a lot as a form of bribe to get the AI to treaty with me.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
With the minor factions DLC, Sower pops actually provide -1 Depletion points, which is pretty cool if your Cravers run into them early enough to make a difference. Abandoned Endless experiment buddies!

Hilariously though, you can make a custom faction with the Craver trait (150% FIDS on planet, +1 Depletion points) and the -1 Depletion points trait from the Sowers, and they stack. Of course you'll want to change the pop bonus, because +1% weapon damage on Fleet per Depleted planet on Empire etc. won't do you a lot of good if you don't Deplete planets anymore, but that's not really a downside.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

With the minor factions DLC, Sower pops actually provide -1 Depletion points, which is pretty cool if your Cravers run into them early enough to make a difference. Abandoned Endless experiment buddies!

Hilariously though, you can make a custom faction with the Craver trait (150% FIDS on planet, +1 Depletion points) and the -1 Depletion points trait from the Sowers, and they stack. Of course you'll want to change the pop bonus, because +1% weapon damage on Fleet per Depleted planet on Empire etc. won't do you a lot of good if you don't Deplete planets anymore, but that's not really a downside.

Shame no Sowers spawned in my galaxy. I could use them to fix up the Craver planets I conquered.

I'm not sure if I should terraform my industrial system to get more mans in it. It's currently 1 Jungle, 2 Lava, 1 Ash, and 1 Warm Gas. I don't know if the increase in population will sufficiently counter the loss in base industry. Approval isn't an issue because Alliances and Peace treaties with a Pacifist party in government makes it stupid easy to get ridiculous amounts of approval.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I don't have the numbers to hand right now but I seem to recall that if the fidsi changes are fairly small it's almost always worth having more mans, even before you take system improvements into account.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I played Endless Space 2 a bit at release and was kind of underwhelmed. Coming from Endless Legend, the factions felt very samey and the combat felt like a lot of ship customization for battles that virtually always came down to highest number going in.

Have the patches/dlc improved this?

Also, I miss playing EL multiplayer with this thread. Would anyone be interested in getting that started again, or alternately, ES2?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'd be down for either. Only on sun/mon tho, as those are my days off.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Avasculous posted:

I played Endless Space 2 a bit at release and was kind of underwhelmed. Coming from Endless Legend, the factions felt very samey and the combat felt like a lot of ship customization for battles that virtually always came down to highest number going in.

Have the patches/dlc improved this?

There's been a lot of work on the combat system. It remains very flawed--frequently refitting your fleet to counter your opponents' designs is far too important a part of the game--but it's better than it was and much less about building the one correct design and then winning the numbers game. I'm surprised that you found the factions samey, though. The Vodyani felt like as much of a variation from standard gameplay as the Cultists did in EL, and a number of the others had their fair share of unique mechanics. The Vaulters are apparently less conventional than many of the non-DLC factions, but I doubt they'll seem too different to you if the Riftborn or Unfallen didn't.

I too would be up for some EL multiplayer. Any time on Sundays would work well, and Monday evenings (Eastern time) are also possible.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

HundredBears posted:

There's been a lot of work on the combat system. It remains very flawed--frequently refitting your fleet to counter your opponents' designs is far too important a part of the game--but it's better than it was and much less about building the one correct design and then winning the numbers game. I'm surprised that you found the factions samey, though. The Vodyani felt like as much of a variation from standard gameplay as the Cultists did in EL, and a number of the others had their fair share of unique mechanics. The Vaulters are apparently less conventional than many of the non-DLC factions, but I doubt they'll seem too different to you if the Riftborn or Unfallen didn't.

Yeah the factions have strategic map differences, certainly, probably the Vodyani most of all.

EL factions had some big distinguishing things though that I remember feeling were conspicuously absent from ES2 on release:
-Different unit rosters. This is the biggest one: every EL faction had unique units that moved differently, attacked differently, and had unique abilities. Minor factions too: supplementing your army with the right minor faction units was a big consideration in assimilating them. My recollection of ES2 unit rosters is that they only differ by cost, stats, and slightly different numbers of attack/defense/utility slots available. Not even having faction-specific Strategic cards seemed like a big missed opportunity.

-Faction quests. EL factions had 8-10 (?) step questlines that unlocked powerful, unique Heroes/Equipment/Buildings/Techs and had a huge impact on the game. ES2 faction questlines were half as long, trivially quick/easy for a couple of factions, and mostly gave you useful but unexciting, passive bonuses.

-Heroes. This is fuzzier for me. ES2 heroes I think functioned almost identically for every faction in combat (even looked identical), and were almost always better off governing to max level?

I didn't think ES2 was bad, I just felt kind of underwhelmed and surprised that it came after EL, which seemed to have more going on in a lot of ways.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I think the core thing missing and that possibly can’t be helped in a space-based 4X is the map. Essentially going from point to point always felt totally shite to me, with severely limited strategic and exploration options, compared to the dynamic map of a land-based 4X, especially one as busy as EL+expansions turned out to be.

In the lead-up to release they claimed that your population would take up the personality in the absence of Auriga, but it felt much more to me like elections and politics were basically just a slightly more complicated version of of EL’s empire plans.

I still think there’s plenty of room to completely rethink space 4X. ES2 is pretty conventional if you ask me.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 1, 2018

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
i like ES2 and would like to play it in multiplayer. i also have EL, but it has so few space ships. that being said, i'm also probably all-around mediocre at video games, so there is that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

double riveting posted:

i like ES2 and would like to play it in multiplayer. i also have EL, but it has so few space ships. that being said, i'm also probably all-around mediocre at video games, so there is that.

tbh the one it does have is pretty neat