Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
In regards to lists taking GSC ,or something else with hybrid keywords if there are any, to take a 3rd detachment of another army; would limiting non-codex detachments to 1? I haven't played at all to know if there are non-cheesy lists that take advantage of rules like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

One_Wing posted:

My copy of Forgebane has arrived, so I can start sub-assembling the first parts of my exciting new skeleton horde (paints I need are coming with my preorder of the new stuff, so just sub-assembling and black spraying for now).

I am looking at the Canoptek Wraith sprue and slightly wondering what the hell I’ve got myself into. This should be interesting.

I also picked up Forgebane yesterday. The shop owner was telling us that he'd had 28 pre-orders on the thing and he'd bought another 4 in for the shop, and I saw at least 1 of those being sold almost immediately. It's been hugely popular, which gives me hope that they'll continue along the path of doing boxes like this without any bloody Space Marines in.

I haven't had much chance to look through mine yet. The Armigers look cool on the sprue and I'm looking forward to building them. The Necron stuff is going on the backburner for a bit, since I also picked up an Enginseer, a Kataphrons box, and two Dragoons so I can finish off my Ad Mech to a reasonable level and I want to focus on getting those done first so I can start using the drat army. I did pre-order the Necron book for next week though.

On which note: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/25/from-the-dark-city-they-come/

For gently caress sake GW, we had a good run where you were releasing factions I don't play, but between 'crons, DE, and Imperial Knights it's going to be an awkward few weeks.

goodness posted:

In regards to lists taking GSC ,or something else with hybrid keywords if there are any, to take a 3rd detachment of another army; would limiting non-codex detachments to 1? I haven't played at all to know if there are non-cheesy lists that take advantage of rules like that.

I think the problem with this is that GSC specifically allows you to ally Astra Militarum stuff with Tyranids when you normally wouldn't be able to, and you need a minimum of 3 detachments to do it at all. The answer is probably just to drop that when they get to the codex and include everything Guard that you want Nids to be able to take GSC book itself.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Oh jeez. The start collecting box is really laser focused on Wyches.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Really hope they're not replacing the current box, it's not a bad one while this one is... not great with the current rules for Wyches.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
New box is definitely inferior in every respect but maybe GW knows something about Wych Cult that we currently don't.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, just going off index, there's only one source of anti-vehicle in that and it's severely over costed for what it does. Plenty of anti-infantry, between the Venom and the Wyches but only five of them could fit in that, which would leave another five and the boss Wych legging it.

I don't know what they would have done to buff them so much but we'll see, eh.

Edit: Also, the dude with the bare head in that collectors artwork is a pudgy fucker.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Corrode posted:

I think the problem with this is that GSC specifically allows you to ally Astra Militarum stuff with Tyranids when you normally wouldn't be able to, and you need a minimum of 3 detachments to do it at all. The answer is probably just to drop that when they get to the codex and include everything Guard that you want Nids to be able to take GSC book itself.

Yeah, the big issue is that having an IG detachment with your nids lets you exploit their fantastic relics and vehicles (one of said relics allowing you to negate the cost of taking another relic). It also bites into the actual GSC's niche.

Ideally GSC should have access to things you'd expect a low-ranking IG insurgency to have; sentinels, maybe a leman russ, certainly not shadowswords and prestigious artifacts.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Sounds like it's mandated by the army rules - if they mean what I think they mean when they say:

quote:

"Codex: Drukhari isn’t just your guide to one army, it’s your guide to three, featuring in-depth rules for the Kabals, Haemonculus Covens and Wych Cults that inhabit Commorragh."
you'll have to have a pure Wych detachment, with possible build-your-own Wych cult rules.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deified Data posted:

New box is definitely inferior in every respect but maybe GW knows something about Wych Cult that we currently don't.

They claim that they're "much improved" but who knows whether that's true.

Flavivirus posted:

Sounds like it's mandated by the army rules - if they mean what I think they mean when they say:

you'll have to have a pure Wych detachment, with possible build-your-own Wych cult rules.

Also this. I'm not clear that you necessarily have to do pure detachments, because it references having them as a mix and "competing loyalties" or whatever, but who knows exactly what that means.

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah, the big issue is that having an IG detachment with your nids lets you exploit their fantastic relics and vehicles (one of said relics allowing you to negate the cost of taking another relic). It also bites into the actual GSC's niche.

Ideally GSC should have access to things you'd expect a low-ranking IG insurgency to have; sentinels, maybe a leman russ, certainly not shadowswords and prestigious artifacts.

Yeah it would be far better if there was a definite list of "appropriate" IG stuff and it was all in the Cult book rather than just being able to staple Guard-anything on to Tyranids.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Unlike a lot of start collecting boxes I'd say this one is awful for starting an army but decent for supplementing one, which was probably its intention.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Corrode posted:

They claim that they're "much improved" but who knows whether that's true.

mass haywire grenades are baaaaaaack

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Der Waffle Mous posted:

mass haywire grenades are baaaaaaack

I’m totally down for more armies having the “spend 1CP to totally nuke a target in grenades.” Death Guard have infantry, Drew Carrey can have vehicles.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
One sad thing with Forgebane - it does slightly annoy me that the new Cryptek doesn’t have a part for a Chronometron, since that seems like the obviously superior choice for the first one in your army. Planning to stick one of the Lychguard shields on his left arm to represent one since I’m building the guard with scythes, but it’s weird that the default for the shiny new model is basically the trap choice.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was surprised to see that the baby knight sprues are sized for the half-size "easy build" boxes. Do we know anything about their eventual solo cost?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

moths posted:

I was surprised to see that the baby knight sprues are sized for the half-size "easy build" boxes. Do we know anything about their eventual solo cost?

Nothing official, but since Knights were announced to be soon and plenty of people have remarked on the obvious things which suggest a more in-depth Armiger kit, it seems almost certain that this version will end up being sold separately as "Easy to Build" and then the one with better weapon variety and head choices etc. will be the regular version.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh dang.

:science::retrogames:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Nothing official, but since Knights were announced to be soon and plenty of people have remarked on the obvious things which suggest a more in-depth Armiger kit, it seems almost certain that this version will end up being sold separately as "Easy to Build" and then the one with better weapon variety and head choices etc. will be the regular version.

I'm only gonna build one of the forgebane ones so when a standalone kit happens I can use the leftover options on the 2nd forgebane one.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I'm seeing a lot of people starting, or thinking of starting an army of the spooky metal skeletons.
Makes me happy. :skeltal:

As shocking as a box without space marines was when forgebane was announced, given how popular it seems to be I'd not be surprised to see more of them. The only real milestone left is a box without any Imperium at all in it, which seems highly unlikely.

Then again, so did forgebane.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Groetgaffel posted:

I'm seeing a lot of people starting, or thinking of starting an army of the spooky metal skeletons.
Makes me happy. :skeltal:

As shocking as a box without space marines was when forgebane was announced, given how popular it seems to be I'd not be surprised to see more of them. The only real milestone left is a box without any Imperium at all in it, which seems highly unlikely.

Then again, so did forgebane.

Octarius War box with Orks and Nids :orks101:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

AnEdgelord posted:

Octarius War box with Orks and Nids :orks101:

That sounds like just a box of Orks with tons of bits to up-armor and weapon them.

Sign me the gently caress up.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

That sounds like just a box of Orks with tons of bits to up-armor and weapon them.

Sign me the gently caress up.

It's the perfect box set idea; whichever army you prefer can use the other [non-vehicle parts of the] army in its entirety in kitbash parts :v:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
At this point with the way GW loves their gigantic models and independent characters these days I'm pretty much expecting the new Ork codex to ship with a biotitan sized warboss character from Octarius.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 25, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Eifert Posting posted:

At this point with the way GW loves their gigantic models and independent these days I'm pretty much expecting the new Ork codex to ship with a biotitan sized warboss character from Octarius.

If its hulked out Ghazghkull who has gone full Beast 2.0 then I have zero problem with this

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
As someone who bought the first Knight via pre-order, I'm gonna wait a bit for the armigers to come out on their own before purchasing. That way I don't lose out on all the extra options and bits like the standard knight kit got. Which reminds me, I need to hit up ebay for some stuff...

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

One_Wing posted:

One sad thing with Forgebane - it does slightly annoy me that the new Cryptek doesn’t have a part for a Chronometron, since that seems like the obviously superior choice for the first one in your army. Planning to stick one of the Lychguard shields on his left arm to represent one since I’m building the guard with scythes, but it’s weird that the default for the shiny new model is basically the trap choice.

You either have the chronometron or the scarab surfboard, just stick him on the ground with a 32 mm base and you're golden.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I really hope pure Knights lists are actually a thing since I love the Idea of a bunch of big stompy mechwalkers murdering everything.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You either have the chronometron or the scarab surfboard, just stick him on the ground with a 32 mm base and you're golden.

I’m aware, but the whole model is built around the surfboard, so just not having it isn’t really an option (like, you literally have no way of attaching the model to the base without sticking it to the cloak). I’m not intending on doing any super serious must wysiwyg events with the necrons, so I figure having some sort of shield modelled on is good enough for pickup games.

Plus the surfboard is kickin rad, and I think the model will look cool with one of the shields.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Having just read over the leaked images (I hadn’t seen the whole set had come out), I’m deffo using the Forgebane model as my Novohk HQ for my Outrider detachment so it’s got the speed to follow along with Wraiths.

By the way, something I haven’t seen mentioned yet: Wraithform lets units assault the turn they fell back. :stonk:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Wraiths and destroyers look to be the stand out units.

Wraiths being able to fight twice is truly scary.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
They are getting a Heavy points increase as well but yeah they look nasty.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
6 destroyers with the nephrek dynasty to access the translocation crypt stratagem are dark reaper tier greasy.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

TKIY posted:

They are getting a Heavy points increase as well but yeah they look nasty.

330pts for a full unit with coils is totally worth it (not sure about whip coils yet). Unless someone pumps most of their army into killing it (18W w/ 3++) , an aggressive full unit of Wraiths backed up by a Cryptek just sounds gross. Hey! You killed five of them--so close! (Blows 2CP on RP for the Wraiths, 3 get back up)

That does remind me though, how is Reanimation Protocols handled for multi-wound models? Do they come back with 1 or at full health?

TWSS posted:

6 destroyers with the nephrek dynasty to access the translocation crypt stratagem are dark reaper tier greasy.

I agree, but with their speed they can make it to most targets pretty quickly or force your opponent to make hard choices. The melee reroll and option for double-fight with Novohk is just really clutch. I plan on using a Memphrit detachment of Nightscythes to dump forces into their backline.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 26, 2018

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Corrode posted:

Doesn't seem likely to me. In every other case, GW is using "Easy-to-Build" as a specific bit of branding attached to kits that are push-fit and can be assembled without glue, and which come in colored plastic. The Armiger Warglaive isn't that; it's one kit that goes together like a regular kit, and just happens to have all its weapons sequestered on one sprue.

What seems more likely to me is we'll see two or three other variants, each sold separately, all of which come with identical body and leg sprues, and each of which comes with one alternate sprue with a different set of arms. None of them will be branded "Easy to build" and there won't be a box that comes with one body and one pair of legs and two or three different arm build options.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Finished up my 6th mini, absolutely loved how he turned out.

But how do I attach this guy to his base? Right now he's just resting on it, and I'm a bit lost. Should I scrape some texture paint off and try to superglue, or should I greenstuff/pin him to the base?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Master Twig posted:

My totally objective, as a Tyranid player, view on Tyranid HQ choices and how they should be fairly priced:

Hive Tyrants - as stated above. Increase wings by 10, MRC +17 points. All the rest the same.
Swarmlord - Keep him 300 points. +2 attacks. Up damage to 4 on his boneswords. Let him cast an additional power and get +1 to his psychic tests.
Broodlords - drop by 34 points. Pay for MRCs. Final price is 145.
Tyranid Prime - Drop base price to 70.
Tervigon - Drop base price to 175.
Neurothrope - Increase to 80 points.
Malanthrope - Decrease to 115 points.
Ole One Eye - Decrease to 185 points.

This is the only correct thing and scientists the world over have confirmed it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

PierreTheMime posted:

330pts for a full unit with coils is totally worth it (not sure about whip coils yet). Unless someone pumps most of their army into killing it (18W w/ 3++) , an aggressive full unit of Wraiths backed up by a Cryptek just sounds gross. Hey! You killed five of them--so close! (Blows 2CP on RP for the Wraiths, 3 get back up)

That does remind me though, how is Reanimation Protocols handled for multi-wound models? Do they come back with 1 or at full health?

I agree, but with their speed they can make it to most targets pretty quickly or force your opponent to make hard choices. The melee reroll and option for double-fight with Novohk is just really clutch. I plan on using a Memphrit detachment of Nightscythes to dump forces into their backline.

Full health, as far as I know. Multiple wounded models doesn't exist in 8th.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

One_Wing posted:

Per the leaked beta codex, a Cryptek can take either a Chronometron or a Canoptek Cloak--same "slot." And since he's a Cloak model... :shrug:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Necromancy

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 23, 2019

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Corrode posted:

On which note: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/25/from-the-dark-city-they-come/

For gently caress sake GW, we had a good run where you were releasing factions I don't play, but between 'crons, DE, and Imperial Knights it's going to be an awkward few weeks.

I really wish I hadn't bought three of current start collecting boxes right now because goddamn has the Succubus been a bitch to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I was watching InControl's codex review for Necrons, and he mentioned in the beginning that a significant number of Tau players were not happy with the new Tau codex. The subtext made it seem like it was more about changing the style rather general weakness.

What's the deal my friends? Fluff changes? Rule changes to orient the army differently?

mostly "what the gently caress do I do with all these Commanders now???"