Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The difference between Teddie and Morgana on that front is that Teddie is probably pansexual. Morgana is merely Annsexual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Oxxidation posted:

He's an incredibly insecure cat cosplaying a ninja who's basically treating Ann like a warrior-princess in a period drama. It's a lot more tolerable than Teddie just hitting on everything that moves.

Except he doesn't treat Makoto, Futaba or Haru like that. Other than calling her "Lady Ann", he doesn't refer to her in any way like a warrior-princess. He just makes comments about how hot she is, and how he wants to date her, and how chivalrous he is in comparison to the other men in her life. And he keeps doing this despite Ann showing no inclination to return his feelings, and that makes him a creep. Sure, he's better than Teddie, but EVERYONE is better than Teddie.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
In the Japanese dub, when they're asking what call-name she should have Ann suggests the English word "Panther", prompting Ryuji to ask what it means, and she replies "hyou" (豹), meaning, well, "panther". This makes Morgana pipe up with "mehyou" (女豹) literally meaning female panther, which seems to carry some connotation she reacts to which I'm not nearly well versed enough in Japanese to know, but I can sort of guess after googling image searching 女豹. Maybe "cougar" in English carries the same connotation, I don't know, I'm just a dumb Norwegian :v:

Note: this may or may not be a NSFW google search.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

AG3 posted:

I left this google search with more questions than answers

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I left this google search with more questions than answers

That's why I'm still only guessing what it could mean.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

AG3 posted:

That's why I'm still only guessing what it could mean.

Oh no, this wasn't a knock on the translation, from the image search I can see generally what you mean, it was more of a comment on this very odd fetish(?) thing and wondering why a word exists for this and how there's a market for it

I should not seek logic in Japanese sex industry but I cannot let go of my sensibilities

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 23, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

AG3 posted:

In the Japanese dub, when they're asking what call-name she should have Ann suggests the English word "Panther", prompting Ryuji to ask what it means, and she replies "hyou" (豹), meaning, well, "panther". This makes Morgana pipe up with "mehyou" (女豹) literally meaning female panther, which seems to carry some connotation she reacts to which I'm not nearly well versed enough in Japanese to know, but I can sort of guess after googling image searching 女豹. Maybe "cougar" in English carries the same connotation, I don't know, I'm just a dumb Norwegian :v:

"Cougar" as english slang mainly refers to older women, as in late 30s+, that are still attractive and also looking for younger guys, which would explain any sort of negative or shocked reaction she had (if there was one, I don't remember that scene very well).

Also yeah, Morgana being completely infatuated with Ann soured me on him a lot.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

IcePhoenix posted:

"Cougar" as english slang mainly refers to older women, as in late 30s+, that are still attractive and also looking for younger guys, which would explain any sort of negative or shocked reaction she had (if there was one, I don't remember that scene very well).

Also yeah, Morgana being completely infatuated with Ann soured me on him a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_6MxC5Rhow&t=620s

Yeah, they go with the Cougar reference instead in English, and yes she does have a negative reaction. To be fair though in this scene all the choices they give you in English when the MC suggests a name are basically equally insulting if not worse, but I wonder what the Japanese choices were.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 23, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I romanced Ann in the hopes I could rub it in Morganas dumb face but the game has dissapointed me on that front so far.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think at most he sighs while leaving you alone with Ann on valentines day or something.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I like Morgana a lot... We just adopted 2 kittens in December and we named one Morgana SORRYYYYYYYYYYYY

TBD if the kitty can turn in to a bus.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oxxidation posted:

He doesn't want to bone Ann, that's a dumb meme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDaZg4oYWnY

I wish it wasn't a thing, but it's definitely a thing. God willing Persona 6 will have a mascot character who doesn't have any sort of sexual attraction to the female party members.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I wish it wasn't a thing, but it's definitely a thing. God willing Persona 6 will have a mascot character who doesn't have any sort of sexual attraction to the female party members.

They can always go the Aigis or Marie route and have it be a girl obsessed with the main character.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dehry posted:

They can always go the Aigis or Marie route and have it be a girl obsessed with the main character.

Aegis was a good approach because I always felt her obsession was less in a romantic way (in the original canon anyways, ignoring the dating her in FES/P3P) and more of a maternal way. The Answer was also a nice way to flesh our her relationship with the MC without him ever being there which was also cool.

Teddie I absolutely hate with all my being, but him hitting on the girls is only a part of it. I'm not gonna say I give him a pass, but he's supposed to be socially stunted considering the party are the first people he's ever met or interacted with, and considering how overtly sexual (almost) every party member's shadow you interact with is, it sort of adds up he would end up a weirdo. It's also worth noting that before he leaves the TV for the first time, he almost never interacts with the party outside of battle. As soon as you rescue Yukiko, she's like "I'm tired" and you all leave and Teddie just stays behind, so at that point he's interacted more with Yukiko's shadow than Yukiko. And Yukiko's shadow trying to score a hot stud and talking about her lacy unmentionables is the least aggressive example, with Shadow Kanji/Rise being even more egregious, so basically half the people he's ever known were half-naked and talking about trying to hook up with someone. Before meeting the party, basically the only thing he knows is other shadows and bear puns. Considering the things he's constantly exposed to, it's no wonder he ended up a sex-obsessed weirdo - he's a product of his environment. But, Teddie's complete social ineptitude is consistent in pretty much everything he does, whereas Mona has a solid enough grasp of history, language, and science that he even gives you answers in class. You can't really pull the same "he just a good boy cat he doesn't know any better" excuse for him, and that's not even counting him being a total dick. Teddie and Yosuke fought, but Teddie never called Yosuke "pathetic."

Mona is so bad that he made me type up a paragraph defending Teddie with my own two hands and for that he cannot be forgiven

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Radioactive Toy posted:

I like Morgana a lot... We just adopted 2 kittens in December and we named one Morgana SORRYYYYYYYYYYYY

TBD if the kitty can turn in to a bus.

Same, our Mona is a good kitty.

I can see why his attraction to Ann puts people off, though I always viewed it more as a childish crush that he just went all-in on than "I want to gently caress this person" myself.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Mona is so bad that he made me type up a paragraph defending Teddie with my own two hands and for that he cannot be forgiven

he really is a criminal

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Most of the Ann moments fell flat to me, but if I hated Morgana for anything it's that he is the face of "LOL SORRY IT'S TIME FOR BED!!!"

Other than that Morgana was a nifty little dude to me.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Mona is a jerk but I already thought cats were jerks so I guess I kind of expected it.

I want to play P3 eventually because there is a dog. I hope the dog is cool.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Mona is a jerk but I already thought cats were jerks so I guess I kind of expected it.

Koromaru is a chill good boy. He also does not talk, and so is spared having an annoying voice actor or cringey lines

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

In Portable, the dog is a social link and is infinitely better than the non-Portable version of the same link.

He is a Good Boy and should always be your best friend.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cinnamon Bear posted:

My cat's not a jerk, I gave her a piece of pepperoni today because she was being a good girl and doing the trick I taught her where she stands on her hind legs and waves her front paws at me and we all had a good time. But Koromaru is great though, not only does he have a social link but you can also take him on walks with other people to boost your link with them too.

e: I have now learned that feeding cats pepperoni is not a good idea - whoops

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 24, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Oh yeah and if you hang out on days when you just get SLink points, but no rank up, he gives you a random item and its pretty much always something useful or that's annoying to get otherwise. Got, uh, arguably too many Lucky Charms from Koromaru really but hey.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Got to the treasure in the third Palace, now I just need to grind out enough cash to last me to the next trip to Mementos - in the second palace I hammered out enough cash to fund my social excursions AND to 100k to buy two SP Adhesives without ever using the Mementos trick, but if I need another 100k just for the fortune teller I'm gonna be hard pressed not to take advantage. Sun 2 to ask for double money is cool, but there's a huge variance in how much you get (risking a free enemy turn to double down on 400 yen isnt worth it), and at this point enemies do enough damage to wipe you if asking for more money fails.

They always give you the same amount on double down, so whatever.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Koromaru can wear a tuxedo.

NachtSieger posted:

Makoto's friend is good. Do not impugne her. :colbert:

She's extremely rude to you and Makoto and I frankly would have been perfectly happy to put her in a wood chipper.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm honestly amazed they pulled the same "navigator becomes combatant, get new navigator" maneuver three games in a row. Switching from Mitsuru to Fuuka was actually the worst thing about Persona3, Rise was my punishment from the Monkey's Paw after wishing that I could get rid of Teddie's voice, but my opinion of Futaba is the highest of the navigators simply because all her lines aren't burned into my brain. That could change by the end of this playthrough though. Also, she's not Mona, so at the very least she's an improvement on that front.

Fuuka's mildly surprised voice actor was annoying, but I liked how she'd switch Tartarus music for you (even if Tartarus' music was fine and not say, Mementos' :suicide:).

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I actually quite liked Futaba (her random stat boosts and occasional blocking of one hit KOs helped me out a lot, and I always level grind with the sound off so I can listen to podcasts and thus never got too annoyed with her voice), but you're right that not being able to date Yusuke or Ryuji is some grade A bullshit.

Let me be gay Atlus. I mean the female protagonist of Persona 3 could hook up with both Elizabeth and Aegis, so why can't any of the dude protagonists kiss dudes?

I can understand Ryuji, there's no real implied attraction, but Yusuke seems like a dude who'd be down for whatever. That said, IIRC Yosuke was supposed to be a gay option. I'd be happy to be able to play as a girl again but considering FeMC doesn't get any appearance these days, my hopes aren't high. :(

Shinjobi posted:

I get more irritated that they play the one reaction sound clip, regardless of how many times in a row you do the same move.

If for some reason you decided to exploit 5 enemies' weaknesses with a single target spell, you will get the exact same message 5 times. Would it have really killed em to record a second line so they could alternate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqM9Bc9E-B8

The weirdest thing is Morgana DOES have two lines, but you only ever hear WHOO. LOOKING COOL JOKER.

One of the strange things is the game files have some navigation lines for all the party members, Persona Q style, but I guess they never decided to let you switch. :shrug:

Oxxidation posted:

Fuuka also has some of the worst most wooden acting in the entire series so yeah, the navigator scene in P3 isn't a pleasant one

She sounds mildly surprised at everything but she's nowhere near as bad as Teddie or Morgana.

Dehry posted:

Aigis and Koromaru were cool, Marie sucked.

Kaza42 posted:

Koromaru is a chill good boy. He also does not talk, and so is spared having an annoying voice actor or cringey lines

He has lines!

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 24, 2018

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
A really dumb oversight is that if you don't get Ryuji to rank 8 before you finish Sae's palace then you are locked out from getting him to rank 10. That shouldn't be a thing for a main party member.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yusuke's probably asexual if I had to guess. The dude's weird enough he'd probably just be really, really into art. And lobsters.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

CJ posted:

A really dumb oversight is that if you don't get Ryuji to rank 8 before you finish Sae's palace then you are locked out from getting him to rank 10. That shouldn't be a thing for a main party member.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but he's the first SLink you get in the game. There really isn't any reason it should take you that long to get him that high in the first place. He doesn't even have any stat requirements, you can just plow right through. I think I maxed him out in, like, early June.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

In my second playthrough I have decided that the reason Haru exists is because they wrote themselves into a hole. After the Hawaii trip basically everyone except Ryuji/Morgana agree that something is weird with how big the Phantom Thieves have gotten and want to slow things down, and also the primary plot points coming up to that point are investigating the men in black suits who killed Wakaba and then clearing their names over the principal's death/suicide. However, I don't think they really had anything planned as a payoff for either of those approaches to the story (especially since Futaba never gets any payoff in the "who killed my mom" scenareo, and if I'm remembering right she never even accuses Goro of being the one who killed her even in the final confrontation despite the fact that it was almost guaranteed him?), and they needed a way to make more gameplay happen before the big twist, so Haru was introduced to kind of force them into action. In the Japanese version, the phrasing used in the change of heart countdown timer is "days until Haru's body is sold" in a way that explicitly meant prostitution as opposed to using the phrase "arranged marriage." Without Haru, it wouldn't have made sense for the team to go after Okumura, since even after learning he has a palace most of the team still didn't want to go, so Haru is made to draw your sympathy (the reason I included the tidbit about the Japanese version) and to draw you away from the two aforementioned plot points they didn't plan on addressing.

My two Haru theories are either that she was originally not meant to be a party member and they decided that they should make her one instead of Hifumi to better fit the theme into the story of helping the people whose Palaces you were exploring, or she was added at a really late stage in development after they realized they needed someone to help move the plot forward and that's why she doesn't ever show up at your school before the Summer Vacation scene.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't think she was a late stage development; they pretty much had to design the story around cutscenes since they were made and paid for early on, and Haru is already present for them.

It's probably just them writing themselves into a corner, and if P5 ever gets a remake they'll likely add more inclusive scenes for her. Kind of like how P3P made Shinjiro a lot more approachable.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Can we all agree Morgana's snowman outfit is the best DLC in the game?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

My two Haru theories are either that she was originally not meant to be a party member and they decided that they should make her one instead of Hifumi to better fit the theme into the story of helping the people whose Palaces you were exploring, or she was added at a really late stage in development after they realized they needed someone to help move the plot forward and that's why she doesn't ever show up at your school before the Summer Vacation scene.
They definitely didn't have that kind of flexibility. If anything, it's more likely that they originally wanted to tell some other story with her, and didn't do it for whatever reason, but were already locked into having her as a party member.

This part is pure speculation, but I suspect there might have been a whole other Palace in between 4 and 5 that got cut.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cuntellectual posted:

I can understand Ryuji, there's no real implied attraction, but Yusuke seems like a dude who'd be down for whatever.

I forget which ranks, but some choices in some of Ryuji's later events gave me some cute close vibes. :shobon:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FractalSandwich posted:

They definitely didn't have that kind of flexibility. If anything, it's more likely that they originally wanted to tell some other story with her, and didn't do it for whatever reason, but were already locked into having her as a party member.

This part is pure speculation, but I suspect there might have been a whole other Palace in between 4 and 5 that got cut.

People said a long time ago that Hifumi was originally going to be a party member, and the wiki says the same thing and that she got cut because the game was already so long so you're probably right. I was guessing it was something more significant because there would have been a lot of ways to sprinkle her into earlier parts of the game that they just fail to take advantage of. Considering how good 90% of the social links are, its amazing they flubbed everything about her up so much.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I haven't heard a specific reason for Hifumi not making it before, and since the wiki doesn't give a source for that claim I'm pretty suspicious of it. I don't think we really know, but given that she doesn't have any concept art for a Phantom Thief outfit or Persona or anything in the art book, I think it's less that she got cut as a party member and more that they just decided not to make her one, from very early on.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 25, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FractalSandwich posted:

I haven't heard a specific reason for Hifumi not making it before, and since the wiki doesn't give a source for that claim I'm pretty suspicious of it. I don't think we really know, but given that she doesn't have any concept art for a Phantom Thief outfit or Persona or anything in the art book, I think it's less that she got cut as a party member and more that they just decided not to make her one, from very early on.

https://personacentral.com/persona-5-hifumi-togo-main-character-other-concepts/

Apparently that was news from the official Persona show thing Atlus had going leading up to release, so that seems like pretty reliable info

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Shinjobi posted:

Can we all agree Morgana's snowman outfit is the best DLC in the game?

all the paid DLC for this game is rear end garbage

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

https://personacentral.com/persona-5-hifumi-togo-main-character-other-concepts/

Apparently that was news from the official Persona show thing Atlus had going leading up to release, so that seems like pretty reliable info
I'm not much less dubious of a translation of a summary of an interview in a different language. I'd 100% believe they said something like "We considered making her a main character, but obviously we could only have so many of those without making the story too long and bloated", though.

I'll look into the Japanese sources some more when it's not past midnight and I'm not dead tired.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Instant Grat posted:

Good thing the christmas stuff is free then :smug:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Instant Grat posted:

Please don't insult Yusuke's DAN galaxy tights.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Instant Grat posted:

incredibly controversial opinion: the P3 battle theme is better than Never See It Coming because the good part of the song is right at the beginning rather than 45 seconds in, and you might never even get to hear the hook of the normal battle theme because battles could easily be over by then.

fact: the Gekkoukan uniforms are much better than the Shujin clownsuits

I would say the P3 DLC is possibly worth it if you're on a second playthrough like me. Otherwise, the rest of the packs either have a cool song but awful outfits or cool outfits but an awful song, or are some broken-rear end Persona. I did spend one dollar on a Makoto PSN theme though.

e: actually, thats another complaint I have. Makoto is way too cool. How is anyone else in the game even supposed to compare? Her Persona is a motorcycle, which is rad, she fights with brass knuckles, which is rad, she has a revolver, which is rad, she takes the MC on a date to see a Yakuza movie, which is rad, and she's the team mom, which is rad. They made Makoto way too cool, it's hosed up.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

BlackFrost posted:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but he's the first SLink you get in the game. There really isn't any reason it should take you that long to get him that high in the first place. He doesn't even have any stat requirements, you can just plow right through. I think I maxed him out in, like, early June.

That's why i said it was an oversight. The context was me watching someone who deliberately didn't get him to 7 until late because of the battle skipping only to find out that rank 8 is locked so he couldn't finish it.

By the way, i was thinking how there isn't a gunslinger party member. It's kind of surprising given how much that archetype is romanticised as a noble outlaw.

quote:

I would say the P3 DLC is possibly worth it if you're on a second playthrough like me. Otherwise, the rest of the packs either have a cool song but awful outfits or cool outfits but an awful song, or are some broken-rear end Persona. I did spend one dollar on a Makoto PSN theme though.

This is wrong. The dancing pack gives you a clown suit for Yusuke and Reach Out to the Truth as the music.

CJ fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 25, 2018